Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › The players.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

The players.

This thread currently has 6,329 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Phil the cod
October 26, 2023, 12:06pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -332
Gold Stars: 61
Having read the threads calling for the managers head (I'd get rid too btw) I can't believe the so called players aren't getting more stick for the run of bad results, if they are sulking or not playing for the manager, then why don't they do the fans a favour and tell us so , then we can make the call of wether to bother traveling to games and all the expenses that come with it.
Always amazes me how players escape the shite. It's like they are made of Teflon.
Private Message
GYinScuntland
October 26, 2023, 12:19pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Any player not giving 100% through choice should simply be shown the door.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 54
HerveJosse
October 26, 2023, 12:23pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
No evidence they are not trying for me. More a case of a combination of not good enough , lack of confidence and and in some cases the manager playing them in the wrong roles.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 54
toontown
October 26, 2023, 12:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
It seems a complete lack of belief has taken hold of them, a lack of belief in themselves but also a lack of belief in the tactics/manager. That's my impression anyway.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 54
ska face
October 26, 2023, 12:27pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from Phil the cod
Having read the threads calling for the managers head (I'd get rid too btw) I can't believe the so called players aren't getting more stick for the run of bad results, if they are sulking or not playing for the manager, then why don't they do the fans a favour and tell us so , then we can make the call of wether to bother traveling to games and all the expenses that come with it.
Always amazes me how players escape the shite. It's like they are made of Teflon.

Not enough space on the internet to batter each player individually to the same extent as the management.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 54
Tommy
October 26, 2023, 12:33pm
Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
I don't think the issue is the players not being arsed or not trying hard enough though. If that was the case, they'd be taking more flak.

I'd guess the players might be a bit bemused at the way they're being asked to play, having started the season with the intention of dominating possession in games and patiently building attacks. To now being set up in defensive systems seemingly with an emphasis on keeping our shape, trying to be solid/hard-to-beat, with no obvious or noticeable plan on how to play in possession.

That could either instil a lack of confidence in the players, who might think PH doesn't trust them or believe they can play the style we started with, or it could result in the players not believing in the manager with him abandoning what was the plan for the season and the basis of why all the new players were signed. I think PH would've had a bit more support had he stuck with the original plan and strategy from the start of the season, committed to it and just tweaked it or worked on how to improve parts of our play (creating more chances, how to get more bodies in the final third etc).

If anything it's almost shown that PH struggles to coach a team to play in a style other than the favoured solid/us-shape type of grafting with team-spirit getting us through.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 54
MuddyWaters
October 26, 2023, 1:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,244
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Phil the cod

Who signed the players, coaches the players, dictates the tactics, chooses the formation (regularly) and picks the team?
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 54
sam gy
October 26, 2023, 1:03pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
I don't think they're not trying. I think it's more likely, as a group they're not good enough unfortunately

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 54
mariner91
October 26, 2023, 1:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,651
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from Tommy

If anything it's almost shown that PH struggles to coach a team to play in a style other than the favoured solid/us-shape type of grafting with team-spirit getting us through.

I think this is the crucial part. He's never managed to get a team to be free-flowing and attacking. He's had spells where his teams have scored a lot of goals but at the first sign of trouble he reverts back to keeping us shape. It will massively limit his career.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 54
golfer
October 26, 2023, 1:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,434
Gold Stars: 116
If we could get rid of all the players on the books in one go without having to pay compensation how many would we be prepared to  offer new 2 year contracts to ?    -- Clifton Cohen Hallohan ?  there's not many is there ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 54
Mappers
October 26, 2023, 2:18pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,318
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from GYinScuntland

There wasn't anyone downing tools on Tuesday I didn't think and they are giving their all - it's more their in game intelligence both tactically & individually that seems to be costing us imo ; and obviously confidence is rock bottom .

