9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
TAGG
October 14, 2023, 4:47pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,952
Gold Stars: 126
I'm in the club, I left before they got there first goal.
I have supported Hurst as much as I don't like the bloke but no more HE HAS TO GO.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
dapperz fun pub
October 14, 2023, 4:49pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,959
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from TAGG
I'm in the club, I left before they got there first goal.
I have supported Hurst as much as I don't like the bloke but no more HE HAS TO GO.

I agree but I can’t see the owners sacking him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 85
ska face
October 14, 2023, 4:51pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Gotta go for me. Hurst on the sidelines mirrors the boardroom - paralysed by inertia. These two didn’t become millionaires by watching their most important staff make a bolløcks of their job, they would have acted. This should be no different. Time’s time.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 85
Mariner93er
October 14, 2023, 5:07pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,738
Gold Stars: 28
I think Stockwood is capable of being more ruthless than some give him credit for - you don't enjoy as much business success as he has if you're not. Can't imagine Hurst has many lives left.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 85
1mickylyons
October 14, 2023, 5:10pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
I left along with 80% of the crowd on 0-2 what kind of set up was that today ? The only player I can give any credit to is Rose who tried his best the rest where shocking especially the midfield.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 85
HerveJosse
October 14, 2023, 5:11pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
After that performance nothing needs saying. Wake me up when we have a new manager
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 85
Bigdog
October 14, 2023, 5:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Mariner93er
I think Stockwood is capable of being more ruthless than some give him credit for - you don't enjoy as much business success as he has if you're not. Can't imagine Hurst has many lives left.

Hurst has been given the tools to do the job.. he's just not up to it anymore..

To the point where no one believes in his starting line ups and formations, and it shows in the players too..

Time for Stockwood to start up a chairman manager dating app..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 85
Hagrid
October 14, 2023, 5:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,434
Gold Stars: 535
I’m one of Pauls biggest supporters, But i think its time for a change. Yes we missed sitters, Yes Waterfall let his team mates down, but that was utterly dull, Dreary, just a chore to be there. I saw a team not playing for their manager. Something i never ever thought I’d say about a Paul Hurst side.

I argued with a bloke on the way out who was abusive and calling Hurst a clown amongst other things. The man deserves some respect no matter what happens now.

Gutted tonight, and its not just the result thats done that to me
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 85
LH
October 14, 2023, 5:26pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,532
Gold Stars: 173
Thanks for some great memories Paul but it’s time for a change. It’s dull but its through his choice. We’re illdisciplined and the club captain getting sent off for a needless second yellow epitomises that. We’ve had big money to spend and moved backwards. He came in at the right time post the Holloway debacle, brought us two promotions and a fabulous cup run and I’ve backed him all the way. Listening to him right now it’s clear he’s out of his depth now and it’s time to part ways.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 85
golfer
October 14, 2023, 5:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,443
Gold Stars: 116
11 pairs of testicles on a football pitch and not one decent player in sight.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 85
GrimRob
October 14, 2023, 5:38pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,421
Gold Stars: 113
Don't mind losing but the minimum is to compete and give your all. Players just didn't look interested or bothered. Body language was terrible. Maybe a change is needed.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 85
pontoonlew
October 14, 2023, 5:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,042
Gold Stars: 177
I love what the owners have brought to the club but tonight is a huge test of what their ambitions for the club really are
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 85
MuddyWaters
October 14, 2023, 5:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,261
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from GrimRob
Don't mind losing but the minimum is to compete and give your all. Players just didn't look interested or bothered. Body language was terrible. Maybe a change is needed.

Exactly this. Danny Rose was furious when substituted, understandably so, the lack of a handshake spoke volumes.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 85
blundellpork
October 14, 2023, 5:50pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,655
Gold Stars: 32
The squad is decent enough, but the set up and tactics are all wrong.

Conteh looked a real find, but has regressed and probably needs some time out if the team or his confidence will go (like Mansaram when he played up front on his own all those years ago).

The line up is too defensive with Rose isolated up top. In Eisa, Wilson, Rose and Gnahoua there is the quality there, but the team looks less than the sum of its individual parts.

We still don’t have a clear identity or way of playing, and the players themselves look lost.

Whilst Hurst is right that we had the better chances and could have won, yet again it was dreadful to watch. He’s fast running out of time unless things change quickly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 85
Wiley2405
October 14, 2023, 5:53pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +663
Gold Stars: 20
Something ain’t right in the dressing room, listening to HC interview has convinced me. We have a better team better players but it’s just not right. Even listening to Hurst, I wanted him to just come out and say basically we were rubbish but no just excuses.

Things need to change ASAP
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 85
toontown
October 14, 2023, 6:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,280
Gold Stars: 70
I've always been a Hurst supporter, albeit with caveats about his management, but today was just awful and the players just didn't look arsed at all. Something is badly wrong, I suspect it's frustration with the system and management as I think we have some decent individuals, but that's just a guess. What is especially galling is, when waterfall gets booked and he has a better CD on the bench with 45 minutes to play he doesn't make the change. An out of form, lacking in pace waterfall, that was just asking for a second yellow and it was an obvious change that needed making. But a stubborn refusal to make changes before 70 minutes has overridden common sense there and cost us a point against a very poor side (don't think we'd have got all 3 even with 11 men).

I am a massive fan of Clifton but he's been popr this season and was very poor today, needed subbing for Holohan at half time too.

We are usually awful to watch, poor in performances and poor in results. Yet we've had more to spend than for years and the individual players seem capable. It has to stand at Hurst's door. His in-game management is just so bad.

The crowd has definitely turned. It'll be toxic if 2k away fans are treated to another performance like that on Saturday, and we'll be thrashed if we do.

