Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back ...on the train  (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just Back ...on the train  (merged)

This thread currently has 6,230 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
barralad
December 16, 2023, 6:20pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
A decent point on the road. To a man the team are playing with more confidence and whilst still not having the abilty to find the "killer" pass regularly, some of the passing and forward movement is very good to watch. Clifton had his best game of the season so far by a distance driving forward regularly and finding good positions. I'm afraid I don't recognise the description of Maher on the Match Thread as a liability. Both C.B.s looked solid. Their goal was a bit of a defensive aberration but we now have subs who can change a game. Marvellous ball from Gav and a brave, classy finish from Danny Rose. Only one team looked like winning it from the equaliser onwards and we probably should have taken better advantage of Newport's panic stations.
MOM between Clifton ,Gnouaha and Mullarkey (who has been reborn under Artell)

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Online
Private Message
Bristol Mariner
December 16, 2023, 6:22pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Just about right result, started well then then drifted off. Better 2nd half, could have one it at the end.  Glennon good, Cartwright looked calm, Rose put stint in, midfield not quite at the races. Next year we'll beat these home and away.

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 55
lukeo
December 16, 2023, 6:38pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,378
Gold Stars: 149
Second what you say. We tried to play it around when possible but in truth never deserved anymore than a point. Felt Glennon was brilliant running forward with the ball
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 55
MuddyWaters
December 16, 2023, 7:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,265
Gold Stars: 236
Thought that Clifton and Hunt coughed up possession on too many occasions today. Newport certainly pressed us more than either MK or Crewe - as DA said on interview, they played a different way and we weren't as effective with the ball. That said, we had enough chances again so all is not lost and it's probably a pretty good point.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 55
pontoonlew
December 16, 2023, 7:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,041
Gold Stars: 177
Thought Newport were very well drilled and tactical got it spot on against us. We struggled with the nice patterns of play that we’re already used to under Artell and that’s because Newport stopped it happening.

I thought Arthur, Clifton and especially Glennon were very good. Mullarkey had an off day and I felt Cartwright could’ve done better with the goal.

The goal brought us into life and in reality we should’ve gone on to win it in the end. Holohan made a big difference when he came on and should’ve buried his chance.

A lot to like still, if that’s a slightly off day then it’s probably quite a good sign.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 55
realist
December 16, 2023, 7:14pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,685
Gold Stars: 41
If we keep winning at home and getting a point on the road we will do well this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 55
MaccasBoots
December 16, 2023, 7:14pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Approval: +685
Gold Stars: 23
Have to say that, to my mind, if that performance occurs towards the end of the Hurst era, the comments on here would be far less positive.

We didn't make changes early enough when it was blindingly obvious that they were eventually going to score. We gave the ball away too easily, particularly when we had good opportunities to break. The goal was the result of a one in a million cross from Holohan - we were very lucky to come away with a point against what was a pretty mediocre Newport side.

I am very happy with Artell's appointment and incredibly hopeful for the direction we're headed in, but that was definitely our worst performance since he's taken over and don't think he should be spared the criticism that Hurst would have gotten in the same circumstances.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 55
TheRealJohnLewis
December 16, 2023, 7:17pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Clifton MotM, closely followed by Glennon, especially in the 2nd half when he was constantly turning and driving towards their goal, virtually everything good that happened went through him.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 55
MuddyWaters
December 16, 2023, 7:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MaccasBoots
Have to say that, to my mind, if that performance occurs towards the end of the Hurst era, the comments on here would be far less positive.

We didn't make changes early enough when it was blindingly obvious that they were eventually going to score. We gave the ball away too easily, particularly when we had good opportunities to break. The goal was the result of a one in a million cross from Holohan - we were very lucky to come away with a point against what was a pretty mediocre Newport side.

I am very happy with Artell's appointment and incredibly hopeful for the direction we're headed in, but that was definitely our worst performance since he's taken over and don't think he should be spared the criticism that Hurst would have gotten in the same circumstances.

