Private Message
Maringer
July 23, 2023, 7:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,542
Gold Stars: 185
Would be a good TV plot - the player who played a major part in beating them the other year comes to help them try to win another promotion...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 158
golfer
July 23, 2023, 7:38am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,441
Gold Stars: 116
Can't we get him on loan again ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 158
lukeo
July 23, 2023, 7:41am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Worst team for him to go to. He needs a team that keeps.the ball on the deck, their style of play would do John no favours.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 158
Lincoln Mariner 56
July 23, 2023, 8:08am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Gold Stars: 79
Another season in L2 is hardly going to help his development and now he is at a Premiership club I would expect him to join a L1 club as a minimum but maybe a bottom half Championship club would give him a try?

Potential is certainly there and now probably comes down to his level of commitment and how much he wants it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 158
TheRealJohnLewis
July 23, 2023, 8:14am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
He hardly shined at L2 last season, so another season to establish himself at L2 and prove himself at this level won't harm him.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 158
Les Brechin
July 23, 2023, 8:23am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,713
Gold Stars: 174
John or James?

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 158
Son of Cod
July 23, 2023, 8:46am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from lukeo
Worst team for him to go to. He needs a team that keeps.the ball on the deck, their style of play would do John no favours.

Think they play better footy than they did in our promotion season. They rigidly stick to wingbacks though in a 532/352, would that suit him? Potentially it could as there's a slot there for an attacking midfielder in the hole.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 158
moosey_club
July 23, 2023, 8:53am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,266
Gold Stars: 226
Really can't see him hitting any of the heights of 21/22 again, will always be thankful for his contributions that season but off the field behaviours, outside influencers and ultimately the move he earned for himself made him alot less effective last season.
Luton going up whilst he wasn't there wont have done him any favours as I am sure we all agree he isn't Premiership level.
I can see certain similarities to Bogle ..... a big season with us but then always searching to repeat it.

Would love him to prove me wrong so that season would somehow be more memorable if he went onto much  greater things but he needs to focus his energies in the right way.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 158
dapperz fun pub
July 23, 2023, 9:00am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,954
Gold Stars: 82
Be on loan for a year then be bought by a Bolton / Blackburn type club near his Manchester mates , then like others have said fade into a journeyman like bogle … having said that if he scores 20 in the prem I’d be pleased as punch for him & I personally will always like him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 158
Garth
July 23, 2023, 9:43am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Always did his best for us, and most times in our promotion season was outstanding, love to have him back on loan, and wish him the best wherever he goes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 158
Mappers
July 23, 2023, 9:44am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,330
Gold Stars: 118
The next couple of seasons are make or break for him , head down , show some consistency and score goals and he could play higher up .

It goes the other way and he fades out at the lower levels + is linked back to us every summer .

I would prefer the  former .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 158
chaos33
July 23, 2023, 9:47am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Can’t see how he would want to play at L2 level.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 158
toontown
July 23, 2023, 9:53am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
In the documentary of Wrexham,during our promotion season/their failed attempt season there was a shot of potential January signings on the whiteboard behind parkinson. Mcatee was one of those players listed, so parkinson is obviously an admirer so this wouldn't be completely left field.

Personally I'd be disappointed to see him line up for them, I hope he can get himself a L1 level loan which is what he needs I think.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 158
July 23, 2023, 10:19am
Guest User
Ugh. Not ready for this.
Reply: 14 - 158
aldi_01
July 23, 2023, 11:16am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from 140381
Ugh. Not ready for this.

For what? A player that had a great season with us, played a great part in getting us up moving on?

Let’s face it, his contribution last year was minimal for a number of factors, some his own fault.

He’s gone to Luton, he clearly won’t be in their plans so he’s gonna go somewhere on loan. Is he ready for league 1? Probably not, or is it a case of few teams coming in for him?

All the best to him, perhaps if he sorts himself out off the pitch and with some better coaching he’ll improve and have a decent career in the championship. At this stage it’s all a bit Bogle to me…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 158
golfer
July 23, 2023, 11:58am
Vodka Drinker
If he plays for a team with players up to his standard I am sure he will reach the top
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 158
RichMariner
July 23, 2023, 2:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
The issue I have with this potential move is that it kind of takes something away from that victory at Wrexham.

Don't get me wrong, that game will forever hold a special place in my heart, but if the guy who ran the show that day for us — who cupped his ears at the Wrexham fans in celebration — then ended up playing for them against us just 16 months later, it chips away at something.

We all know we fúcked up their season (and documentary) that day. But, just a year on, they went up anyway and will likely overtake us.

That 5-4 victory would hold more value if it properly hurt them. All it did was delay the inevitable.

Delaying the inevitable was always preferable to losing on the day, obviously. Maybe I'm just being super greedy about it!! I'd rather we didn't face McAtee — at least for a few seasons yet.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 17 - 158
RonMariner
July 23, 2023, 2:17pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,719
That 5-4 victory will always be memorable no matter what happens in the future.

And it did hurt them. It delayed their promotion by a year, which is all any single match can do really.

