MuddyWaters
November 6, 2023, 4:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ska face

Lack of width but don’t do anything with it anyway when we have wingers on.

Like that a lot.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 43
forza ivano
November 6, 2023, 5:18pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,204
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from ginnywings

Both Davies and Rose mentioned after the game that they have made some changes to the way we play and it will take a bit of time.

Obviously, it wasn't apparent yesterday what they have changed because of the way the game played out.

Maybe it will become clearer in time.

apparently they want a more possession based game with more attacking intent.
The first 10 or 15 they were trying to play out from the back (which drove the people around me insane!) and were pinging it around quite nicely. Then it all started to go wrong and we went to pieces. imho it was completely the wrong game to try and play tippy-tappy football. Slough said that they were quite happy with it, and it was only when we went long ball that they felt under pressure
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 43
Sandford1981
November 6, 2023, 5:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from 1mickylyons

I'll tell you what we can see from around my vantage point in the Upper.Players who can't pass can't cross and can't take set pieces including throw ins.I don't need a data analyst for that it's basics. Football is not a complicated game no matter how much the Sky generation try and brainwash the fans Buckley had it right get a system and get all the players to fit jnto a style of play.Nothing has changed Pep does the same

I think you just proved my point!

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 43
chaos33
November 6, 2023, 5:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
We’ve probably got to start by becoming hard to beat and setting up our defensive structure with those who have looked most competent positionally. That’s where the first problem arises. I don’t really care if we are 4 or 5 at the back, but I can’t specify any that have shown good standards. So, we’ll have to persevere. At a push, I might go with Maher, Waterfall and Rodgers as a 3. Mullarkey, Amos, Efete and Glennon have all shown glaring defensive shortcomings, and have forgotten how to do basic things correctly. Take your pick. For me, Glennon is the weakest defensively. We really need better full backs asap.

Clifton, Conteh, Eisa - I’d drop all 3, and they couldn’t complain. Ditto Andrews, although his technique is good. Everything else about his game has looked below par. All of them need it spelling out to them - you want a future here - you get your act together immediately or sit and watch. Prob leaves Green, Holohan and Hunt playing the next game as a 3. Green’s defensive quality, physical strength and energy and commitment are particularly valuable now.

Rose picks himself, and Wilson needs to raise his game after Saturday but generally has looked worth the perseverance. Guess that means I’m advocating 5-3-2 next game.

Key point is - if we don’t find some team spirit, and learn to do the things kids and amateurs can master - concentrate, pass, cross, mark, commit and anticipate, we’re f*cked whoever plays.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 43
oochiad
November 6, 2023, 5:38pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,719
Gold Stars: 28

He needs to reflect on that, and work on those errors. Andrews probably needs a private talking to about wall duties and hiding rather than trying to jump, and make it clear he won't be starting or coming on as a sub if that is seen again.

Absolutely this, I’m surprised more didn’t notice the fact that Cartwright set his wall up fine but the wall didn’t react at all. All Andrews had to do was jump and it wouldn’t have been a goal……..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 43
toontown
November 6, 2023, 7:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from ska face

Didn't someone put some stats (I know, I know) on here the other day that said something about us using the middle one of the least of teams in league 2?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 43
Yoda
November 6, 2023, 7:38pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,157
Gold Stars: 71
i think the two temporary managers have no chance now of the job after that performance.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 43
AncientExiledMariner
November 6, 2023, 7:47pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.51
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from oochiad

He needs to reflect on that, and work on those errors. Andrews probably needs a private talking to about wall duties and hiding rather than trying to jump, and make it clear he won't be starting or coming on as a sub if that is seen again.

Absolutely this, I’m surprised more didn’t notice the fact that Cartwright set his wall up fine but the wall didn’t react at all. All Andrews had to do was jump and it wouldn’t have been a goal……..

For me, Amos was closest. He seemed to move his head slightly to the left, and if he moved it slightly to the right, he might have connected. The jump looked half assed and more like he jumped because it was expected rather than to try and win the ball. I'm a fan of Amos, and really thought he had potential, but the game was shocking, and he really needs to analyse this and eradicate it from his game.

Andrews didn't necessarily cost us here, but it was pathetic, and on another day would have been a goal. You simply cannot do that as a professional footballer. Can a manager really take a player off set piece defensive duty because they don't have the bottle? You're effectively carrying them for their attacking skills, and you'd have to be pretty special to overcome that.

I don't usually like bashing players, and I really hope the coaching staff address these things, and regardless, fans get behind them. We have the players we have for now, and we need to get the best out of them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 43
Son of Cod
November 6, 2023, 9:53pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from ska face

Weird, I was thinking just yesterday morning that I'd quite like to see a Hunt tipped diamond midfield. I've never got why hes only ever been deployed as a standard CM or a deep lying midfielder.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 43
ska face
November 6, 2023, 10:28pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
I don’t really know anything about tactics, and there’s a lot more to management than putting 11 names on a template and thinking “that should do a job”, but I reckon that would do a job.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 43
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Glennon on the wing

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.