I’ll counter that with the fact that we would have lost that game under Hurst. No, it wasn’t great but one point away is better than none.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 55
Spurn boy
December 16, 2023, 7:18pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,240
Gold Stars: 30
Thought we were the better team for the first 15 minutes and turned their players inside and out, Newport then started to get more physical and closed us down with their size and strength which stopped our fluent play. I thought we would come out 2nd half with a different game plan which we struggled to implement and was more to do with the physical strength of Newport and never really tested their keeper. After their goal which I don’t think was the fault of anyone I think we suddenly started to stretch them and deserved the equaliser and got a well earned point. Thought Hunt didn’t have the freedom with the ball as he normally has and that was down to Newport doing a job on him and when Holohan replaced him he was on a mission and as well as providing the assist for Rose with the cross should have scored himself. Thought Maher and Rodgers both had good games and when Glennon got going had another good game. Overall happy with a point. UTM

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 55
MaccasBoots
December 16, 2023, 7:20pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I’ll counter that with the fact that we would have lost that game under Hurst. No, it wasn’t great but one point away is better than none.

I suppose what I'm saying is that if we put in that performance and got that result with Hurst as manager instead of Artell, I can't help but feel that that the consensus on here would be a bit more critical, particularly re the lack of subs
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 55
ska face
December 16, 2023, 7:24pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,663
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from MaccasBoots

Yeah well maybe if Artell serves up something of that standard regularly over three years, rather than it being his worst performance of his first three weeks, then that might actually be a valid comparison.

Don’t strain yourself trying to give the bloke some grief.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 55
RonMariner
December 16, 2023, 7:25pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,730
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from MaccasBoots

Maybe so, but Artell inherited a team with four wins in 19 league games, that is quite a large oil tanker to turn around.  He has now got a home win and two away draws in the  three  games since he arrived which is pretty good going.

We have stopped giving away two goals per game  and when Pyke Wilson and Vernham are fit I think we will see more goals too. I am very confident that he will take us well up the table in the new year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 55
MaccasBoots
December 16, 2023, 7:27pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from ska face

Yeah well maybe if Artell serves up something of that standard regularly over three years, rather than it being his worst performance of his first three weeks, then that might actually be a valid comparison.

Don’t strain yourself trying to give the bloke some grief.

You've got me completely wrong - am a huge fan of Artell, think he's done fantastically since coming in, and am very optimistic about the direction we're going in.

I just think we should call a spade a spade, and not pretend like that was some fantastic performance where we were unlucky to only come away with a point against a superb Newport side - because I don't think that same approach would be taken by many on here if this were a Hurst game. That's all I was saying.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 55
MaccasBoots
December 16, 2023, 7:28pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from RonMariner

Maybe so, but Artell inherited a team with four wins in 19 league games, that is quite a large oil tanker to turn around.  He has now got a home win and two away draws in the  three  games since he arrived which is pretty good going.

We have stopped giving away two goals per game  and when Pyke Wilson and Vernham are fit I think we will see more goals too. I am very confident that he will take us well up the table in the new year.

I completely agree with you - think he's done a fantastic job since coming in and that we are on our way to a really strong second half of the season! Just don't think that was a particularly good performance is all!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 55
Lord Gadiform
December 16, 2023, 7:31pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +112
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from MaccasBoots

I suppose what I'm saying is that if we put in that performance and got that result with Hurst as manager instead of Artell, I can't help but feel that that the consensus on here would be a bit more critical, particularly re the lack of subs

Also sat on a train on way home. Likely an unpopular opinion but agree with Maccasboots. If that was a performance under Hurst it would get pelters. Counter argument is improvement doesn’t come in straight lines. Totally open minded towards Artell. Only been at 3 of his 4 games. Hopes it works out and open minded but surely too early to be judging either way.

It's no fish ye're buying: It's men's lives.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 55
Spurn boy
December 16, 2023, 7:31pm

Snakebite drinker
Quoted from MaccasBoots

It wasn’t a bad performance, Newport did a job using their size and physicality and a few weeks ago we would have caved in but we didn’t we got a well deserved point from a game that was always going to be tough.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 55
Bigdog
December 16, 2023, 7:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Spurn boy
Thought we were the better team for the first 15 minutes and turned their players inside and out, Newport then started to get more physical and closed us down with their size and strength which stopped our fluent play. I thought we would come out 2nd half with a different game plan which we struggled to implement and was more to do with the physical strength of Newport and never really tested their keeper. After their goal which I don’t think was the fault of anyone I think we suddenly started to stretch them and deserved the equaliser and got a well earned point. Thought Hunt didn’t have the freedom with the ball as he normally has and that was down to Newport doing a job on him and when Holohan replaced him he was on a mission and as well as providing the assist for Rose with the cross should have scored himself. Thought Maher and Rodgers both had good games and when Glennon got going had another good game. Overall happy with a point. UTM

Those three were the stand outs for me, and while not finding perfect executions, Clifton's energy levels are back. He tried extremely hard to make things happen..

