9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
fishcake63
October 15, 2023, 7:13am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
The mass exodus is to be expected 2-0 down at home but i still believe we win that easily if eisa doesn't fluff his sitter from 3 yards out , fans have a right to boo & vent their anger but i still saw a team trying 100% for the manager in extremly windy conditions up until the sending off acc stanley had been reduced to very little eastwood not had one save to make , when we did need him i may be in the minority but think he could /should deal with both goals , i'm certainly not ready to jump on the manager out bandwagon just yet but even the most ardent & i include myself in this are getting a tad frustrated , stockport away could be testing to say the least but i will be there utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 85
Northbank Mariner
October 15, 2023, 7:44am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,472
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from fishcake63
The mass exodus is to be expected 2-0 down at home but i still believe we win that easily if eisa doesn't fluff his sitter from 3 yards out , fans have a right to boo & vent their anger but i still saw a team trying 100% for the manager in extremly windy conditions up until the sending off acc stanley had been reduced to very little eastwood not had one save to make , when we did need him i may be in the minority but think he could /should deal with both goals , i'm certainly not ready to jump on the manager out bandwagon just yet but even the most ardent & i include myself in this are getting a tad frustrated , stockport away could be testing to say the least but i will be there utm

I get your positivity towards Hurst and that's fine, but that frustration and booing wasn't just about yesterday's performance and result.
Its been brewing for ages, I'd say over the last 4-5 home games, even some of it spilling over from last seasons home displays.
The Barrow result masked how poor we've been. I know Hurst has turned poor runs around but we've normally had a buffer of points, this time around its started earlier on in the season and that's the worrying thing for me.
I'm not seeing the grit or determination and we have better quality than previous seasons, maybe that's the problem, maybe after 4 months these players are looking at Hurst and his tactics, coaching style and scratching their heads, wondering WTF he's telling them to do.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 85
buckstown
October 15, 2023, 9:04am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,179
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from male private Nale
Be careful what you wish for …. With these lefties in charge we sukk probs end up with some bird in charge

Dear me, freedom of speech is a wonderful thing but every now and again there’s a good case for censorship. How much nonsense can one person pack into a badly constructed sentence?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 85
pen penfras
October 15, 2023, 9:26am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

I get your positivity towards Hurst and that's fine, but that frustration and booing wasn't just about yesterday's performance and result.
Its been brewing for ages, I'd say over the last 4-5 home games, even some of it spilling over from last seasons home displays.
The Barrow result masked how poor we've been. I know Hurst has turned poor runs around but we've normally had a buffer of points, this time around its started earlier on in the season and that's the worrying thing for me.
I'm not seeing the grit or determination and we have better quality than previous seasons, maybe that's the problem, maybe after 4 months these players are looking at Hurst and his tactics, coaching style and scratching their heads, wondering WTF he's telling them to do.

I think Hurst has gone away from his usual mantra by making signings with a bit more technical ability. The down side to that is that these players are not usually in the Paul Hurst mould of running through brick walls for 90 minutes. They are usually more along the lines of prima donnas than team players, and although I don't know that to be the case, they certainly aren't busting a gut for the team.

The problem we've got is that we've signed players with good stats, but nobody with genuine pace. And almost all good teams have lots of pace in the side. It's the most important asset of a player and I can't remember the last team we had genuine pace in the side. Maybe Reddy. So we now have a team of 'better' players that don't want to play the way that the man who brought them here wants.

My biggest concern is that we signed a load of players that were relegated last season. And I can't remember a time that has ever worked for us. They must come devoid of confidence and it suggests even the better ones are prone to lapses in concentration that prove costly. We should be signing young, hungry players on the way up, not players that are conditioned to failure.

I don't think we'll go down, but once you get dragged down to the bottom it's easy to get dragged into a relegation fight. I thought our recruitment was nowhere near as good as most thought, but I did think we'd be better than last season and we're just as bad without the luck.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 85
October 15, 2023, 9:30am
Guest User
Quoted from buckstown

Dear me, freedom of speech is a wonderful thing but every now and again there’s a good case for censorship. How much nonsense can one person pack into a badly constructed sentence?