It was an incredible win, and always will be. Just celebrate it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 158
Abdul19
July 23, 2023, 2:21pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,567
Gold Stars: 216
Exactly, the 5-4 win's a great win because it's a 9 goal thriller in a playoff semi final. I've as much interest in its impact on Wrexham as the 2015 impact on Eastleigh.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 158
July 23, 2023, 2:50pm
Guest User
Quoted from aldi_01

For what? A player that had a great season with us, played a great part in getting us up moving on?

Let’s face it, his contribution last year was minimal for a number of factors, some his own fault.

He’s gone to Luton, he clearly won’t be in their plans so he’s gonna go somewhere on loan. Is he ready for league 1? Probably not, or is it a case of few teams coming in for him?

All the best to him, perhaps if he sorts himself out off the pitch and with some better coaching he’ll improve and have a decent career in the championship. At this stage it’s all a bit Bogle to me…

I liked him a lot. First genuinely “off the seat” player we’ve had in years. Not enamoured with the prospect of seeing him against us in his first season away. Let me feel sorry for myself for a couple of days.
Reply: 20 - 158
ska face
July 23, 2023, 2:57pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
My only regret with Mcatee is I’ve only just realised today how easy it would be to fit his name into the tune of “Let it Be” by The Beatles. Fûcksake.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 158
toontown
July 23, 2023, 3:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from RichMariner
The issue I have with this potential move is that it kind of takes something away from that victory at Wrexham.

Don't get me wrong, that game will forever hold a special place in my heart, but if the guy who ran the show that day for us — who cupped his ears at the Wrexham fans in celebration — then ended up playing for them against us just 16 months later, it chips away at something.

We all know we fúcked up their season (and documentary) that day. But, just a year on, they went up anyway and will likely overtake us.

That 5-4 victory would hold more value if it properly hurt them. All it did was delay the inevitable.

Delaying the inevitable was always preferable to losing on the day, obviously. Maybe I'm just being super greedy about it!! I'd rather we didn't face McAtee — at least for a few seasons yet.

For a town fan that day was all about us, not them.

It's effect on them may have been a slight bonus compared to say, Eastleigh, but ultimately it was all about Town.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 158
moosey_club
July 23, 2023, 3:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,266
Quoted from ska face
My only regret with Mcatee is I’ve only just realised today how easy it would be to fit his name into the tune of “Let it Be” by The Beatles. Fûcksake.

Can still use it.....just make the words detrimental instead of praising 😁

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 158
HatTrickHero
July 23, 2023, 3:40pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +780
Gold Stars: 25
Can't see why he'd be interested, he surely left to prove himself at a higher level, League 1 at a minimum.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 158
Poojah
July 23, 2023, 3:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,580
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from toontown

For a town fan that day was all about us, not them.

It's effect on them may have been a slight bonus compared to say, Eastleigh, but ultimately it was all about Town.

100%. Was it a bonus to have beaten the heavy favourites, the team with all the money and media love, in the presence of their Hollywood benefactors? “Ryan Reynolds is a sex offender”, and all of that jazz.

Yeah, I suppose it probably was. But that game didn’t need any of that to make it one of the absolute best footballing days of my life. It was, entirely on its own merit, a game that had absolutely everything, with a finale perhaps even more astonishing than the one I had witnessed only days earlier. I think, if you stack the just how mental the game was, with the scoreline and nature of the winning goal, with the significance of the outcome, it probably is the greatest game I have ever attended, and possibly ever will.

It was 100% about us that day. If we hadn’t have won, who knows where we’d be today. Last season would have been incredibly difficult with both Wrexham and Notts County like they did. It was a vital result, and McAtee was absolutely on fire that day.

A goal and two fantastic assists, not forgetting the goal that was narrowly disallowed before the game went bonkers. It has to rank as one of the best individual performances I have seen in a Town shirt, albeit there haven’t been too many of those.

I think some underestimate the lad’s talent. Personally, I think he will go on to have a very solid career, well above League Two. Say what you like about his underwhelming form last season, I don’t see Luton sending him out on loan to a League Two club, nor selling him. I have a sneaking suspicion he may just make their PL squad, but time will tell.

I don’t think there’s much substance in the Wrexham rumours, personally. I doubt we’ll see him playing a league game for anyone at BP next season.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 158
nickmariners
July 23, 2023, 4:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Poojah

100%. Was it a bonus to have beaten the heavy favourites, the team with all the money and media love, in the presence of their Hollywood benefactors? “Ryan Reynolds is a sex offender”, and all of that jazz.

Yeah, I suppose it probably was. But that game didn’t need any of that to make it one of the absolute best footballing days of my life. It was, entirely on its own merit, a game that had absolutely everything, with a finale perhaps even more astonishing than the one I had witnessed only days earlier. I think, if you stack the just how mental the game was, with the scoreline and nature of the winning goal, with the significance of the outcome, it probably is the greatest game I have ever attended, and possibly ever will.

It was 100% about us that day. If we hadn’t have won, who knows where we’d be today. Last season would have been incredibly difficult with both Wrexham and Notts County like they did. It was a vital result, and McAtee was absolutely on fire that day.

A goal and two fantastic assists, not forgetting the goal that was narrowly disallowed before the game went bonkers. It has to rank as one of the best individual performances I have seen in a Town shirt, albeit there haven’t been too many of those.

