8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
thefish
August 29, 2023, 9:29am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,267
Gold Stars: 67
For those of you who cannot have enough Grimsby Town discussion in your lives, we have launched a new, weekly podcast- 'View From The Findus'. Please find the inaugural episode ‘Flattering to Deceive’ here:

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/view-from-the-findus/id1695802344?i=1000626016197

(or on Spotify)

We appreciate that there is already a fabulous podcast up and running in DN35 (their next installment is out on Friday). I am a long-time listener and shall continue to do so. However, we believe that the more people discussing the Mariners the better!

So, grab your fish and chips, put your feet up and enjoy a 'View From The Findus'.

Constructive critism/ ideas welcome!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Blundellite
August 29, 2023, 9:55am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +71
Gold Stars: 18
Good luck with the new venture
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 77
Heisenberg
August 29, 2023, 10:40am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,074
Gold Stars: 93
I’ll give it a listen, but please tell me you’ve not used DN35 as any sort of template for success? I find the DN35 podcast the exact opposite of “fabulous”, I think it’s utter drivel. I don’t know if any of the regular posters on here is a presenter on DN35, but I just find it a waste of time.

I have my fingers crossed for you!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 77
58mariner
August 29, 2023, 11:04am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: -80
Quoted from Heisenberg
I’ll give it a listen, but please tell me you’ve not used DN35 as any sort of template for success? I find the DN35 podcast the exact opposite of “fabulous”, I think it’s utter drivel. I don’t know if any of the regular posters on here is a presenter on DN35, but I just find it a waste of time.

I have my fingers crossed for you!

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion and this sort of thing by its very nature is subjective but safe to say i think we have some different ideas and plans that will give this podcast a different feel and sound. First episode is always a leap of faith but we are really proud of it and know it will only get better as we get more confidence. Follow the podcast on twitter for more updates here @VFTFindus

Private Message
Reply: 3 - 77
LH
August 29, 2023, 11:22am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,535
Gold Stars: 173
We need a podcast that is more representative of the fanbase. Possible subjects include: the total capacity of BP (this could be covered every week), rating the looks of new signings out of ten and overreacting to every result.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 77
HerveJosse
August 29, 2023, 11:44am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Agree DN35 is boring , to long ,sounds like it’s been put together 5 minutes before kick off and rarely addresses issues. Would also be better if the people who presented it actually went to games. So all for a new one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 77
chelseacity
August 29, 2023, 12:03pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +364
Gold Stars: 9
Just a note, found it really easy on Spotify, but it says American Football, you need to get that changes ASAP. LOL
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 77
Yoda
August 29, 2023, 12:09pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,141
Gold Stars: 71
Agree DN35 is very hap hazard and feels put together with little preparation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 77
aldi_01
August 29, 2023, 12:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
flipping hell, ya can’t win.

People use their time and talk about the club, they get some decent guests and the people doing it all work full time. It’s a hobby that they share, nobody makes anyone listen.

Same with this, fair play, anyone who can put their effort into things like this deserves a chance and a pat on the back.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 77
TownSNAFU5
August 29, 2023, 12:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
Listened to the start when out and about.  Will listen to the remainder when home.

Some great memories and stories of Town players.

I wish you success in your new venture.

Some pedants may mention  that “inslallments” only has one “l”.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 77
Heisenberg
August 29, 2023, 1:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

People use their time and talk about the club, they get some decent guests and the people doing it all work full time. It’s a hobby that they share, nobody makes anyone listen.

Same with this, fair play, anyone who can put their effort into things like this deserves a chance and a pat on the back.

I do get that, Aldi, but the people involved do seem to indulge in inane chit chat for far too long, therefore I’ve chosen not to listen to it again for that reason.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 77
Mikey_345
August 29, 2023, 1:28pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,383
Gold Stars: 106
Well, we aren’t experts at it at DN35 but have never pretended to be. We’re a group of mates that get together and discuss the club/games etc and hope it interests some but it won’t be for everyone, that’s fine and we wouldn’t expect any different.

One or two do seem to enjoy it and we’re really grateful to those that listen to the live show or via listen again, but appreciate the feedback by some on this thread.

As for VFTF all the best guys with the start up, will definitely be listening and wish you every success!

All Town Aren’t We….

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 77
diehardmariner
August 29, 2023, 1:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,634
Gold Stars: 539
There's two schools of thought on it isn't there?

