Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › The players.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

The players.

This thread currently has 6,331 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Rick12
October 27, 2023, 4:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from GYinScuntland
Any player not giving 100% through choice should simply be shown the door.

Wish more players in the lower leagues and even some in the premiership could show more effort off the pitch as well. Hearing and reading story's in football such as  occasional binge drinking (Roy Keane's autobiography for one) is not what you want to hear . Could have been even better than he was with more sacrifice as the body is just a machine and every little helps. At least most prem football(I assume) has improved though with certain elements like diet. Going back a bit a book I read was on one of the Italian lads at Chelsea who changed the clubs ethos from daily frys ups to pasta and I remember the player in question(Dennis Wise book I think it was ) felt the benefits on the pitch eg his body was functioning much better.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 54
Mappers
October 27, 2023, 8:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,324
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Rick12

Wish more players in the lower leagues and even some in the premiership could show more effort off the pitch as well. Hearing and reading story's in football such as  occasional binge drinking (Roy Keane's autobiography for one) is not what you want to hear . Could have been even better than he was with more sacrifice as the body is just a machine and every little helps. At least most prem football(I assume) has improved though with certain elements like diet. Going back a bit a book I read was on one of the Italian lads at Chelsea who changed the clubs ethos from daily frys ups to pasta and I remember the player in question(Dennis Wise book I think it was ) felt the benefits on the pitch eg his body was functioning much better.

Gally could do 5 or 6 pints in an hour , that was enough effort off the pitch for me - he wasn't bad on it tbf was he ?

But like you say the game has changed , not sure I like it more myself for many reasons but there's no doubting players are looked after a lot better with more emphasis on clean living etc which means they are in the main now more like athletes than of  what a footballer used to be like - would be interesting to see if someone like Matt Le Tissier could play at a high level now .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 54
grimsby pete
October 27, 2023, 11:00pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,799
Gold Stars: 222
Saying the players are not getting much stick. is not correct.

Some of the poor sods get plenty of stick when we win.

Like . He can't defend

He loses his man.

Can't shoot straight.

Can't deliver a.ball.

Ball went into the net and he made no effort to save it.

There is plenty more ,should I go on ?  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 54
Rick12
October 28, 2023, 10:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Mappers

Gally could do 5 or 6 pints in an hour , that was enough effort off the pitch for me - he wasn't bad on it tbf was he ?

But like you say the game has changed , not sure I like it more myself for many reasons but there's no doubting players are looked after a lot better with more emphasis on clean living etc which means they are in the main now more like athletes than of  what a footballer used to be like - would be interesting to see if someone like Matt Le Tissier could play at a high level now .
Talking to my old science teacher I always remember what he said though which does applies to sport and life. Water always takes the easiest route when it comes to finding a way past things eg rocks. Think some humans can often be the same and take the easy way out. Easy to be one of the lads and go drinking at the weekend with your mates or other footballers than buck the trend and try to be disciplined with the resulting sacrifice yielding results .

Matt Le Tissier was some player but he did have a laid back attitude which probably held him back . I know from seeing players in youth teams this can sometimes be the case. One lad was quality and I reckon better than say the likes of Harry Clifton now. He was in the Patrick Viera mould of strong and technical but lacked that competitive aggressive edge which does help in the game .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 54
October 28, 2023, 10:31am
Guest User

I agree with you on this. I think in this situation, you need those players that will run into walls and keep going, not give an inch of space and fight for every ball. I think Clifton and Green would give an awful lot of protection to the backline, with Conteh in an advanced role. I'm not a big fan of Waterfall long term, but maybe we need Maher and Waterfall, Efete and Amos to give a real gritty basis for our team. If players want to come in, they've gotta fight there way in. Gav will be coming in to give a rest to players or to change things up.

Rodgers and Mullarkey getting out of the firing line for a few games may give them the chance to come on with nothing to lose and rediscover that form.

I would also take Eastwood out. Back him, and say you believe in him, but you're giving him 5 or so games out to rediscover his grove and take the pressure off.

TBF, most people think Clifton is not having his best season atm, and say that apart from being able to run all day, he isn't offering much to the team.

Reply: 34 - 54
Hagrid
October 28, 2023, 7:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,418
Gold Stars: 534
Spineless, Weak, and shame on the lot of them

Got a good man the sack.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 54
Spurn boy
October 28, 2023, 7:11pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,239
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from Hagrid
Spineless, Weak, and shame on the lot of them

Got a good man the sack.

Something was sadly wrong somewhere, even Jason Stockwood mentioned it in his interview with JT.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 54
RonMariner
October 28, 2023, 11:32pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,714
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Spurn boy

Something was sadly wrong somewhere, even Jason Stockwood mentioned it in his interview with JT.

We all thought that we made some good signings in the summer. The fact that they are not performing as well as expected may be because they are not comfortable in the roles they have been assigned, the formations they have been told to fit into and the tactics they have been told to adopt.

So instead of playing their natural game and in formations which play to their strengths, they have effectively been square pegs in round holes. So they are performing nowhere near their optimal level. Hurst has persisted with his systems despite the shortcomings that were plain for all to see.

The thinking may be that a new manager will utilize these players to far greater effect.   Let's hope so,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 54
nightrider
October 29, 2023, 12:03am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Gallimore was the fastest player in the squad

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 54
Heisenberg
October 29, 2023, 12:24am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,056
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from RonMariner

We all thought that we made some good signings in the summer. The fact that they are not performing as well as expected may be because they are not comfortable in the roles they have been assigned, the formations they have been told to fit into and the tactics they have been told to adopt.

So instead of playing their natural game and in formations which play to their strengths, they have effectively been square pegs in round holes. So they are performing nowhere near their optimal level. Hurst has persisted with his systems despite the shortcomings that were plain for all to see.

The thinking may be that a new manager will utilize these players to far greater effect.   Let's hope so,

No, we didn’t all think we made some good signings. We signed players who’d just been relegated (Eastwood, Rodgers, Mullarkey), midfielders who weren’t needed (Conteh), perennially injured players (Vernam and Eisa) and strikers who weren’t strikers (Pyke). These guys replaced Crocombe, Smith and McAtee. Those who blindly said they were upgrades had no evidence at all.

I personally was blinded by the signing of Vernam, but the others were clearly not wanted elsewhere, and haven’t done much at this level.

Some of Hurst’s acolytes were even saying that Conteh would leave for £1m, and he was the best player in L2 - either he was never that, or Hurst beat the class out of him.

We’ve been utter garbage since the Gillingham game.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › The players.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.