August 29, 2023, 1:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,070
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from aldi_01
flipping hell, ya can’t win.

People use their time and talk about the club, they get some decent guests and the people doing it all work full time. It’s a hobby that they share, nobody makes anyone listen.

Same with this, fair play, anyone who can put their effort into things like this deserves a chance and a pat on the back.

I do get that, Aldi, but the people involved do seem to indulge in inane chit chat for far too long, therefore I’ve chosen not to listen to it again for that reason.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 77
Mikey_345
August 29, 2023, 1:28pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,383
Gold Stars: 106
Well, we aren’t experts at it at DN35 but have never pretended to be. We’re a group of mates that get together and discuss the club/games etc and hope it interests some but it won’t be for everyone, that’s fine and we wouldn’t expect any different.

One or two do seem to enjoy it and we’re really grateful to those that listen to the live show or via listen again, but appreciate the feedback by some on this thread.

As for VFTF all the best guys with the start up, will definitely be listening and wish you every success!

All Town Aren’t We….

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 77
diehardmariner
August 29, 2023, 1:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
There's two schools of thought on it isn't there?

One, if you put it out there then you're there to be shot at.

Two, it's easy to take a pop shot at people who are doing it for free and aren't professionals.

Personally I think a blend of the two is always useful but more with a steer towards helpful feedback than criticism.  I used to really enjoy the DN35 podcast and I think it's easy to forget how good it was during the lockdowns.  Some excellent interviews and also pleasing to see/hear a united voice put together against what was going on, be it the farce of Holloway's reign, Fenty trying to get a fraudster on board, the failed rallying of the Hurst fightback...could go on really!  But we didn't have that option to see each other at games and moan about this stuff, the podcast was a way of seeing our anger voiced in a vicarious manner.

Again, the guys were doing that off their own back. I was very grateful for having that outlet and also a distraction from what was going on around us away from football.

Since then with things settling down more both in the actual world and the GTFC world, it feels there's less need for the frequency of the show.  Is there enough content for a weekly show?  I'm not sure.  It sure as hell isn't a dig but if it's a weekly show to capture the matches, yet the hosts aren't going it does make it a difficult listen at times.  Review of the games was never really the appeal of the show in the first place for me.  As with any football podcast, I listen for the opinions rather than the facts.

I get the inane chit-chat comments, even if I think they're a bit harsh, but that's going to happen on any platform like this.  You listen to any podcast, radio show, even watch a TV show and you'll see those relationships emerge and a lot of the content feels a bit, dare I say, cliquey.  Maybe that comes down from a lack of content and a need to stretch stuff out, I don't know.

LH is probably on the right path when he talks about the subjects.  Largely there's intercourse all to talk about as Town fans, especially at the minute, hence why so many subjects come up time and time again.  We're not moving grounds, we won't be sacking our manager every five minutes, we're not aware of the new training ground location, any redevelopment of BP is on the back burner for now, we did all of our summer business early doors and the football hasn't been great so far.  I'm not sure what I expect the hosts to talk about.  

I'll give the new one a listen and fair play to anyone for trying it.  I don't think you can ever have enough voices, showcases or light shone on the football club.  Even if each podcast helps move that engagement dial by just a nudge, it's a nudge we wouldn't have had otherwise.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 77
Chrisblor
August 29, 2023, 1:31pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,857
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from aldi_01
flipping hell, ya can’t win.

People use their time and talk about the club, they get some decent guests and the people doing it all work full time. It’s a hobby that they share, nobody makes anyone listen.

Same with this, fair play, anyone who can put their effort into things like this deserves a chance and a pat on the back.

I think it's entirely possible to simultaneously appreciate that fans use their spare time to put together a podcast while not actually enjoying the end product. The guy running DN35 is very thin skinned and recently went off on one on twitter over some mild criticism they received from a single Cod Almighty writer about the podcast being too full of in-jokes. I feel similarly and only really listen to it when they get a guest on i'm interested in hearing from, cos I don't really find their discussions all that enlightening or entertaining (even if I do respect that they take the time to produce and record the thing in the first place).

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 77
Mappers
August 29, 2023, 2:10pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,330
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Mikey_345
Well, we aren’t experts at it at DN35 but have never pretended to be. We’re a group of mates that get together and discuss the club/games etc and hope it interests some but it won’t be for everyone, that’s fine and we wouldn’t expect any different.

