9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Yarborough Vaults
October 14, 2023, 6:38pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +214
Gold Stars: 32
Hold your nerve people, just a rough patch that's all. Notice those who want Hurst out haven't made a single suggestion of who could replace him.

See where we are at Christmas. If we're bottom two then, a decision should be made. But not before in my opinion
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 85
It Bites
October 14, 2023, 6:40pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,216
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Yarborough Vaults
Hold your nerve people, just a rough patch that's all. Notice those who want Hurst out haven't made a single suggestion of who could replace him.

See where we are at Christmas. If we're bottom two then, a decision should be made. But not before in my opinion

The players have stopped. It’s very visible to see . Christmas will be too late imo
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 85
denni266
October 14, 2023, 6:42pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132

Same old reply`s  Who do we want to replace him with.. bloody ronald mcdonald would do right now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 85
LocalLadGTFC
October 14, 2023, 6:46pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,228
Gold Stars: 137

Mike Williamson, Kevin Maher, Andy Whing, Phil Parkinson ( Altrincham ) - just 4 options for you. Plenty of managers out of work also and they'll be plenty of managers apply to work with a squad with ours. These aren't bad players, we've seen flashes of brilliance, it's being coached out of them and he's making terrible choices. We can all see that Waterfall is past league football based on performances this season, Maher and Rodgers looked like the next coming of Whittle and Futcher early season. Maher is fully fit and left out? I ain't his biggest fan but Pyke has scored two in two and was dropped for Gnahoua... Holohan has been arguably our best midfielder and is left out for Clifton who's been terrible. Eisa has been invisible since missing that pen. There's 0 patterns of play other than a useless clip into Rose and hope he wins a flick on or we win the second ball. It's terrible football.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 85
LocalLadGTFC
October 14, 2023, 6:48pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,228
Gold Stars: 137
We've seen most the sides above us, barring probably Mansfield none of them made me stand back and think wow.... we have a good squad that I personally think should be aiming for the playoffs.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 24 - 85
Wiley2405
October 14, 2023, 6:49pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +663
Gold Stars: 20
If I were stockwood id already be on the phone to the Gateshead manager
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 85
headingly_mariner
October 14, 2023, 6:52pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,379
Gold Stars: 119
That was flipping shite. We've had some good performances this season and not got the result. That was not one.

I'd like to see him given time to turn it round because I fully believe he will. I don't think he will get much time though.

Holohan should've been in for Andrews from the start and I think he's got to go back to wingbacks. Maher is one of our best players and Glennon is great at wingback.

The sending off was the big moment but it was excrement before that. We found a way to lose that game.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 85
Maringer
October 14, 2023, 6:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,553
Gold Stars: 185
I think Hurst's loyalty to the players went a bit too far in his anodyne post-match interview in which he didn't sound convinced of his own excuses. No doubt teams do go through rocky patches, and we certainly are at the moment, but it's not just bad luck. He doesn't like to criticise the players, but there was a lot in that performance to criticise. Sloppy, slow passing throughout the team, a failure to be aware of what was going on around them, individual error upon individual error.

The key point in the game was Eisa's ludicrous miss from just a few yards out. I think I'm correct in remembering that it cleared the stand? The goal was so open, he could have let it hit him and still scored. Just a reflection of his form over the past few games.

This was followed up by the bizarre misjudgement by Waterfall leading to the red card and then, typically their player stuck an effort into the top corner in one of the game's few pieces of quality. The second goal was ludicrous as well. A good recovery tackle from Maher then nobody bothered to clear the loose ball leading to the cross and header.

Ultimately, other than the failure to sign enough forwards or many players with much in the way of pace, the problem on the coaching side is the formation we're trying to play. We're playing with a single forward but still somehow finding ourselves outnumbered in midfield most games and, truthfully, I can't see what we're trying to do with it. There is lip service to increased possession, but the passing through midfield is non-existent at times, we don't create enough overlaps (and none of the full-backs we have is great going forward), nobody is getting up to support Rose and we fail to retain possession as often as not when the opposition hacks a clearance upfield. A distinct lack of guile on show in the middle of the park as you might expect with Clifton in there alongside inexperienced youngsters in Conteh and Andrews. Holohan on the bench is experienced but guile isn't in his repertoire.

