Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back ...on the train  (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just Back ...on the train  (merged)

This thread currently has 6,229 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
lukeo
December 17, 2023, 8:06am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,376
Gold Stars: 148
I said on around the 55th minute we need to change something in the middle as we're being physically out muscled and played. He made the right subs in my opinion just 15 minutes later than I hoped.
Fair play for nicking a point though and like people say, we're still unbeaten under the gaffer. We go again Saturday. Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 55
MrThirsty
December 17, 2023, 10:30am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +236
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from forza ivano
That's 1 defeat in 9 after 3 wins in 21 .
suspect it's significant that the 2 worst performances have been against Sutton n Newport, the 2 teams that play physical, up and at em footie. Hurst never figured out how to counter these teams and it seems Artell will have to do some thinking if he's not to fall into the same trap

I agree to some extent that we have struggled in the past against large physical teams but last season we took eight points from the four games against Sutton and Newport, two away wins and two home draws.

I particularly remember watching the away game against Sutton, on the Tuesday before the Brighton game with little expectation assuming players would not want to get injured before such a big game. The currently maligned Clifton, unfairly in my opinion, straight from their kick off hammered their receiving player in what must have been a planned tactic to let them know we would not be bullied. Our aggression that night clearly rattled them and we won the game. I’m sure Artell will be able to devise the right approach to counter these type of teams.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 55
mariner91
December 17, 2023, 10:37am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,662
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Lincspoacher

Clifton man of the match😁

5 of us travelled back in the car from the game and everyone one of us calling for manager to please drop him as he is playing awful at the moment.

His technical limitations not compensated anymore by running, tackling and being a pest, as we are now trying to play football.

Harry a great lad, but should be nowhere near the starting midfield based on performances in last 10 games.

I would agree with this reluctantly. I don’t think Clifton is anywhere near technically good enough to be starting in centre mid for a team with aspirations of reaching the play offs or better in L2, particularly one wishing to play through the thirds rather than a more combative approach. Didn’t go yesterday but even last week in a relatively good performance by the team, there was still a 20 minute period in the second half where he lost the ball virtually every time he had it. He just doesn’t have the awareness, the touch or the passing ability to consistently look after the ball in the middle of the pitch.

He’s got some fantastic attributes in his engine, his work rate and his fantastic attitude. But I would be very surprised if DA didn’t look to replace him with someone who can also get around the pitch but is better with the ball in the summer. Clifton suits a Jolley or a Hurst who value being hard to beat above trying to play a certain way but ultimately despite his good attributes he’s still not a good L2 central midfielder.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 55
Maringer
December 17, 2023, 10:50am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,556
Gold Stars: 185
For a player who wants to be a central midfielder, it's notable that Clifton's best season for us was when he was playing out wide...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 55
Mappers
December 17, 2023, 10:54am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,337
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from Maringer
For a player who wants to be a central midfielder, it's notable that Clifton's best season for us was when he was playing out wide...

Agree I think a more interesting debate would be is Clifton better than Eisa/Khan and Vernam as a left midfield player ?

He has completely different attributes, but was very good in the promotion season and our first season back in the league - seems to suit him more seeing less of the ball at times, but being able to get in the box well from there and scoring a good few goals.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 55
arryarryarry
December 17, 2023, 11:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from lukeo
I said on around the 55th minute we need to change something in the middle as we're being physically out muscled and played. He made the right subs in my opinion just 15 minutes later than I hoped.
Fair play for nicking a point though and like people say, we're still unbeaten under the gaffer. We go again Saturday. Utm

I think DA suggested in his BBC interview that he may have done that.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 55
headingly_mariner
December 17, 2023, 11:14am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,379
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from mariner91

I would agree with this reluctantly. I don’t think Clifton is anywhere near technically good enough to be starting in centre mid for a team with aspirations of reaching the play offs or better in L2, particularly one wishing to play through the thirds rather than a more combative approach. Didn’t go yesterday but even last week in a relatively good performance by the team, there was still a 20 minute period in the second half where he lost the ball virtually every time he had it. He just doesn’t have the awareness, the touch or the passing ability to consistently look after the ball in the middle of the pitch.

He’s got some fantastic attributes in his engine, his work rate and his fantastic attitude. But I would be very surprised if DA didn’t look to replace him with someone who can also get around the pitch but is better with the ball in the summer. Clifton suits a Jolley or a Hurst who value being hard to beat above trying to play a certain way but ultimately despite his good attributes he’s still not a good L2 central midfielder.

It's about having a balance isn't it. He can't do the things Hunt and Conteh can do with the ball. But they can't match his energy and drive. He created loads of space for us yesterday, got in some great positions and on another day might have ended with a goal or assist.

He was comfortably our best player last season. Yesterday it was Hunt who was really struggling.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 55
mariner91
December 17, 2023, 11:22am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,662
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from headingly_mariner

It's about having a balance isn't it. He can't do the things Hunt and Conteh can do with the ball. But they can't match his energy and drive. He created loads of space for us yesterday, got in some great positions and on another day might have ended with a goal or assist.

He was comfortably our best player last season. Yesterday it was Hunt who was really struggling.

Absolutely you need a good balance. But I still don’t think Clifton would be a regular starter in central midfield in a team that was in the play offs or higher.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 55
lukeo
December 17, 2023, 11:35am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,376
Gold Stars: 148
Quoted from arryarryarry

I think DA suggested in his BBC interview that he may have done that.

I haven't listened, if that's the case what a breath of fresh air a manager saying it as it is
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 55
GrimPol
December 17, 2023, 11:36am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Not sure if it’s mentioned in the match thread, but the Newport pitch looked amazing. Am sort of presuming it’s not a 3G pitch (am guessing it’s not allowed, yet!)

It was mentioned by the Radio Hum it is 5% Plastic and 95% Grass. They would need it as Rugby is played on it as could be seen by the feint other markings.
Looked good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back ...on the train  (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.