LocalLadGTFC
October 30, 2023, 8:07pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,228
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from ska face

Jolley got caught moaning about the budget on the secret recording. Hurst left previously because he was denied basic back room staff - don’t think we even had a fitness coach during his last spell. There are countless stories from ex-players, everyone from John McDermott to Rob Jones & Martin Gritton has mentioned how the previous owners needled them & chipped away either just to save a few measly quid or took advantage of individuals’ circumstances. The stories of Fenty’s penny pinching are well documented by Cod Almighty - everything from him trying to reuse ice from a local cold store in the players’ ice baths to driving around Cheapside in a digger to save a few quid.  

This will be the first appointment not made by Fenty in going on two decades. Thank Christ.

We lost our top goalscorer from the NL because we wouldn't offer him 50 extra quid...  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 70 - 83
HerveJosse
October 30, 2023, 8:11pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Mate of mine Is an Ipswich fan and the rumours over there are that we’ve had a conversation club to club about the availability of Brian klug

As I say, just rumours. No knowledgeable source or anything just am guessing, the fishy equivalent in east anglia

Or mor likely about Mark Kennedy who was Klugs assistant.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 83
mariner91
October 30, 2023, 8:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,663
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from GibMariner

Evidence for that. Although that fits the narrative again.

Has any manager ever complained about the budget.

Has any manager been denied brining players in the Jan window.

Just saying.

It was literally the reason Hurst left for Shrewsbury the first time.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 83
Northbank Mariner
October 30, 2023, 8:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,489
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from GibMariner

Just saying.

You been living under a rock?..
Jolley worked for 6 months for free, he then got caught absolutely slating the state of his playing budget, in a foul moth rant.
We lost Amond due Fenty changing the terms of his contract, one player turned round his csr on the way to sign after Fenty called him and reneged on a deal.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 83
Northbank Mariner
October 30, 2023, 8:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,489
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

We lost our top goalscorer from the NL because we wouldn't offer him 50 extra quid...  

Lost Arnold for same reason, only it was £15 a week he wanted, to cover his extra fuel costs,
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 83
forza ivano
October 31, 2023, 9:44am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,208
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from pen penfras

Is he? Consulting roles at Wales, New Zealand and now UAE hardly shout foremost expert in world football, but he wouldn't be here if he was.

He's been academy director at some good clubs, but not sure what that role really does.

If he's not getting paid for being here, then it's a steal. But if we're paying for consultancy then I highly doubt it's cheap or value for money.

I get that we're trying to be forward thinking and different to other teams at this level, but I feel like this is going to be a very expensive experiment that could go very wrong if it doesn't reap rewards quickly.

Oh dear Pen.if you're going to quote me, then at least have the decency to quote me properly. You somehow missed out the words ' world authority ON THAT ROLE'. And I think, having been for over 2 years, FIFAs head of technical leadership , that it's not an unjustifiable claim. I suspect it would be difficult to find anyone with more all round knowledge of what the role entails, how it works well, why it doesnt work  plus how a structure is established and what sort of people make good technical directors
As someone else said hes a part time unpaid director, so hes hardly a drag on resources. Perhaps you think wed be better off without him, n maybe 1878 should consult JSF ,with his extensive knowledge  and success in appointing managers?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 83
arryarryarry
October 31, 2023, 1:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,038
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from GibMariner
Get the luck then any system, managment combination can work.

Don’t get the luck (rub) then all is rubbished, players and managment alike.

Big test for the N/O’s. I do not envy them as they have set themselves up to potentially fail with all the blurb. Profesional investors/values/data etc.

Nothing to reinvent in this lottery of club ownership.

All fine lines at the end of the day.

We are a keeper off have being in the mix in all fairness!! IMHO

Hurst needed the window to put it right, and I suspect true to form, if given time, then he would have got it right.

So are you saying he spent one of our biggest player budgets on players that aren't good enough so he would have had the January window to spend more cash on replacing the players he brought in in the summer?

Plus I think we need more than just another goalkeeper.
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 83
diehardmariner
October 31, 2023, 1:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,632
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Disappointed that nobody from the club was willing to go on Radio Humberside and explain the reasoning behind this new change in direction.

Fans are quite rightly concerned because we get relegated to non-league for the third time in our history if this goes wrong.

I know what you're saying but I'm kinda glad they didn't rock up to give their say.

It'll be an unpopular opinion but I'm a little tired of hearing Stockwood give his thoughts on every little matter at the club, Debbie Cook too to a lesser degree.  Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the transparency and I think he's an incredibly articulate and generally just a decent bloke within that a good listen for the majority of it.  But there's often not a lot extra he can say and it feels like as a fanbase we're just desperate to hear from him in the hope he drops something in that we're not aware of.

I think the interviews with him are less now and I imagine that's intentional.  The poor bloke must be tired of coming out with the same lines to the same questions every few months.

I get that this is a big issue and in some ways a monumental moment for the club.  But I prefer them keeping everything quiet, trusting what they're doing and then having a say on it once it's done and dusted.  I've downloaded the show and will listen to it later, but I imagine most of it will just be noise like we've got on here. Opinions, hopes and fears etc.  Not sure what else Stockwood (or anyone else from the club) could add to what they've already said.

With regards the decision and worry that if we get it wrong we could be relegated, well that's the risk regardless.  What I would say is that in the last decade and a bit we've become a boom and bust side, yo-yo-ing between tiers 4 and 5.  Perhaps stability that comes from a different approach might go some way to addressing that.
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 83
Madeleymariner
October 31, 2023, 2:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,059
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from GibMariner

Just saying.

Scott, we aint got no f money
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 83
Bigdog
October 31, 2023, 2:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from arryarryarry

So are you saying he spent one of our biggest player budgets on players that aren't good enough so he would have had the January window to spend more cash on replacing the players he brought in in the summer?

Plus I think we need more than just another goalkeeper.

Having a fresh set of eyes on the squad, and the new manager bringing in his own favoured signings could work in our favour..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 83
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › A ‘Head Coach’

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.