I genuinely think Kieran Green is our  most important player now - need him fit from the start ; yes I know he's limited but he's the first name on the teamsheet if in a dogfight for me and does some of the basics well (he would not empty out the middle of the park for example ) .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 54
arryarryarry
October 26, 2023, 2:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Phil the cod

I think the players do come in for some stick individually.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 54
DB
October 26, 2023, 3:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,002
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from Phil the cod

I seem to recall Eastwood, Cartwright, Efete, Glennon, Rodgers, Amos, Mullarkey, Holohan, Hunt and Pyke all coming in for some stick during this season so far. Waterfall also had his critics.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 54
Mariner_09
October 26, 2023, 3:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from DB

I seem to recall Eastwood, Cartwright, Efete, Glennon, Rodgers, Amos, Mullarkey, Holohan, Hunt and Pyke all coming in for some stick during this season so far. Waterfall also had his critics.

Not to mention Harry Clifton, who's standards have dropped by an alarming amount. Has Gav really got stick? He's been one of our best players.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 54
GrimPol
October 26, 2023, 3:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -670
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Who signed the players, coaches the players, dictates the tactics, chooses the formation (regularly) and picks the team?

According to In Hurst We Trust, it's some unknown person or Tea Lady.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 54
MuddyWaters
October 26, 2023, 5:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,244
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from golfer
If we could get rid of all the players on the books in one go without having to pay compensation how many would we be prepared to  offer new 2 year contracts to ?    -- Clifton Cohen Hallohan ?  there's not many is there ?

Not that simple is it? Choose a system and there would be several of our squad that it wouldn’t suit. Having said that, there’s several who aren’t good enough for any system.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 54
grimsby pete
October 26, 2023, 5:44pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Not that simple is it? Choose a system and there would be several of our squad that it wouldn’t suit. Having said that, there’s several who aren’t good enough for any system.

There is always one player that would say , ' what's a system ' ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 54
moosey_club
October 26, 2023, 5:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,252
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from MuddyWaters

& Makes the subs, screams from the sidelines, ..

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 54
1mickylyons
October 26, 2023, 7:58pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,385
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Mappers

There wasn't anyone downing tools on Tuesday I didn't think and they are giving their all - it's more their in game intelligence both tactically & individually that seems to be costing us imo ; and obviously confidence is rock bottom .

I genuinely think Kieran Green is our  most important player now - need him fit from the start ; yes I know he's limited but he's the first name on the teamsheet if in a dogfight for me and does some of the basics well (he would not empty out the middle of the park for example ) .

Yes totally agree. I wasn't a huge fan of Green due to his lack of technical ability BUT  being as nobody else in midfield is any better technically with the exception of Conteh he's got to play for his attitude and energy. Him Conteh Clifton should stabilise the middle.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 54
chaos33
October 26, 2023, 8:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,930
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from MuddyWaters

What do you mean by ‘system’ and why would we only want to play one way, regardless of opponents, situations in games, changes made in-play by opponents? Sure, we have underperforming, out of form disjointed players. Maybe even a few who aren’t good enough, but the premise of your argument is daft.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 54
AncientExiledMariner
October 26, 2023, 10:26pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Yes totally agree. I wasn't a huge fan of Green due to his lack of technical ability BUT  being as nobody else in midfield is any better technically with the exception of Conteh he's got to play for his attitude and energy. Him Conteh Clifton should stabilise the middle.

I agree with you on this. I think in this situation, you need those players that will run into walls and keep going, not give an inch of space and fight for every ball. I think Clifton and Green would give an awful lot of protection to the backline, with Conteh in an advanced role. I'm not a big fan of Waterfall long term, but maybe we need Maher and Waterfall, Efete and Amos to give a real gritty basis for our team. If players want to come in, they've gotta fight there way in. Gav will be coming in to give a rest to players or to change things up.

Rodgers and Mullarkey getting out of the firing line for a few games may give them the chance to come on with nothing to lose and rediscover that form.

I would also take Eastwood out. Back him, and say you believe in him, but you're giving him 5 or so games out to rediscover his grove and take the pressure off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 54
toontown
October 27, 2023, 6:54am
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70

I agree with you on this. I think in this situation, you need those players that will run into walls and keep going, not give an inch of space and fight for every ball. I think Clifton and Green would give an awful lot of protection to the backline, with Conteh in an advanced role. I'm not a big fan of Waterfall long term, but maybe we need Maher and Waterfall, Efete and Amos to give a real gritty basis for our team. If players want to come in, they've gotta fight there way in. Gav will be coming in to give a rest to players or to change things up.