I think some underestimate the lad’s talent. Personally, I think he will go on to have a very solid career, well above League Two. Say what you like about his underwhelming form last season, I don’t see Luton sending him out on loan to a League Two club, nor selling him. I have a sneaking suspicion he may just make their PL squad, but time will tell.

I don’t think there’s much substance in the Wrexham rumours, personally. I doubt we’ll see him playing a league game for anyone at BP next season.

Really well put.

The lad had commitment and enthusiasm as well as raw talent; always prepared to track back and put in a tackle.

Sometimes he seemed to just glide with the ball.

Real "stardust" player who scored some fan-bloody-tastic goals for us.

He was carrying a big injury last season - odd that some supporters are forgetful/unforgiving of that.

I'm sorry he won't be playing for Town anymore, and hope he excels at a much higher level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 158
TheRealJohnLewis
July 23, 2023, 5:02pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

I think some underestimate the lad’s talent.

I'm the opposite, I think he's vastly overrated by a lot of our fans and doesn't deserve the god-like status bestowed upon him by some. He had a brilliant season in non-league and last season he wasn't far off the player that Scunny fans told us we were getting. He has yet to prove he's more than anything more than a flash in the pan. Only time will tell and hopefully, he proves me wrong.

Private Message
Reply: 27 - 158
It Bites
July 23, 2023, 5:08pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,209
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

I'm the opposite, I think he's vastly overrated by a lot of our fans and doesn't deserve the god-like status bestowed upon him by some. He had a brilliant season in non-league and last season he wasn't far off the player that Scunny fans told us we were getting. He has yet to prove he's more than anything more than a flash in the pan. Only time will tell and hopefully, he proves me wrong.

This is exactly how I feel about him . I've seen people on here call him a town legend 😅. He was great in non league but so was Arnold , Connel and hearn
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 158
ginnywings
July 23, 2023, 5:25pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548

Isn't that very essence of under estimating his talent and not opposite at all?

My opinion is that there is a real player in there, but he could go either way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 158
thornemariner
July 23, 2023, 6:07pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +656
Gold Stars: 22
All this mention of that game at Wrexham. Just watched it again!

In over forty years of watching the Mariners, I have never seen anything like it. Put a smile on my face on an otherwise dreary day!
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 158
July 23, 2023, 6:19pm
Guest User

Well that's why you are not a professional football manager, and I would hazard a guess that the manager of the PREMIER league team that own him, and quite a few on this forum, could care less about your opinion.

Reply: 31 - 158
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
July 23, 2023, 6:38pm
Snakebite drinker
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from 123614

Well that's why you are not a professional football manager, and I would hazard a guess that the manager of the PREMIER league team that own him, and quite a few on this forum, could care less about your opinion.

'kinell mate take a bloody chill pill will ya. Although I disagree with Mr. Lewis opinion on this, it is only his opinion. It seems you are berating him for having an opinion. It's what a message board is all about. You really are a cantankerous old curmudgeon, in my opinion of course.

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 158
Maringer
July 23, 2023, 7:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I think McAtee needs to be receiving the ball facing the opposition goal and when his team on the front foot to show his best. He scored a cracker of a goal last season on one of the few occasions this happened for him at BP (but I seem to think we may have lost the game!), but we rarely got him into the right positions.

I think he's probably one of those players who will do much, much better in a stronger side than prior form might indicate. Thinking like players such as Dwight Yorke when I say this - a good striker at Villa who moved up several levels after the move to Manyoo.

Of course, whether he gets the chance in such a side or makes the most of it if he does, is a different matter...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 158
Poojah
July 23, 2023, 7:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
I think McAtee needs to be receiving the ball facing the opposition goal and when his team on the front foot to show his best. He scored a cracker of a goal last season on one of the few occasions this happened for him at BP (but I seem to think we may have lost the game!), but we rarely got him into the right positions.

This one? 0:50.

We drew 1-1.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 158
Mappers
July 23, 2023, 7:27pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Isn't that very essence of under estimating his talent and not opposite at all?

My opinion is that there is a real player in there, but he could go either way.

A Scott Neilson or a John Oster , could go either way .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 158
Theimperialcoroner
July 23, 2023, 7:43pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,210
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from moosey_club

Can still use it.....just make the words detrimental instead of praising 😁

Or even better for Efete

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 158
ginnywings
July 23, 2023, 7:46pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from 123614

The spirit of Victor Meldrew lives on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 158
marinerjase
July 23, 2023, 7:54pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,655
Gold Stars: 147
I hope McAtee does well..wherever that is. Far too often we look to knock/judge instead of just enjoying or appreciating someone with talent/ability - in any sport.

In my humble opinion McAtee had season of his life here, he may not repeat it - or he may well do - I hope it’s the latter. He was imperative to us getting promoted, has an ‘aura/belief’ about him on his day, the ability to produce something out of nothing, and had a decent work rate. Last season just didn’t happen..post injury, move ..maybe factors..but hope he can show his ability as said. Must be said our management team deserve acknowledgment on JM - arguably got his career going again, and probably not the easiest to ‘manage’.