I don't think next Saturday will be curtains for him as defeat is priced in, but a defeat will surely mean the home match to Colchester then becomes an absolute must win.

I've gone from narrow Hurst in to 50/50, won't complain if he's sacked and he'd have no right to complain either, but not calling for it. The fact remains though we are sleep walking towards another relegation battle at the moment. We've been relegated with him before when he's had some time so we'd be foolish to leave it until January if it continues like this in my opinion. A risk we can't afford to take.

My opinion won't make either camp happy I think - I'm not calling for him to go but improvements required immediately or else I think we have no choice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 85
MaccasBoots
October 14, 2023, 6:06pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Approval: +684
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from toontown
I've always been a Hurst supporter, albeit with caveats about his management, but today was just awful and the players just didn't look arsed at all. Something is badly wrong, I suspect it's frustration with the system and management as I think we have some decent individuals, but that's just a guess. What is especially galling is, when waterfall gets booked and he has a better CD on the bench with 45 minutes to play he doesn't make the change. An out of form, lacking in pace waterfall, that was just asking for a second yellow and it was an obvious change that needed making. But a stubborn refusal to make changes before 70 minutes has overridden common sense there and cost us a point against a very poor side (don't think we'd have got all 3 even with 11 men).

I am a massive fan of Clifton but he's been popr this season and was very poor today, needed subbing for Holohan at half time too.

We are usually awful to watch, poor in performances and poor in results. Yet we've had more to spend than for years and the individual players seem capable. It has to stand at Hurst's door. His in-game management is just so bad.

The crowd has definitely turned. It'll be toxic if 2k away fans are treated to another performance like that on Saturday, and we'll be thrashed if we do.

I don't think next Saturday will be curtains for him as defeat is priced in, but a defeat will surely mean the home match to Colchester then becomes an absolute must win.

I've gone from narrow Hurst in to 50/50, won't complain if he's sacked and he'd have no right to complain either, but not calling for it. The fact remains though we are sleep walking towards another relegation battle at the moment. We've been relegated with him before when he's had some time so we'd be foolish to leave it until January if it continues like this in my opinion. A risk we can't afford to take.

My opinion won't make either camp happy I think - I'm not calling for him to go but improvements required immediately or else I think we have no choice.

You say your opinion won't make either camp happy, but for my money it's the most balanced and considered take on here - fair play
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 85
AdamHaddock
October 14, 2023, 6:15pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,838
Gold Stars: 26
Anyone fancy selling their Stockport ticket?

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 85
grimsby pete
October 14, 2023, 6:26pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
It's hard to believe in 2 or 3 games we could be in the bottom 2:

Don't leave it too late Jason \ Andrew. The new man will need to access what we have before he signs the right players in January.

We have better players than last year but the team is not doing any better.

That's down to tactics and the desire of the players to believe in what the manager tells them what to do.

I don't think Hurst used the word ATTACK very often in his team talk.

He is far too defensive and we only attack with any threat when we are losing most of the time.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 85
LocalLadGTFC
October 14, 2023, 6:29pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,228
Gold Stars: 137
I don't know where people are getting that they don't have the ruthless streak in them to sack a manager? The amount of staff turned over behind the scenes clearly shows they're willing to move people on. They're fans as much as owners and they won't be impressed with what they're watching either. I had more fun watching the boats sail past today. i'd rather have Bignot Bingo right now, at least there was some excitement  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 85
Yarborough Vaults
October 14, 2023, 6:38pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Approval: +214
Gold Stars: 32
Hold your nerve people, just a rough patch that's all. Notice those who want Hurst out haven't made a single suggestion of who could replace him.

See where we are at Christmas. If we're bottom two then, a decision should be made. But not before in my opinion
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 85
It Bites
October 14, 2023, 6:40pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,218
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Yarborough Vaults
Hold your nerve people, just a rough patch that's all. Notice those who want Hurst out haven't made a single suggestion of who could replace him.

See where we are at Christmas. If we're bottom two then, a decision should be made. But not before in my opinion

The players have stopped. It’s very visible to see . Christmas will be too late imo
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 85
denni266
October 14, 2023, 6:42pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132

Same old reply`s  Who do we want to replace him with.. bloody ronald mcdonald would do right now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 85
LocalLadGTFC
October 14, 2023, 6:46pm
Cocktail Drinker

Mike Williamson, Kevin Maher, Andy Whing, Phil Parkinson ( Altrincham ) - just 4 options for you. Plenty of managers out of work also and they'll be plenty of managers apply to work with a squad with ours. These aren't bad players, we've seen flashes of brilliance, it's being coached out of them and he's making terrible choices. We can all see that Waterfall is past league football based on performances this season, Maher and Rodgers looked like the next coming of Whittle and Futcher early season. Maher is fully fit and left out? I ain't his biggest fan but Pyke has scored two in two and was dropped for Gnahoua... Holohan has been arguably our best midfielder and is left out for Clifton who's been terrible. Eisa has been invisible since missing that pen. There's 0 patterns of play other than a useless clip into Rose and hope he wins a flick on or we win the second ball. It's terrible football.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 85
LocalLadGTFC
October 14, 2023, 6:48pm
Cocktail Drinker
We've seen most the sides above us, barring probably Mansfield none of them made me stand back and think wow.... we have a good squad that I personally think should be aiming for the playoffs.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 24 - 85
Wiley2405
October 14, 2023, 6:49pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Approval: +663
Gold Stars: 20
If I were stockwood id already be on the phone to the Gateshead manager
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 85
headingly_mariner
October 14, 2023, 6:52pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,379
Gold Stars: 119
That was flipping shite. We've had some good performances this season and not got the result. That was not one.

