Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back ...on the train  (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just Back ...on the train  (merged)

This thread currently has 6,224 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
MaccasBoots
December 16, 2023, 7:20pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Approval: +681
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I’ll counter that with the fact that we would have lost that game under Hurst. No, it wasn’t great but one point away is better than none.

I suppose what I'm saying is that if we put in that performance and got that result with Hurst as manager instead of Artell, I can't help but feel that that the consensus on here would be a bit more critical, particularly re the lack of subs
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 55
ska face
December 16, 2023, 7:24pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from MaccasBoots
Have to say that, to my mind, if that performance occurs towards the end of the Hurst era, the comments on here would be far less positive.

I am very happy with Artell's appointment and incredibly hopeful for the direction we're headed in, but that was definitely our worst performance since he's taken over and don't think he should be spared the criticism that Hurst would have gotten in the same circumstances.

Yeah well maybe if Artell serves up something of that standard regularly over three years, rather than it being his worst performance of his first three weeks, then that might actually be a valid comparison.

Don’t strain yourself trying to give the bloke some grief.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 55
RonMariner
December 16, 2023, 7:25pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,693
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from MaccasBoots
Have to say that, to my mind, if that performance occurs towards the end of the Hurst era, the comments on here would be far less positive.

We didn't make changes early enough when it was blindingly obvious that they were eventually going to score. We gave the ball away too easily, particularly when we had good opportunities to break. The goal was the result of a one in a million cross from Holohan - we were very lucky to come away with a point against what was a pretty mediocre Newport side.

I am very happy with Artell's appointment and incredibly hopeful for the direction we're headed in, but that was definitely our worst performance since he's taken over and don't think he should be spared the criticism that Hurst would have gotten in the same circumstances.

Maybe so, but Artell inherited a team with four wins in 19 league games, that is quite a large oil tanker to turn around.  He has now got a home win and two away draws in the  three  games since he arrived which is pretty good going.

We have stopped giving away two goals per game  and when Pyke Wilson and Vernham are fit I think we will see more goals too. I am very confident that he will take us well up the table in the new year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 55
MaccasBoots
December 16, 2023, 7:27pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from ska face

Yeah well maybe if Artell serves up something of that standard regularly over three years, rather than it being his worst performance of his first three weeks, then that might actually be a valid comparison.

Don’t strain yourself trying to give the bloke some grief.

You've got me completely wrong - am a huge fan of Artell, think he's done fantastically since coming in, and am very optimistic about the direction we're going in.

I just think we should call a spade a spade, and not pretend like that was some fantastic performance where we were unlucky to only come away with a point against a superb Newport side - because I don't think that same approach would be taken by many on here if this were a Hurst game. That's all I was saying.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 55
MaccasBoots
December 16, 2023, 7:28pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from RonMariner

Maybe so, but Artell inherited a team with four wins in 19 league games, that is quite a large oil tanker to turn around.  He has now got a home win and two away draws in the  three  games since he arrived which is pretty good going.

We have stopped giving away two goals per game  and when Pyke Wilson and Vernham are fit I think we will see more goals too. I am very confident that he will take us well up the table in the new year.

I completely agree with you - think he's done a fantastic job since coming in and that we are on our way to a really strong second half of the season! Just don't think that was a particularly good performance is all!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 55
Lord Gadiform
December 16, 2023, 7:31pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +113
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from MaccasBoots

I suppose what I'm saying is that if we put in that performance and got that result with Hurst as manager instead of Artell, I can't help but feel that that the consensus on here would be a bit more critical, particularly re the lack of subs

Also sat on a train on way home. Likely an unpopular opinion but agree with Maccasboots. If that was a performance under Hurst it would get pelters. Counter argument is improvement doesn’t come in straight lines. Totally open minded towards Artell. Only been at 3 of his 4 games. Hopes it works out and open minded but surely too early to be judging either way.

It's no fish ye're buying: It's men's lives.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 55
Spurn boy
December 16, 2023, 7:31pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,238
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from MaccasBoots

It wasn’t a bad performance, Newport did a job using their size and physicality and a few weeks ago we would have caved in but we didn’t we got a well deserved point from a game that was always going to be tough.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 55
Bigdog
December 16, 2023, 7:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Spurn boy
Thought we were the better team for the first 15 minutes and turned their players inside and out, Newport then started to get more physical and closed us down with their size and strength which stopped our fluent play. I thought we would come out 2nd half with a different game plan which we struggled to implement and was more to do with the physical strength of Newport and never really tested their keeper. After their goal which I don’t think was the fault of anyone I think we suddenly started to stretch them and deserved the equaliser and got a well earned point. Thought Hunt didn’t have the freedom with the ball as he normally has and that was down to Newport doing a job on him and when Holohan replaced him he was on a mission and as well as providing the assist for Rose with the cross should have scored himself. Thought Maher and Rodgers both had good games and when Glennon got going had another good game. Overall happy with a point. UTM

Those three were the stand outs for me, and while not finding perfect executions, Clifton's energy levels are back. He tried extremely hard to make things happen..

A few more weeks of Artell's pass and move drills in training, and I think we'll have more than enough to beat a limited but very mobile and aggressive team like Newport....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 55
Mappers
December 16, 2023, 7:36pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,318
Gold Stars: 117
Arthur is a very good player was one of the main things I took from this and the MK Dons game , the ball seems to be stuck to his foot when he dribbles / receives it ; I hope he gets a long run in the team as I think once this more creative/technical style settles in he could be a really key player.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 55
RonMariner
December 16, 2023, 7:36pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,693
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Spurn boy

It wasn’t a bad performance, Newport did a job using their size and physicality and a few weeks ago we would have caved in but we didn’t we got a well deserved point from a game that was always going to be tough.

Yes, we are certainly resilient. It seems the mind set of the players is really improving.

When I saw the score flash with Bogle's goal I was confident that all was not lost. A couple of months ago it was game over when ever we went behind and when we scored first it seemed only a matter of time before we conceded. So things definitely looking up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back ...on the train  (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.