Anyway ..good luck to him wherever he goes as says.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 158
SouthLakesMariner
July 23, 2023, 11:22pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +939
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from It Bites

This is exactly how I feel about him . I've seen people on here call him a town legend 😅. He was great in non league but so was Arnold , Connel and hearn

It depends how you are defining “legend”. Some would say to be a footballing legend, alongside footballing impact, you must have served your club or country for a significant period of time - clearly John McAtee doesn’t fit the Town legend criteria in the way Matt Tees, Joe Waters, Paul Groves or more recently Craig Disley did.

However, another footballing legend criteria may relate to a specific achievement - think the England eleven from 1966, or even a single performance - think David Beckham’s performance against Greece that earned England qualification to a World Cup Finals competition.

John McAtee would fit two out of three of those criteria for GTFC legendary status.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 158
promotion plaice
July 23, 2023, 11:52pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,077
Gold Stars: 198

Did a great job for us but I can see him following the same path as Omar Bogle unfortunately.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 158
coddy60
July 24, 2023, 7:01am

Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +652
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from promotion plaice

Did a great job for us but I can see him following the same path as Omar Bogle unfortunately.

I wouldn't have thought so, he has a great support network of sporting family members, who will keep him grounded, as much as they possibly can.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 158
aldi_01
July 24, 2023, 7:17am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from coddy60

I wouldn't have thought so, he has a great support network of sporting family members, who will keep him grounded, as much as they possibly can.

They need to tell him to get out the raves and his nose out the bag (allegedly) then else his career will be pretty short…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 158
Rick12
July 24, 2023, 9:38am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Potential is certainly there and now probably comes down to his level of commitment and how much he wants it.
Yes mindset is key. Not playing week in week out as will most likely happen at Luton will test his mental resolve. Will performances dip in training and  reserve games or will he knuckle down and try to keep standards high. Players that tend to do well have the belief in themselves and the necessary sacrifice to want to achieve and not let things get the better of them overall when the chips are down.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 158
mariner91
July 24, 2023, 10:16am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,658
Gold Stars: 262
McAtee was the crucial factor in us getting promoted out of non league at the first attempt. Firstly he scored a fair few goals and got a lot of assists or involvements with goals. Secondly, he set the tempo for the team leading from the front and pressing the opposition high and making them uncomfortable the whole game. Thirdly, and I think most importantly, he gave the team and the fans the confidence and belief that we could beat anyone. The team was visibly more assertive and dominant with him playing than if he wasn’t. And the belief in the crowd went up too, further upping the noise and creating an even greater uplift in the team. Everyone in the Town end knew he would score the equaliser against Solihull when he got through and you can’t put a price on having a player like that. I actually don’t think you can overestimate the difference having a fit and in form McAtee had on the team that season.

He wasn’t the best player we’ve ever had and nowhere near the longest serving. Furthermore, last season was a disappointment for a variety of reasons, nobody could deny that. But the role he played in what will be seen as a significant step for the club getting back on its feet was huge. Without him there was no promotion, without him we may have been non league for many more years and it’s doubtful there would have been an FA cup run and the positives that have come from that. And for that reason he is a GTFC legend.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 158
It Bites
July 24, 2023, 12:05pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from mariner91
McAtee was the crucial factor in us getting promoted out of non league at the first attempt. Firstly he scored a fair few goals and got a lot of assists or involvements with goals. Secondly, he set the tempo for the team leading from the front and pressing the opposition high and making them uncomfortable the whole game. Thirdly, and I think most importantly, he gave the team and the fans the confidence and belief that we could beat anyone. The team was visibly more assertive and dominant with him playing than if he wasn’t. And the belief in the crowd went up too, further upping the noise and creating an even greater uplift in the team. Everyone in the Town end knew he would score the equaliser against Solihull when he got through and you can’t put a price on having a player like that. I actually don’t think you can overestimate the difference having a fit and in form McAtee had on the team that season.

He wasn’t the best player we’ve ever had and nowhere near the longest serving. Furthermore, last season was a disappointment for a variety of reasons, nobody could deny that. But the role he played in what will be seen as a significant step for the club getting back on its feet was huge. Without him there was no promotion, without him we may have been non league for many more years and it’s doubtful there would have been an FA cup run and the positives that have come from that. And for that reason he is a GTFC legend.

Some of that might be true but Legend? No chance . Waterfall was far more important too the team and players like Mani and JMD helped get us over the line .
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 158
1mickylyons
July 24, 2023, 1:33pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
The word Legend gets thrown around like confetti Mcatee was brilliant for us in non league and a rare player to get the fans up out their seats but Legend?
Not for me I will follow his career with interest and feel he's much more a team player than Bogle and once he finds his level he will do well in the game . I  really hope the lad knuckles down and gets his chance with Luton but that step ups massive .Luton in fairness have a small number of players who have gone through the divisions so there is a path to follow for him.Goodluck
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 158
buckstown
July 24, 2023, 1:35pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,179
Can’t think of a single compelling reason why Luton would want to send him to a league two club on loan
The only explanation would be that they’ve already decided he’s not good enough and Wrexham are prepared to pay over the odds and take him on a permanent. If he’s going on loan it has to be a league one club surely
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 158
RonMariner
July 24, 2023, 1:38pm

Special Brew Drinker
He gave us some unforgettable moments in the most extraordinary sequence of games I have ever seen.