I'd like to see him given time to turn it round because I fully believe he will. I don't think he will get much time though.

Holohan should've been in for Andrews from the start and I think he's got to go back to wingbacks. Maher is one of our best players and Glennon is great at wingback.

The sending off was the big moment but it was excrement before that. We found a way to lose that game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 85
Maringer
October 14, 2023, 6:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,557
Gold Stars: 185
I think Hurst's loyalty to the players went a bit too far in his anodyne post-match interview in which he didn't sound convinced of his own excuses. No doubt teams do go through rocky patches, and we certainly are at the moment, but it's not just bad luck. He doesn't like to criticise the players, but there was a lot in that performance to criticise. Sloppy, slow passing throughout the team, a failure to be aware of what was going on around them, individual error upon individual error.

The key point in the game was Eisa's ludicrous miss from just a few yards out. I think I'm correct in remembering that it cleared the stand? The goal was so open, he could have let it hit him and still scored. Just a reflection of his form over the past few games.

This was followed up by the bizarre misjudgement by Waterfall leading to the red card and then, typically their player stuck an effort into the top corner in one of the game's few pieces of quality. The second goal was ludicrous as well. A good recovery tackle from Maher then nobody bothered to clear the loose ball leading to the cross and header.

Ultimately, other than the failure to sign enough forwards or many players with much in the way of pace, the problem on the coaching side is the formation we're trying to play. We're playing with a single forward but still somehow finding ourselves outnumbered in midfield most games and, truthfully, I can't see what we're trying to do with it. There is lip service to increased possession, but the passing through midfield is non-existent at times, we don't create enough overlaps (and none of the full-backs we have is great going forward), nobody is getting up to support Rose and we fail to retain possession as often as not when the opposition hacks a clearance upfield. A distinct lack of guile on show in the middle of the park as you might expect with Clifton in there alongside inexperienced youngsters in Conteh and Andrews. Holohan on the bench is experienced but guile isn't in his repertoire.

If we're going to try and play a possession-based game, we should have signed the players to do so, but we haven't. I think we're going to need to move to a style of play and formation which suits the players better, whatever that may be, but there needs to be a change.

I never advocate a change in manager at this stage of the season, but we need to start grinding out some results, if nothing else. Hurst and Co need to rethink their plans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 85
ska face
October 14, 2023, 6:58pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC
I don't know where people are getting that they don't have the ruthless streak in them to sack a manager? The amount of staff turned over behind the scenes clearly shows they're willing to move people on.

Because to me they’ve spent far too much time talking about how aligned they and Hurst are on values - I’m sure most managers would prefer a boss that is supportive and not liable to sack them after 6 games, don’t think Hurst is particularly extraordinary in that respect.

I also think that spell we had in the Conference, where they didn’t sack him, has made a rod for their backs - or they reluctant to try and remove that rod. The context is completely different, sacking Hurst halfway through a season, mid table in the conference looking at a huge loss for the year, destabilising us further. Any new manager would’ve been, in winter 21, the 6th in three years and inheriting a fairly bog standard conference team with the exception of Mcatee.

Context is everything, and we are now a League 2 club with good gates, a decent budget and a squad with some players more than good enough for the level (Maher, Conteh, Rodgers, Eisa), but going backwards quickly. I hope they don’t succumb to the odd attitude prevalent on here that nobody would ever want to come - smacks of a small time, small town view, lacking in ambition.

When we’ve had players who’ve done well for us but been unable to deliver at the next level, they’ve gone with our gratitude and best wishes - look at the likes of Taylor, Cropper, Pearson, Coke, etc. No reason why we shouldn’t take the same view with managers.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 85
MuddyWaters
October 14, 2023, 7:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,261
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Maringer
I think Hurst's loyalty to the players went a bit too far in his anodyne post-match interview in which he didn't sound convinced of his own excuses. No doubt teams do go through rocky patches, and we certainly are at the moment, but it's not just bad luck. He doesn't like to criticise the players, but there was a lot in that performance to criticise. Sloppy, slow passing throughout the team, a failure to be aware of what was going on around them, individual error upon individual error.

The key point in the game was Eisa's ludicrous miss from just a few yards out. I think I'm correct in remembering that it cleared the stand? The goal was so open, he could have let it hit him and still scored. Just a reflection of his form over the past few games.

This was followed up by the bizarre misjudgement by Waterfall leading to the red card and then, typically their player stuck an effort into the top corner in one of the game's few pieces of quality. The second goal was ludicrous as well. A good recovery tackle from Maher then nobody bothered to clear the loose ball leading to the cross and header.

Ultimately, other than the failure to sign enough forwards or many players with much in the way of pace, the problem on the coaching side is the formation we're trying to play. We're playing with a single forward but still somehow finding ourselves outnumbered in midfield most games and, truthfully, I can't see what we're trying to do with it. There is lip service to increased possession, but the passing through midfield is non-existent at times, we don't create enough overlaps (and none of the full-backs we have is great going forward), nobody is getting up to support Rose and we fail to retain possession as often as not when the opposition hacks a clearance upfield. A distinct lack of guile on show in the middle of the park as you might expect with Clifton in there alongside inexperienced youngsters in Conteh and Andrews. Holohan on the bench is experienced but guile isn't in his repertoire.

If we're going to try and play a possession-based game, we should have signed the players to do so, but we haven't. I think we're going to need to move to a style of play and formation which suits the players better, whatever that may be, but there needs to be a change.

I never advocate a change in manager at this stage of the season, but we need to start grinding out some results, if nothing else. Hurst and Co need to rethink their plans.