Rodgers and Mullarkey getting out of the firing line for a few games may give them the chance to come on with nothing to lose and rediscover that form.

I would also take Eastwood out. Back him, and say you believe in him, but you're giving him 5 or so games out to rediscover his grove and take the pressure off.

I fear you'd be having to take Cartwright out within a game or two as well
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 54
Ruston AT
October 27, 2023, 11:26am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +431
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I think someone has watched the film 'Money Ball" and thought I'll have a bit of that......such fun!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 54
jimgtfc
October 27, 2023, 12:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,086
Gold Stars: 45

I’d throw Kahn into that conversation as well, think we’ve missed him when he’s not been involved this season.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 54
A Brace Of Tees
October 27, 2023, 1:25pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +701
Gold Stars: 3
I think we do have the players.

The start of the season was quite promising even if results didn't go the way they should have done. We were an even match for Notts County and could have gone on to win that. Since then, they've soared to the top of the table and we've gradually sunk to our present predicament. I did wonder recently if Hurst had lost the players' support but indications are that most of them are still giving it everything - even if it is without real conviction.

The problem now is lack of confidence. Our keeper looks as if he's suffering from PTSD and his glaring errors seem to have unsettled the rest of the team. This has also affected Hurst's approach to games with the club starting to develop a siege mentality.

A few results in our favour will correct this, but if not then I regret to say that our most successful manager since Buckley will have to step aside.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 54
October 27, 2023, 2:39pm
Guest User
Quoted from A Brace Of Tees
I think we do have the players.

The start of the season was quite promising even if results didn't go the way they should have done. We were an even match for Notts County and could have gone on to win that. Since then, they've soared to the top of the table and we've gradually sunk to our present predicament. I did wonder recently if Hurst had lost the players' support but indications are that most of them are still giving it everything - even if it is without real conviction.

The problem now is lack of confidence. Our keeper looks as if he's suffering from PTSD and his glaring errors seem to have unsettled the rest of the team. This has also affected Hurst's approach to games with the club starting to develop a siege mentality.

A few results in our favour will correct this, but if not then I regret to say that our most successful manager since Buckley will have to step aside.

I don't think there is any need to bring PTSD into the conversation, it is a very debilitating illness.

Reply: 25 - 54
grimsby pete
October 27, 2023, 3:01pm

Exile
What we need is  to bring in a top class keeper on loan like Dave Beasant back in the day. What a difference that made.

We can not wait until january so both keepers will have to come down with an illness for a few weeks.

Anybody got any ideas who might be available ?

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 54
BrMarin
October 27, 2023, 3:36pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +17 / -2
Approval: +96
Gold Stars: 8
De gea is available, or maybe whoever Crocombe replaced in the first team at Burton.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 54
ancientmariner54
October 27, 2023, 4:41pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: -185
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from Phil the cod

Ridiculous statement
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 54
ancientmariner54
October 27, 2023, 4:42pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: -185
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Exactly this
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 54
Rick12
October 27, 2023, 4:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Quoted from GYinScuntland

Wish more players in the lower leagues and even some in the premiership could show more effort off the pitch as well. Hearing and reading story's in football such as  occasional binge drinking (Roy Keane's autobiography for one) is not what you want to hear . Could have been even better than he was with more sacrifice as the body is just a machine and every little helps. At least most prem football(I assume) has improved though with certain elements like diet. Going back a bit a book I read was on one of the Italian lads at Chelsea who changed the clubs ethos from daily frys ups to pasta and I remember the player in question(Dennis Wise book I think it was ) felt the benefits on the pitch eg his body was functioning much better.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 54
Mappers
October 27, 2023, 8:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,318
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Rick12

Wish more players in the lower leagues and even some in the premiership could show more effort off the pitch as well. Hearing and reading story's in football such as  occasional binge drinking (Roy Keane's autobiography for one) is not what you want to hear . Could have been even better than he was with more sacrifice as the body is just a machine and every little helps. At least most prem football(I assume) has improved though with certain elements like diet. Going back a bit a book I read was on one of the Italian lads at Chelsea who changed the clubs ethos from daily frys ups to pasta and I remember the player in question(Dennis Wise book I think it was ) felt the benefits on the pitch eg his body was functioning much better.