A few more weeks of Artell's pass and move drills in training, and I think we'll have more than enough to beat a limited but very mobile and aggressive team like Newport....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 55
Mappers
December 16, 2023, 7:36pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,341
Gold Stars: 119
Arthur is a very good player was one of the main things I took from this and the MK Dons game , the ball seems to be stuck to his foot when he dribbles / receives it ; I hope he gets a long run in the team as I think once this more creative/technical style settles in he could be a really key player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 55
RonMariner
December 16, 2023, 7:36pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Spurn boy

It wasn’t a bad performance, Newport did a job using their size and physicality and a few weeks ago we would have caved in but we didn’t we got a well deserved point from a game that was always going to be tough.

Yes, we are certainly resilient. It seems the mind set of the players is really improving.

When I saw the score flash with Bogle's goal I was confident that all was not lost. A couple of months ago it was game over when ever we went behind and when we scored first it seemed only a matter of time before we conceded. So things definitely looking up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 55
lukeo
December 16, 2023, 7:42pm
Season Ticket Holder
Faulty Train. Currently stuck just past bristol in a stationary train. Yay.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 55
HertsGTFC
December 16, 2023, 7:43pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,956
Gold Stars: 228
Interesting to hear Artell’s post match when he talked about asking Shaun & Ben to take 5 mins to think about what changes to make and present him with their options & credit to him listened made the changes.

He’s not only coaching players he’s coaching the coaches, different level this guy for sure.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 55
Bigdog
December 16, 2023, 7:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Mappers
Arthur is a very good player was one of the main things I took from this and the MK Dons game , the ball seems to be stuck to his foot when he dribbles / receives it ; I hope he gets a long run in the team as I think once this more creative/technical style settles in he could be a really key player.

Yes he's a good player, but I thought he was a bit indecisive and ponderous with the ball and could have been a bit more direct and decisive than he was. Frustrated me a bit today....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 55
IlkleyMariner
December 16, 2023, 7:44pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 69
I’m delighted
Predicted 1-1 and Rose to score in prediction league.

Long way off the leader but still half a season to go….
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 55
acko338
December 16, 2023, 7:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,223
Gold Stars: 33
I think that Hunt needed to be subbed earlier, and the reason being that he can make great passes, but can also get caught on the ball by more physical opponents with nudges and pushes that the ref was not seeing.

Holohan came on like a locomotive train, with something to prove and immediately impacted the game.

10 minutes earlier on, who knows?

My other bug bear - shoot on sight, especially if in the centre and around the box area.  

Morris nearly scored with a 25 yard screamer, why don't our players take a chance?

If 1 in 5 score a goal, great, confident players will get the crowd going as well !

The positions are being made - take the shot !!!

Make Mullarkay practice centres, please  getting where needed, end product needs improvement !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 55
Lord Gadiform
December 16, 2023, 7:56pm
Shandy Drinker
Approval: +112
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from RonMariner

Yes, we are certainly resilient. It seems the mind set of the players is really improving.

When I saw the score flash with Bogle's goal I was confident that all was not lost. A couple of months ago it was game over when ever we went behind and when we scored first it seemed only a matter of time before we conceded. So things definitely looking up.

You can assess the mindset of the players and the likely outcome of the game based on a score flash? Think that’s an emotional response and fantasy rather than any kind of considered or rational argument.

It's no fish ye're buying: It's men's lives.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 55
DB
December 16, 2023, 8:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,031
Gold Stars: 389
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
I’m delighted
Predicted 1-1 and Rose to score in prediction league.

Long way off the leader but still half a season to go….

I'll put the full table & results on tomorrow, but not as far off the lead as you think. You are only 22 points behind the leader and scored 11 points today.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 55
Mappers
December 16, 2023, 9:02pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from DB

I'll put the full table & results on tomorrow, but not as far off the lead as you think. You are only 22 points behind the leader and scored 11 points today.

Great work mate much appreciated by all I'm sure
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 55
Spurn boy
December 16, 2023, 9:25pm

Snakebite drinker
Quoted from acko338
I think that Hunt needed to be subbed earlier, and the reason being that he can make great passes, but can also get caught on the ball by more physical opponents with nudges and pushes that the ref was not seeing.