One, if you put it out there then you're there to be shot at.

Two, it's easy to take a pop shot at people who are doing it for free and aren't professionals.

Personally I think a blend of the two is always useful but more with a steer towards helpful feedback than criticism.  I used to really enjoy the DN35 podcast and I think it's easy to forget how good it was during the lockdowns.  Some excellent interviews and also pleasing to see/hear a united voice put together against what was going on, be it the farce of Holloway's reign, Fenty trying to get a fraudster on board, the failed rallying of the Hurst fightback...could go on really!  But we didn't have that option to see each other at games and moan about this stuff, the podcast was a way of seeing our anger voiced in a vicarious manner.

Again, the guys were doing that off their own back. I was very grateful for having that outlet and also a distraction from what was going on around us away from football.

Since then with things settling down more both in the actual world and the GTFC world, it feels there's less need for the frequency of the show.  Is there enough content for a weekly show?  I'm not sure.  It sure as hell isn't a dig but if it's a weekly show to capture the matches, yet the hosts aren't going it does make it a difficult listen at times.  Review of the games was never really the appeal of the show in the first place for me.  As with any football podcast, I listen for the opinions rather than the facts.

I get the inane chit-chat comments, even if I think they're a bit harsh, but that's going to happen on any platform like this.  You listen to any podcast, radio show, even watch a TV show and you'll see those relationships emerge and a lot of the content feels a bit, dare I say, cliquey.  Maybe that comes down from a lack of content and a need to stretch stuff out, I don't know.

LH is probably on the right path when he talks about the subjects.  Largely there's intercourse all to talk about as Town fans, especially at the minute, hence why so many subjects come up time and time again.  We're not moving grounds, we won't be sacking our manager every five minutes, we're not aware of the new training ground location, any redevelopment of BP is on the back burner for now, we did all of our summer business early doors and the football hasn't been great so far.  I'm not sure what I expect the hosts to talk about.  

I'll give the new one a listen and fair play to anyone for trying it.  I don't think you can ever have enough voices, showcases or light shone on the football club.  Even if each podcast helps move that engagement dial by just a nudge, it's a nudge we wouldn't have had otherwise.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 77
Chrisblor
August 29, 2023, 1:31pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,870
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from aldi_01

I think it's entirely possible to simultaneously appreciate that fans use their spare time to put together a podcast while not actually enjoying the end product. The guy running DN35 is very thin skinned and recently went off on one on twitter over some mild criticism they received from a single Cod Almighty writer about the podcast being too full of in-jokes. I feel similarly and only really listen to it when they get a guest on i'm interested in hearing from, cos I don't really find their discussions all that enlightening or entertaining (even if I do respect that they take the time to produce and record the thing in the first place).

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 77
Mappers
August 29, 2023, 2:10pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,341
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from Mikey_345
Well, we aren’t experts at it at DN35 but have never pretended to be. We’re a group of mates that get together and discuss the club/games etc and hope it interests some but it won’t be for everyone, that’s fine and we wouldn’t expect any different.

One or two do seem to enjoy it and we’re really grateful to those that listen to the live show or via listen again, but appreciate the feedback by some on this thread.

As for VFTF all the best guys with the start up, will definitely be listening and wish you every success!

All Town Aren’t We….

I enjoy the podcast mate and you have some decent guests on , the Burns one was really good imo.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 77
Poojah
August 29, 2023, 2:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,606
Gold Stars: 1,503
Not that this place has ever been renowned for its universal, unwavering optimism, but there’s been some real negative nellies on here of late.

“Boo, I know the new third kit was designed by a literal child and all that, but I’m going to say I think it’s shít regardless and hereby REFUSE to buy it (even though I wasn’t going to buy it anyway)”

“Boo, our new signing’s not a striker and he looks like an extra from Breaking Bad”

“Boo, long-running amateur Town podcast is ‘drivel’ and lacks professional production values - this new one better not be shít too”

A little bit of constructive feedback, delivered in the right way and in the right spirit is never a bad thing, but perhaps a modicum of personal introspection would be a better channeling of time and energy than serving up spiteful criticism of those having a go on behalf of the club, or those yet to have had the opportunity to do so.

Christ.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 77
Mappers
August 29, 2023, 2:20pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,341
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from Poojah
Not that this place has ever been renowned for its universal, unwavering optimism, but there’s been some real negative nellies on here of late.

