Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Give Cartwright a run in the team?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Give Cartwright a run in the team?

This thread currently has 3,679 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
October 21, 2023, 10:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,512
Gold Stars: 185
Given that Cartwright has the No. 1 shirt, I think it's pretty obvious he was signed in the expectation of being first choice? Never seen him play, so I can't comment on his abilities, but he looks like a bit of a skinny kid at the moment and you don't get too many slight keepers. De Gea is pretty much the only one I can think of and he's a bit of an outlier.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 42
smokin joe
October 21, 2023, 10:11pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: -128
did not  make a save till after h e let three in+
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 42
ginnywings
October 21, 2023, 11:58pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,132
Gold Stars: 548
Don't know about today because I didn't see the game, but the first from Accrington last week was poor keeping for me. Wasn't in the top corner and I thought it was a shot that should have been palmed around or over.

The second didn't look much better either. He is a tall striker, but Eastwood is as tall and has the advantage of his arms as well, so should have cleaned out the ball I reckon.

Cartwright back to Hull in Jan, and bring in another stopper?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 42
October 22, 2023, 7:39am
Guest User
Quoted from Maringer
Given that Cartwright has the No. 1 shirt, I think it's pretty obvious he was signed in the expectation of being first choice?

Shirt numbers count for little these days. Having the no.1 is not a sign of being first choice.  Players are tending to keep the same number throughout their careers.

Reply: 23 - 42
HerveJosse
October 22, 2023, 8:50am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from 141269

Shirt numbers count for little these days. Having the no.1 is not a sign of being first choice.  Players are tending to keep the same number throughout their careers.

Going to be a short career then
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 42
Croxton
October 22, 2023, 10:08am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
For my sins I went to the Mansfield and Barnsley cup games. Despite Eastwood's failings, he is way better than Cartwright. It would signal a massive lack of confidence in Eastwood when he simply needs coaching out of bad habits. Cartwright would be crushed. Not as good as the lad we loaned out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 42
Maringer
October 22, 2023, 10:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,512
Gold Stars: 185
Eastwood doesn't look comfortable with the ball at his feet and the defenders know it so are always slightly on edge. When he actually kicks it clear, he generally does OK, but it's the lack of confidence which is the issue. McKeown was always the same, though he was also a really good shot-stopper in his prime. I don't think Eastwood has shown the same.

A pity Crocombe didn't stay, as I suspect we'd have a few more points on the board if he had re-signed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 42
Poojah
October 22, 2023, 10:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,541
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from Croxton
For my sins I went to the Mansfield and Barnsley cup games. Despite Eastwood's failings, he is way better than Cartwright. It would signal a massive lack of confidence in Eastwood when he simply needs coaching out of bad habits. Cartwright would be crushed. Not as good as the lad we loaned out.

Cartwright’s a strange one, that based on what I’ve seen of the lad, I’m unable to reach a more positive summation of his abilities than you. Likewise, whenever he’s been loaned out to other EFL clubs, he’s ended up playing much less football than he seemed to anticipate, which suggests we’re not the only ones to have sight of his flaws.

But he has been a part of the England set-up through to under-20 level, and you presumably don’t do that without a modicum of potential. So what’s the deal? Does he lack the psychological chops to play men’s football in front of a crowd, or is it something else? Perhaps he’ll come good if given the time to get to grips with things, but it’s hard to make a case for it not feeling like a risk as we stand today.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 42
IlkleyMariner
October 22, 2023, 10:58am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
I think Young Cartwright’s performance in the first team games he has played in does nothing to suggest he is ready for League 2.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 42
lew chaterleys lover
October 22, 2023, 12:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
I think Young Cartwright’s performance in the first team games he has played in does nothing to suggest he is ready for League 2.

Which begs the question as to why the recruitment team didn't know that? If I remember rightly it was a bit cloak and dagger getting him announced wasn't it, like it was a major coup for Hull to agree?

An awful lot of questions mounting up about the summer recruitment altogether.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Give Cartwright a run in the team?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.