Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Give Cartwright a run in the team?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Give Cartwright a run in the team?

This thread currently has 3,684 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
October 22, 2023, 12:28pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,387
Gold Stars: 56

Which begs the question as to why the recruitment team didn't know that? If I remember rightly it was a bit cloak and dagger getting him announced wasn't it, like it was a major coup for Hull to agree?

An awful lot of questions mounting up about the summer recruitment altogether.

The summer recruitment is looking like money down the drain at this point .Every single player we signed has gone rapidly downhill except Wilson/Rose . The decision to let Crocombe go and replace him with these two a particularly poor bit of judgement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 42
October 22, 2023, 1:31pm
Guest User
I can't deny that most the summer recruits have seen a downturn in form. But then so have most of last year's squad.
Waterfall, Clifton, Holohan to name 3 who aren't performing as well as we'd like.

But that's the life of a pro footballer, you'll have good and bad games.
Can't be a 9 out of 10 every game.
It's exacerbated by the low confidence in the camp.

I disagree that the summer recruitment is money down the drain. Man for man they're better players than those they replaced although admittedly some are not showing that.

Mistakes are always made worse in a defeat.
Take their keeper yesterday.  Poor decision to come out and bring down Clifton.  I dare say it's all forgotten about now and nobody will be calling for him to be replaced on their fans forum.
Reply: 31 - 42
Hagrid
October 22, 2023, 1:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,435
Gold Stars: 535
Quoted from 141269
I can't deny that most the summer recruits have seen a downturn in form. But then so have most of last year's squad.
Waterfall, Clifton, Holohan to name 3 who aren't performing as well as we'd like.

But that's the life of a pro footballer, you'll have good and bad games.
Can't be a 9 out of 10 every game.
It's exacerbated by the low confidence in the camp.

I disagree that the summer recruitment is money down the drain. Man for man they're better players than those they replaced although admittedly some are not showing that.

Mistakes are always made worse in a defeat.
Take their keeper yesterday.  Poor decision to come out and bring down Clifton.  I dare say it's all forgotten about now and nobody will be calling for him to be replaced on their fans forum.

Personally think Gav’s been our best central midfielder
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 42
CSLM
October 22, 2023, 2:12pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +642
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from 1mickylyons

The summer recruitment is looking like money down the drain at this point .Every single player we signed has gone rapidly downhill except Wilson/Rose . The decision to let Crocombe go and replace him with these two a particularly poor bit of judgement.

Not sure you can say Conteh will be money down the drain or poor recruitment, definitely a decent profit to be made on him.

I agree about Crocombe though, he didn't perform as well second half of the season but was still a decent keeper for this level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 42
davmariner
October 22, 2023, 2:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 79
What has Holohan done wrong? Dropped at the start of the season for no clear reason and has largely proven Hurst wrong whenever he’s played.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 42
Maringer
October 22, 2023, 2:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,559
Gold Stars: 185
Crocombe didn't want to stay. We didn't let him go, he went to a club in the division above where he seems to be doing quite well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 42
jamesgtfc
October 22, 2023, 3:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,973
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Maringer
Crocombe didn't want to stay. We didn't let him go, he went to a club in the division above where he seems to be doing quite well.

Hurst thought he only deserved a 1 year deal and signed Eastwood on a 2 year deal. The fact Crocombe is doing well in League 1 suggests Crocombe definitely was worth a 2 year deal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 42
October 22, 2023, 3:23pm
Guest User
Crocombe was offered a deal but Burton offered more.  Simple economics I'm afraid.  Plus the option of playing at a higher level.

Remember he started on the bench for Burton but got his chance owing to injury to their first choice.  Sob far he's done nothing wrong to warrant being dropped. He was signed as 2nd choice.

Reference my comment regards Holohan not playing at his best. Can anybody say he's showing the same form as last year?

Reply: 37 - 42
It Bites
October 22, 2023, 3:25pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,222
Gold Stars: 265
We’ve signed relegation players with that mentality fresh in their head . It takes time to shake it off .
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 42
diehardmariner
October 23, 2023, 9:34am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,632
Gold Stars: 539
For the first few games of the season Eastwood looked absolutely fine and dare I say an upgrade on the final few games of Crocombe.  

Since then we've chopped and changed at the back (some enforced), completely changed our style of play and all in looked a completely different side altogether.

That spine of Eastwood, Maher/Rodgers and Conteh were working so well together in possession of the ball that I think that spread confidence amongst all four.  

I'm not saying Eastwood's drop in form is due to the fact that he isn't passing the ball out to Conteh directly ahead of him, but I think collectively all the differences from August have just chipped away at the lads confidence.  He looks completely devoid of any sense of belief and was largely glued to his line on Saturday, as opposed to the early games when he looked big, strong and brave on crosses.

From what I've seen of Cartwright he looks well away from what we would expect.  

It's a really worrying situation because I wouldn't feel confident with either named between the sticks at the minute.  Only hope is that we can somehow build Eastwood's confidence back up or Cartwright becomes a different beast when he's in the proper first team, his pedigree definitely doesn't match up with the few games I've seen of him.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Give Cartwright a run in the team?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.