“Boo, I know the new third kit was designed by a literal child and all that, but I’m going to say I think it’s shít regardless and hereby REFUSE to buy it (even though I wasn’t going to buy it anyway)”

“Boo, our new signing’s not a striker and he looks like an extra from Breaking Bad”

“Boo, long-running amateur Town podcast is ‘drivel’ and lacks professional production values - this new one better not be shít too”

A little bit of constructive feedback, delivered in the right way and in the right spirit is never a bad thing, but perhaps a modicum of personal introspection would be better channeling of time and energy than serving up spiteful criticism of those having a go on behalf of the club, or those yet to have had the opportunity to do so.

Christ.

Pretty much my thoughts of late and Twitter space is even worse .

Hopefully we win well on  Saturday .

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 77
Zero_as_a_limit
August 29, 2023, 2:48pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +109
Gold Stars: 1
Sounds good on a first listen and good to hear such enthusiasm!

With the decline of newspaper and radio coverage of Town (and clubs like it) podcasts will become increasingly important as sources of information and engagement for fans. Properly preparing for, recording and editing a podcast is a huge time commitment so all power to you if you can stick with it.

The best sports podcasts I listen to are produced by journalists, meaning they have time to research and write detailed previews and reviews, can call on former players to give expert input, and also that they have a guaranteed audience meaning that they can get good guests. That is probably asking a bit much here, but things like long form interviews with retiring players (i.e. Shaun Pearson) regular input from former Town players and live podcast events are all the sort of things you could look to do.

One note of caution, I've seen podcasts have their objectivity stifled because as fans the people doing them are overawed at having access to the board / management / players. This can mean the content becomes a bit too much like fan mail (not a criticism I'd level at DN35 by the way but something to be wary of).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 77
ska face
August 29, 2023, 2:58pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,664
Gold Stars: 847
Halfway through the first episode, enjoyed it so far. Always good to listen to other people knowing that you can turn them off if you don’t agree, unlike being stuck next to some gobshíte in the stands.

Also listen to DN35 every week, enjoy that even if they do treat young Sam like Donny off The Big Lebowski at times. I get stage fright taking a phone call in the office most days so reluctant to criticise anyone spending their own time putting something like this together.

Bring back the Cod Pod Pod I say.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 77
Theimperialcoroner
August 29, 2023, 2:58pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,211
Gold Stars: 102
Pods are the new fanzines and long may they continue. Just like SWWF, the DN35 pod puts out an unofficial view of the club and we need that independent outlet. I’m sure VFTL will do the same, but it really is easy, if you don’t like it don’t listen and if you don’t like it don’t be a sharp object and slag off those that are trying to do something good.
SWWF may not have been perfect at times but only an anus would give people, who put loads of time and effort in to produce it, excrement when they can’t be bothered to do something themselves.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 77
aldi_01
August 29, 2023, 3:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

A little bit of constructive feedback, delivered in the right way and in the right spirit is never a bad thing, but perhaps a modicum of personal introspection would be a better channeling of time and energy than serving up spiteful criticism of those having a go on behalf of the club, or those yet to have had the opportunity to do so.

Christ.

Boooo, flipping people being balanced and pragmatic, boo…I want over reaction…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 77
Fenners
August 29, 2023, 3:11pm
Coke Drinker
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +134
Gold Stars: 20
I keep getting strangers coming up to me in pub toilets of Grimsby/Cleethorpes or somewhere we are playing and telling me how much they like it or joining in with the ongoing banter. Something is going right ha!!!

Good luck in the new venture and don't take the words of others too seriously positive or negative!! UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 77
Mikey_345
August 29, 2023, 3:28pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,383
Gold Stars: 106
Quoted from Fenners
I keep getting strangers coming up to me in pub toilets

Erm… 😂

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 77
BobbyCummingsTackle
August 29, 2023, 3:34pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,281
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from Fenners
I keep getting strangers coming up to me in pub toilets of Grimsby/Cleethorpes

I got that too until I stopped wearing the leather chaps and shaved off the droopy moustache.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 77
Sandford1981
August 29, 2023, 3:45pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59

I got that too until I stopped wearing the leather chaps and shaved off the droopy moustache.

Ah that explains it, I thought I’d not seen you for a while!!!