One or two do seem to enjoy it and we’re really grateful to those that listen to the live show or via listen again, but appreciate the feedback by some on this thread.

As for VFTF all the best guys with the start up, will definitely be listening and wish you every success!

All Town Aren’t We….

I enjoy the podcast mate and you have some decent guests on , the Burns one was really good imo.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 77
Poojah
August 29, 2023, 2:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,583
Gold Stars: 1,503
Not that this place has ever been renowned for its universal, unwavering optimism, but there’s been some real negative nellies on here of late.

“Boo, I know the new third kit was designed by a literal child and all that, but I’m going to say I think it’s shít regardless and hereby REFUSE to buy it (even though I wasn’t going to buy it anyway)”

“Boo, our new signing’s not a striker and he looks like an extra from Breaking Bad”

“Boo, long-running amateur Town podcast is ‘drivel’ and lacks professional production values - this new one better not be shít too”

A little bit of constructive feedback, delivered in the right way and in the right spirit is never a bad thing, but perhaps a modicum of personal introspection would be a better channeling of time and energy than serving up spiteful criticism of those having a go on behalf of the club, or those yet to have had the opportunity to do so.

Christ.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 77
Mappers
August 29, 2023, 2:20pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,330
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Poojah
Not that this place has ever been renowned for its universal, unwavering optimism, but there’s been some real negative nellies on here of late.

“Boo, I know the new third kit was designed by a literal child and all that, but I’m going to say I think it’s shít regardless and hereby REFUSE to buy it (even though I wasn’t going to buy it anyway)”

“Boo, our new signing’s not a striker and he looks like an extra from Breaking Bad”

“Boo, long-running amateur Town podcast is ‘drivel’ and lacks professional production values - this new one better not be shít too”

A little bit of constructive feedback, delivered in the right way and in the right spirit is never a bad thing, but perhaps a modicum of personal introspection would be better channeling of time and energy than serving up spiteful criticism of those having a go on behalf of the club, or those yet to have had the opportunity to do so.

Christ.

Pretty much my thoughts of late and Twitter space is even worse .

Hopefully we win well on  Saturday .

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 77
Zero_as_a_limit
August 29, 2023, 2:48pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +109
Gold Stars: 1
Sounds good on a first listen and good to hear such enthusiasm!

With the decline of newspaper and radio coverage of Town (and clubs like it) podcasts will become increasingly important as sources of information and engagement for fans. Properly preparing for, recording and editing a podcast is a huge time commitment so all power to you if you can stick with it.

The best sports podcasts I listen to are produced by journalists, meaning they have time to research and write detailed previews and reviews, can call on former players to give expert input, and also that they have a guaranteed audience meaning that they can get good guests. That is probably asking a bit much here, but things like long form interviews with retiring players (i.e. Shaun Pearson) regular input from former Town players and live podcast events are all the sort of things you could look to do.

One note of caution, I've seen podcasts have their objectivity stifled because as fans the people doing them are overawed at having access to the board / management / players. This can mean the content becomes a bit too much like fan mail (not a criticism I'd level at DN35 by the way but something to be wary of).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 77
ska face
August 29, 2023, 2:58pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Halfway through the first episode, enjoyed it so far. Always good to listen to other people knowing that you can turn them off if you don’t agree, unlike being stuck next to some gobshíte in the stands.

Also listen to DN35 every week, enjoy that even if they do treat young Sam like Donny off The Big Lebowski at times. I get stage fright taking a phone call in the office most days so reluctant to criticise anyone spending their own time putting something like this together.

Bring back the Cod Pod Pod I say.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 77
Theimperialcoroner
August 29, 2023, 2:58pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,210
Gold Stars: 102
Pods are the new fanzines and long may they continue. Just like SWWF, the DN35 pod puts out an unofficial view of the club and we need that independent outlet. I’m sure VFTL will do the same, but it really is easy, if you don’t like it don’t listen and if you don’t like it don’t be a sharp object and slag off those that are trying to do something good.
SWWF may not have been perfect at times but only an anus would give people, who put loads of time and effort in to produce it, excrement when they can’t be bothered to do something themselves.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 77
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › View From The Findus

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.