Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › The players.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

The players.

This thread currently has 6,333 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
AncientExiledMariner
October 26, 2023, 10:26pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.51
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Yes totally agree. I wasn't a huge fan of Green due to his lack of technical ability BUT  being as nobody else in midfield is any better technically with the exception of Conteh he's got to play for his attitude and energy. Him Conteh Clifton should stabilise the middle.

I agree with you on this. I think in this situation, you need those players that will run into walls and keep going, not give an inch of space and fight for every ball. I think Clifton and Green would give an awful lot of protection to the backline, with Conteh in an advanced role. I'm not a big fan of Waterfall long term, but maybe we need Maher and Waterfall, Efete and Amos to give a real gritty basis for our team. If players want to come in, they've gotta fight there way in. Gav will be coming in to give a rest to players or to change things up.

Rodgers and Mullarkey getting out of the firing line for a few games may give them the chance to come on with nothing to lose and rediscover that form.

I would also take Eastwood out. Back him, and say you believe in him, but you're giving him 5 or so games out to rediscover his grove and take the pressure off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 54
toontown
October 27, 2023, 6:54am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70

I agree with you on this. I think in this situation, you need those players that will run into walls and keep going, not give an inch of space and fight for every ball. I think Clifton and Green would give an awful lot of protection to the backline, with Conteh in an advanced role. I'm not a big fan of Waterfall long term, but maybe we need Maher and Waterfall, Efete and Amos to give a real gritty basis for our team. If players want to come in, they've gotta fight there way in. Gav will be coming in to give a rest to players or to change things up.

Rodgers and Mullarkey getting out of the firing line for a few games may give them the chance to come on with nothing to lose and rediscover that form.

I would also take Eastwood out. Back him, and say you believe in him, but you're giving him 5 or so games out to rediscover his grove and take the pressure off.

I fear you'd be having to take Cartwright out within a game or two as well
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 54
Ruston AT
October 27, 2023, 11:26am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +431
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Who signed the players, coaches the players, dictates the tactics, chooses the formation (regularly) and picks the team?

I think someone has watched the film 'Money Ball" and thought I'll have a bit of that......such fun!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 54
jimgtfc
October 27, 2023, 12:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,090
Gold Stars: 45

I’d throw Kahn into that conversation as well, think we’ve missed him when he’s not been involved this season.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 54
A Brace Of Tees
October 27, 2023, 1:25pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +701
Gold Stars: 3
I think we do have the players.

The start of the season was quite promising even if results didn't go the way they should have done. We were an even match for Notts County and could have gone on to win that. Since then, they've soared to the top of the table and we've gradually sunk to our present predicament. I did wonder recently if Hurst had lost the players' support but indications are that most of them are still giving it everything - even if it is without real conviction.

The problem now is lack of confidence. Our keeper looks as if he's suffering from PTSD and his glaring errors seem to have unsettled the rest of the team. This has also affected Hurst's approach to games with the club starting to develop a siege mentality.

A few results in our favour will correct this, but if not then I regret to say that our most successful manager since Buckley will have to step aside.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 54
October 27, 2023, 2:39pm
Guest User
Quoted from A Brace Of Tees
I think we do have the players.

The start of the season was quite promising even if results didn't go the way they should have done. We were an even match for Notts County and could have gone on to win that. Since then, they've soared to the top of the table and we've gradually sunk to our present predicament. I did wonder recently if Hurst had lost the players' support but indications are that most of them are still giving it everything - even if it is without real conviction.

The problem now is lack of confidence. Our keeper looks as if he's suffering from PTSD and his glaring errors seem to have unsettled the rest of the team. This has also affected Hurst's approach to games with the club starting to develop a siege mentality.

A few results in our favour will correct this, but if not then I regret to say that our most successful manager since Buckley will have to step aside.

I don't think there is any need to bring PTSD into the conversation, it is a very debilitating illness.

Reply: 25 - 54
grimsby pete
October 27, 2023, 3:01pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
What we need is  to bring in a top class keeper on loan like Dave Beasant back in the day. What a difference that made.

We can not wait until january so both keepers will have to come down with an illness for a few weeks.

Anybody got any ideas who might be available ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 54
BrMarin
October 27, 2023, 3:36pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +17 / -2
Approval: +96
Gold Stars: 8
De gea is available, or maybe whoever Crocombe replaced in the first team at Burton.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 54
ancientmariner54
October 27, 2023, 4:41pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: -185
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from Phil the cod
Having read the threads calling for the managers head (I'd get rid too btw) I can't believe the so called players aren't getting more stick for the run of bad results, if they are sulking or not playing for the manager, then why don't they do the fans a favour and tell us so , then we can make the call of wether to bother traveling to games and all the expenses that come with it.
Always amazes me how players escape the shite. It's like they are made of Teflon.

Ridiculous statement
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 54
ancientmariner54
October 27, 2023, 4:42pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: -185
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Yes totally agree. I wasn't a huge fan of Green due to his lack of technical ability BUT  being as nobody else in midfield is any better technically with the exception of Conteh he's got to play for his attitude and energy. Him Conteh Clifton should stabilise the middle.

Exactly this
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › The players.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.