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 77
DB
August 29, 2023, 4:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,031
Gold Stars: 388
At the end of the day, these guys are producing podcasts as a hobby to broadcast Town far and wide. I don't listen to podcasts very often, but anything that promotes Town and creates interest in our club has to be great.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 77
lukeo
August 29, 2023, 4:39pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,378
Gold Stars: 148
Never been a big podcast fan but in the last few months have flicked onto DNs and overall its OK. Sometimes it's been great and I've messaged in etc. I appreciate anyone who takes time out to do things like this.
Good luck to the lads setting up this new one. I will try to listen to the odd one like I do DN35
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 77
moosey_club
August 29, 2023, 5:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,268
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Poojah

Christ.

Your posts aren't as funny as they used to be either.

😄

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 77
WOZOFGRIMSBY
August 29, 2023, 5:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,840
Gold Stars: 178
I think you aren’t helping yourselves. It’s a minority view, but, I reckon those from the main stand and pontoon will feel aggrieved that their view isn’t deemed important.  

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 77
Yarborough Vaults
August 29, 2023, 6:01pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +214
Gold Stars: 32
I really enjoy DN35, and will give this new one a listen... the more Town the better.
I do miss that Tom fella though, he used to crack me up with his responses when others were being negative.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 77
MaccasBoots
August 29, 2023, 6:44pm
Snakebite drinker
Approval: +685
Gold Stars: 23
Great first episode lads, really enjoyed the discussion re xG especially

Also interesting to hear the story about Macca's shirt - I happen to have his boots from his last game! (Hence the username) Nice to know that some other town fans have memorabilia from that game

Looking forward to the next one!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 77
smokey111
August 29, 2023, 6:45pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +3,349
Gold Stars: 46
A really good listen. Well done guys. Insightful and very easy listening. Added to my favourites (alongside Top Flight Time Machine)

"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That’s how I see football, that’s how I see life.” Bill Shankly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 77
Yossarian
August 29, 2023, 7:34pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,085
Well done Mr TheFish.

enjoyed listening to it - I would say that you guys need to sound more relaxed - you'll grow into it.  Enjoyed the favourite player/game thing - especially hearing about the massive emotional release when Arnold scored that 3rd goal v FG..

I look forward to the next one - and I think a digest of the weekends game is good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 77
Son of Cod
August 29, 2023, 7:37pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Don't get the criticism of DN35 not being representative of the fans as they've never claimed to be that as far as I'm aware. I listen to it every Monday and really enjoy it personally. I don't always agree with their opinions but that's the nature of what they do. Anyone slating someone for taking the time to do something like this off their own back needs to be having a word with themselves. Absolute nonsense that they don't go to games either, Sam went to Ibiza! Bruce goes to loads of games and I've seen Alex and Mike at loads of matches down South. I beat my PB of aways in 21/22 and I reckon I saw someone from DN35 at pretty much every one of those.

Just started listening to the new kids on the block and enjoying it so far. Great to have another one in my opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 77
Brummie Codfather
August 29, 2023, 8:09pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Approval: +854
Gold Stars: 21
Enjoyed the new podcast & enjoy DN35 too.  Room for both imo - great job 👍
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 77
Ash brown
August 30, 2023, 3:08pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +22
Quoted from thefish
For those of you who cannot have enough Grimsby Town discussion in your lives, we have launched a new, weekly podcast- 'View From The Findus'. Please find the inaugural episode ‘Flattering to Deceive’ here:

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/view-from-the-findus/id1695802344?i=1000626016197

(or on Spotify)

We appreciate that there is already a fabulous podcast up and running in DN35 (their next installment is out on Friday). I am a long-time listener and shall continue to do so. However, we believe that the more people discussing the Mariners the better!

So, grab your fish and chips, put your feet up and enjoy a 'View From The Findus'.

Constructive critism/ ideas welcome!

I've just listened to the first pod and enjoyed it, I'd happily listen to a dozen different town pods and really like dn35 too. Thanks chaps UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 77
diehardmariner
August 30, 2023, 3:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Son of Cod

Just started listening to the new kids on the block and enjoying it so far.

Hangin' Tough and You Got It (The Right Stuff) were ok but didn't really like the mushy numbers, each to their own though.  

