This thread currently has 3,819 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Ash brown
November 6, 2023, 8:23am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +22
Give glennon a run on the wing, rose and wilson would benefit greatly from the service he provides. Also we need to move the ball faster up the pitch, even against a less fit side like Slough we dawdled about waiting for them to get back behind the ball before we passed it a couple of times, got in trouble through a poor touch or excrement pass and lumped it to nobody.
Logged Offline
Private Message
lew chaterleys lover
November 6, 2023, 8:50am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,732
Gold Stars: 237
I wonder why the temporary management duo didn't make changed in personnel and tactics for the Slough game? Given Stockwood had suggested they could be in the running if things went well, they fell at the first hurdle using the team and tactics Hurst would have used. Perhaps they thought they would just up their game.

We clearly need new ideas and quick if this is the mindset running through the coaching staff.

Managers will not be here for too long. If they are very good they will get poached  or get the sack, so I hope the board don't bore applicants to death asking their views on everything but football management.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 43
ginnywings
November 6, 2023, 9:33am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
I wonder why the temporary management duo didn't make changed in personnel and tactics for the Slough game? Given Stockwood had suggested they could be in the running if things went well, they fell at the first hurdle using the team and tactics Hurst would have used. Perhaps they thought they would just up their game.

We clearly need new ideas and quick if this is the mindset running through the coaching staff.

Managers will not be here for too long. If they are very good they will get poached  or get the sack, so I hope the board don't bore applicants to death asking their views on everything but football management.

Both Davies and Rose mentioned after the game that they have made some changes to the way we play and it will take a bit of time.

Obviously, it wasn't apparent yesterday what they have changed because of the way the game played out.

Maybe it will become clearer in time.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 43
devs
November 6, 2023, 10:27am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,982
Gold Stars: 30
At least they subbed two players at half time..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 43
IlkleyMariner
November 6, 2023, 10:54am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 69
Based on what we saw yesterday, albeit on the bet365 video stream, think the line up should be

Cartwright

Effete…..Rogers…..Maher…..Amos

Clifton….Green…..Konteh…..Glennon

Rose…….Wilson
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 43
Jarmo.Is.God
November 6, 2023, 10:55am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Based on what we saw yesterday, albeit on the bet365 video stream, think the line up should be

Cartwright

Rose…….Wilson

Khan for Clifton.
Clifton has done nothing this season. If he wasn't a local lad, people would be screaming for him to be dropped ages ago
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 43
1mickylyons
November 6, 2023, 11:01am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,387
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Khan for Clifton.
Clifton has done nothing this season. If he wasn't a local lad, people would be screaming for him to be dropped ages ago

However when Clifton is not playing the lack of energy is even more obvious.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 43
Sandford1981
November 6, 2023, 11:04am
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from ginnywings

Both Davies and Rose mentioned after the game that they have made some changes to the way we play and it will take a bit of time.

Obviously, it wasn't apparent yesterday what they have changed because of the way the game played out.

How many fans see beyond the glaringly obvious? Football is far more nuanced and complicated at the professional level, than most casual fans realise or will give it credit for.
I’m not saying we’re all simpletons who cannot see such detail-far from it. With the amount of in depth analysis, stats (sorry Lew) and books on the subject of tactics it’s never been easier to get to grips with this sort of thing but I do think it’s a factor!
It’s worth considering too that as with anything new,  a different approach takes time to implement because players will revert to their dominant habits under pressure which was evident yesterday.
Whether Pearson and Davies should or will get the chance and time to cement their ideas is a different argument.
Personally I’d like to see a permanent appointment made as soon as possible.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 43
ska face
November 6, 2023, 2:41pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,664
Gold Stars: 847

Lack of width but don’t do anything with it anyway when we have wingers on.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 43
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
November 6, 2023, 2:43pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
Glennon at LW:

+ Glennon is our best crosser
+ you don’t need to be able to beat your man to put in a great cross

- if Glennon receives the ball in a deeper position, what’s he going to do with the ball
- Glennon would receive the ball with his back to goal more
- Sometimes playing a LB at LW ends up with the player receiving the ball in a deeper position, negating the benefit of playing them in a more offensive position.
- Usually, it’s the full-back who has more space, rather than the winger.
- It’s a bit mid-90s Martin O’Neill or early noughties England.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 43
AncientExiledMariner
November 6, 2023, 2:44pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.51
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

