5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
November 6, 2023, 10:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,560
Gold Stars: 185
Would that job be a solid defensive performance, but with no width and little attacking intent? Teams which field 4 central midfielders don't tend to be the most creative.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 43
LocalLadGTFC
November 6, 2023, 11:33pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,229
Gold Stars: 137
Am I crazy to think that we’ve already done this at some point last season? I’m 99% sure that Glennon and Amos played quite a few games together
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 31 - 43
monkeyboy
November 7, 2023, 5:26am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Why isnt anyone advocating for Athur Ghnua to start on the right?   Clifton is no winger. surely Ghnua has done sod all wrong really and is overlooked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 43
bradzmilne
November 7, 2023, 7:50am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,429
Gold Stars: 30
Surely, we’re at a point in which we might as well try something like this?

It is probably different for Davies & Pearson personally but I’m viewing anything pre-new manager as a free hit.

Glennon’s set piece delivery is worth having him on the pitch for me

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 43
Maringer
November 7, 2023, 8:00am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,560
Gold Stars: 185
If Eisa isn't going to be trusted (or isn't fit), then why not just stick Clifton out on the left? He's a grafter, will track back to support the left-back defensively (which is very necessary given the players we have available), has a lot more pace than Glennon and has had a knack of popping up with important goals when playing on the left over the past year or two.

Seems a 'no-brainer' to me, given than he's hardly flourished in the centre in any case. If Green or Holohan are fit, they can certainly provide some vim and vigour in the centre.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 43
Ash brown
November 7, 2023, 8:21am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +22
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC
Am I crazy to think that we’ve already done this at some point last season? I’m 99% sure that Glennon and Amos played quite a few games together

They have and it worked well imo, giving each the freedom to get forward but covering each other in defence. If we can get more quality balls into the box we have rose n wilson now who are both good finishers and rose can win it in the air too for wilson to play off. Loads of goals in this team if we set up differently, passing sideways slowly in our own half is doing side all apart from allowing the opposition time to re group and get behind the ball. We need to counter attack by moving the ball forward quicker and get players running at thier opposition and trying to beat them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 43
Ash brown
November 7, 2023, 8:37am
Coke Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
If Eisa isn't going to be trusted (or isn't fit), then why not just stick Clifton out on the left? He's a grafter, will track back to support the left-back defensively (which is very necessary given the players we have available), has a lot more pace than Glennon and has had a knack of popping up with important goals when playing on the left over the past year or two.

Seems a 'no-brainer' to me, given than he's hardly flourished in the centre in any case. If Green or Holohan are fit, they can certainly provide some vim and vigour in the centre.

Clifton would do a job there, problem is his final ball isn't threatening enough usually.  I think that was one of hurstys downfalls, playing players out of position and getting them to 'do a job'    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 43
Ash brown
November 7, 2023, 8:40am
Coke Drinker
Quoted from monkeyboy
Why isnt anyone advocating for Athur Ghnua to start on the right?   Clifton is no winger. surely Ghnua has done sod all wrong really and is overlooked.

I'd damn near forgot about arthur tbh, when he was playing earlier in the season we looked a better side with him in it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 43
Mappers
November 7, 2023, 8:43am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,341
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from chaos33
We’ve probably got to start by becoming hard to beat and setting up our defensive structure with those who have looked most competent positionally. That’s where the first problem arises. I don’t really care if we are 4 or 5 at the back, but I can’t specify any that have shown good standards. So, we’ll have to persevere. At a push, I might go with Maher, Waterfall and Rodgers as a 3. Mullarkey, Amos, Efete and Glennon have all shown glaring defensive shortcomings, and have forgotten how to do basic things correctly. Take your pick. For me, Glennon is the weakest defensively. We really need better full backs asap.

Clifton, Conteh, Eisa - I’d drop all 3, and they couldn’t complain. Ditto Andrews, although his technique is good. Everything else about his game has looked below par. All of them need it spelling out to them - you want a future here - you get your act together immediately or sit and watch. Prob leaves Green, Holohan and Hunt playing the next game as a 3. Green’s defensive quality, physical strength and energy and commitment are particularly valuable now.

Rose picks himself, and Wilson needs to raise his game after Saturday but generally has looked worth the perseverance. Guess that means I’m advocating 5-3-2 next game.

Key point is - if we don’t find some team spirit, and learn to do the things kids and amateurs can master - concentrate, pass, cross, mark, commit and anticipate, we’re f*cked whoever plays.

I think a good number do need a reality check , Saturday should have been a good wake up call - I suggest a good few will be playing at the likes of Slough on a weekly basis if they don't improve .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 43
DB
November 7, 2023, 9:47am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,027
Gold Stars: 388
Quoted from Mappers

I think a good number do need a reality check , Saturday should have been a good wake up call - I suggest a good few will be playing at the likes of Slough on a weekly basis if they don't improve .

They won't worry too much with a 3 year contract.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 43
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Glennon on the wing

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.