Thought the pod was very decent, not even gonna say 'for a first offering' either as I just thought it was good.  Well done guys.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 77
IrishMariner
August 30, 2023, 4:26pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +613
Gold Stars: 19
I really enjoyed the podcast, keep up the good work!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 77
Heisenberg
August 30, 2023, 6:50pm
Brandy Drinker
I haven’t listened yet but absolutely I will do.

Let me just clarify my criticism of DN35. Firstly, I’ve only listened to it twice.

Secondly, I’m a man of a certain age and l, other than Athletico Mince (which is astonishing thanks to the legend that is Bob Mortimer) have never listened to a single other podcast (I didn’t know DN35 wasn’t even new, but people have mentioned they were listening to it during Covid…).

Thirdly, I just thought the ones i listened to sounded like a group of mates telling in-jokes and not getting round to discussing football. It sounded like it wasn’t for outsiders, like it was a closed-shop and I was too late to the party.

Finally, there just wasn’t enough talk about Town.

I hope people can see that I’ve only heard a snapshot and maybe my lack of listening probably hasn’t given me a decent overview.

But I definitely thought it was rubbish.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 77
gtfc98
August 30, 2023, 6:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
First off I'm not a presenter of DN35, secondly f#ck off you miserable tw@ts slagging it off as "hap hazard" and "put together 5 minutes before". It's a few fans doing this for free, and a lot of people (including me) really enjoy the listen. I actually think it's the opposite and remarkably professional. Think back to the days of Compass FM which was apparently a commercial radio station!

I'll give the new pod a listen because there's never enough GTFC content to be had, but the guys and gal at DN35 are doing a great job. The Brighton show was a particular highlight, and they've also had a lot of great interviews in the last year (more of those please!).

So in summary, in the words of Rob Scott; If you don't f#cking like it, don't f#cking listen.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 77
Heisenberg
August 30, 2023, 7:04pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from gtfc98
First off I'm not a presenter of DN35, secondly f#ck off you miserable tw@ts slagging it off as "hap hazard" and "put together 5 minutes before". It's a few fans doing this for free, and a lot of people (including me) really enjoy the listen. I actually think it's the opposite and remarkably professional. Think back to the days of Compass FM which was apparently a commercial radio station!

I'll give the new pod a listen just because there's never enough GTFC content to be had, but the guys and gal at DN35 are doing a great job. The Brighton show was a particular highlight, and they've also had a lot of great interviews in the last year (more of those please!).

So in summary, in the words of Rob Scott; If you don't f#cking like it, don't f#cking listen.

Don’t get your knickers in a twist, I don’t listen, I’m just saying it’s not very good. I don’t care about production quality and stuff like that, I’m just saying what it is. God, there are some aggressive people on here!

Name calling, honestly.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 77
gtfc98
August 30, 2023, 7:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Heisenberg

Don’t get your knickers in a twist, I don’t listen, I’m just saying it’s not very good. I don’t care about production quality and stuff like that, I’m just saying what it is. God, there are some aggressive people on here!

Name calling, honestly.

Do you think it's nice to say something that Alex and the team spend a lot of time and effort on for free to contribute to GTFC is "not very good". I'd say you're the aggressive one here pal.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 77
toontown
August 30, 2023, 8:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,280
Gold Stars: 70
When I first discovered DN35 I went back and listened to all their historical episodes too, really enjoyed it. I still make sure to listen every week and like it but the nature of the pod has definitely changed to more chat amongst themselves and less discussion on Town.

However, its not really fair though to say, "excuse me can you continue to provide me with this product I like, for free, but just enjoy yourselves less whilst doing it could you." I'll be listening to both pods anyway, the more stuff on Town the better!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 77
mariner2000
August 30, 2023, 8:30pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +164
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
I think you aren’t helping yourselves. It’s a minority view, but, I reckon those from the main stand and pontoon will feel aggrieved that their view isn’t deemed important.  

Well you know what that means....room for at least 3 more pods, 7 if you count the corners...!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 43 - 77
Heisenberg
August 30, 2023, 9:55pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from gtfc98

Do you think it's nice to say something that Alex and the team spend a lot of time and effort on for free to contribute to GTFC is "not very good". I'd say you're the aggressive one here pal.