Cartwright

Rose…….Wilson

While I'd usually agree with you. After seeing 2 serious errors from Amos that could have been both goals: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/67327602

I'd go with:

Efete…..Rodgers…..Maher…..Glennon (or Mullarkey and switch Michee, and push up Glennon instead of Khan)

Clifton….Green…..Conteh…..Khan

Rose…….Wilson

He needs to reflect on that, and work on those errors. Andrews probably needs a private talking to about wall duties and hiding rather than trying to jump, and make it clear he won't be starting or coming on as a sub if that is seen again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 43
November 6, 2023, 2:45pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from ska face

That midfield is almost as narrow as Humbercod’s mind!!

Only joking Mr Cod xxx
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 43
ska face
November 6, 2023, 2:51pm

Vodka Drinker
It’s a reverse Thermopylae
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 43
November 6, 2023, 2:51pm
Brandy Drinker

While I'd usually agree with you. After seeing 2 serious errors from Amos that could have been both goals: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/67327602

I'd go with:

Effete…..Rogers…..Maher…..Glennon (or Mullarkey and switch Michee, and push up Glennon instead of Khan)

Clifton….Green…..Konteh…..Khan

Rose…….Wilson

He needs to reflect on that, and work on those errors. Andrews probably needs a private talking to about wall duties and hiding rather than trying to jump, and make it clear he won't be starting or coming on as a sub if that is seen again.

If we’re going with that personnel, I’d switch Khan and Clifton. Khan tracks like a sharp needle and Glennon needs all the help he can get.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 43
AncientExiledMariner
November 6, 2023, 3:15pm
Snakebite drinker

If we’re going with that personnel, I’d switch Khan and Clifton. Khan tracks like a sharp needle and Glennon needs all the help he can get.

Yeah, good point.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 43
The Yard Dog
November 6, 2023, 3:26pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,504
Gold Stars: 74
The problem with football these days, every team wants to play the Pep way, playing out the back, is all well and good if you have the players that can play that style, we don't.

How many times have lost possession in our own half trying to play out from the back and been punished. Possession football is excrement and boring, get the ball in oppenents half has quickly as possible, less time for them to get them shape.

It annoys me when a players starts to run at the defenders only to stop and pass backwards, its a lot harder to defend when you are having to run backwards, keep running give the defender a decision to make, draw fouls in the final third of the pitch.

Football has be made far too complicated, with all the stats available passes completed, lost in possession, fouls & tackles made, pitch coverage hot sopts, running distances etc.

If you spend less time in your own half, less chance of conceeding and spend more in their half the better chance of scoring. Two stats that I am interested in are goals for and against, the rest are pundits bullshit to keep them something to chat about.

I quote the Great Bill Shankey

“Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple.

So lets make it simple.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 43
Mariner_09
November 6, 2023, 4:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55

I'd go with:

Efete…..Rodgers…..Maher…..Glennon (or Mullarkey and switch Michee, and push up Glennon instead of Khan)

Clifton….Green…..Conteh…..Khan

Rose…….Wilson

He should have never played for us again after he literally gave up when he got done, which resulted in Colchester's winner. Which was arguably a big reason Hurst lost his job. He's lightweight and idle. Really unlike me to make my mind up about someone so quickly but I've seen enough with him.

I also think Rodgers, Amos, Harry, Conteh and Eisa all need taking out of the team for their own good, all are woefully low on confidence and, I think in Amos's case, just not up to it at L2.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 43
lew chaterleys lover
November 6, 2023, 4:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,732
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from The Yard Dog
The problem with football these days, every team wants to play the Pep way, playing out the back, is all well and good if you have the players that can play that style, we don't.

How many times have lost possession in our own half trying to play out from the back and been punished. Possession football is excrement and boring, get the ball in oppenents half has quickly as possible, less time for them to get them shape.

It annoys me when a players starts to run at the defenders only to stop and pass backwards, its a lot harder to defend when you are having to run backwards, keep running give the defender a decision to make, draw fouls in the final third of the pitch.

