Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back ...on the train  (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just Back ...on the train  (merged)

This thread currently has 6,225 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimPol
December 16, 2023, 10:16pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from MaccasBoots
Have to say that, to my mind, if that performance occurs towards the end of the Hurst era, the comments on here would be far less positive.

We didn't make changes early enough when it was blindingly obvious that they were eventually going to score. We gave the ball away too easily, particularly when we had good opportunities to break. The goal was the result of a one in a million cross from Holohan - we were very lucky to come away with a point against what was a pretty mediocre Newport side.

I am very happy with Artell's appointment and incredibly hopeful for the direction we're headed in, but that was definitely our worst performance since he's taken over and don't think he should be spared the criticism that Hurst would have gotten in the same circumstances.

We drew against a well-drilled capable side, who outheaded us and sprayed the ball diagonally quite well. We didn't score when we had them under the cosh, but that is something that has been a season long problem. We also allow the opposition free headers and shots in the penalty area, again a season-long problem. However, since Doncaster we have not lost a league match, and DA has played a better tune from PH's disorganised "instrument" to an extent where we are nearer the playoffs than the drop. We were in freefall at Doncaster.
There will be a time when DA (if not already) has concluded that one or two players are just not quite technically or organisationally up to it, and he can make changes in January.
I'm really looking forward to the second half of the season. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 55
WOZOFGRIMSBY
December 16, 2023, 10:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,842
Gold Stars: 178
Not sure if it’s mentioned in the match thread, but the Newport pitch looked amazing. Am sort of presuming it’s not a 3G pitch (am guessing it’s not allowed, yet!)

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 55
Lincspoacher
December 16, 2023, 10:35pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +303
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis
Clifton MotM, closely followed by Glennon, especially in the 2nd half when he was constantly turning and driving towards their goal, virtually everything good that happened went through him.

Clifton man of the match😁

5 of us travelled back in the car from the game and everyone one of us calling for manager to please drop him as he is playing awful at the moment.

His technical limitations not compensated anymore by running, tackling and being a pest, as we are now trying to play football.

Harry a great lad, but should be nowhere near the starting midfield based on performances in last 10 games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 55
RonMariner
December 16, 2023, 10:55pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,718
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Lord Gadiform

You can assess the mindset of the players and the likely outcome of the game based on a score flash? Think that’s an emotional response and fantasy rather than any kind of considered or rational argument.

I didn’t say I could assess the mindset of the players based on a score flash . That would be silly.

The point I was trying to make is that my expectations have changed given recent events. It’s not an emotional response at all. Simply confidence based on the way our current form has improved. As it happens I was right not to give up hope that we could get something out of the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 55
MuddyWaters
December 16, 2023, 11:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Lincspoacher

5 of us travelled back in the car from the game and everyone one of us calling for manager to please drop him as he is playing awful at the moment.

His technical limitations not compensated anymore by running, tackling and being a pest, as we are now trying to play football.

Harry a great lad, but should be nowhere near the starting midfield based on performances in last 10 games.

Totally agree, Harry isn’t a good fit for what DA seems to want. He can’t see a pass let alone complete one. Watched a stream today with Humberside commentary and Alex Rodman described one Harry attempted pass as “woeful “. He was being very polite.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 55
Chrisblor
December 16, 2023, 11:34pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,854
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Not sure if it’s mentioned in the match thread, but the Newport pitch looked amazing. Am sort of presuming it’s not a 3G pitch (am guessing it’s not allowed, yet!)

Matt Dean mentioned during commentary that he spoke to the groundsman before the match and was informed it was 95% grass / 5% artificial turf mix.

gary jones
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 55
forza ivano
December 17, 2023, 12:08am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,204
Gold Stars: 265
That's 1 defeat in 9 after 3 wins in 21 .
suspect it's significant that the 2 worst performances have been against Sutton n Newport, the 2 teams that play physical, up and at em footie. Hurst never figured out how to counter these teams and it seems Artell will have to do some thinking if he's not to fall into the same trap
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 55
lukeo
December 17, 2023, 3:29am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

They won best pitch of the season for all divisions last season according to a very friendly steward yesterday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 55
pontoonlew
December 17, 2023, 7:03am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,040
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from Lincspoacher

For the most part I agree re Clifton and I’ve long thought he’s far more limited than a lot seem to think he is. However, I really don’t agree that yesterday was an example of that. I thought he carried the ball forward really well yesterday and created us some much needed space on multiple occasions. He should’ve done better with the chance from Glennons excellent pass but I didn’t see him as particularly wasteful at any other point.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 55
Maringer
December 17, 2023, 7:58am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,537
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from forza ivano
That's 1 defeat in 9 after 3 wins in 21 .
suspect it's significant that the 2 worst performances have been against Sutton n Newport, the 2 teams that play physical, up and at em footie. Hurst never figured out how to counter these teams and it seems Artell will have to do some thinking if he's not to fall into the same trap

The physical up and at 'em teams have physical up and at 'em players. Most of ours aren't of this type, with the odd exception - Waterfall, Green, probably Efete and Holohan/Clifton to a lesser degree.

You always need to outplay these teams as you aren't going to be able to beat them at their own game if you're lacking the necessary 'muscle'.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back ...on the train  (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.