Whether you regard him as a legend or not, we will never forget that incredible fortnight and his part in it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 158
mariner91
July 24, 2023, 1:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from It Bites

Some of that might be true but Legend? No chance . Waterfall was far more important too the team and players like Mani and JMD helped get us over the line .

No. He wasn't. And the statistics bear that out. That's not disputing that Waterfall played a major part but the period where McAtee was out of form or injured we were atrocious and barely got a point.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 158
grimsby pete
July 24, 2023, 2:01pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
McAtee was head and shoulders above as a player in the conference and deserved all the praise he got.

Last season he never really got started with his injury and lack of form.

He does have above average talent and should be playing in either league 1 or even the championship .

The premiere league is however a step too far in my opinion .

As for Calling him a legend that is a.no no he did not stay with us long enough to join that club.

Macca mark 1 , Rafferty, Waters, Ford , Drinkell, Cumming and a good few more deserve being hailed as legends as they did the work over several years.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 158
MuddyWaters
July 24, 2023, 5:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
McAtee was fantastic in several games in the promotion season and bang average in others. He was pivotal in key moments however and deserved all the accolades and transfer that he got on the back of it. There’s a bundle of talent there without doubt, time will tell if he fulfills it.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 158
Theimperialcoroner
July 24, 2023, 5:08pm

Reading some of the posts on here it’s almost like people want him to fail. “He’ll be another Bogle” I really hope he goes and smashes it. He has the ability, and if managed properly, then why not?
I’d rather he didn’t go the Wrexham but if he does he’d get a suitable welcome from me.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 158
Southwark Mariner
July 24, 2023, 5:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,550
Gold Stars: 83
He'll get worldwide coverage if he goes there and every time they talk about him joining, they'll mention how he helped Grimsby Town defeat Wrexham in the play-offs, prolonging their return one more year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 158
Son of Cod
July 24, 2023, 6:08pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from It Bites

LOL. I love Waterfall to the point that I've opposed this opinion that his time is done at Town in recent weeks but let's not dress up his involvement in 21/22. Yes, he was quality but he could have been switched out for any number of big clogger CBs in the division at the time, they were borderline ten-a-penny. There was only one McAtee in the division and while the likes of Rodrigues, Mullin, Dallas and Sbarra all failed to get their teams through, our talisman dragged us over the line.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 158
Poojah
July 24, 2023, 6:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Son of Cod

LOL. I love Waterfall to the point that I've opposed this opinion that his time is done at Town in recent weeks but let's not dress up his involvement in 21/22. Yes, he was quality but he could have been switched out for any number of big clogger CBs in the division at the time, they were borderline ten-a-penny. There was only one McAtee in the division and while the likes of Rodrigues, Mullin, Dallas and Sbarra all failed to get their teams through, our talisman dragged us over the line.

For me, the most remarkable thing about that play-off campaign was just how many great individual contributions there were in what was ultimately an incredible overarching team effort. Think back to Wembley '98 and Wayne Burnett and Kevin Donovon spring to mind above everyone else; think of the 2016 play-off final and it's Omar Bogle and Nathan Arnold. You just can't narrow the class of 21/22 down like that.

The Max Crocombe-assisted Holohan equaliser at the death at Notts County, followed by Mani's "I just fúcking threw my self at it" winner in the last minute of extra time, not to mention his goal at Wrexham a few days later. McAtee's worldie in immediate response to Mullin's cheap penalty. Taylor's fantastic diving header. Waterfall's brace, including another winner in the last minute of extra time. McAtee again, bursting through for the equaliser against Solihull, legs bursting with cramp. Maguire-Drew sneaking in at the back post for the winner from a Jordan Cropper missile; his throws of course being iconic moments in their own right.

And all of that's before we even get to the heroic midfield performances of the likes of Clifton and Fox et al, Crocombe's worldie save at London Stadium, or young Andy Smith not only playing through the whole play-off campaign like a seasoned pro, but seeing to our kryponite Kyle Hudlin in the process; yet another pivotal moment in a series of pivotal moments. Easy to forget that Smith was only 20 at the time, and had never played a senior league game prior to signing for us that January.

Remove any one of those incredible moments, literally any one of them, and it's possible if not probable that the final outcome would have been totally different. Holohan shanks his shot wide? We trudge out of Meadow Lane moments later, staring at the ground. McAtee spoons his long range effort over the bar? Maybe we don't find the belief that we can beat Wrexham, and we lose that game 3 or 4-0. Christ, Efete doesn't get injured earlier in the season, and we don't have Jordan Cropper on the pitch to launch his grenades in. Had we not gone up when we did, I think it's pretty likely we'd still be down there now too, and our prospects would look very different.

The whole thing was just so utterly bonkers, I still find it hard to believe that it happened, over a year on, especially when I write it out like that, step-by-step. It's that massive cliché, but you generally couldn't write a fictional story in that way without losing all credibility.