Gally could do 5 or 6 pints in an hour , that was enough effort off the pitch for me - he wasn't bad on it tbf was he ?

But like you say the game has changed , not sure I like it more myself for many reasons but there's no doubting players are looked after a lot better with more emphasis on clean living etc which means they are in the main now more like athletes than of  what a footballer used to be like - would be interesting to see if someone like Matt Le Tissier could play at a high level now .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 54
grimsby pete
October 27, 2023, 11:00pm

Exile
Saying the players are not getting much stick. is not correct.

Some of the poor sods get plenty of stick when we win.

Like . He can't defend

He loses his man.

Can't shoot straight.

Can't deliver a.ball.

Ball went into the net and he made no effort to save it.

There is plenty more ,should I go on ?  

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 54
Rick12
October 28, 2023, 10:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Quoted from Mappers

Gally could do 5 or 6 pints in an hour , that was enough effort off the pitch for me - he wasn't bad on it tbf was he ?

But like you say the game has changed , not sure I like it more myself for many reasons but there's no doubting players are looked after a lot better with more emphasis on clean living etc which means they are in the main now more like athletes than of  what a footballer used to be like - would be interesting to see if someone like Matt Le Tissier could play at a high level now .
Talking to my old science teacher I always remember what he said though which does applies to sport and life. Water always takes the easiest route when it comes to finding a way past things eg rocks. Think some humans can often be the same and take the easy way out. Easy to be one of the lads and go drinking at the weekend with your mates or other footballers than buck the trend and try to be disciplined with the resulting sacrifice yielding results .

Matt Le Tissier was some player but he did have a laid back attitude which probably held him back . I know from seeing players in youth teams this can sometimes be the case. One lad was quality and I reckon better than say the likes of Harry Clifton now. He was in the Patrick Viera mould of strong and technical but lacked that competitive aggressive edge which does help in the game .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 54
October 28, 2023, 10:31am
Guest User

TBF, most people think Clifton is not having his best season atm, and say that apart from being able to run all day, he isn't offering much to the team.

Reply: 34 - 54
Hagrid
October 28, 2023, 7:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,405
Gold Stars: 534
Spineless, Weak, and shame on the lot of them

Got a good man the sack.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 54
Spurn boy
October 28, 2023, 7:11pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,238
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from Hagrid
Spineless, Weak, and shame on the lot of them

Got a good man the sack.

Something was sadly wrong somewhere, even Jason Stockwood mentioned it in his interview with JT.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 54
RonMariner
October 28, 2023, 11:32pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,693
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Spurn boy

Something was sadly wrong somewhere, even Jason Stockwood mentioned it in his interview with JT.

We all thought that we made some good signings in the summer. The fact that they are not performing as well as expected may be because they are not comfortable in the roles they have been assigned, the formations they have been told to fit into and the tactics they have been told to adopt.

So instead of playing their natural game and in formations which play to their strengths, they have effectively been square pegs in round holes. So they are performing nowhere near their optimal level. Hurst has persisted with his systems despite the shortcomings that were plain for all to see.

The thinking may be that a new manager will utilize these players to far greater effect.   Let's hope so,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 54
nightrider
October 29, 2023, 12:03am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Gallimore was the fastest player in the squad

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 54
Heisenberg
October 29, 2023, 12:24am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,047
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from RonMariner

We all thought that we made some good signings in the summer. The fact that they are not performing as well as expected may be because they are not comfortable in the roles they have been assigned, the formations they have been told to fit into and the tactics they have been told to adopt.

So instead of playing their natural game and in formations which play to their strengths, they have effectively been square pegs in round holes. So they are performing nowhere near their optimal level. Hurst has persisted with his systems despite the shortcomings that were plain for all to see.

The thinking may be that a new manager will utilize these players to far greater effect.   Let's hope so,

No, we didn’t all think we made some good signings. We signed players who’d just been relegated (Eastwood, Rodgers, Mullarkey), midfielders who weren’t needed (Conteh), perennially injured players (Vernam and Eisa) and strikers who weren’t strikers (Pyke). These guys replaced Crocombe, Smith and McAtee. Those who blindly said they were upgrades had no evidence at all.

