denni266
October 7, 2023, 7:00pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
Quoted from ancientmariner54

There's a whole world beyond the end of your nose, if only you could see it.

Not much to look at below us is there.. But dont let that worry you
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 162
AncientExiledMariner
October 7, 2023, 8:22pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.51
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
We lost Wilson early and Hurst stuck with 2 strikers. Pyke scored. Aggressive.

Those that pushed for us to go two strikers, Hurst did when he had Wilson and Rose fit. They'll bash him for something he cannot control as if other managers can make Wilson play on 1 leg and score.

Fans said we got more of a foot in with 5 in mid today eventually. Despite many bashing him for favouring 5 usually. Hurst cannot win with some. There is no winning. They just don't like Hurst. They want to Chelsea or Watford this and spend money on manager compensation, rather than player budget. Ironically, they say fans that want to stick are lacking in ambition.

Hopefully Wilson is OK, and we have a bit of depth in midfield and attack going forward for a less horrific run of games. 4 points in 2 games. I'll take that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 162
Tommy
October 7, 2023, 8:57pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
We lost Wilson early and Hurst stuck with 2 strikers. Pyke scored. Aggressive.

Those that pushed for us to go two strikers, Hurst did when he had Wilson and Rose fit. They'll bash him for something he cannot control as if other managers can make Wilson play on 1 leg and score.

Fans said we got more of a foot in with 5 in mid today eventually. Despite many bashing him for favouring 5 usually. Hurst cannot win with some. There is no winning. They just don't like Hurst. They want to Chelsea or Watford this and spend money on manager compensation, rather than player budget. Ironically, they say fans that want to stick are lacking in ambition.

Hopefully Wilson is OK, and we have a bit of depth in midfield and attack going forward for a less horrific run of games. 4 points in 2 games. I'll take that.

I don't think it's as straightforward as you suggest. I get that there are some that have no basis to some of their criticisms, but for most objective people who are willing to criticise PH for certain things, they perhaps want to see him doing the right things at the right time.

You seem like the most pro-PH poster this forum has ever seen, but in my opinion the ridiculing of those who do offer some criticisms of the management team is a bit unnecessary and can be just as harmful (in terms of not being objective/balanced) as those who do just blindly criticise.

I'm not a "Hurst-out" type, nor do I think the sun shines out of his bottom, but some posters raise valid points of critique and in wanting more.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 162
AncientExiledMariner
October 7, 2023, 10:05pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from Tommy

I don't think it's as straightforward as you suggest. I get that there are some that have no basis to some of their criticisms, but for most objective people who are willing to criticise PH for certain things, they perhaps want to see him doing the right things at the right time.

You seem like the most pro-PH poster this forum has ever seen, but in my opinion the ridiculing of those who do offer some criticisms of the management team is a bit unnecessary and can be just as harmful (in terms of not being objective/balanced) as those who do just blindly criticise.

I'm not a "Hurst-out" type, nor do I think the sun shines out of his bottom, but some posters raise valid points of critique and in wanting more.

You suggest this as if it says something about me. It says more about The Fishy. Some great people here, but it is a wee bit reactionary. We go from the worst team in the world, to the best based on any one performance. I used to lurk here during the conference season, and during that run, I cannot remember anyone here wanting to keep with Hurst. I steered clear. I remembered how he'd got something out of the abysmal squad from the season before, and got some good players who could play. Form wasn't great, but every team goes through bad runs. At that time, I thought it was insane people wanted rid of a manager who had got us out of the conference, turned the team around from the year before and made us competitively and had previously kept Shrewsbury in the play-offs. IMO, he had all the attributes of a manager that can bring success. He can find good players, turn faltering players around, get a team competing. Get them defending better. He can bring improve younger players etc. My view on him hasn't changed, and I think he's probably a victim of his own early success (getting us straight back up, and having a great start last year in league 2). I don't forget the absolute shite we've had as we've plummeted down the leagues and eventually fell out of it. I don't forget the absolute dross we've had management wise, consistently for 2 decades. When I see we've probably had our best manager in 2 decades, and fans are trying to push it out the door, it's insane. Unless you're rich, the best way to succeed, is to pick a manager who has good attributes, support them and give them time to fix the issues within the team. The team has been an improvement year on year, and that is the only way we're getting out of league 2. Unless there is some Hollywood actors who want to invest in Lincolnshire's finest.

Does Hurst always get it right? No. Can he see the issues, and communicate that? Yes. Does he work on it and try to address it? Yes. When players aren't performing, he will talk to them, and often take them out of it so they can work on it, while a squad member gets a shot. I'm pretty confident we are going to get some form together coming up, and Wilson's fitness will play a part in it, but even then, Pyke is starting to find a bit of confidence now. That finish was a belter. (I'll get a few downvotes for saying something positive about Pyke. I previously said he could come good, but would need time, and I'm hoping today is the start of that.)