It was, quite literally, unbelievable…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 158
RonMariner
July 24, 2023, 6:36pm

Special Brew Drinker
Say what you will about his legacy, but I doubt very much that we would have been promoted without him. We would most probably still be down there worrying about how to beat Chesterfeild,  Hartlepool and York to one of the promotion slots.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 158
forza ivano
July 24, 2023, 9:51pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,204
Quoted from RonMariner
Say what you will about his legacy, but I doubt very much that we would have been promoted without him. We would most probably still be down there worrying about how to beat Chesterfeild,  Hartlepool and York to one of the promotion slots.

Very true, but equally I wonder if he'd even make it into a GTFC best non league XI - I'd certainly put Amond & Bogle in front of him, & you could argue that Alan Connell was equally as important
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 158
Mappers
July 24, 2023, 10:02pm
Champagne Drinker
I liked them at the time we went up , I love the lot of them even more now with the daft money still flying around the NL it's never going to be easy to get out of for anyone ; thank god everything alligned at the right time for us along with the lads stepping up .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 158
Mappers
July 24, 2023, 10:03pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner

Exactly Ron and York have just paid 250k for a striker .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 158
Mappers
July 24, 2023, 10:11pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

Very true, but equally I wonder if he'd even make it into a GTFC best non league XI - I'd certainly put Amond & Bogle in front of him, & you could argue that Alan Connell was equally as important

Connell was what Mcatee should aspire to be , seemed a more polished version - similiar that he dropped in and loved to link the play - but scored a few more goals - always wondered how we got him.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 158
toontown
July 24, 2023, 10:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Legend - possibly not, but Hero - most definitely! And as Poojah points out we had practically a team full of heroes in that utterly sensational play off campaign.

I love it when a plan comes together!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 158
Theimperialcoroner
July 24, 2023, 10:52pm

Quoted from forza ivano

I’d play him just behind those two. What an attacking group that would be.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 158
diehardmariner
July 25, 2023, 9:40am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Poojah

For me, the most remarkable thing about that play-off campaign was just how many great individual contributions there were in what was ultimately an incredible overarching team effort. Think back to Wembley '98 and Wayne Burnett and Kevin Donovon spring to mind above everyone else; think of the 2016 play-off final and it's Omar Bogle and Nathan Arnold. You just can't narrow the class of 21/22 down like that.

The Max Crocombe-assisted Holohan equaliser at the death at Notts County, followed by Mani's "I just fúcking threw my self at it" winner in the last minute of extra time, not to mention his goal at Wrexham a few days later. McAtee's worldie in immediate response to Mullin's cheap penalty. Taylor's fantastic diving header. Waterfall's brace, including another winner in the last minute of extra time. McAtee again, bursting through for the equaliser against Solihull, legs bursting with cramp. Maguire-Drew sneaking in at the back post for the winner from a Jordan Cropper missile; his throws of course being iconic moments in their own right.

And all of that's before we even get to the heroic midfield performances of the likes of Clifton and Fox et al, Crocombe's worldie save at London Stadium, or young Andy Smith not only playing through the whole play-off campaign like a seasoned pro, but seeing to our kryponite Kyle Hudlin in the process; yet another pivotal moment in a series of pivotal moments. Easy to forget that Smith was only 20 at the time, and had never played a senior league game prior to signing for us that January.

Remove any one of those incredible moments, literally any one of them, and it's possible if not probable that the final outcome would have been totally different. Holohan shanks his shot wide? We trudge out of Meadow Lane moments later, staring at the ground. McAtee spoons his long range effort over the bar? Maybe we don't find the belief that we can beat Wrexham, and we lose that game 3 or 4-0. Christ, Efete doesn't get injured earlier in the season, and we don't have Jordan Cropper on the pitch to launch his grenades in. Had we not gone up when we did, I think it's pretty likely we'd still be down there now too, and our prospects would look very different.

The whole thing was just so utterly bonkers, I still find it hard to believe that it happened, over a year on, especially when I write it out like that, step-by-step. It's that massive cliché, but you generally couldn't write a fictional story in that way without losing all credibility.

It was, quite literally, unbelievable…

Really good summary and you can't understate the sheer magnitude of what was achieved, but I think there's a bit of recency at play when comparing 2022 to 1998.  Yeah, Donovan and Burnett stand out for their respective goals in the two finals, but for the heroics of Ben Fox and Harry Clifton there was Paul Groves absolutely dominating anyone who came across him in midfield, the Nogan/Lester pairing that just worked in perfect tandem with the cutting in Donovan and the overlapping Macca down the right.   If we're talking moments then Dave Smith anticipating the short pass back at Craven Cottage.  Both Fulham red cards, the one at Blundell Park that set fire to what was already a red hot atmosphere, Lester rolling the Northampton defender to perfection that let Donovan in for the play-off winner....the inspired substitution of Kingsley Black on for Tony Gallimore in the Autowindscreens Final....

2022 is so, so special and I don't think any of us will ever experience anything like it again.  Personally I'm not sure I want to. I remember stating how much I hated football throughout most of the Notts County game and all of the Wrexham game.  The joy at the end was unrivalled but the emotional rollercoaster to get there was horrific.

In terms of sliding doors moments, 2022 trumps anything.  Things like the Crocombe 'assist', the stupidity of the County defender to foul Clifton when it was easier to just stand up and prevent him from turning, the instant reaction from McAtee at Wrexham, the Hudlin removal from the game. 1998, just like 2016 definitely has them, but recency and the greater exposure definitely puts them even further in the shadow.

