Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › The players.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

The players.

This thread currently has 6,337 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
October 29, 2023, 8:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,956
Gold Stars: 228
Re the players, I’ve not seen every game live but from what I’ve observed,

ADDITIONS

Keepers - In reality neither are experienced for different reasons & it shows. Trying to be modern keepers when in reality the job is to use all of your body to keep the ball out of our net.

Malarkey - Average IMHO, ponderous on the ball, gets caught out of position, not aggressive & bigged up by Town supporters most of whom had never seen him play other than against Town (possibly) no better than Michee.

Rogers - Good player but completely paralysed by fear, needs a player alongside him for 20 games on the bang to tell him where to go, Maher is good at that so maybe he just doesn’t listen. To be fair though exposed by the lack of midfield tracking runs.

Conteh - Brilliant prospect, crowned a £1M+ player by Town fans who’d seen his show real and never seen him for 90 mins. PH asked him to do something in the QB role he’s not ready for without playing alongside the same midfield for a sustained period.  Get Green to do the holding role & Conteh will shine. The 5 yellow card ban stupidity hasn’t helped his decision making or development.

Chas - Loads of talent but gets injured a lot & blows hot & cold. Still optimistic on this signing though.

Abo - After a strong start maybe we’re seeing the real player, hopefully not as despite a few good goals I’m not sure where he’s adding value.

Pyke - Sadly there is no reserve league any longer. In his defence though I’m led to believe he’s not a CF, evidently.

Rose - Good, not sure he’s captaincy material though, but  overall a decent addition.

Wilson - Decent I suspect but PH eluded to the fact that some of his injuries are in his head, a new manager will either make him or break him at GTFC.

Orsi - Yes I know we let him go but you would have expected we’d have replaced him both in teens of the job we need a player to do & attitude. Smart @rse comment, apologies.

Andrews - Just starting out but and hear for a reason and not the betterment of GTFC.

Arthur - Will be gone in Jan unless I’m missing something.

Ainley - Not sure why but maybe he’s on a small salary .

I think that’s it in terms of additions, as I’ve said before the lap top doesn’t measure resilience, loyalty & desire.

The players retained from last season arguably are all capable of playing in league 2, some as starters some as squad players.

For us to progress or at least avoid a relegation scrap the additions needed to be better.

Recruitment & retention decisions alongside some poor tactics & poor in game management cost Hurst his job.

I’m not against the principle of a head of recruitment but other than a zoom call for Conteh I think Joe Hutchinson needs to justify his existence come January & the coming close season.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 54
Teestogreen
October 29, 2023, 9:46pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -156
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Re the players, I’ve not seen every game live but from what I’ve observed,

ADDITIONS

Keepers - In reality neither are experienced for different reasons & it shows. Trying to be modern keepers when in reality the job is to use all of your body to keep the ball out of our net.

Malarkey - Average IMHO, ponderous on the ball, gets caught out of position, not aggressive & bigged up by Town supporters most of whom had never seen him play other than against Town (possibly) no better than Michee.

Rogers - Good player but completely paralysed by fear, needs a player alongside him for 20 games on the bang to tell him where to go, Maher is good at that so maybe he just doesn’t listen. To be fair though exposed by the lack of midfield tracking runs.

Conteh - Brilliant prospect, crowned a £1M+ player by Town fans who’d seen his show real and never seen him for 90 mins. PH asked him to do something in the QB role he’s not ready for without playing alongside the same midfield for a sustained period.  Get Green to do the holding role & Conteh will shine. The 5 yellow card ban stupidity hasn’t helped his decision making or development.

Chas - Loads of talent but gets injured a lot & blows hot & cold. Still optimistic on this signing though.

Abo - After a strong start maybe we’re seeing the real player, hopefully not as despite a few good goals I’m not sure where he’s adding value.

Pyke - Sadly there is no reserve league any longer. In his defence though I’m led to believe he’s not a CF, evidently.

Rose - Good, not sure he’s captaincy material though, but  overall a decent addition.

Wilson - Decent I suspect but PH eluded to the fact that some of his injuries are in his head, a new manager will either make him or break him at GTFC.

Orsi - Yes I know we let him go but you would have expected we’d have replaced him both in teens of the job we need a player to do & attitude. Smart @rse comment, apologies.

Andrews - Just starting out but and hear for a reason and not the betterment of GTFC.

Arthur - Will be gone in Jan unless I’m missing something.

Ainley - Not sure why but maybe he’s on a small salary .

I think that’s it in terms of additions, as I’ve said before the lap top doesn’t measure resilience, loyalty & desire.

The players retained from last season arguably are all capable of playing in league 2, some as starters some as squad players.

For us to progress or at least avoid a relegation scrap the additions needed to be better.

Recruitment & retention decisions alongside some poor tactics & poor in game management cost Hurst his job.

I’m not against the principle of a head of recruitment but other than a zoom call for Conteh I think Joe Hutchinson needs to justify his existence come January & the coming close season.

Herts - the last 2 paragraphs sum it up for me also. May be some politicians on here doing us down . Must be 90 points down this weekend - encouraged 😀

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 54
Tommy
October 29, 2023, 10:19pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from HertsGTFC

The head of recruitment isn't signing the players though. He's helping to identify players for the manager, who can then make decisions on who to try & sign or who to send a scout to watch or watch them himself in person. And then the HoR assists with the process of actually signing a player that the Manager wants to sign, by the sounds of it through being involved in meetings with the player.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 54
HertsGTFC
October 29, 2023, 10:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,956
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Tommy

The head of recruitment isn't signing the players though. He's helping to identify players for the manager, who can then make decisions on who to try & sign or who to send a scout to watch or watch them himself in person. And then the HoR assists with the process of actually signing a player that the Manager wants to sign, by the sounds of it through being involved in meetings with the player.

I probably didn’t clarify when I said “poor recruitment & retention” I meant by PH.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 54
LocalLadGTFC
October 29, 2023, 11:03pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,229
Gold Stars: 137
Think the problem we face is that most of these were PH players he wanted. Hurst always had final say on signings and players.. I think you can just look down the road at some of the talent Lincoln have had over these past 3/4 years and Conteh here that JH is more than capable of spotting a player. Eastwood, Mullarkey, Arthur, Ainley and Rekeil Pyke are all players that PH had managed in the past or he'd attempted to sign.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 54 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › The players.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.