forza ivano
October 30, 2023, 12:43pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,204
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from diehardmariner
I think we will know BAWB and we'll certainly feel it in the coming weeks and months.

Put it this way, I see it that 1878 have seen something they like but have absolutely no clue how to go about it, nor should they have any idea.  Jennings and/or his colleagues will have floated an approach, a philosophy, a culture that he/they have been involved with before and implemented successfully elsewhere.  1878 have gobbled that line up and invited Twenty First Group in to install that approach here.

Jennings was probably so good at doing that Sporting Director type role that he's gone above it now, he's more the King Maker than the King itself.  With his experience, he can now help others put that model into place.  He doesn't need day-to-day handle on it because he can cherry pick the bits that he needs to be involved with, groom others to do the stuff that don't challenge him and therefore spread himself across more than one business.

It's consultancy 101.  We can mask it up however we like it, but we've got consultants in to shape the future direction of the club.

Exactly my thoughts.gold star!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 83
GibMariner
October 30, 2023, 1:52pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -953
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from diehardmariner
I think we will know BAWB and we'll certainly feel it in the coming weeks and months.

Put it this way, I see it that 1878 have seen something they like but have absolutely no clue how to go about it, nor should they have any idea.  Jennings and/or his colleagues will have floated an approach, a philosophy, a culture that he/they have been involved with before and implemented successfully elsewhere.  1878 have gobbled that line up and invited Twenty First Group in to install that approach here.

Jennings was probably so good at doing that Sporting Director type role that he's gone above it now, he's more the King Maker than the King itself.  With his experience, he can now help others put that model into place.  He doesn't need day-to-day handle on it because he can cherry pick the bits that he needs to be involved with, groom others to do the stuff that don't challenge him and therefore spread himself across more than one business.

It's consultancy 101.  We can mask it up however we like it, but we've got consultants in to shape the future direction of the club.

Consultants ask you the time and then tell you what the time is, the abundantly obvious. If that the way to be, then 1878 will need to reach deep in their pockets.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 83
BobbyCummingsTackle
October 30, 2023, 2:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,279
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from GibMariner

Consultants ask you the time and then tell you what the time is, the abundantly obvious. If that the way to be, then 1878 will need to reach deep in their pockets.

I don't disagree with your view of consultants but it has to be a good thing that the future of the club is being shaped and that a strategy is being considered by thoughtful people thinking beyond the immediate short term.

Previous managerial appointments were based on who was cheapest and would work in an environment of penny pinching mediocrity.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 83
diehardmariner
October 30, 2023, 2:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
I've seen consultancy done well and I've seen it done badly.  I don't think 1878 will suffer fools from fancy presentations and slick suits.

I think the time analogy isn't the worst one, more often than not the answer is already in-house but the existing structure doesn't know how to get it out/what to do with it.  A common criticism of consultants is that they don't tell you anything you don't already know, so why did you ask them in the first place then?  That you've come to the same answer as them but haven't done anything with it probably indicates that the problem is closer to home than you think.  

If we, as a club, or any business for that matter bring in consultants with a wide and ambiguous remit I pretty much guarantee that we'll get a wide and ambiguous finding that tells us obvious stuff but with no real direction on how to address it.  

However, I expect the remit to Twenty First Group is quite specific with a desired and measurable output and we'll therefore be bringing people in to help us do something different to make that improvement.  Good consultants are expensive, but if used right they're a good investment. Really good consultants help you identify problems and come up with your own solutions, so you don't have to use them again.
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 83
Saudimariner
October 30, 2023, 2:32pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +304
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from GibMariner

The quote should be "A consultant will ask to borrow your watch, tell you what the time is, then charge you an extortionate fee for the information". I know - I was that soldier!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 83
pen penfras
October 30, 2023, 7:16pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from forza ivano

No, hes moved way on from that! But he is probably one of the foremost experts in world football on that role, which, some other bits n pieces, lead me to think we ate going down that road

Is he? Consulting roles at Wales, New Zealand and now UAE hardly shout foremost expert in world football, but he wouldn't be here if he was.

He's been academy director at some good clubs, but not sure what that role really does.

If he's not getting paid for being here, then it's a steal. But if we're paying for consultancy then I highly doubt it's cheap or value for money.

I get that we're trying to be forward thinking and different to other teams at this level, but I feel like this is going to be a very expensive experiment that could go very wrong if it doesn't reap rewards quickly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 83
jamesgtfc
October 30, 2023, 7:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,967
Gold Stars: 190
Disappointed that nobody from the club was willing to go on Radio Humberside and explain the reasoning behind this new change in direction.

Fans are quite rightly concerned because we get relegated to non-league for the third time in our history if this goes wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 83
heppy88
October 30, 2023, 7:35pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from pen penfras

If he's not getting paid for being here, then it's a steal. But if we're paying for consultancy then I highly doubt it's cheap or value for money.

I get that we're trying to be forward thinking and different to other teams at this level, but I feel like this is going to be a very expensive experiment that could go very wrong if it doesn't reap rewards quickly.

He is doing the role on a voluntary basis. He spoke extensively about his history and role at the club during an interview with Radio Humberside. If I remember rightly he had got to a point in his career where he wanted to give something back and work with, what he believed, to be an up and coming club and with owners who shared his philosophy and values. He stated that he is doing the role out of a want to do the right thing, for the right reasons.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 83
GibMariner
October 30, 2023, 7:42pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -953
Gold Stars: 21

I don't disagree with your view of consultants but it has to be a good thing that the future of the club is being shaped and that a strategy is being considered by thoughtful people thinking beyond the immediate short term.

Previous managerial appointments were based on who was cheapest and would work in an environment of penny pinching mediocrity.

Evidence for that. Although that fits the narrative again.

Has any manager ever complained about the budget.

Has any manager been denied brining players in the Jan window.

Just saying.

Private Message
Reply: 68 - 83
ska face
October 30, 2023, 7:57pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from GibMariner

Evidence for that. Although that fits the narrative again.

Has any manager ever complained about the budget.

Has any manager been denied brining players in the Jan window.

Just saying.

Jolley got caught moaning about the budget on the secret recording. Hurst left previously because he was denied basic back room staff - don’t think we even had a fitness coach during his last spell. There are countless stories from ex-players, everyone from John McDermott to Rob Jones & Martin Gritton has mentioned how the previous owners needled them & chipped away either just to save a few measly quid or took advantage of individuals’ circumstances. The stories of Fenty’s penny pinching are well documented by Cod Almighty - everything from him trying to reuse ice from a local cold store in the players’ ice baths to driving around Cheapside in a digger to save a few quid.  

This will be the first appointment not made by Fenty in going on two decades. Thank Christ.
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 83
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › A ‘Head Coach’

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.