Sandford1981
November 7, 2023, 10:27am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from DB

They won't worry too much with a 3 year contract.

Do you remember the good old days when it was fashionable to hammer the club for loans and one year deals?

Something to do with penny pinching and  it not allowing players to settle or have any security and therefore we had no continuity in playing staff from one season to the next. What times they were!

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 43
Mayaman
November 7, 2023, 10:59am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,416
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from The Yard Dog
The problem with football these days, every team wants to play the Pep way, playing out the back, is all well and good if you have the players that can play that style, we don't.

How many times have lost possession in our own half trying to play out from the back and been punished. Possession football is excrement and boring, get the ball in oppenents half has quickly as possible, less time for them to get them shape.

It annoys me when a players starts to run at the defenders only to stop and pass backwards, its a lot harder to defend when you are having to run backwards, keep running give the defender a decision to make, draw fouls in the final third of the pitch.

Football has be made far too complicated, with all the stats available passes completed, lost in possession, fouls & tackles made, pitch coverage hot sopts, running distances etc.

If you spend less time in your own half, less chance of conceeding and spend more in their half the better chance of scoring. Two stats that I am interested in are goals for and against, the rest are pundits bullshit to keep them something to chat about.

I quote the Great Bill Shankey

“Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple.

So lets make it simple.

UTM

Spot on Yard Dog.  I know a lot of Town fans hate Mullin but he runs at defenders.  Of course, he usually goes down under the defenders challenge but we can't even play that game if we stop and play it back. What makes it worse, is the recipient of the back pass is a tight position or under pressure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 43
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 7, 2023, 11:56am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,278
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from Mayaman

Spot on Yard Dog.  I know a lot of Town fans hate Mullin but he runs at defenders.  Of course, he usually goes down under the defenders challenge but we can't even play that game if we stop and play it back. What makes it worse, is the recipient of the back pass is a tight position or under pressure.

When Mr J Lester was a resident of this parish that tactic was seen as legitimate and part of our game. I don't recall any Town fans on their high horse as Jack got another penalty or free kick.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 43
chaos33
November 7, 2023, 12:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from Sandford1981

Do you remember the good old days when it was fashionable to hammer the club for loans and one year deals?

Something to do with penny pinching and  it not allowing players to settle or have any security and therefore we had no continuity in playing staff from one season to the next. What times they were!

That’s a strong point.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 43
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Glennon on the wing

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.