What I’m saying is, I don’t think it’s for fans, I think it’s self indulgent for themselves, that’s all. We’ll agree to disagree.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 77
gtfc98
August 31, 2023, 7:23am
Whiskey Drinker
Thought TVFTF was a really good listen. Well done to the 3 lads involved. Thought the discussion about expected goals was interesting and worrying! Nice to hear the Bright lights again too. Re-living my youth there!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 77
Son of Cod
August 31, 2023, 9:10am
Champagne Drinker
On the xG discussion, it's almost as if those people who spent most of last season slating McAtee might have been wrong...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 77
spikelias
September 1, 2023, 7:02pm
Coke Drinker
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +22
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Heisenberg
I haven’t listened yet but absolutely I will do.

Let me just clarify my criticism of DN35. Firstly, I’ve only listened to it twice.

Secondly, I’m a man of a certain age and l, other than Athletico Mince (which is astonishing thanks to the legend that is Bob Mortimer) have never listened to a single other podcast (I didn’t know DN35 wasn’t even new, but people have mentioned they were listening to it during Covid…).

Thirdly, I just thought the ones i listened to sounded like a group of mates telling in-jokes and not getting round to discussing football. It sounded like it wasn’t for outsiders, like it was a closed-shop and I was too late to the party.

Finally, there just wasn’t enough talk about Town.

I hope people can see that I’ve only heard a snapshot and maybe my lack of listening probably hasn’t given me a decent overview.

But I definitely thought it was rubbish.

I don't get this. You've listened to it twice, say it's rubbish, then hope people understand your viewpoint? Based on that maybe tone down your comments, if you don't appreciate the negativity coming back at you.

I do agree with some of your points, especially not being from Grimsby, but it feels less of a closed-shop the more you listen/watch. Just like other media.

You mention Covid and lockdown and it's a shame you couldn't access this Pod then as it was brilliant. Engaging fans with the bull that was going on with Fenty, Holloway and May, plus missing the connection of not being at games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 77
Yarborough Vaults
September 3, 2023, 8:58am
Beer Drinker
Finally got to listen to the first edition of VFTF after Podbean took a while to list it. Very enjoyable, well done all.

Felt a bit old when favourite games listed were all quite recent (though they're among my best too), but favourite kits talk was brilliant. The comment that one of the classics would probably get moans these days was very pertinent.

This and DN35 are great to feed the Town addiction between games. As someone mentioned further up on this thread, they keep the spirit of SWWF alive.  Keep em coming!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 77
jamesgtfc
September 3, 2023, 10:15am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,986
Gold Stars: 190
I'm 33 and to hear someone say Alan Connell is their favourite player made me feel old. Decent listen though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 77
LocalLadGTFC
September 3, 2023, 10:52am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,229
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I'm 33 and to hear someone say Alan Connell is their favourite player made me feel old. Decent listen though.

I'm 27 and mines Liam Hearn  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 50 - 77
mariner91
September 4, 2023, 12:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,666
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Well I'm 32 and depending what age you started going there were some very barren years in the 00's and early 10's. I was fortunate enough to see Pouton, Coyne, Boulding and the like but my personal favourite is Gary Jones. I would die for that man.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 77
grimsby pete
September 5, 2023, 10:21pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,801
Gold Stars: 222
While we are at it I am 75 and my favourite is Ron Rafferty he scored 145 goals for us.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 77
gtfc98
September 5, 2023, 10:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete
While we are at it I am 75 and my favourite is Ron Rafferty he scored 145 goals for us.

Would have loved to have seen him play Pete!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 77
Rodley Mariner
September 5, 2023, 11:02pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from gtfc98

Would have loved to have seen him play Pete!

I think Ron Rafferty probably would have won given he was a professional footballer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 77
aldi_01
September 6, 2023, 6:45am

Barley Wine Drinker
I genuinely feel for town fans who only really started going in say 2000/2001 because in truth, it was dreadful for ages.

There are highlights, of course, Spurs, Liverpool, Wembley, a failed playoff charge, a play off win and then THAT playoff campaign and a cup run…they’re all great memories but the in between parts were flipping dreadful…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 77
DB
September 6, 2023, 9:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,031
Gold Stars: 388
Quoted from grimsby pete

Mine as well Pete. He was terrific along with Mike Cullen, Johnny Scott etc.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 77
diehardmariner
September 6, 2023, 9:37am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01
I genuinely feel for town fans who only really started going in say 2000/2001 because in truth, it was dreadful for ages.

