Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back ...on the train  (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just Back ...on the train  (merged)

This thread currently has 6,223 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
barralad
December 16, 2023, 6:20pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
A decent point on the road. To a man the team are playing with more confidence and whilst still not having the abilty to find the "killer" pass regularly, some of the passing and forward movement is very good to watch. Clifton had his best game of the season so far by a distance driving forward regularly and finding good positions. I'm afraid I don't recognise the description of Maher on the Match Thread as a liability. Both C.B.s looked solid. Their goal was a bit of a defensive aberration but we now have subs who can change a game. Marvellous ball from Gav and a brave, classy finish from Danny Rose. Only one team looked like winning it from the equaliser onwards and we probably should have taken better advantage of Newport's panic stations.
MOM between Clifton ,Gnouaha and Mullarkey (who has been reborn under Artell)

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Bristol Mariner
December 16, 2023, 6:22pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Just about right result, started well then then drifted off. Better 2nd half, could have one it at the end.  Glennon good, Cartwright looked calm, Rose put stint in, midfield not quite at the races. Next year we'll beat these home and away.

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 55
lukeo
December 16, 2023, 6:38pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Second what you say. We tried to play it around when possible but in truth never deserved anymore than a point. Felt Glennon was brilliant running forward with the ball
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 55
MuddyWaters
December 16, 2023, 7:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,244
Gold Stars: 235
Thought that Clifton and Hunt coughed up possession on too many occasions today. Newport certainly pressed us more than either MK or Crewe - as DA said on interview, they played a different way and we weren't as effective with the ball. That said, we had enough chances again so all is not lost and it's probably a pretty good point.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 55
pontoonlew
December 16, 2023, 7:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,033
Gold Stars: 176
Thought Newport were very well drilled and tactical got it spot on against us. We struggled with the nice patterns of play that we’re already used to under Artell and that’s because Newport stopped it happening.

I thought Arthur, Clifton and especially Glennon were very good. Mullarkey had an off day and I felt Cartwright could’ve done better with the goal.

The goal brought us into life and in reality we should’ve gone on to win it in the end. Holohan made a big difference when he came on and should’ve buried his chance.

A lot to like still, if that’s a slightly off day then it’s probably quite a good sign.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 55
realist
December 16, 2023, 7:14pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,685
Gold Stars: 41
If we keep winning at home and getting a point on the road we will do well this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 55
MaccasBoots
December 16, 2023, 7:14pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Approval: +676
Gold Stars: 23
Have to say that, to my mind, if that performance occurs towards the end of the Hurst era, the comments on here would be far less positive.

We didn't make changes early enough when it was blindingly obvious that they were eventually going to score. We gave the ball away too easily, particularly when we had good opportunities to break. The goal was the result of a one in a million cross from Holohan - we were very lucky to come away with a point against what was a pretty mediocre Newport side.

I am very happy with Artell's appointment and incredibly hopeful for the direction we're headed in, but that was definitely our worst performance since he's taken over and don't think he should be spared the criticism that Hurst would have gotten in the same circumstances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 55
TheRealJohnLewis
December 16, 2023, 7:17pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Clifton MotM, closely followed by Glennon, especially in the 2nd half when he was constantly turning and driving towards their goal, virtually everything good that happened went through him.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 55
MuddyWaters
December 16, 2023, 7:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,244
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from MaccasBoots
Have to say that, to my mind, if that performance occurs towards the end of the Hurst era, the comments on here would be far less positive.

We didn't make changes early enough when it was blindingly obvious that they were eventually going to score. We gave the ball away too easily, particularly when we had good opportunities to break. The goal was the result of a one in a million cross from Holohan - we were very lucky to come away with a point against what was a pretty mediocre Newport side.

I am very happy with Artell's appointment and incredibly hopeful for the direction we're headed in, but that was definitely our worst performance since he's taken over and don't think he should be spared the criticism that Hurst would have gotten in the same circumstances.

I’ll counter that with the fact that we would have lost that game under Hurst. No, it wasn’t great but one point away is better than none.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 55
Spurn boy
December 16, 2023, 7:18pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,238
Gold Stars: 27
Thought we were the better team for the first 15 minutes and turned their players inside and out, Newport then started to get more physical and closed us down with their size and strength which stopped our fluent play. I thought we would come out 2nd half with a different game plan which we struggled to implement and was more to do with the physical strength of Newport and never really tested their keeper. After their goal which I don’t think was the fault of anyone I think we suddenly started to stretch them and deserved the equaliser and got a well earned point. Thought Hunt didn’t have the freedom with the ball as he normally has and that was down to Newport doing a job on him and when Holohan replaced him he was on a mission and as well as providing the assist for Rose with the cross should have scored himself. Thought Maher and Rodgers both had good games and when Glennon got going had another good game. Overall happy with a point. UTM

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 55
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back ...on the train  (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.