I'm not ridiculing those with valid criticisms. I picking up on those that only have criticisms. Game after game, only looking for reasons to be negative. That isn't supporting a team. If they want perfection, Man City is on the TV.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 162
MuddyWaters
October 7, 2023, 10:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,257
Gold Stars: 236

You suggest this as if it says something about me. It says more about The Fishy. Some great people here, but it is a wee bit reactionary. We go from the worst team in the world, to the best based on any one performance. I used to lurk here during the conference season, and during that run, I cannot remember anyone here wanting to keep with Hurst. I steered clear. I remembered how he'd got something out of the abysmal squad from the season before, and got some good players who could play. Form wasn't great, but every team goes through bad runs. At that time, I thought it was insane people wanted rid of a manager who had got us out of the conference, turned the team around from the year before and made us competitively and had previously kept Shrewsbury in the play-offs. IMO, he had all the attributes of a manager that can bring success. He can find good players, turn faltering players around, get a team competing. Get them defending better. He can bring improve younger players etc. My view on him hasn't changed, and I think he's probably a victim of his own early success (getting us straight back up, and having a great start last year in league 2). I don't forget the absolute shite we've had as we've plummeted down the leagues and eventually fell out of it. I don't forget the absolute dross we've had management wise, consistently for 2 decades. When I see we've probably had our best manager in 2 decades, and fans are trying to push it out the door, it's insane. Unless you're rich, the best way to succeed, is to pick a manager who has good attributes, support them and give them time to fix the issues within the team. The team has been an improvement year on year, and that is the only way we're getting out of league 2. Unless there is some Hollywood actors who want to invest in Lincolnshire's finest.

Does Hurst always get it right? No. Can he see the issues, and communicate that? Yes. Does he work on it and try to address it? Yes. When players aren't performing, he will talk to them, and often take them out of it so they can work on it, while a squad member gets a shot. I'm pretty confident we are going to get some form together coming up, and Wilson's fitness will play a part in it, but even then, Pyke is starting to find a bit of confidence now. That finish was a belter. (I'll get a few downvotes for saying something positive about Pyke. I previously said he could come good, but would need time, and I'm hoping today is the start of that.)

I'm not ridiculing those with valid criticisms. I picking up on those that only have criticisms. Game after game, only looking for reasons to be negative. That isn't supporting a team. If they want perfection, Man City is on the TV.

Don’t worry. A few more posts of eulogistic optimism from your keyboard and we will be convinced that Paul Hurst is the second coming of the Messiah!

Back in the real world, it’s not quite as easy as ‘seeing some good form coming up’. We’re a mid table team with a mid table setup, largely inconsistent playing pretty dull and uninspiring football.

In reality, that’s where we are. Not bad but not good enough.
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 162
Mappers
October 7, 2023, 10:38pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,333
Gold Stars: 118
The problem is Ancient you are over enthusiastic with Hirst (yes his paintings are good ) .

But Hurst as a manager is not great , but a good manager lower down .

I like him as a manager , but feel to move forward substantially in the next few years we need a change , yes he will keep us in league 2 and we might touch 7th once if he gets the team performing at some point .

It's not reactionary , just an outlook based on a 10 year spell - I just think Hurst's tenure has run it's course - I have stated many times I think he's a good , solid lower league manager who has done well at Town in the main . Pettit & Stockwood have not even made an appointment yet , but I think some's unwillingness for change is down to our former leaders long list of disastrous appointments barring Hurst .

This over confidence that you have in him , for me is wearing thin - yes I know he raised a million quid which meant Pettit & Stockwood didn't need to prop up as much of a shortfall.

But we need to beating Tranmere away , they are awful .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 162
AncientExiledMariner
October 7, 2023, 10:45pm
Snakebite drinker
Funnily enough, it does it not surprise me that MuddyWaters and Mappers responded to me....

I must have agitated a few of the frequent doom mongers . Obviously not on denni's level, but not far off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 162
Maringer
October 7, 2023, 10:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,551
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from Mappers

But we need to beating Tranmere away , they are awful .

The beat Bradford the other day, which got Hughes the bullet. Can't be that terrible.

I wouldn't underestimate the effect of Madkins doing something to improve them. He talks a lot, but has a good record.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 162
ginnywings
October 7, 2023, 10:49pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,145
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Don’t worry. A few more posts of eulogistic optimism from your keyboard and we will be convinced that Paul Hurst is the second coming of the Messiah!

Back in the real world, it’s not quite as easy as ‘seeing some good form coming up’. We’re a mid table team with a mid table setup, largely inconsistent playing pretty dull and uninspiring football.

In reality, that’s where we are. Not bad but not good enough.

You were much more fun as Old Codger.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 162
Mappers
October 7, 2023, 11:42pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,333
Gold Stars: 118
Funnily enough, it does it not surprise me that MuddyWaters and Mappers responded to me....

I must have agitated a few of the frequent doom mongers . Obviously not on denni's level, but not far off.

Christ mate I have watched a  team that was 'punching above it's weight ' for 5 years even in the back end of the 90's and early 2000's  then gradually declined into the oblivion of division 4 & 5 .With you seemingly telling us to keep 'us shape'

I'm not a  'doom monger' at all , my opinion has just changed somewhat after 10 years of seeing the same thing , I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for back to back wins against 2nd bottom after tucking up a decent team the game before , which we were lucky to win , very lucky . .

It's a forum ,we are all entitled to our opinion - mine is we are still not going anywhere fast and will have a mish mash season and finish anywhere from 10th to 16th - I would be very suprised if i'm wrong on that front .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 162
17 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Match Thread Tranmere

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.