On reflection, there was some quite distinct parallels between 1998 and 2022.  Returning manager, calls for their head during the season, need/desire to bounce back straight away, the battle against a cash-rich/media loved side in the semi-finals...

Easy as Town fans to think we've had it excrement, to be fair we have!  But there are some truly wonderful moments I'm grateful I've witnessed as a Town fan.  It just adds something to me about a point on another thread about the increased numbers at games in the last 20 or so years. You can't beat live sport. I don't care what sport it is.  The spectacle, the anticipation, the adrenaline in the air, it's just magical.  But to see your team, the team you've worried about more than you really should have done go on and do something like that.  You just can't replicate that by randomly picking a side in the Prem to follow.
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 158
RonMariner
July 25, 2023, 10:47am

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner

Really good summary and you can't understate the sheer magnitude of what was achieved, but I think there's a bit of recency at play when comparing 2022 to 1998.  Yeah, Donovan and Burnett stand out for their respective goals in the two finals, but for the heroics of Ben Fox and Harry Clifton there was Paul Groves absolutely dominating anyone who came across him in midfield, the Nogan/Lester pairing that just worked in perfect tandem with the cutting in Donovan and the overlapping Macca down the right.   If we're talking moments then Dave Smith anticipating the short pass back at Craven Cottage.  Both Fulham red cards, the one at Blundell Park that set fire to what was already a red hot atmosphere, Lester rolling the Northampton defender to perfection that let Donovan in for the play-off winner....the inspired substitution of Kingsley Black on for Tony Gallimore in the Autowindscreens Final....

2022 is so, so special and I don't think any of us will ever experience anything like it again.  Personally I'm not sure I want to. I remember stating how much I hated football throughout most of the Notts County game and all of the Wrexham game.  The joy at the end was unrivalled but the emotional rollercoaster to get there was horrific.

In terms of sliding doors moments, 2022 trumps anything.  Things like the Crocombe 'assist', the stupidity of the County defender to foul Clifton when it was easier to just stand up and prevent him from turning, the instant reaction from McAtee at Wrexham, the Hudlin removal from the game. 1998, just like 2016 definitely has them, but recency and the greater exposure definitely puts them even further in the shadow.

On reflection, there was some quite distinct parallels between 1998 and 2022.  Returning manager, calls for their head during the season, need/desire to bounce back straight away, the battle against a cash-rich/media loved side in the semi-finals...

Easy as Town fans to think we've had it excrement, to be fair we have!  But there are some truly wonderful moments I'm grateful I've witnessed as a Town fan.  It just adds something to me about a point on another thread about the increased numbers at games in the last 20 or so years. You can't beat live sport. I don't care what sport it is.  The spectacle, the anticipation, the adrenaline in the air, it's just magical.  But to see your team, the team you've worried about more than you really should have done go on and do something like that.  You just can't replicate that by randomly picking a side in the Prem to follow.

Well said. Two great posts from Poojah and Diehard there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 158
LocalLadGTFC
July 25, 2023, 11:36am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,223
Gold Stars: 137
It was criminal how bad we were in that first season, Connell was far far too good for that level. He had absolutely 0 pace, couldn't really jump, was built like a cheese string but my god what a footballer. All different type of goals from poaching to worldie free kicks. I wouldn't have Bogle in my NL dream team however, it'd be Amond Hearn and Connell for me. Liam Hearn is the best striker we've had imo, criminal that injuries ruined his career but he was unplayable. Pretty sure there was a run of 5 or so games where he scored like 12/13 goals, he had absolutely everything.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 65 - 158
sam gy
July 25, 2023, 11:43am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Feel like Bogle didn't set the world alight in the NL but was incredible in Lg 2

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 158
1mickylyons
July 25, 2023, 1:08pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC
It was criminal how bad we were in that first season, Connell was far far too good for that level. He had absolutely 0 pace, couldn't really jump, was built like a cheese string but my god what a footballer. All different type of goals from poaching to worldie free kicks. I wouldn't have Bogle in my NL dream team however, it'd be Amond Hearn and Connell for me. Liam Hearn is the best striker we've had imo, criminal that injuries ruined his career but he was unplayable. Pretty sure there was a run of 5 or so games where he scored like 12/13 goals, he had absolutely everything.

Great Post

Liam Hearn had it all and in terms of genuine excitement watching a Town player second only to John Oster for me in the last 25 years .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 158
Abdul19
July 25, 2023, 2:00pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from sam gy
Feel like Bogle didn't set the world alight in the NL but was incredible in Lg 2

Yeah, he started and finished NL well, but had a 6 month spell in the middle where he scored once (Alty at home IIRC).

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 158
Mariner_09
July 25, 2023, 2:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Liam Hearn is the most talented player I have seen play for Grimsby Town, bar none.

He had everything. He was quick, he was strong, he's the best one-on-one finisher we've had in my time, he could create chances for himself, he could score tap ins. He was outscoring Jamie Vardy don't forget, in a poorer side at a younger age during that 11/12 season.