Football has be made far too complicated, with all the stats available passes completed, lost in possession, fouls & tackles made, pitch coverage hot sopts, running distances etc.

If you spend less time in your own half, less chance of conceeding and spend more in their half the better chance of scoring. Two stats that I am interested in are goals for and against, the rest are pundits bullshit to keep them something to chat about.

“Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple.

So lets make it simple.

UTM

Ahmen to that. The aim of the game is to score more than the opposition, and everything else is just fluff.  
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 43
1mickylyons
November 6, 2023, 4:24pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,387
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Sandford1981

How many fans see beyond the glaringly obvious? Football is far more nuanced and complicated at the professional level, than most casual fans realise or will give it credit for.
I’m not saying we’re all simpletons who cannot see such detail-far from it. With the amount of in depth analysis, stats (sorry Lew) and books on the subject of tactics it’s never been easier to get to grips with this sort of thing but I do think it’s a factor!
It’s worth considering too that as with anything new,  a different approach takes time to implement because players will revert to their dominant habits under pressure which was evident yesterday.
Whether Pearson and Davies should or will get the chance and time to cement their ideas is a different argument.
Personally I’d like to see a permanent appointment made as soon as possible.

I'll tell you what we can see from around my vantage point in the Upper.Players who can't pass can't cross and can't take set pieces including throw ins.I don't need a data analyst for that it's basics. Football is not a complicated game no matter how much the Sky generation try and brainwash the fans Buckley had it right get a system and get all the players to fit jnto a style of play.Nothing has changed Pep does the same
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 43
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 6, 2023, 4:24pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,280
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from ska face
It’s a reverse Thermopylae

Which brings us back to Mornington Crescent!

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 43
MuddyWaters
November 6, 2023, 4:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,264
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ska face

Like that a lot.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 43
forza ivano
November 6, 2023, 5:18pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,208
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from ginnywings

apparently they want a more possession based game with more attacking intent.
The first 10 or 15 they were trying to play out from the back (which drove the people around me insane!) and were pinging it around quite nicely. Then it all started to go wrong and we went to pieces. imho it was completely the wrong game to try and play tippy-tappy football. Slough said that they were quite happy with it, and it was only when we went long ball that they felt under pressure
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 43
Sandford1981
November 6, 2023, 5:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons

I'll tell you what we can see from around my vantage point in the Upper.Players who can't pass can't cross and can't take set pieces including throw ins.I don't need a data analyst for that it's basics. Football is not a complicated game no matter how much the Sky generation try and brainwash the fans Buckley had it right get a system and get all the players to fit jnto a style of play.Nothing has changed Pep does the same

I think you just proved my point!

Private Message
Reply: 22 - 43
chaos33
November 6, 2023, 5:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
We’ve probably got to start by becoming hard to beat and setting up our defensive structure with those who have looked most competent positionally. That’s where the first problem arises. I don’t really care if we are 4 or 5 at the back, but I can’t specify any that have shown good standards. So, we’ll have to persevere. At a push, I might go with Maher, Waterfall and Rodgers as a 3. Mullarkey, Amos, Efete and Glennon have all shown glaring defensive shortcomings, and have forgotten how to do basic things correctly. Take your pick. For me, Glennon is the weakest defensively. We really need better full backs asap.

Clifton, Conteh, Eisa - I’d drop all 3, and they couldn’t complain. Ditto Andrews, although his technique is good. Everything else about his game has looked below par. All of them need it spelling out to them - you want a future here - you get your act together immediately or sit and watch. Prob leaves Green, Holohan and Hunt playing the next game as a 3. Green’s defensive quality, physical strength and energy and commitment are particularly valuable now.

Rose picks himself, and Wilson needs to raise his game after Saturday but generally has looked worth the perseverance. Guess that means I’m advocating 5-3-2 next game.