I advocate a change right now. The players’ body language speaks volumes. They are a pretty talented bunch and the manager doesn’t seem to know what to do with them.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 85
Hagrid
October 14, 2023, 7:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I advocate a change right now. The players’ body language speaks volumes. They are a pretty talented bunch and the manager doesn’t seem to know what to do with them.

They arent innocent in all this, yes PH signed them, yes they play to his instructions, but some of their body language and lack of fight was so evident today. Again something we’d never expect from a Hurst side. I think you alluded to it earlier, something is not right behind the scenes
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 85
LocalLadGTFC
October 14, 2023, 7:05pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from ska face

Because to me they’ve spent far too much time talking about how aligned they and Hurst are on values - I’m sure most managers would prefer a boss that is supportive and not liable to sack them after 6 games, don’t think Hurst is particularly extraordinary in that respect.

I also think that spell we had in the Conference, where they didn’t sack him, has made a rod for their backs - or they reluctant to try and remove that rod. The context is completely different, sacking Hurst halfway through a season, mid table in the conference looking at a huge loss for the year, destabilising us further. Any new manager would’ve been, in winter 21, the 6th in three years and inheriting a fairly bog standard conference team with the exception of Mcatee.

Context is everything, and we are now a League 2 club with good gates, a decent budget and a squad with some players more than good enough for the level (Maher, Conteh, Rodgers, Eisa), but going backwards quickly. I hope they don’t succumb to the odd attitude prevalent on here that nobody would ever want to come - smacks of a small time, small town view, lacking in ambition.

When we’ve had players who’ve done well for us but been unable to deliver at the next level, they’ve gone with our gratitude and best wishes - look at the likes of Taylor, Cropper, Pearson, Coke, etc. No reason why we shouldn’t take the same view with managers.

I believe they refer to that spell and put it down to the reason they didn't sack him due to the data etc, and all the data showed that we were unlucky and that it'd turn that form around... I hope the same approach isn't taken here because regardless of the stats showing if games finished at half time we'd be leading it's been absolotely terrible. I agree with absolotely everything you say there and you've hit the nail on the head for me.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 31 - 85
1mickylyons
October 14, 2023, 7:11pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
It'll be the fans to blame next mark my words .Toxic,drunk etc etc
The fans go to back the team it doesn't take much and we will get behind them but I see nothing at all to give me hope at present.Clearly something is wrong within the camp and PH is the guy in charge but the actual games have been getting progressively worse.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 85
Blundellite
October 14, 2023, 7:15pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +71
Gold Stars: 18
He has reverted to the Hurst who was sacked by Ipswich then scunny and took us down without much of a fight. it was pure/outrageous fortune by the football gods we got promoted that year. We were nowhere near the top 2 teams at season end
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 85
mariner91
October 14, 2023, 7:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,662
Gold Stars: 262
That was terrible. Really, really bad. We've got some talented players but we've got a very disjointed squad which I think will actually be quite difficult to work with regardless of who comes in if Hurst goes. We've got limited striking options, no pace in the team other than Wilson, no physical presence as an attacking option, very few players capable of going past their man, very little technical ability and nous in the centre of midfield, no capable left back, only two capable centre backs and two keepers who are both quite substantially worse than the one they're replacing.

He's created a rod for his own back by making a squad that has neither the pace, power or physical presence to go long properly but without the ability in midfield to work through the thirds. Having said that, the movement and pattern of play is awful. The gap between Conteh and the defenders to the forward players when we have the ball is huge and results in just aimless hoofs which never amount to anything. The central midfielders just run forward in an aimless straight line creating a static front five. It is mindless stuff, the sort of stuff you see at under 12's. No interplay, no link up, nobody coming short or willing to demand the ball when under pressure. I said at the start of the season we needed more signings in central midfield than just Conteh and nothing has changed my mind in that regard.

But the worst thing is there's no urgency or fight amongst this bunch who are not exempt from criticism at all. They're clearly not playing for Hurst and the performances are getting worse. That on top of no clear and obvious plan or signs of something developing mean it's time for a change. Thank you for everything Paul, I've been a supporter of yours in the past but you've made a real pig's ear of it this season and if we leave it too late we're going to end up in a relegation fight.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 85
davmariner
October 14, 2023, 7:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 79
Things are bad at the minute, but Hurst isn't a bad manager, and certainly hasn't become one since the end of the last season.

As I've mentioned on another thread, our recruitment hasn't been good enough. We've lost Crocombe, Smith, McAtee, Lloyd, Emmanuel and Orsi and not replaced them properly.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 85
lew chaterleys lover
October 14, 2023, 7:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,726
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from mariner91
That was terrible. Really, really bad. We've got some talented players but we've got a very disjointed squad which I think will actually be quite difficult to work with regardless of who comes in if Hurst goes. We've got limited striking options, no pace in the team other than Wilson, no physical presence as an attacking option, very few players capable of going past their man, very little technical ability and nous in the centre of midfield, no capable left back, only two capable centre backs and two keepers who are both quite substantially worse than the one they're replacing.

He's created a rod for his own back by making a squad that has neither the pace, power or physical presence to go long properly but without the ability in midfield to work through the thirds. Having said that, the movement and pattern of play is awful. The gap between Conteh and the defenders to the forward players when we have the ball is huge and results in just aimless hoofs which never amount to anything. The central midfielders just run forward in an aimless straight line creating a static front five. It is mindless stuff, the sort of stuff you see at under 12's. No interplay, no link up, nobody coming short or willing to demand the ball when under pressure. I said at the start of the season we needed more signings in central midfield than just Conteh and nothing has changed my mind in that regard.