Holohan came on like a locomotive train, with something to prove and immediately impacted the game.

My other bug bear - shoot on sight, especially if in the centre and around the box area.  

Morris nearly scored with a 25 yard screamer, why don't our players take a chance?

If 1 in 5 score a goal, great, confident players will get the crowd going as well !

Make Mullarkay practice centres, please  getting where needed, end product needs improvement !

Morris had 3 efforts from outside the box, one bobbled about 5 yards wide and two flew high over the bar because he was closed down by town defenders and he wasn’t allowed the time and space, we did have chances and Holohan should have done better when he blasted over from 6 yards. Eisa did have a couple of efforts that lacked direction and pace and Newport restricted him to having to pass instead off shooting.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 55
Kris2
December 16, 2023, 9:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from acko338

I think our players did take chances, Newport closed the ball down every time and blocked shots from the edge of the area, they also successfully crowded Eisa out from cutting inside for a shot which they'd clearly done their homework on.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 55
GrimPol
December 16, 2023, 10:16pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -678
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from MaccasBoots

We drew against a well-drilled capable side, who outheaded us and sprayed the ball diagonally quite well. We didn't score when we had them under the cosh, but that is something that has been a season long problem. We also allow the opposition free headers and shots in the penalty area, again a season-long problem. However, since Doncaster we have not lost a league match, and DA has played a better tune from PH's disorganised "instrument" to an extent where we are nearer the playoffs than the drop. We were in freefall at Doncaster.
There will be a time when DA (if not already) has concluded that one or two players are just not quite technically or organisationally up to it, and he can make changes in January.
I'm really looking forward to the second half of the season. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 55
WOZOFGRIMSBY
December 16, 2023, 10:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,839
Gold Stars: 178
Not sure if it’s mentioned in the match thread, but the Newport pitch looked amazing. Am sort of presuming it’s not a 3G pitch (am guessing it’s not allowed, yet!)

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 55
Lincspoacher
December 16, 2023, 10:35pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +303
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis
Clifton MotM, closely followed by Glennon, especially in the 2nd half when he was constantly turning and driving towards their goal, virtually everything good that happened went through him.

Clifton man of the match😁

5 of us travelled back in the car from the game and everyone one of us calling for manager to please drop him as he is playing awful at the moment.

His technical limitations not compensated anymore by running, tackling and being a pest, as we are now trying to play football.

Harry a great lad, but should be nowhere near the starting midfield based on performances in last 10 games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 55
RonMariner
December 16, 2023, 10:55pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Lord Gadiform

You can assess the mindset of the players and the likely outcome of the game based on a score flash? Think that’s an emotional response and fantasy rather than any kind of considered or rational argument.

I didn’t say I could assess the mindset of the players based on a score flash . That would be silly.

The point I was trying to make is that my expectations have changed given recent events. It’s not an emotional response at all. Simply confidence based on the way our current form has improved. As it happens I was right not to give up hope that we could get something out of the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 55
MuddyWaters
December 16, 2023, 11:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Lincspoacher

5 of us travelled back in the car from the game and everyone one of us calling for manager to please drop him as he is playing awful at the moment.

His technical limitations not compensated anymore by running, tackling and being a pest, as we are now trying to play football.

Harry a great lad, but should be nowhere near the starting midfield based on performances in last 10 games.

Totally agree, Harry isn’t a good fit for what DA seems to want. He can’t see a pass let alone complete one. Watched a stream today with Humberside commentary and Alex Rodman described one Harry attempted pass as “woeful “. He was being very polite.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 55
Chrisblor
December 16, 2023, 11:34pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,871
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Not sure if it’s mentioned in the match thread, but the Newport pitch looked amazing. Am sort of presuming it’s not a 3G pitch (am guessing it’s not allowed, yet!)