Key point is - if we don’t find some team spirit, and learn to do the things kids and amateurs can master - concentrate, pass, cross, mark, commit and anticipate, we’re f*cked whoever plays.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 43
oochiad
November 6, 2023, 5:38pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,719
Gold Stars: 28

Absolutely this, I’m surprised more didn’t notice the fact that Cartwright set his wall up fine but the wall didn’t react at all. All Andrews had to do was jump and it wouldn’t have been a goal……..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 43
toontown
November 6, 2023, 7:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,280
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from ska face

Didn't someone put some stats (I know, I know) on here the other day that said something about us using the middle one of the least of teams in league 2?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 43
Yoda
November 6, 2023, 7:38pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,141
Gold Stars: 71
i think the two temporary managers have no chance now of the job after that performance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 43
AncientExiledMariner
November 6, 2023, 7:47pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from oochiad

Absolutely this, I’m surprised more didn’t notice the fact that Cartwright set his wall up fine but the wall didn’t react at all. All Andrews had to do was jump and it wouldn’t have been a goal……..

For me, Amos was closest. He seemed to move his head slightly to the left, and if he moved it slightly to the right, he might have connected. The jump looked half assed and more like he jumped because it was expected rather than to try and win the ball. I'm a fan of Amos, and really thought he had potential, but the game was shocking, and he really needs to analyse this and eradicate it from his game.

Andrews didn't necessarily cost us here, but it was pathetic, and on another day would have been a goal. You simply cannot do that as a professional footballer. Can a manager really take a player off set piece defensive duty because they don't have the bottle? You're effectively carrying them for their attacking skills, and you'd have to be pretty special to overcome that.

I don't usually like bashing players, and I really hope the coaching staff address these things, and regardless, fans get behind them. We have the players we have for now, and we need to get the best out of them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 43
Son of Cod
November 6, 2023, 9:53pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from ska face

Weird, I was thinking just yesterday morning that I'd quite like to see a Hunt tipped diamond midfield. I've never got why hes only ever been deployed as a standard CM or a deep lying midfielder.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 43
ska face
November 6, 2023, 10:28pm

Vodka Drinker
I don’t really know anything about tactics, and there’s a lot more to management than putting 11 names on a template and thinking “that should do a job”, but I reckon that would do a job.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 43
Maringer
November 6, 2023, 10:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,560
Gold Stars: 185
Would that job be a solid defensive performance, but with no width and little attacking intent? Teams which field 4 central midfielders don't tend to be the most creative.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 43
LocalLadGTFC
November 6, 2023, 11:33pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,229
Gold Stars: 137
Am I crazy to think that we’ve already done this at some point last season? I’m 99% sure that Glennon and Amos played quite a few games together
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 31 - 43
monkeyboy
November 7, 2023, 5:26am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Why isnt anyone advocating for Athur Ghnua to start on the right?   Clifton is no winger. surely Ghnua has done sod all wrong really and is overlooked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 43
bradzmilne
November 7, 2023, 7:50am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,429
Gold Stars: 30
Surely, we’re at a point in which we might as well try something like this?

It is probably different for Davies & Pearson personally but I’m viewing anything pre-new manager as a free hit.

Glennon’s set piece delivery is worth having him on the pitch for me

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 43
Maringer
November 7, 2023, 8:00am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,560
Gold Stars: 185
If Eisa isn't going to be trusted (or isn't fit), then why not just stick Clifton out on the left? He's a grafter, will track back to support the left-back defensively (which is very necessary given the players we have available), has a lot more pace than Glennon and has had a knack of popping up with important goals when playing on the left over the past year or two.

Seems a 'no-brainer' to me, given than he's hardly flourished in the centre in any case. If Green or Holohan are fit, they can certainly provide some vim and vigour in the centre.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 43
Ash brown
November 7, 2023, 8:21am
Coke Drinker
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC
Am I crazy to think that we’ve already done this at some point last season? I’m 99% sure that Glennon and Amos played quite a few games together

They have and it worked well imo, giving each the freedom to get forward but covering each other in defence. If we can get more quality balls into the box we have rose n wilson now who are both good finishers and rose can win it in the air too for wilson to play off. Loads of goals in this team if we set up differently, passing sideways slowly in our own half is doing side all apart from allowing the opposition time to re group and get behind the ball. We need to counter attack by moving the ball forward quicker and get players running at thier opposition and trying to beat them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 43
Ash brown
November 7, 2023, 8:37am
Coke Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
If Eisa isn't going to be trusted (or isn't fit), then why not just stick Clifton out on the left? He's a grafter, will track back to support the left-back defensively (which is very necessary given the players we have available), has a lot more pace than Glennon and has had a knack of popping up with important goals when playing on the left over the past year or two.