But the worst thing is there's no urgency or fight amongst this bunch who are not exempt from criticism at all. They're clearly not playing for Hurst and the performances are getting worse. That on top of no clear and obvious plan or signs of something developing mean it's time for a change. Thank you for everything Paul, I've been a supporter of yours in the past but you've made a real pig's ear of it this season and if we leave it too late we're going to end up in a relegation fight.  

A great post and one I agree with wholeheartedly.

We have been playing as you describe for weeks and the lack of urgency has been obvious from the start.

The players aren't nearly as good as we all hoped, they all look bit part players. It does indeed look like an under 12 game when we get possession and everybody just runs forward as if the ball is an afterthought.

I feel for Hurst as he must be gutted to see it unravel like this, but as a poster said the players have downed tools; it looks to me they have had enough of the tactics and perhaps feel they would perform better with a fresh approach but whatever happens we will need quite a few signings in January.

Private Message
Reply: 36 - 85
Simon
October 14, 2023, 7:53pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Approval: +237
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Blundellite
He has reverted to the Hurst who was sacked by Ipswich then scunny and took us down without much of a fight. it was pure/outrageous fortune by the football gods we got promoted that year. We were nowhere near the top 2 teams at season end

Agree with that

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 85
arryarryarry
October 14, 2023, 7:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Quoted from davmariner
Things are bad at the minute, but Hurst isn't a bad manager, and certainly hasn't become one since the end of the last season.

As I've mentioned on another thread, our recruitment hasn't been good enough. We've lost Crocombe, Smith, McAtee, Lloyd, Emmanuel and Orsi and not replaced them properly.

If our recruitment hasn't been good enough who are you saying who's fault that was.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 85
Spurn boy
October 14, 2023, 8:04pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,240
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from 1mickylyons
It'll be the fans to blame next mark my words .Toxic,drunk etc etc
The fans go to back the team it doesn't take much and we will get behind them but I see nothing at all to give me hope at present.Clearly something is wrong within the camp and PH is the guy in charge but the actual games have been getting progressively worse.

Fans pay their money and go to watch and support their team, at the same time we expect to be entertained, unfortunately for us this is not happening especially at BP. Maybe Paul Hurst doesn’t believe that producing a team that is entertaining is part of his job and is more concerned with not conceding goals and to that end produces boring team performance’s. Obviously something is not quite right in the dressing room as the players are not performing to anything like their abilities and unfortunately I can’t see it getting any better.UTM

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 85
arryarryarry
October 14, 2023, 8:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
At 70 minutes I was thinking how would I sum this game up and I came up with two excrement teams.

At full time I thought one excrement team and one that was a complete utter shower of clueless shite with a manager that looks like he has lost the plot.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 85
davmariner
October 14, 2023, 8:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,936
Quoted from arryarryarry

If our recruitment hasn't been good enough who are you saying who's fault that was.

All managers make mistakes, but that doesn’t mean they can’t turn things around or make the changes needed to stabilise things. It is still early in the season and we are coming off the back of a tough run of fixtures. What’s the point in sacking him now? It’ll just lead to another slump over a run of games that we can pick up points from.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 85
smokey111
October 14, 2023, 8:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +3,349
Gold Stars: 46
Genuine question. Is Hurst a coaching manager or a manager manager. By that I mean is there any culpability for Davies, Doig, Pearson etc. Who takes the sessions? Who drills the tactics?

"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That’s how I see football, that’s how I see life.” Bill Shankly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 85
Stew0_0
October 14, 2023, 8:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 35
I've always been a fan of Hurst but just don't see him ever being brave enough to go at teams, especially at home. We lost that game in the first half. A strong wind behind our backs and yet recall 1 shot that the keeper had to make. We should have peppered the goal to take a comfortable advantage into the 2nd half, and yet 1 striker on the pitch, limited skill and guile in the centre, Holohan and Maher left on the bench when they are arguably 2 of our best players and too many players simply not in any kind of form at all.
Paul has a reluctance to change the system, either from the start of from the bench apart from the last 5 minutes when the game is lost already.

I would like a new approach and management team before this season either peters out or we get dragged in a relegation fight.
I believe the Cowley brothers are not in management ATM. Just saying
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 85
Ruston AT
October 14, 2023, 8:37pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +431
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from smokey111
Genuine question. Is Hurst a coaching manager or a manager manager. By that I mean is there any culpability for Davies, Doig, Pearson etc. Who takes the sessions? Who drills the tactics?

What tactics ? we don't have an attacking co-ordinator/coach so what do we expect....yep a well drilled defensive team ( well a defensive team) who lose it attacking.
Why in the second half did we play the same way as them, lets hoof a long ball and watch it come back on the wind Alan Buckleys teams would've ripped this team a new one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 85
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 14, 2023, 9:01pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
A others have said a truly awful performance and it’s hard to think of any player who actually played well. Maybe I’m just too old for modern football tactics but having two players stuck out wide with one isolated (& diminutive centre forward) is supposed to achieve what? Especially as neither of the wide man rarely goes past their full back or is willing to get involved in physical challenges. As for the midfield Clifton gets worse by the match, Andrews wouldn’t win a tackle against a grannie and Conteh is going backwards after a very promising start. Amos was simply atrocious today and Mullarkey is a backwards step from Efete, he has no pace, no physicality and is not as good going forwards.

Our ball retention and control was non existent and it was like taking candy off a baby. Accrington were as poor as Salford when they visited but we didn’t deserve anything.

Finally Hurst’s post match interview was laughable and bore no reflection of what we are having to watch. Home games last season were a chore and this season they’ve deteriorated even further so for me Hurst goes now it’s so bloody painful to watch that crap.