If we're going to try and play a possession-based game, we should have signed the players to do so, but we haven't. I think we're going to need to move to a style of play and formation which suits the players better, whatever that may be, but there needs to be a change.

I never advocate a change in manager at this stage of the season, but we need to start grinding out some results, if nothing else. Hurst and Co need to rethink their plans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 85
ska face
October 14, 2023, 6:58pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC
I don't know where people are getting that they don't have the ruthless streak in them to sack a manager? The amount of staff turned over behind the scenes clearly shows they're willing to move people on.

Because to me they’ve spent far too much time talking about how aligned they and Hurst are on values - I’m sure most managers would prefer a boss that is supportive and not liable to sack them after 6 games, don’t think Hurst is particularly extraordinary in that respect.

I also think that spell we had in the Conference, where they didn’t sack him, has made a rod for their backs - or they reluctant to try and remove that rod. The context is completely different, sacking Hurst halfway through a season, mid table in the conference looking at a huge loss for the year, destabilising us further. Any new manager would’ve been, in winter 21, the 6th in three years and inheriting a fairly bog standard conference team with the exception of Mcatee.

Context is everything, and we are now a League 2 club with good gates, a decent budget and a squad with some players more than good enough for the level (Maher, Conteh, Rodgers, Eisa), but going backwards quickly. I hope they don’t succumb to the odd attitude prevalent on here that nobody would ever want to come - smacks of a small time, small town view, lacking in ambition.

When we’ve had players who’ve done well for us but been unable to deliver at the next level, they’ve gone with our gratitude and best wishes - look at the likes of Taylor, Cropper, Pearson, Coke, etc. No reason why we shouldn’t take the same view with managers.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 85
MuddyWaters
October 14, 2023, 7:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,258
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Maringer
I think Hurst's loyalty to the players went a bit too far in his anodyne post-match interview in which he didn't sound convinced of his own excuses. No doubt teams do go through rocky patches, and we certainly are at the moment, but it's not just bad luck. He doesn't like to criticise the players, but there was a lot in that performance to criticise. Sloppy, slow passing throughout the team, a failure to be aware of what was going on around them, individual error upon individual error.

The key point in the game was Eisa's ludicrous miss from just a few yards out. I think I'm correct in remembering that it cleared the stand? The goal was so open, he could have let it hit him and still scored. Just a reflection of his form over the past few games.

This was followed up by the bizarre misjudgement by Waterfall leading to the red card and then, typically their player stuck an effort into the top corner in one of the game's few pieces of quality. The second goal was ludicrous as well. A good recovery tackle from Maher then nobody bothered to clear the loose ball leading to the cross and header.

Ultimately, other than the failure to sign enough forwards or many players with much in the way of pace, the problem on the coaching side is the formation we're trying to play. We're playing with a single forward but still somehow finding ourselves outnumbered in midfield most games and, truthfully, I can't see what we're trying to do with it. There is lip service to increased possession, but the passing through midfield is non-existent at times, we don't create enough overlaps (and none of the full-backs we have is great going forward), nobody is getting up to support Rose and we fail to retain possession as often as not when the opposition hacks a clearance upfield. A distinct lack of guile on show in the middle of the park as you might expect with Clifton in there alongside inexperienced youngsters in Conteh and Andrews. Holohan on the bench is experienced but guile isn't in his repertoire.

If we're going to try and play a possession-based game, we should have signed the players to do so, but we haven't. I think we're going to need to move to a style of play and formation which suits the players better, whatever that may be, but there needs to be a change.

I never advocate a change in manager at this stage of the season, but we need to start grinding out some results, if nothing else. Hurst and Co need to rethink their plans.

I advocate a change right now. The players’ body language speaks volumes. They are a pretty talented bunch and the manager doesn’t seem to know what to do with them.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 85
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back after 70 minutes

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.