LocalLadGTFC
September 3, 2023, 10:52am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,229
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I'm 33 and to hear someone say Alan Connell is their favourite player made me feel old. Decent listen though.

I'm 27 and mines Liam Hearn  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 50 - 77
mariner91
September 4, 2023, 12:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,666
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I'm 33 and to hear someone say Alan Connell is their favourite player made me feel old. Decent listen though.

Well I'm 32 and depending what age you started going there were some very barren years in the 00's and early 10's. I was fortunate enough to see Pouton, Coyne, Boulding and the like but my personal favourite is Gary Jones. I would die for that man.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 77
grimsby pete
September 5, 2023, 10:21pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,801
Gold Stars: 222
While we are at it I am 75 and my favourite is Ron Rafferty he scored 145 goals for us.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 77
gtfc98
September 5, 2023, 10:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
Quoted from grimsby pete
While we are at it I am 75 and my favourite is Ron Rafferty he scored 145 goals for us.

Would have loved to have seen him play Pete!

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 77
Rodley Mariner
September 5, 2023, 11:02pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from gtfc98

Would have loved to have seen him play Pete!

I think Ron Rafferty probably would have won given he was a professional footballer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 77
aldi_01
September 6, 2023, 6:45am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I genuinely feel for town fans who only really started going in say 2000/2001 because in truth, it was dreadful for ages.

There are highlights, of course, Spurs, Liverpool, Wembley, a failed playoff charge, a play off win and then THAT playoff campaign and a cup run…they’re all great memories but the in between parts were flipping dreadful…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 77
DB
September 6, 2023, 9:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,026
Gold Stars: 387
Quoted from grimsby pete

Mine as well Pete. He was terrific along with Mike Cullen, Johnny Scott etc.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 77
diehardmariner
September 6, 2023, 9:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,634
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from aldi_01
I genuinely feel for town fans who only really started going in say 2000/2001 because in truth, it was dreadful for ages.

There are highlights, of course, Spurs, Liverpool, Wembley, a failed playoff charge, a play off win and then THAT playoff campaign and a cup run…they’re all great memories but the in between parts were flipping dreadful…

The irony is that the 2016 Play Off win and the 2022 Play Off campaign were by the far the most emotionally draining experiences you could ever imagine as a football fan.  I think they were that little bit extra better because of everything that had preceded it.  

2016 because of the sheer relief.
2022 because of everything.  Football had been excrement, first season we were allowed back to games, righting all the wrongs, first time of asking...everything.

I was absolutely spoilt growing up going to watch Town.  Started late 80's when things really got going under Buckley.  But you do take it for granted.  I certainly didn't appreciate us going toe-to-toe with genuinely huge football clubs.  As we initially slipped back down the leagues I can remember feeling a sense of disbelief as we got hammered at Wycombe or struggled to see of the likes of Carlisle, Torquay....by the time we were getting our bottom handed to us at Braintree I'd well and truly adjusted.  I was watching the EFL highlights last week and when Mansfield v Stockport came on I remember thinking 'two big clubs in our league'....flipping hell, if I blink long enough I can remember quite vividly Jim Dobbin, Dave Gilbert and Neil Woods playing keep-ball in the corner against Wolves at the end of a 3-0 masterclass at BP.

Private Message
Reply: 57 - 77
Yarborough Vaults
September 6, 2023, 3:27pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +214
Gold Stars: 32
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Michael Boulding this week so they are going a bit further back! Good to hear the reasons behind the choices and so often it seems to be a player close to beginning of supporting Town.

The players just seem immense as a kid don't they. My favourite is Shaun Cunnington - in my memory he was better than Iniesta!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 77
IlkleyMariner
September 6, 2023, 3:41pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from grimsby pete

I’m 76 and Ron Rafferty would certainly have been up there. But he needed Jonny Scott to supply the ball. Remember seeing Jonny crossing the ball from the half way line in open play straight onto Rons head to score from inside the penalty area.

Also Ron jumped so high he hit his jaw on the crossbar…..allegedly

Great times.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 77
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › View From The Findus

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.