I personally was blinded by the signing of Vernam, but the others were clearly not wanted elsewhere, and haven’t done much at this level.

Some of Hurst’s acolytes were even saying that Conteh would leave for £1m, and he was the best player in L2 - either he was never that, or Hurst beat the class out of him.

We’ve been utter garbage since the Gillingham game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 54
GibMariner
October 29, 2023, 3:15am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -953
Gold Stars: 21
Reminded me of Hope and Hayward when we signed them. Didn’t go well either.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 54
AdamHaddock
October 29, 2023, 5:56am

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,839
Gold Stars: 26
I suspect a few players will be feeling personally culpable for PH's dismissal, not least those who have given away goals and penalties recently.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 54
dapperz fun pub
October 29, 2023, 6:03am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,935
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Spurn boy

Perhaps hurst wasn’t the problem perhaps somebody else was
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 54
lukeo
October 29, 2023, 6:26am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Quoted from golfer

Maher. Clifton. Cohen. Hollohan. Wilson. Rose. Mullarkey. Rodgers.
The above alone is more than a good enough spine for a mid table league 2 side. I really liked PH as a person but his tactics and formations have let him down this season sadly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 54
ex-merseymariner
October 29, 2023, 7:06am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
You are forgetting that Mcatee and Smith (and Lloyd) weren't our players.  Crocombe and maybe Orsi have been missed. But Eisa hasn't been injured for us, you didn't mention Wilson or Rose, and many thought Mullarkey would be an upgrade on Michee.    

Having said all that, it hasn't been a good 3 months, one win per month, and many dire performances.  We've lacked pace and creativity, we've been predictable and ineffective, and many players have been woeful after a decent start.
Player of the year so far would sure be Maher for consistency or Wilson for his goals.  Not many contenders.  Cartwright was my MoM yesterday, again serious lack of contenders.  Our loanees have done very little. And our use of subs has been laughable.

quote=120888]

No, we didn’t all think we made some good signings. We signed players who’d just been relegated (Eastwood, Rodgers, Mullarkey), midfielders who weren’t needed (Conteh), perennially injured players (Vernam and Eisa) and strikers who weren’t strikers (Pyke). These guys replaced Crocombe, Smith and McAtee. Those who blindly said they were upgrades had no evidence at all.

I personally was blinded by the signing of Vernam, but the others were clearly not wanted elsewhere, and haven’t done much at this level.

Some of Hurst’s acolytes were even saying that Conteh would leave for £1m, and he was the best player in L2 - either he was never that, or Hurst beat the class out of him.

We’ve been utter garbage since the Gillingham game.[/quote]

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 54
Limerick Mariner
October 29, 2023, 9:12am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from RonMariner

I think it's more of the converse, PH has been caught out by players not performing and has been tinkering to get a tune out of the squad and failed. Who expected Glennon and Hunt to be virtually absent from the matchday squad? This is combined with key signings being injured or not good enough; Vernam, Eastwood, Eisa. Watching Eisa yesterday and he just frustrates; he doesn't anticipate and make runs into space at the right time to give us passing options and also picks the wrong options tracking back to cover leaving Amos exposed. Comparing him back to Sousa, for all his lack of end product the one thing you rely on with him is providing an outlet. Amos was a bit at sea in the first half but did better in the second and was clearly up for it. there were occasions when he broke forward in space and Eisa was in the shadow of the defender when the pass needed to be made. Amos is what PH would have had in his mind for his squad role - a decent second choice L2 full back.

If Cartwright proves ok, then I agree the spine is there. Let's see what the new person does with the underperformers.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 54
Maringer
October 29, 2023, 9:32am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,509
Gold Stars: 185
I've only seen the home games except for Bradford, which I watched on TV, and I think one of the biggest issues is that we seem to have missed more open goals than most of our opponents. We lost by two goals to Accrington after Eisa had somehow smacked a shot over the bar from about 2 yards out, then we missed another couple of open goals against Colchester when it was 2-2. You miss chances, you lose games. 6 points from those games and Hurst would still be in a job.