There are highlights, of course, Spurs, Liverpool, Wembley, a failed playoff charge, a play off win and then THAT playoff campaign and a cup run…they’re all great memories but the in between parts were flipping dreadful…

The irony is that the 2016 Play Off win and the 2022 Play Off campaign were by the far the most emotionally draining experiences you could ever imagine as a football fan.  I think they were that little bit extra better because of everything that had preceded it.  

2016 because of the sheer relief.
2022 because of everything.  Football had been excrement, first season we were allowed back to games, righting all the wrongs, first time of asking...everything.

I was absolutely spoilt growing up going to watch Town.  Started late 80's when things really got going under Buckley.  But you do take it for granted.  I certainly didn't appreciate us going toe-to-toe with genuinely huge football clubs.  As we initially slipped back down the leagues I can remember feeling a sense of disbelief as we got hammered at Wycombe or struggled to see of the likes of Carlisle, Torquay....by the time we were getting our bottom handed to us at Braintree I'd well and truly adjusted.  I was watching the EFL highlights last week and when Mansfield v Stockport came on I remember thinking 'two big clubs in our league'....flipping hell, if I blink long enough I can remember quite vividly Jim Dobbin, Dave Gilbert and Neil Woods playing keep-ball in the corner against Wolves at the end of a 3-0 masterclass at BP.

Private Message
Reply: 57 - 77
Yarborough Vaults
September 6, 2023, 3:27pm
Beer Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Michael Boulding this week so they are going a bit further back! Good to hear the reasons behind the choices and so often it seems to be a player close to beginning of supporting Town.

The players just seem immense as a kid don't they. My favourite is Shaun Cunnington - in my memory he was better than Iniesta!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 77
IlkleyMariner
September 6, 2023, 3:41pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from grimsby pete

I’m 76 and Ron Rafferty would certainly have been up there. But he needed Jonny Scott to supply the ball. Remember seeing Jonny crossing the ball from the half way line in open play straight onto Rons head to score from inside the penalty area.

Also Ron jumped so high he hit his jaw on the crossbar…..allegedly

Great times.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 77
Chrisblor
September 6, 2023, 3:52pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,870
Paul Bolland, Justin Whittle, Michael Reddy, Martin Gritton's appearances in Gullies and especially the bloke in my signature made supporting town in the early to mid 2000s worth it imho

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 77
diehardmariner
September 6, 2023, 4:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Yarborough Vaults

The players just seem immense as a kid don't they. My favourite is Shaun Cunnington - in my memory he was better than Iniesta!

My first Town hero!  

I was devastated, to the point of full blown tears, when he left for Sunderland after a will-he-won't he saga.  Little did I know that his replacement would go onto be my all time favourite player, not only just for Town but ever!  To the tune of a £500k profit too.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 77
quebec38
September 6, 2023, 5:29pm
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,587
Gold Stars: 48
I listened to this weeks pod this morning and thought it was really good. I hope they continue with it
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 77
jamesgtfc
September 6, 2023, 6:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,986
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Yarborough Vaults

Michael Boulding this week so they are going a bit further back! Good to hear the reasons behind the choices and so often it seems to be a player close to beginning of supporting Town.

That makes me feel my age and I can relate with that because I think it would be my pick too. Went to Wembley twice in 1998 but can't really remember a great deal of anything in the 20th century. When I think back to my favourite moments and games, most of them are 2000-2003, during which we beat 2 teams which have since gone on to win their first Premier League titles, and drew against another.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 77
HerveJosse
September 6, 2023, 10:02pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

I’m 76 and Ron Rafferty would certainly have been up there. But he needed Jonny Scott to supply the ball. Remember seeing Jonny crossing the ball from the half way line in open play straight onto Rons head to score from inside the penalty area.

Also Ron jumped so high he hit his jaw on the crossbar…..allegedly

Great times.

Though before even my time my father always said the best Town player he saw from that era was Jeff Whitefoot in his one year with us between the Busby Babes and Forrest . Don’t know if anyone still around on here who saw him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 77
lew chaterleys lover
September 7, 2023, 8:58am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,732
Quoted from HerveJosse

Though before even my time my father always said the best Town player he saw from that era was Jeff Whitefoot in his one year with us between the Busby Babes and Forrest . Don’t know if anyone still around on here who saw him

My dad said the same about Jeff Whitefoot, and he waxed lyrical about him although he seems to have gone under the radar as I never hear him mentioned by other people.