Finally how was the crowd 6300 plus? More empty seats than any other Saturday game I’ve attended yet our alleged home crowd was higher?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 85
arryarryarry
October 14, 2023, 9:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from davmariner

All managers make mistakes, but that doesn’t mean they can’t turn things around or make the changes needed to stabilise things. It is still early in the season and we are coming off the back of a tough run of fixtures. What’s the point in sacking him now? It’ll just lead to another slump over a run of games that we can pick up points from.

Where did I suggest we sack him?
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 85
spuggybridge
October 14, 2023, 9:07pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +41
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Mike Williamson, Kevin Maher, Andy Whing, Phil Parkinson ( Altrincham ) - just 4 options for you. Plenty of managers out of work also and they'll be plenty of managers apply to work with a squad with ours. These aren't bad players, we've seen flashes of brilliance, it's being coached out of them and he's making terrible choices. We can all see that Waterfall is past league football based on performances this season, Maher and Rodgers looked like the next coming of Whittle and Futcher early season. Maher is fully fit and left out? I ain't his biggest fan but Pyke has scored two in two and was dropped for Gnahoua... Holohan has been arguably our best midfielder and is left out for Clifton who's been terrible. Eisa has been invisible since missing that pen. There's 0 patterns of play other than a useless clip into Rose and hope he wins a flick on or we win the second ball. It's terrible football.  

As stated in the Hurst out thread, John Eustace recently sacked by Birmingham might be one to look at, he's got them to play off contenders.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 85
Maringer
October 14, 2023, 9:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,557
Gold Stars: 185
Mullarkey is better going forward than Efete. He can cross the ball, which is a plus, whereas Efete can't. Not sure which is the best defender, but not much in it.

Amos didn't look properly fit to me. Their second goal came after he failed to clear the ball following Maher's tackle and he looked knackered, almost out of it by then.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 85
male private Nale
October 14, 2023, 9:15pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Approval: -919
Gold Stars: 136
I don’t want hurst out , I want Rod Jane and Freddie out , these chancers running our club have been well and truly found out . Get em gone . Shove your B Corp up your bottom ….. sideways
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 85
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
October 14, 2023, 9:19pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from spuggybridge

As stated in the Hurst out thread, John Eustace recently sacked by Birmingham might be one to look at, he's got them to play off contenders.

Zero chance.

He was linked to the Rangers job the other day. I mean, it looks like he’s not going to get it, but that’s the level he’s being linked with.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 85
It Bites
October 14, 2023, 9:20pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,218
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from male private Nale
I don’t want hurst out , I want Rod Jane and Freddie out , these chancers running our club have been well and truly found out . Get em gone . Shove your B Corp up your bottom ….. sideways

And it was all going so well tonight . Have they let you have your phone today
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 85
Northbank Mariner
October 14, 2023, 9:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,487
Gold Stars: 171

Still salty because your bum chum has been removed...what a plank you are
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 85
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 14, 2023, 9:31pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Quoted from Maringer
Mullarkey is better going forward than Efete. He can cross the ball, which is a plus, whereas Efete can't. Not sure which is the best defender, but not much in it.

Amos didn't look properly fit to me. Their second goal came after he failed to clear the ball following Maher's tackle and he looked knackered, almost out of it by then.

Just don’t agree at all with this, yes Mullarkey is capable of putting over a decent cross but he doesn’t achieve this consistently but more one in four and he has little or no pace whatsoever. Efete much the better defender and at least gives us some pace going forward albeit I accept he can also be inconsistent. Efete and Sousa were worth watching and they worked well together and gave us a threat out wide, Arthur and Toby merely amble around.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 85
ska face
October 14, 2023, 9:32pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

Mullarkey and Eastwood particularly definitely have the air of two players who were relegated last year, Rodgers too to a certain extent. Waterfall obviously was relegated from this division not long ago.

Decent players in there but far too easy to score against, not ruthless enough. There’s a quiet acceptance when we concede goals, not ideal when that’s 80% of your back 5, even worse when you’ve no functioning left back at times.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 85
moosey_club
October 14, 2023, 9:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,268
Gold Stars: 226
Left it an hour or three...

Not listened to Hurst post match...or read much of the thread...

i imagine he says the game hinged on two key moments...Eisa miss...Waterfall red card

And in someway it did...however ..I think the Eisa miss was
the only clear cut chance we created ? At home....in 90 mins...

Accrington were organised no doubt,  but we had the better of possession / area for first 45 mins but they still had the best two opportunities.

Second half...felt they were better without creating too much .....
Eisa chance on the break...Big miss....Waterfall hesitated....red card....

Whalley did what he does even as a "veteran" .....the second goal from the Pontoon looked awful again...didnt we win the ball back ?? Wasn't danger over ??

Summary....we were better than them for first half without causing them any real worries.......2nd half..we didn't step up....they did....
We made substitutes after the event..

We lost without much of a whimper ..

All too similar, all too frequent.

Really seems like we are not learning, changing or developing.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 85
GrimPol
October 14, 2023, 9:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from davmariner

Fair point. But are you saying, with deep belief that PH can change, hence change the team to play better?
Because if its yes, then on what do you base your belief on? And whilst we are at it, why hasn't he seen what we saw some games away?
It's not just today's match, it's the others and even when we win it's only just.
I would much prefer that PH changes his spots, and carries us through because its cheaper and less stressful for the team. However I fear it's to late.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 85
fishcake63
October 14, 2023, 9:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
Quoted from toontown

Thought we was well on top till sending off but after that we fell to bits

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 85
male private Nale
October 14, 2023, 9:59pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Approval: -919
Gold Stars: 136
Be careful what you wish for …. With these lefties in charge we sukk probs end up with some bird in charge
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 85
Hagrid
October 14, 2023, 10:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Be careful what you wish for …. With these lefties in charge we sukk probs end up with some bird in charge

You are a complete imbecile
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 85
mariner91
October 14, 2023, 10:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker

They’re such “lefties” that they’ve accrued more wealth than anyone on here can dream of. Proper Marxist that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 85
TAGG
October 14, 2023, 10:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,952
Gold Stars: 126

Oh ffs

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 85
diehardmariner
October 14, 2023, 10:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,632
Gold Stars: 539

The irony coming from Mr Sukk (sic) & Swallow.

