17 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 All Recommend Thread
arryarryarry
October 8, 2023, 3:02am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 116

You suggest this as if it says something about me. It says more about The Fishy. Some great people here, but it is a wee bit reactionary. We go from the worst team in the world, to the best based on any one performance. I used to lurk here during the conference season, and during that run, I cannot remember anyone here wanting to keep with Hurst. I steered clear. I remembered how he'd got something out of the abysmal squad from the season before, and got some good players who could play. Form wasn't great, but every team goes through bad runs. At that time, I thought it was insane people wanted rid of a manager who had got us out of the conference, turned the team around from the year before and made us competitively and had previously kept Shrewsbury in the play-offs. IMO, he had all the attributes of a manager that can bring success. He can find good players, turn faltering players around, get a team competing. Get them defending better. He can bring improve younger players etc. My view on him hasn't changed, and I think he's probably a victim of his own early success (getting us straight back up, and having a great start last year in league 2). I don't forget the absolute shite we've had as we've plummeted down the leagues and eventually fell out of it. I don't forget the absolute dross we've had management wise, consistently for 2 decades. When I see we've probably had our best manager in 2 decades, and fans are trying to push it out the door, it's insane. Unless you're rich, the best way to succeed, is to pick a manager who has good attributes, support them and give them time to fix the issues within the team. The team has been an improvement year on year, and that is the only way we're getting out of league 2. Unless there is some Hollywood actors who want to invest in Lincolnshire's finest.

Does Hurst always get it right? No. Can he see the issues, and communicate that? Yes. Does he work on it and try to address it? Yes. When players aren't performing, he will talk to them, and often take them out of it so they can work on it, while a squad member gets a shot. I'm pretty confident we are going to get some form together coming up, and Wilson's fitness will play a part in it, but even then, Pyke is starting to find a bit of confidence now. That finish was a belter. (I'll get a few downvotes for saying something positive about Pyke. I previously said he could come good, but would need time, and I'm hoping today is the start of that.)

I'm not ridiculing those with valid criticisms. I picking up on those that only have criticisms. Game after game, only looking for reasons to be negative. That isn't supporting a team. If they want perfection, Man City is on the TV.

For frigs sake, it's a football forum. no different than any other teams forum. There are a number on the Tranmere forum today slagging off some players and the manager and saying they played crap.

Private Message
Reply: 160 - 162
Mappers
October 8, 2023, 5:51am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,333
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Maringer

The beat Bradford the other day, which got Hughes the bullet. Can't be that terrible.

I wouldn't underestimate the effect of Madkins doing something to improve them. He talks a lot, but has a good record.

Yesterday we looked far better than them though I thought , that's the issue for me  - we look far better than a lot of teams but seem to draw or lose when we do .
Who's looked better than us - Mansfield , Notts , Barrow and Wrexham ; all the rest we could or should have won really .

I liked that we went back to Hurst's tried and trusted formation yesterday , maybe we can have a run with that now ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 162
denni266
October 8, 2023, 6:08am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
Funnily enough, it does it not surprise me that MuddyWaters and Mappers responded to me....

I must have agitated a few of the frequent doom mongers . Obviously not on denni's level, but not far off.

We are not doom mongers  , Just see things as they are . Looking through many posts and the majority of fans are moaning and not happy, not just a few.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 162
17 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Match Thread Tranmere

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.