AncientExiledMariner
November 6, 2023, 2:44pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.51
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Based on what we saw yesterday, albeit on the bet365 video stream, think the line up should be

Cartwright

Effete…..Rogers…..Maher…..Amos

Clifton….Green…..Konteh…..Glennon

Rose…….Wilson

While I'd usually agree with you. After seeing 2 serious errors from Amos that could have been both goals: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/67327602

I'd go with:

Efete…..Rodgers…..Maher…..Glennon (or Mullarkey and switch Michee, and push up Glennon instead of Khan)

Clifton….Green…..Conteh…..Khan

Rose…….Wilson

He needs to reflect on that, and work on those errors. Andrews probably needs a private talking to about wall duties and hiding rather than trying to jump, and make it clear he won't be starting or coming on as a sub if that is seen again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 43
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
November 6, 2023, 2:45pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from ska face

Lack of width but don’t do anything with it anyway when we have wingers on.

That midfield is almost as narrow as Humbercod’s mind!!

Only joking Mr Cod xxx
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 43
ska face
November 6, 2023, 2:51pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
It’s a reverse Thermopylae
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 43
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
November 6, 2023, 2:51pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555

While I'd usually agree with you. After seeing 2 serious errors from Amos that could have been both goals: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/67327602

I'd go with:

Effete…..Rogers…..Maher…..Glennon (or Mullarkey and switch Michee, and push up Glennon instead of Khan)

Clifton….Green…..Konteh…..Khan

Rose…….Wilson

He needs to reflect on that, and work on those errors. Andrews probably needs a private talking to about wall duties and hiding rather than trying to jump, and make it clear he won't be starting or coming on as a sub if that is seen again.

If we’re going with that personnel, I’d switch Khan and Clifton. Khan tracks like a sharp needle and Glennon needs all the help he can get.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 43
AncientExiledMariner
November 6, 2023, 3:15pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.51
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59

If we’re going with that personnel, I’d switch Khan and Clifton. Khan tracks like a sharp needle and Glennon needs all the help he can get.

Yeah, good point.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 43
The Yard Dog
November 6, 2023, 3:26pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,504
Gold Stars: 74
The problem with football these days, every team wants to play the Pep way, playing out the back, is all well and good if you have the players that can play that style, we don't.

How many times have lost possession in our own half trying to play out from the back and been punished. Possession football is excrement and boring, get the ball in oppenents half has quickly as possible, less time for them to get them shape.

It annoys me when a players starts to run at the defenders only to stop and pass backwards, its a lot harder to defend when you are having to run backwards, keep running give the defender a decision to make, draw fouls in the final third of the pitch.

Football has be made far too complicated, with all the stats available passes completed, lost in possession, fouls & tackles made, pitch coverage hot sopts, running distances etc.

If you spend less time in your own half, less chance of conceeding and spend more in their half the better chance of scoring. Two stats that I am interested in are goals for and against, the rest are pundits bullshit to keep them something to chat about.

I quote the Great Bill Shankey

“Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple.

So lets make it simple.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 43
Mariner_09
November 6, 2023, 4:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55

I'd go with:

Efete…..Rodgers…..Maher…..Glennon (or Mullarkey and switch Michee, and push up Glennon instead of Khan)

Clifton….Green…..Conteh…..Khan

Rose…….Wilson

He should have never played for us again after he literally gave up when he got done, which resulted in Colchester's winner. Which was arguably a big reason Hurst lost his job. He's lightweight and idle. Really unlike me to make my mind up about someone so quickly but I've seen enough with him.

I also think Rodgers, Amos, Harry, Conteh and Eisa all need taking out of the team for their own good, all are woefully low on confidence and, I think in Amos's case, just not up to it at L2.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 43
lew chaterleys lover
November 6, 2023, 4:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,724
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from The Yard Dog
The problem with football these days, every team wants to play the Pep way, playing out the back, is all well and good if you have the players that can play that style, we don't.

How many times have lost possession in our own half trying to play out from the back and been punished. Possession football is excrement and boring, get the ball in oppenents half has quickly as possible, less time for them to get them shape.

It annoys me when a players starts to run at the defenders only to stop and pass backwards, its a lot harder to defend when you are having to run backwards, keep running give the defender a decision to make, draw fouls in the final third of the pitch.

Football has be made far too complicated, with all the stats available passes completed, lost in possession, fouls & tackles made, pitch coverage hot sopts, running distances etc.

If you spend less time in your own half, less chance of conceeding and spend more in their half the better chance of scoring. Two stats that I am interested in are goals for and against, the rest are pundits bullshit to keep them something to chat about.

I quote the Great Bill Shankey

“Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple.

So lets make it simple.

UTM

Ahmen to that. The aim of the game is to score more than the opposition, and everything else is just fluff.  
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 43
1mickylyons
November 6, 2023, 4:24pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Sandford1981

How many fans see beyond the glaringly obvious? Football is far more nuanced and complicated at the professional level, than most casual fans realise or will give it credit for.
I’m not saying we’re all simpletons who cannot see such detail-far from it. With the amount of in depth analysis, stats (sorry Lew) and books on the subject of tactics it’s never been easier to get to grips with this sort of thing but I do think it’s a factor!
It’s worth considering too that as with anything new,  a different approach takes time to implement because players will revert to their dominant habits under pressure which was evident yesterday.
Whether Pearson and Davies should or will get the chance and time to cement their ideas is a different argument.
Personally I’d like to see a permanent appointment made as soon as possible.

I'll tell you what we can see from around my vantage point in the Upper.Players who can't pass can't cross and can't take set pieces including throw ins.I don't need a data analyst for that it's basics. Football is not a complicated game no matter how much the Sky generation try and brainwash the fans Buckley had it right get a system and get all the players to fit jnto a style of play.Nothing has changed Pep does the same
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 43
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 6, 2023, 4:24pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,279
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from ska face
It’s a reverse Thermopylae

Which brings us back to Mornington Crescent!

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 43
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Glennon on the wing

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.