Straight on the phone tonight to a Liverpool area phone. "No, honestly Master. It was better when you were there... *slurrrp"
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 85
jonnyboy82
October 14, 2023, 10:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
It's alright boys and girls nothing a lick of paint in the ponny on Monday can't solve.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 85
toontown
October 14, 2023, 10:48pm
Whiskey Drinker

They found you out the moment they took over the club didn't they Nick
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 85
October 14, 2023, 11:00pm
Guest User

You obviously don't have a clue, this post will win the award of The Stupidest Fishy Post ever.

Reply: 65 - 85
Theimperialcoroner
October 14, 2023, 11:02pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,209
Gold Stars: 102

Oh dear. Go and have a lie down.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 85
October 14, 2023, 11:03pm
Guest User
Quoted from davmariner

As far as I remember, most people were delighted with our recruitment once the window had closed.

Reply: 67 - 85
moosey_club
October 15, 2023, 1:37am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,268
Gold Stars: 226
Just watched the highlights.....not that it matters too much but what was Eastwood doing on that 2nd goal?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 85
bradzmilne
October 15, 2023, 6:12am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,429
Gold Stars: 30
Frustrated beyond belief.

I’m not sure what we’re trying to do & that makes it the most difficult.

Trademarks of PHs teams of the past is that they’d often make up from a slight lack of quality with effort & endeavour. The current crop look to lack quality and equally not run through walls for one another.

The mass exodus after the second goal suggest the end is nigh.

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 85
fishcake63
October 15, 2023, 7:13am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
The mass exodus is to be expected 2-0 down at home but i still believe we win that easily if eisa doesn't fluff his sitter from 3 yards out , fans have a right to boo & vent their anger but i still saw a team trying 100% for the manager in extremly windy conditions up until the sending off acc stanley had been reduced to very little eastwood not had one save to make , when we did need him i may be in the minority but think he could /should deal with both goals , i'm certainly not ready to jump on the manager out bandwagon just yet but even the most ardent & i include myself in this are getting a tad frustrated , stockport away could be testing to say the least but i will be there utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 85
Northbank Mariner
October 15, 2023, 7:44am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,487
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from fishcake63
The mass exodus is to be expected 2-0 down at home but i still believe we win that easily if eisa doesn't fluff his sitter from 3 yards out , fans have a right to boo & vent their anger but i still saw a team trying 100% for the manager in extremly windy conditions up until the sending off acc stanley had been reduced to very little eastwood not had one save to make , when we did need him i may be in the minority but think he could /should deal with both goals , i'm certainly not ready to jump on the manager out bandwagon just yet but even the most ardent & i include myself in this are getting a tad frustrated , stockport away could be testing to say the least but i will be there utm

I get your positivity towards Hurst and that's fine, but that frustration and booing wasn't just about yesterday's performance and result.
Its been brewing for ages, I'd say over the last 4-5 home games, even some of it spilling over from last seasons home displays.
The Barrow result masked how poor we've been. I know Hurst has turned poor runs around but we've normally had a buffer of points, this time around its started earlier on in the season and that's the worrying thing for me.
I'm not seeing the grit or determination and we have better quality than previous seasons, maybe that's the problem, maybe after 4 months these players are looking at Hurst and his tactics, coaching style and scratching their heads, wondering WTF he's telling them to do.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 85
buckstown
October 15, 2023, 9:04am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,181

Dear me, freedom of speech is a wonderful thing but every now and again there’s a good case for censorship. How much nonsense can one person pack into a badly constructed sentence?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 85
pen penfras
October 15, 2023, 9:26am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

I get your positivity towards Hurst and that's fine, but that frustration and booing wasn't just about yesterday's performance and result.
Its been brewing for ages, I'd say over the last 4-5 home games, even some of it spilling over from last seasons home displays.
The Barrow result masked how poor we've been. I know Hurst has turned poor runs around but we've normally had a buffer of points, this time around its started earlier on in the season and that's the worrying thing for me.
I'm not seeing the grit or determination and we have better quality than previous seasons, maybe that's the problem, maybe after 4 months these players are looking at Hurst and his tactics, coaching style and scratching their heads, wondering WTF he's telling them to do.

I think Hurst has gone away from his usual mantra by making signings with a bit more technical ability. The down side to that is that these players are not usually in the Paul Hurst mould of running through brick walls for 90 minutes. They are usually more along the lines of prima donnas than team players, and although I don't know that to be the case, they certainly aren't busting a gut for the team.

The problem we've got is that we've signed players with good stats, but nobody with genuine pace. And almost all good teams have lots of pace in the side. It's the most important asset of a player and I can't remember the last team we had genuine pace in the side. Maybe Reddy. So we now have a team of 'better' players that don't want to play the way that the man who brought them here wants.

My biggest concern is that we signed a load of players that were relegated last season. And I can't remember a time that has ever worked for us. They must come devoid of confidence and it suggests even the better ones are prone to lapses in concentration that prove costly. We should be signing young, hungry players on the way up, not players that are conditioned to failure.