A great player stands out a mile whatever the era.
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 77
IlkleyMariner
September 7, 2023, 11:03am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from HerveJosse

Jeff Whitefoot was a fabulous player. Think he went to Notts Forest after just a year with Town. Forest were a good side then.
Ron Rafferty was great over many years, so think he gets the vote.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 77
Chips44
September 7, 2023, 11:55am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +127
I was at the game where Ron Rafferty headed downwards
onto the crossbar. There was a call over the Tanoy asking if there was a dentist in the ground!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 77
TwoLeftFeet
September 7, 2023, 12:02pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Approval: +2,082
Quoted from HerveJosse

My dad says Whitefoot was the best player he saw play for Town he's been going to watch Town since the 1948 season and still goes now so must have been some player..
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 77
Poojah
September 7, 2023, 12:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,606
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet

My dad says Whitefoot was the best player he saw play for Town he's been going to watch Town since the 1948 season and still goes now so must have been some player..

Not a name I’ve seen crop up often, but a quick Google reveals that he was one of the Busby Babes, signing for Town in November 1957 - just months before the Munich disaster in February 1958. Impeccable timing.

This is an interesting read, even for those (like myself) for whom Jeff would have been well before their time:

https://www.stamfordmercury.co.uk/news/amp/meet-jeff-the-last-of-the-busby-babes-9295903/

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 77
WOZOFGRIMSBY
September 7, 2023, 5:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,840
Gold Stars: 178
Where do you start: Clive mendonca, Gary birtles, Paul futcher, Steve sherwood, Shaun cunnington, ivano, John McDermott tony Rees, big Keith, cockers………………..

The list could go on for a while!

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 77
moosey_club
September 7, 2023, 9:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Just had a part listen to both episodes, nicely done.

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 77
thefish
September 12, 2023, 7:32am

Table Wine Drinker
While relatively new, I shall keep shamelessly plugging the podcast a little bit!

Here you’ll find episode 3:

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/view-from-the-findus/id1695802344?i=1000627563373

On this week's episode the panel discuss the agonising draw at Valley Parade, have a round up of the weekend's goings on in League Two and debate whether or not the EFL Trophy is still a worthwhile competition. They also take a look at new signing Callum Ainley, preview a re-acquaintance with National League arch rivals Wrexhem and play a game of "Guess the Starting 11" from a significant Grimsby game from the past. Play along with the guys and see how many you can remember... don't google it!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 77
Son of Cod
September 18, 2023, 3:36pm
Champagne Drinker
Is there an episode 4 yet?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 77
HerveJosse
September 18, 2023, 9:34pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from thefish
While relatively new, I shall keep shamelessly plugging the podcast a little bit!

Here you’ll find episode 3:

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/view-from-the-findus/id1695802344?i=1000627563373

On this week's episode the panel discuss the agonising draw at Valley Parade, have a round up of the weekend's goings on in League Two and debate whether or not the EFL Trophy is still a worthwhile competition. They also take a look at new signing Callum Ainley, preview a re-acquaintance with National League arch rivals Wrexhem and play a game of "Guess the Starting 11" from a significant Grimsby game from the past. Play along with the guys and see how many you can remember... don't google it!

They certainly give more thought and  put more effort and originality into the subjects they choose and discuss then the ramblings on DN35.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 77
moosey_club
September 18, 2023, 10:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Son of Cod
Is there an episode 4 yet?

You probably havnt thought to search under its new name, to remain true to life and sponsor changes they have changed the name now to View From the John Smiths 😄

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 77
aldi_01
September 19, 2023, 6:31am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

You probably havnt thought to search under its new name, to remain true to life and sponsor changes they have changed the name now to View From the John Smiths 😄

illegitimate, I was looking for the podcast, ‘view from the stones bitter stand’

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 77
thefish
September 19, 2023, 8:15am

Table Wine Drinker
Episode four is live:

On this week's episode the guys try to cling on to the positives after a disappointing defeat on our first return to Wrexham since "that" play off semi-final win in 2022. They also take a look at the other results in League Two this weekend, preview the Crawley game which will coincide with Grimsby's 145th anniversary and in a bumper part 3 take their first "Season Rewind" back to the 2005-2006 campaign. Prepare yourself for a heavy dose of nostalgia and to be reminded of the Play-Off Final you've probably been trying to forget ever since...

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/view-from-the-findus/id1695802344?i=1000628366001
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 77
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › View From The Findus

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.