Chrisblor
September 6, 2023, 3:52pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,856
Gold Stars: 235
Paul Bolland, Justin Whittle, Michael Reddy, Martin Gritton's appearances in Gullies and especially the bloke in my signature made supporting town in the early to mid 2000s worth it imho

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 77
diehardmariner
September 6, 2023, 4:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Yarborough Vaults

The players just seem immense as a kid don't they. My favourite is Shaun Cunnington - in my memory he was better than Iniesta!

My first Town hero!  

I was devastated, to the point of full blown tears, when he left for Sunderland after a will-he-won't he saga.  Little did I know that his replacement would go onto be my all time favourite player, not only just for Town but ever!  To the tune of a £500k profit too.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 77
quebec38
September 6, 2023, 5:29pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,585
Gold Stars: 48
I listened to this weeks pod this morning and thought it was really good. I hope they continue with it
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 77
jamesgtfc
September 6, 2023, 6:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,967
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Yarborough Vaults

Michael Boulding this week so they are going a bit further back! Good to hear the reasons behind the choices and so often it seems to be a player close to beginning of supporting Town.

The players just seem immense as a kid don't they. My favourite is Shaun Cunnington - in my memory he was better than Iniesta!

That makes me feel my age and I can relate with that because I think it would be my pick too. Went to Wembley twice in 1998 but can't really remember a great deal of anything in the 20th century. When I think back to my favourite moments and games, most of them are 2000-2003, during which we beat 2 teams which have since gone on to win their first Premier League titles, and drew against another.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 77
HerveJosse
September 6, 2023, 10:02pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

I’m 76 and Ron Rafferty would certainly have been up there. But he needed Jonny Scott to supply the ball. Remember seeing Jonny crossing the ball from the half way line in open play straight onto Rons head to score from inside the penalty area.

Also Ron jumped so high he hit his jaw on the crossbar…..allegedly

Great times.

Though before even my time my father always said the best Town player he saw from that era was Jeff Whitefoot in his one year with us between the Busby Babes and Forrest . Don’t know if anyone still around on here who saw him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 77
lew chaterleys lover
September 7, 2023, 8:58am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from HerveJosse

Though before even my time my father always said the best Town player he saw from that era was Jeff Whitefoot in his one year with us between the Busby Babes and Forrest . Don’t know if anyone still around on here who saw him

My dad said the same about Jeff Whitefoot, and he waxed lyrical about him although he seems to have gone under the radar as I never hear him mentioned by other people.

A great player stands out a mile whatever the era.
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 77
IlkleyMariner
September 7, 2023, 11:03am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from HerveJosse

Jeff Whitefoot was a fabulous player. Think he went to Notts Forest after just a year with Town. Forest were a good side then.
Ron Rafferty was great over many years, so think he gets the vote.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 77
Chips44
September 7, 2023, 11:55am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +127
I was at the game where Ron Rafferty headed downwards
onto the crossbar. There was a call over the Tanoy asking if there was a dentist in the ground!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 77
TwoLeftFeet
September 7, 2023, 12:02pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,082
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from HerveJosse

My dad says Whitefoot was the best player he saw play for Town he's been going to watch Town since the 1948 season and still goes now so must have been some player..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 77
Poojah
September 7, 2023, 12:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,580
Gold Stars: 1,502
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet

My dad says Whitefoot was the best player he saw play for Town he's been going to watch Town since the 1948 season and still goes now so must have been some player..

Not a name I’ve seen crop up often, but a quick Google reveals that he was one of the Busby Babes, signing for Town in November 1957 - just months before the Munich disaster in February 1958. Impeccable timing.

This is an interesting read, even for those (like myself) for whom Jeff would have been well before their time:

https://www.stamfordmercury.co.uk/news/amp/meet-jeff-the-last-of-the-busby-babes-9295903/

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 77
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › View From The Findus

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.