I don't think we'll go down, but once you get dragged down to the bottom it's easy to get dragged into a relegation fight. I thought our recruitment was nowhere near as good as most thought, but I did think we'd be better than last season and we're just as bad without the luck.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 85
October 15, 2023, 9:30am
Guest User
Quoted from buckstown

Dear me, freedom of speech is a wonderful thing but every now and again there’s a good case for censorship. How much nonsense can one person pack into a badly constructed sentence?

He's either a 6 year old kid or just a total troll.

Reply: 74 - 85
GrimPol
October 15, 2023, 9:31am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from fishcake63
Thought we was well on top till sending off but after that we fell to bits

I think "well on top" is a bit of an exaggeration.  Even the Eisa miss was from a lucky ricochet and not from a smooth passage of play.  Stanley didn't beat us, we lost to them. They were crap, we just crappier. What chances did we create? Yes, I have to think hard too.
I have said it before, If Stanley offered us a draw before kickoff, I would have been offended. If they had offered the same at half-time I would have snapped their hand off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 85
DB
October 15, 2023, 11:02am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,025
Gold Stars: 386
Why did the sending off change the game? In the past the opposition have a man sent and win, we are told the team gelled together. We have a man sent off and lost.

It's the same every time this happens. I remember hearing that teams practise playing with 10 men, just in case this happens, so why don't Town? It's a bit like why don't they practise pens, 2 this season and failed to score.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 85
toontown
October 15, 2023, 11:08am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from DB
Why did the sending off change the game? In the past the opposition have a man sent and win, we are told the team gelled together. We have a man sent off and lost.

It's the same every time this happens. I remember hearing that teams practise playing with 10 men, just in case this happens, so why don't Town? It's a bit like why don't they practise pens, 2 this season and failed to score.

I would think we probably do practice playing with 10, doesn't mean we will do it well. No doubt we practice playing with 11 men and that's not going well either.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 85
LocalLadGTFC
October 15, 2023, 1:23pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

I think Hurst has gone away from his usual mantra by making signings with a bit more technical ability. The down side to that is that these players are not usually in the Paul Hurst mould of running through brick walls for 90 minutes. They are usually more along the lines of prima donnas than team players, and although I don't know that to be the case, they certainly aren't busting a gut for the team.

The problem we've got is that we've signed players with good stats, but nobody with genuine pace. And almost all good teams have lots of pace in the side. It's the most important asset of a player and I can't remember the last team we had genuine pace in the side. Maybe Reddy. So we now have a team of 'better' players that don't want to play the way that the man who brought them here wants.

My biggest concern is that we signed a load of players that were relegated last season. And I can't remember a time that has ever worked for us. They must come devoid of confidence and it suggests even the better ones are prone to lapses in concentration that prove costly. We should be signing young, hungry players on the way up, not players that are conditioned to failure.

I don't think we'll go down, but once you get dragged down to the bottom it's easy to get dragged into a relegation fight. I thought our recruitment was nowhere near as good as most thought, but I did think we'd be better than last season and we're just as bad without the luck.

I'd say Sousa was in that same bracket of pace, same with Joe Colbeck. Both were lightning quick. Colbeck wasn't unbelievable for us but I remember two games particuarly that he stood out. The two biggest games he played for us. Huddersfield in the 3rd round of the cup at home and Wrexham in the trophy final. He was our best player on both occasions. Sousa looked like he'd be a world beater early season and then faded but teams were still always worried about his pace. I take your point about his usual signings, but with how early we had our business done i'd imagine these were all his first choice signings. The only players that were relegated were Rodgers and Mullarkey and both come with glowing reviews from the teams they signed from... I don't think the players are the issue here. I think we've seen flashes of what they can do. Gillingham at home, Salford at home. We are now devoid of that press that worked so well in those games, we look lethargic when he have the ball and there's no real quality flowing through the team barring little glimpses such as the Amos ball of the top yesterday to Gnahoua where he beat his man and squared it to and Eisa probably should of scored. Conteh is like having 3 men in that midfield and we still don't have control of games. He's a level above every midfielder i've seen this year with how he takes the ball and uses it and yet we don't utilise it at all, half the time the ball is clipped over his head. It's sunday league stuff.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 78 - 85
arryarryarry
October 15, 2023, 1:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from fishcake63

100%? I would hate to see us playing less than 100%
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 85
chaos33
October 15, 2023, 2:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from 123614

He's either a 6 year old kid or just a total troll.

He’s Nick Dale, ex Fenty stooge who was dismissed after talking complete b0llocks - a tradition he’s carried on bitterly on here, sadly.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 85
mariner91
October 15, 2023, 2:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

He’s Nick Dale, ex Fenty stooge who was dismissed after talking complete b0llocks - a tradition he’s carried on bitterly on here, sadly.

If that’s actually true then there’s no wonder the club was in such a state if that’s the calibre of person working there. He’s barely able to construct a proper sentence.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 85
chaos33
October 15, 2023, 4:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Exactly. Year 1 literacy is a challenge for him, as is thinking, reasoning, holding implements using thumbs etc. a bit like Humbercod - stupid racist, and Denni - miserable, boring, illiterate old fart.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 85
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
October 15, 2023, 4:37pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from chaos33

Surely that poster can’t actually be Nick Dale?

It would be like Rose West posting on Mums Net using the pseudonym Wrose Rest.

I know Nick Dale’s a bit dim but…
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 85
Hagrid
October 15, 2023, 4:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Nick Dale the grass? Get him outta here Rob
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 85
chaos33
October 15, 2023, 4:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Yeah, you’d think. Calling yourself ‘D*ck Nale’ on here isn’t very bright is it, but there you go….

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 85
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back after 70 minutes

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.