Matt Dean mentioned during commentary that he spoke to the groundsman before the match and was informed it was 95% grass / 5% artificial turf mix.

gary jones
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 55
forza ivano
December 17, 2023, 12:08am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,209
Gold Stars: 265
That's 1 defeat in 9 after 3 wins in 21 .
suspect it's significant that the 2 worst performances have been against Sutton n Newport, the 2 teams that play physical, up and at em footie. Hurst never figured out how to counter these teams and it seems Artell will have to do some thinking if he's not to fall into the same trap
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 55
lukeo
December 17, 2023, 3:29am
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

They won best pitch of the season for all divisions last season according to a very friendly steward yesterday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 55
pontoonlew
December 17, 2023, 7:03am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,041
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from Lincspoacher

For the most part I agree re Clifton and I’ve long thought he’s far more limited than a lot seem to think he is. However, I really don’t agree that yesterday was an example of that. I thought he carried the ball forward really well yesterday and created us some much needed space on multiple occasions. He should’ve done better with the chance from Glennons excellent pass but I didn’t see him as particularly wasteful at any other point.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 55
Maringer
December 17, 2023, 7:58am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,562
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from forza ivano
suspect it's significant that the 2 worst performances have been against Sutton n Newport, the 2 teams that play physical, up and at em footie. Hurst never figured out how to counter these teams and it seems Artell will have to do some thinking if he's not to fall into the same trap

The physical up and at 'em teams have physical up and at 'em players. Most of ours aren't of this type, with the odd exception - Waterfall, Green, probably Efete and Holohan/Clifton to a lesser degree.

You always need to outplay these teams as you aren't going to be able to beat them at their own game if you're lacking the necessary 'muscle'.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 55
lukeo
December 17, 2023, 8:06am
Season Ticket Holder
I said on around the 55th minute we need to change something in the middle as we're being physically out muscled and played. He made the right subs in my opinion just 15 minutes later than I hoped.
Fair play for nicking a point though and like people say, we're still unbeaten under the gaffer. We go again Saturday. Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 55
MrThirsty
December 17, 2023, 10:30am
Shandy Drinker
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +236
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from forza ivano

I agree to some extent that we have struggled in the past against large physical teams but last season we took eight points from the four games against Sutton and Newport, two away wins and two home draws.

I particularly remember watching the away game against Sutton, on the Tuesday before the Brighton game with little expectation assuming players would not want to get injured before such a big game. The currently maligned Clifton, unfairly in my opinion, straight from their kick off hammered their receiving player in what must have been a planned tactic to let them know we would not be bullied. Our aggression that night clearly rattled them and we won the game. I’m sure Artell will be able to devise the right approach to counter these type of teams.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 55
mariner91
December 17, 2023, 10:37am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,666
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Lincspoacher

I would agree with this reluctantly. I don’t think Clifton is anywhere near technically good enough to be starting in centre mid for a team with aspirations of reaching the play offs or better in L2, particularly one wishing to play through the thirds rather than a more combative approach. Didn’t go yesterday but even last week in a relatively good performance by the team, there was still a 20 minute period in the second half where he lost the ball virtually every time he had it. He just doesn’t have the awareness, the touch or the passing ability to consistently look after the ball in the middle of the pitch.

He’s got some fantastic attributes in his engine, his work rate and his fantastic attitude. But I would be very surprised if DA didn’t look to replace him with someone who can also get around the pitch but is better with the ball in the summer. Clifton suits a Jolley or a Hurst who value being hard to beat above trying to play a certain way but ultimately despite his good attributes he’s still not a good L2 central midfielder.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 55
Maringer
December 17, 2023, 10:50am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,562
Gold Stars: 185
For a player who wants to be a central midfielder, it's notable that Clifton's best season for us was when he was playing out wide...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 55
Mappers
December 17, 2023, 10:54am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
For a player who wants to be a central midfielder, it's notable that Clifton's best season for us was when he was playing out wide...

Agree I think a more interesting debate would be is Clifton better than Eisa/Khan and Vernam as a left midfield player ?

He has completely different attributes, but was very good in the promotion season and our first season back in the league - seems to suit him more seeing less of the ball at times, but being able to get in the box well from there and scoring a good few goals.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 55
arryarryarry
December 17, 2023, 11:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,035
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from lukeo
I said on around the 55th minute we need to change something in the middle as we're being physically out muscled and played. He made the right subs in my opinion just 15 minutes later than I hoped.
Fair play for nicking a point though and like people say, we're still unbeaten under the gaffer. We go again Saturday. Utm

I think DA suggested in his BBC interview that he may have done that.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 55
headingly_mariner
December 17, 2023, 11:14am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,381
Quoted from mariner91

I would agree with this reluctantly. I don’t think Clifton is anywhere near technically good enough to be starting in centre mid for a team with aspirations of reaching the play offs or better in L2, particularly one wishing to play through the thirds rather than a more combative approach. Didn’t go yesterday but even last week in a relatively good performance by the team, there was still a 20 minute period in the second half where he lost the ball virtually every time he had it. He just doesn’t have the awareness, the touch or the passing ability to consistently look after the ball in the middle of the pitch.