I must admit, I'm surprised we've struggled so much over the past month or so after a solid start to the season, but I think Hurst would have to admit that he's not got the strength in depth in the squad and we're not playing the high-tempo possession game we expected to see at the start of the season.

I suspect Hurst's loyalty to his players has led us to keep a few from last season who aren't quite up to the job, or at least have them as first choices when we really require a bit better.

It will be interesting to see who comes in as manager and see how they decide to play with the squad which they have available. You'd have to imagine that, barring a miraculous turnaround in form, we're unlikely to be worrying the play-off places this season. If we can pick up some results to drag our way up towards mid-table by January, I'd be very happy and I'd hope once the transfer window opens that we will add a bit of pace to the squad and have the option of a physical presence up front, even if they aren't starting games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 54
rancido
October 29, 2023, 6:12pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,568
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Heisenberg

We’ve been utter garbage since the Gillingham game.

Neither McAtee or Smith were our players so we had very little choice in having to  find replacements for them. It is a very risky approach in building a strategy, game plan and team aroun loan players unless you have a cast iron chance of signing them permanently.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 54
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 29, 2023, 7:40pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,689
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from rancido

Neither McAtee or Smith were our players so we had very little choice in having to  find replacements for them. It is a very risky approach in building a strategy, game plan and team aroun loan players unless you have a cast iron chance of signing them permanently.

Be more interested to understand how he believes Conten was not required? Assuming he thinks our midfield was good enough so just goes to show how different we all see the same game!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 54
HertsGTFC
October 29, 2023, 7:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,921
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from AdamHaddock
I suspect a few players will be feeling personally culpable for PH's dismissal, not least those who have given away goals and penalties recently.

I’m not sure they’ll give a sh1t to be honest, all they’ll be concerned about is getting in the team under Ben & Shaun and after that the new manager.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 54
HertsGTFC
October 29, 2023, 8:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Re the players, I’ve not seen every game live but from what I’ve observed,

ADDITIONS

Keepers - In reality neither are experienced for different reasons & it shows. Trying to be modern keepers when in reality the job is to use all of your body to keep the ball out of our net.

Malarkey - Average IMHO, ponderous on the ball, gets caught out of position, not aggressive & bigged up by Town supporters most of whom had never seen him play other than against Town (possibly) no better than Michee.

Rogers - Good player but completely paralysed by fear, needs a player alongside him for 20 games on the bang to tell him where to go, Maher is good at that so maybe he just doesn’t listen. To be fair though exposed by the lack of midfield tracking runs.

Conteh - Brilliant prospect, crowned a £1M+ player by Town fans who’d seen his show real and never seen him for 90 mins. PH asked him to do something in the QB role he’s not ready for without playing alongside the same midfield for a sustained period.  Get Green to do the holding role & Conteh will shine. The 5 yellow card ban stupidity hasn’t helped his decision making or development.

Chas - Loads of talent but gets injured a lot & blows hot & cold. Still optimistic on this signing though.

Abo - After a strong start maybe we’re seeing the real player, hopefully not as despite a few good goals I’m not sure where he’s adding value.

Pyke - Sadly there is no reserve league any longer. In his defence though I’m led to believe he’s not a CF, evidently.

Rose - Good, not sure he’s captaincy material though, but  overall a decent addition.

Wilson - Decent I suspect but PH eluded to the fact that some of his injuries are in his head, a new manager will either make him or break him at GTFC.

Orsi - Yes I know we let him go but you would have expected we’d have replaced him both in teens of the job we need a player to do & attitude. Smart @rse comment, apologies.

Andrews - Just starting out but and hear for a reason and not the betterment of GTFC.

Arthur - Will be gone in Jan unless I’m missing something.

Ainley - Not sure why but maybe he’s on a small salary .

I think that’s it in terms of additions, as I’ve said before the lap top doesn’t measure resilience, loyalty & desire.

The players retained from last season arguably are all capable of playing in league 2, some as starters some as squad players.

For us to progress or at least avoid a relegation scrap the additions needed to be better.