Seems a 'no-brainer' to me, given than he's hardly flourished in the centre in any case. If Green or Holohan are fit, they can certainly provide some vim and vigour in the centre.

Clifton would do a job there, problem is his final ball isn't threatening enough usually.  I think that was one of hurstys downfalls, playing players out of position and getting them to 'do a job'    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 43
Ash brown
November 7, 2023, 8:40am
Coke Drinker
Quoted from monkeyboy
Why isnt anyone advocating for Athur Ghnua to start on the right?   Clifton is no winger. surely Ghnua has done sod all wrong really and is overlooked.

I'd damn near forgot about arthur tbh, when he was playing earlier in the season we looked a better side with him in it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 43
Mappers
November 7, 2023, 8:43am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,341
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from chaos33
We’ve probably got to start by becoming hard to beat and setting up our defensive structure with those who have looked most competent positionally. That’s where the first problem arises. I don’t really care if we are 4 or 5 at the back, but I can’t specify any that have shown good standards. So, we’ll have to persevere. At a push, I might go with Maher, Waterfall and Rodgers as a 3. Mullarkey, Amos, Efete and Glennon have all shown glaring defensive shortcomings, and have forgotten how to do basic things correctly. Take your pick. For me, Glennon is the weakest defensively. We really need better full backs asap.

Clifton, Conteh, Eisa - I’d drop all 3, and they couldn’t complain. Ditto Andrews, although his technique is good. Everything else about his game has looked below par. All of them need it spelling out to them - you want a future here - you get your act together immediately or sit and watch. Prob leaves Green, Holohan and Hunt playing the next game as a 3. Green’s defensive quality, physical strength and energy and commitment are particularly valuable now.

Rose picks himself, and Wilson needs to raise his game after Saturday but generally has looked worth the perseverance. Guess that means I’m advocating 5-3-2 next game.

Key point is - if we don’t find some team spirit, and learn to do the things kids and amateurs can master - concentrate, pass, cross, mark, commit and anticipate, we’re f*cked whoever plays.

I think a good number do need a reality check , Saturday should have been a good wake up call - I suggest a good few will be playing at the likes of Slough on a weekly basis if they don't improve .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 43
DB
November 7, 2023, 9:47am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,027
Gold Stars: 388
Quoted from Mappers

I think a good number do need a reality check , Saturday should have been a good wake up call - I suggest a good few will be playing at the likes of Slough on a weekly basis if they don't improve .

They won't worry too much with a 3 year contract.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 43
Sandford1981
November 7, 2023, 10:27am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from DB

They won't worry too much with a 3 year contract.

Do you remember the good old days when it was fashionable to hammer the club for loans and one year deals?

Something to do with penny pinching and  it not allowing players to settle or have any security and therefore we had no continuity in playing staff from one season to the next. What times they were!

Private Message
Reply: 40 - 43
Mayaman
November 7, 2023, 10:59am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,416
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from The Yard Dog

So lets make it simple.

UTM

Spot on Yard Dog.  I know a lot of Town fans hate Mullin but he runs at defenders.  Of course, he usually goes down under the defenders challenge but we can't even play that game if we stop and play it back. What makes it worse, is the recipient of the back pass is a tight position or under pressure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 43
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 7, 2023, 11:56am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,280
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from Mayaman

Spot on Yard Dog.  I know a lot of Town fans hate Mullin but he runs at defenders.  Of course, he usually goes down under the defenders challenge but we can't even play that game if we stop and play it back. What makes it worse, is the recipient of the back pass is a tight position or under pressure.

When Mr J Lester was a resident of this parish that tactic was seen as legitimate and part of our game. I don't recall any Town fans on their high horse as Jack got another penalty or free kick.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 43
chaos33
November 7, 2023, 12:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from Sandford1981

Do you remember the good old days when it was fashionable to hammer the club for loans and one year deals?

Something to do with penny pinching and  it not allowing players to settle or have any security and therefore we had no continuity in playing staff from one season to the next. What times they were!

That’s a strong point.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 43
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Glennon on the wing

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.