9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
mimma
October 30, 2023, 9:51am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
Instead of calling it incremental improvement I would call it ambition. Fenty had a distinct lack of it, whereas now we have it. The only going holding us back is finance
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 83
IlkleyMariner
October 30, 2023, 10:17am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
There has been no mention of Debbie Cook in this thread.

Does she think PH was too stretched in his wide role? Did some of his signings not fit a longer term plan? Did she see a consistent and well defined playing style? Did PH allow lack of performance go unchecked and his only approach was work harder…….

Comparing it to Englands abysmal cricket performance of late. Their only response seems to be to bash the ball harder, not better?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 83
October 30, 2023, 10:45am
Guest User
I could be very wrong here, so correct me if I am.  Do we not have someone who sits on the board as an advisor who was/is one of the best Director of Football in the World.  I don't remember his name now, but I believe he may have had some connections with Saudi FA and Chelsea.
Reply: 52 - 83
ska face
October 30, 2023, 10:49am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from 123614
I could be very wrong here, so correct me if I am.  Do we not have someone who sits on the board as an advisor who was/is one of the best Director of Football in the World.  I don't remember his name now, but I believe he may have had some connections with Saudi FA and Chelsea.

Gareth Jennings who, since joining the board, has helpfully updated his Wikipedia page:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gareth_Jennings
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 83
October 30, 2023, 10:58am
Guest User
So do we not have one half of the DoF/Head Coach already sitting at a table at Blundell Park?
Reply: 54 - 83
GibMariner
October 30, 2023, 11:00am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -953
Gold Stars: 21
Get the luck then any system, managment combination can work.

Don’t get the luck (rub) then all is rubbished, players and managment alike.

Big test for the N/O’s. I do not envy them as they have set themselves up to potentially fail with all the blurb. Profesional investors/values/data etc.

Nothing to reinvent in this lottery of club ownership.

All fine lines at the end of the day.

We are a keeper off have being in the mix in all fairness!! IMHO

Hurst needed the window to put it right, and I suspect true to form, if given time, then he would have got it right.
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 83
forza ivano
October 30, 2023, 11:01am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,179
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from 123614
So do we not have one half of the DoF/Head Coach already sitting at the table at Blundell Park?

No, hes moved way on from that! But he is probably one of the foremost experts in world football on that role, which, some other bits n pieces, lead me to think we ate going down that road
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 83
October 30, 2023, 11:07am
Guest User
Quoted from forza ivano

No, he's moved way on from that! But he is probably one of the foremost experts in world football on that role, which, some other bits n pieces, lead me to think we ate going down that road

So he would be available to give advice maybe, something that I believe he sits on the Board for, but this time advice on a DoF and a Head Coach as opposed to players?  I can't imagine him being part of the club and not having his massive knowledge tapped in the coming weeks.  Maybe he has already been asked of his opinions, I guess we will never know.

Reply: 57 - 83
diehardmariner
October 30, 2023, 11:27am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
I think we will know BAWB and we'll certainly feel it in the coming weeks and months.

Put it this way, I see it that 1878 have seen something they like but have absolutely no clue how to go about it, nor should they have any idea.  Jennings and/or his colleagues will have floated an approach, a philosophy, a culture that he/they have been involved with before and implemented successfully elsewhere.  1878 have gobbled that line up and invited Twenty First Group in to install that approach here.

Jennings was probably so good at doing that Sporting Director type role that he's gone above it now, he's more the King Maker than the King itself.  With his experience, he can now help others put that model into place.  He doesn't need day-to-day handle on it because he can cherry pick the bits that he needs to be involved with, groom others to do the stuff that don't challenge him and therefore spread himself across more than one business.

It's consultancy 101.  We can mask it up however we like it, but we've got consultants in to shape the future direction of the club.
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 83
grimsby pete
October 30, 2023, 11:42am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
There has been no mention of Debbie Cook in this thread.

Does she think PH was too stretched in his wide role? Did some of his signings not fit a longer term plan? Did she see a consistent and well defined playing style? Did PH allow lack of performance go unchecked and his only approach was work harder…….

Comparing it to Englands abysmal cricket performance of late. Their only response seems to be to bash the ball harder, not better?

I would think if Debbie had anything to say about Hurst she would have voiced her opinions to the board and only to the board.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 83
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › A ‘Head Coach’

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.