Recruitment & retention decisions alongside some poor tactics & poor in game management cost Hurst his job.

I’m not against the principle of a head of recruitment but other than a zoom call for Conteh I think Joe Hutchinson needs to justify his existence come January & the coming close season.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 54
Teestogreen
October 29, 2023, 9:46pm

Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -156
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Re the players, I’ve not seen every game live but from what I’ve observed,

ADDITIONS

Keepers - In reality neither are experienced for different reasons & it shows. Trying to be modern keepers when in reality the job is to use all of your body to keep the ball out of our net.

Malarkey - Average IMHO, ponderous on the ball, gets caught out of position, not aggressive & bigged up by Town supporters most of whom had never seen him play other than against Town (possibly) no better than Michee.

Rogers - Good player but completely paralysed by fear, needs a player alongside him for 20 games on the bang to tell him where to go, Maher is good at that so maybe he just doesn’t listen. To be fair though exposed by the lack of midfield tracking runs.

Conteh - Brilliant prospect, crowned a £1M+ player by Town fans who’d seen his show real and never seen him for 90 mins. PH asked him to do something in the QB role he’s not ready for without playing alongside the same midfield for a sustained period.  Get Green to do the holding role & Conteh will shine. The 5 yellow card ban stupidity hasn’t helped his decision making or development.

Chas - Loads of talent but gets injured a lot & blows hot & cold. Still optimistic on this signing though.

Abo - After a strong start maybe we’re seeing the real player, hopefully not as despite a few good goals I’m not sure where he’s adding value.

Pyke - Sadly there is no reserve league any longer. In his defence though I’m led to believe he’s not a CF, evidently.

Rose - Good, not sure he’s captaincy material though, but  overall a decent addition.

Wilson - Decent I suspect but PH eluded to the fact that some of his injuries are in his head, a new manager will either make him or break him at GTFC.

Orsi - Yes I know we let him go but you would have expected we’d have replaced him both in teens of the job we need a player to do & attitude. Smart @rse comment, apologies.

Andrews - Just starting out but and hear for a reason and not the betterment of GTFC.

Arthur - Will be gone in Jan unless I’m missing something.

Ainley - Not sure why but maybe he’s on a small salary .

I think that’s it in terms of additions, as I’ve said before the lap top doesn’t measure resilience, loyalty & desire.

The players retained from last season arguably are all capable of playing in league 2, some as starters some as squad players.

For us to progress or at least avoid a relegation scrap the additions needed to be better.

Recruitment & retention decisions alongside some poor tactics & poor in game management cost Hurst his job.

I’m not against the principle of a head of recruitment but other than a zoom call for Conteh I think Joe Hutchinson needs to justify his existence come January & the coming close season.

Herts - the last 2 paragraphs sum it up for me also. May be some politicians on here doing us down . Must be 90 points down this weekend - encouraged 😀

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 54
Tommy
October 29, 2023, 10:19pm
Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from HertsGTFC

The head of recruitment isn't signing the players though. He's helping to identify players for the manager, who can then make decisions on who to try & sign or who to send a scout to watch or watch them himself in person. And then the HoR assists with the process of actually signing a player that the Manager wants to sign, by the sounds of it through being involved in meetings with the player.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 54
HertsGTFC
October 29, 2023, 10:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Tommy

The head of recruitment isn't signing the players though. He's helping to identify players for the manager, who can then make decisions on who to try & sign or who to send a scout to watch or watch them himself in person. And then the HoR assists with the process of actually signing a player that the Manager wants to sign, by the sounds of it through being involved in meetings with the player.

I probably didn’t clarify when I said “poor recruitment & retention” I meant by PH.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 54
LocalLadGTFC
October 29, 2023, 11:03pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,215
Gold Stars: 137
Think the problem we face is that most of these were PH players he wanted. Hurst always had final say on signings and players.. I think you can just look down the road at some of the talent Lincoln have had over these past 3/4 years and Conteh here that JH is more than capable of spotting a player. Eastwood, Mullarkey, Arthur, Ainley and Rekeil Pyke are all players that PH had managed in the past or he'd attempted to sign.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 54 - 54
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › The players.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.