He’s got some fantastic attributes in his engine, his work rate and his fantastic attitude. But I would be very surprised if DA didn’t look to replace him with someone who can also get around the pitch but is better with the ball in the summer. Clifton suits a Jolley or a Hurst who value being hard to beat above trying to play a certain way but ultimately despite his good attributes he’s still not a good L2 central midfielder.

It's about having a balance isn't it. He can't do the things Hunt and Conteh can do with the ball. But they can't match his energy and drive. He created loads of space for us yesterday, got in some great positions and on another day might have ended with a goal or assist.

He was comfortably our best player last season. Yesterday it was Hunt who was really struggling.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 55
mariner91
December 17, 2023, 11:22am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,666
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from headingly_mariner

It's about having a balance isn't it. He can't do the things Hunt and Conteh can do with the ball. But they can't match his energy and drive. He created loads of space for us yesterday, got in some great positions and on another day might have ended with a goal or assist.

He was comfortably our best player last season. Yesterday it was Hunt who was really struggling.

Absolutely you need a good balance. But I still don’t think Clifton would be a regular starter in central midfield in a team that was in the play offs or higher.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 55
lukeo
December 17, 2023, 11:35am
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from arryarryarry

I think DA suggested in his BBC interview that he may have done that.

I haven't listened, if that's the case what a breath of fresh air a manager saying it as it is
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 55
GrimPol
December 17, 2023, 11:36am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

It was mentioned by the Radio Hum it is 5% Plastic and 95% Grass. They would need it as Rugby is played on it as could be seen by the feint other markings.
Looked good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 55
GrimPol
December 17, 2023, 12:31pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Lincspoacher

Up to Doncaster the team played as strangers for the most of the time, so one couldn't put a finger if the poor results and play were organisational or just technical. Take the GK Eastwood, While he's taken the blame, I'm sure he lost faith in his backs very early on and lost his nerve being used as target practice all match long.  As DA is reshaping how the team plays some players have stepped up and fit in with the new system. Hunt  Gnahoua Conteh Glennon Maher Rose are flourishing whilst others are flagging and spottable gaps appearing. I think Clifton shined in a team that was lethargic with an aversion to passing and going forward, and now that the team does attack with much smoother and professional moves, Clifton's manic and often dead end charges are becoming a liability. I hope DA spends the time to set HC on the new path as it would be a shame to lose one our own.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 55
Spurn boy
December 17, 2023, 12:32pm

Snakebite drinker
Quoted from GrimPol

It was mentioned by the Radio Hum it is 5% Plastic and 95% Grass. They would need it as Rugby is played on it as could be seen by the feint other markings.
Looked good.

I remember a few years ago the pitch looked like Cleethorpes beach with the tide out and was constantly waterlogged and then frozen, I think they were constantly postponing games because the pitch was unplayable. Looked very good yesterday.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 55
rancido
December 17, 2023, 12:52pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Interesting to hear Artell’s post match when he talked about asking Shaun & Ben to take 5 mins to think about what changes to make and present him with their options & credit to him listened made the changes.

He’s not only coaching players he’s coaching the coaches, different level this guy for sure.

Does anybody have a link to the post match interview - I can't seem to find it.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 55
HertsGTFC
December 17, 2023, 1:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,956
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from rancido

Does anybody have a link to the post match interview - I can't seem to find it.

This might work http://bbc.in/48h03Ov

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 55
rancido
December 17, 2023, 2:45pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from HertsGTFC

This might work http://bbc.in/48h03Ov

Thanks - that's what I wanted.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 55
Son of Cod
December 17, 2023, 6:27pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
I can see both sides of the argument regarding Clifton yesterday. His performance was essentially a microcosm of his overall ability. Like Lew said, he was terrific at carrying the ball forward at times and his workrate was outstanding. However, he scuffed the one big chance that came his way and a fair few moves broke down when it came to him on the ball. All completely and utterly Harry Clifton traits and they have been ever since he broke through.

I don't necessarily agree with the notion that he has no place in an Artell squad or even a lineup playing possession based football. He retains his place in the squad due to his versatility alone and is always in with a shout of starting due to his ridiculous engine. What is telling though is that he hasn't started a match under Artell alongside Holohan and I suspect that will continue.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 55
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back ...on the train  (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.