He's either a 6 year old kid or just a total troll.

Reply: 74 - 85
GrimPol
October 15, 2023, 9:31am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from fishcake63
Thought we was well on top till sending off but after that we fell to bits

I think "well on top" is a bit of an exaggeration.  Even the Eisa miss was from a lucky ricochet and not from a smooth passage of play.  Stanley didn't beat us, we lost to them. They were crap, we just crappier. What chances did we create? Yes, I have to think hard too.
I have said it before, If Stanley offered us a draw before kickoff, I would have been offended. If they had offered the same at half-time I would have snapped their hand off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 85
DB
October 15, 2023, 11:02am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
Why did the sending off change the game? In the past the opposition have a man sent and win, we are told the team gelled together. We have a man sent off and lost.

It's the same every time this happens. I remember hearing that teams practise playing with 10 men, just in case this happens, so why don't Town? It's a bit like why don't they practise pens, 2 this season and failed to score.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 85
toontown
October 15, 2023, 11:08am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from DB
Why did the sending off change the game? In the past the opposition have a man sent and win, we are told the team gelled together. We have a man sent off and lost.

It's the same every time this happens. I remember hearing that teams practise playing with 10 men, just in case this happens, so why don't Town? It's a bit like why don't they practise pens, 2 this season and failed to score.

I would think we probably do practice playing with 10, doesn't mean we will do it well. No doubt we practice playing with 11 men and that's not going well either.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 85
LocalLadGTFC
October 15, 2023, 1:23pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,222
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from pen penfras

I think Hurst has gone away from his usual mantra by making signings with a bit more technical ability. The down side to that is that these players are not usually in the Paul Hurst mould of running through brick walls for 90 minutes. They are usually more along the lines of prima donnas than team players, and although I don't know that to be the case, they certainly aren't busting a gut for the team.

The problem we've got is that we've signed players with good stats, but nobody with genuine pace. And almost all good teams have lots of pace in the side. It's the most important asset of a player and I can't remember the last team we had genuine pace in the side. Maybe Reddy. So we now have a team of 'better' players that don't want to play the way that the man who brought them here wants.

My biggest concern is that we signed a load of players that were relegated last season. And I can't remember a time that has ever worked for us. They must come devoid of confidence and it suggests even the better ones are prone to lapses in concentration that prove costly. We should be signing young, hungry players on the way up, not players that are conditioned to failure.

I don't think we'll go down, but once you get dragged down to the bottom it's easy to get dragged into a relegation fight. I thought our recruitment was nowhere near as good as most thought, but I did think we'd be better than last season and we're just as bad without the luck.

I'd say Sousa was in that same bracket of pace, same with Joe Colbeck. Both were lightning quick. Colbeck wasn't unbelievable for us but I remember two games particuarly that he stood out. The two biggest games he played for us. Huddersfield in the 3rd round of the cup at home and Wrexham in the trophy final. He was our best player on both occasions. Sousa looked like he'd be a world beater early season and then faded but teams were still always worried about his pace. I take your point about his usual signings, but with how early we had our business done i'd imagine these were all his first choice signings. The only players that were relegated were Rodgers and Mullarkey and both come with glowing reviews from the teams they signed from... I don't think the players are the issue here. I think we've seen flashes of what they can do. Gillingham at home, Salford at home. We are now devoid of that press that worked so well in those games, we look lethargic when he have the ball and there's no real quality flowing through the team barring little glimpses such as the Amos ball of the top yesterday to Gnahoua where he beat his man and squared it to and Eisa probably should of scored. Conteh is like having 3 men in that midfield and we still don't have control of games. He's a level above every midfielder i've seen this year with how he takes the ball and uses it and yet we don't utilise it at all, half the time the ball is clipped over his head. It's sunday league stuff.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 78 - 85
arryarryarry
October 15, 2023, 1:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from fishcake63

100%? I would hate to see us playing less than 100%
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 85
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back after 70 minutes

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.