We missed out on a monster payday at some stage due to those cruel injuries.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 158
Mappers
July 25, 2023, 3:01pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Great Post

Liam Hearn had it all and in terms of genuine excitement watching a Town player second only to John Oster for me in the last 25 years .

Steve Kabba , David Neilson,  Quick Mick and Reddy  got me off my feet within that period - we have had some brilliant forward players .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 158
LocalLadGTFC
July 25, 2023, 3:11pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Mariner_09

Liam Hearn is the most talented player I have seen play for Grimsby Town, bar none.

He had everything. He was quick, he was strong, he's the best one-on-one finisher we've had in my time, he could create chances for himself, he could score tap ins. He was outscoring Jamie Vardy don't forget, in a poorer side at a younger age during that 11/12 season.

We missed out on a monster payday at some stage due to those cruel injuries.

Pretty sure there was reports of him being linked to like Chelsea and Reading etc at the time, but yeah he was sensational. I remember his return, the roar of the crowd made my hairs on my neck stand up and then he flip flapped someone in the lower corner and then scored, I thought he'd put it all behind him and then he gets injured again. Criminal because he was so so good and criminal we didn't go up with him.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 71 - 158
pontoonlew
July 25, 2023, 5:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,041
Gold Stars: 177
Said it a few times but it’s absolutely criminal how some people in our fan base have underrated McAtee’s contributions based on last season where he was often played out of position. I’ve watched us for close to 30 years and I’ve not seen many more talented than him.

One that does come close is Hearn, so sad what happened in the end because he was absolutely flipping electric.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 158
Rick12
July 25, 2023, 7:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew
Said it a few times but it’s absolutely criminal how some people in our fan base have underrated McAtee’s contributions based on last season where he was often played out of position. I’ve watched us for close to 30 years and I’ve not seen many more talented than him.

That's some commitment 👍. Of interest who is the most naturally gifted player you've seen. Have to say from the little I've seen of Town ( tend to watch 1-2 games) due to geographic position,finance and age Scott Neilson and Siriki Dembélé of recent times stood out probably in that order.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 158
Maringer
July 25, 2023, 11:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Hearn was a good striker before injuries got to him, but he was not at all quick. It's really bizarre how so many fans think this and I really don't understand why. He had really good close-control, and a knack of beating a defender with skill but he never ran away from defences in the way that the likes of Boulding, Kabba and Reddy could.

Not sure how much footage of his time with us is still readily-available, but it would be interesting to see exactly how he scored his goals and work out which ones did (or didn't) rely on pace to create the chance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 158
bawarmy
July 26, 2023, 12:26am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Approval: +2,020
Gold Stars: 33
Legend. That is all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 158
Wemble1998
July 26, 2023, 4:37am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: -95
Gold Stars: 5
Don't forget Johhny Oster ,what a player, ,Gary Birtles,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 158
blackandwhitelaces
July 26, 2023, 5:22am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +152
Very salty over on the Lincoln site they say on that showing we are going to struggle this season .🫢🫢

made in cleethorpes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 158
Marinerdan
July 26, 2023, 6:29am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 17
Wrexham have just lost Mullin for 2-3 months with broken ribs and a collapsed lung. May force their hand to go for another striker.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 158
aldi_01
July 26, 2023, 6:37am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Marinerdan
Wrexham have just lost Mullin for 2-3 months with broken ribs and a collapsed lung. May force their hand to go for another striker.

It’s ok though, they’ve sold lots of shirts in middle America and made a few quid, losing the star striker won’t matter.

As for Hearn, good player, great bloke and natural finisher but I suspect he’s a player that’s improved since he stopped playing for us.

I may be wrong but it felt like he scored in a 6 month period in the middle of the season rather than consistently across the full season.

What is sad, and shows you how far we well is when we’re sat here talking about hero players, players that carried the team at times…at conference level. Not those players fault but still…we talk about Cunnington, Drinkall, Mendonca, Groves et al as being GTFC heroes but the latter of that list players at a significantly higher level and still stood out.

As for Mcatee, no doubt one of the most exciting players I’ve seen play for town, he did score when it mattered and he was a talisman at times. You can’t ask for more than that, he earned is move and good look to him.

He does need to think about the raving and the likes though because it would be a travesty if he never got to have a go higher up because of off field stuff…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 158
mariner91
July 26, 2023, 7:01am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from blackandwhitelaces
Very salty over on the Lincoln site they say on that showing we are going to struggle this season .🫢🫢

Wouldn’t worry about what they say, 80% of them have only been following football for 5 years.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 158
LocalLadGTFC
July 26, 2023, 12:12pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
Hearn was a good striker before injuries got to him, but he was not at all quick. It's really bizarre how so many fans think this and I really don't understand why. He had really good close-control, and a knack of beating a defender with skill but he never ran away from defences in the way that the likes of Boulding, Kabba and Reddy could.

Not sure how much footage of his time with us is still readily-available, but it would be interesting to see exactly how he scored his goals and work out which ones did (or didn't) rely on pace to create the chance.

Hearn was really really quick, especially over the first ten yards, decievingly so. He had such a powerful running stance aswell.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 81 - 158
ivanosandwich
July 26, 2023, 12:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +1,470
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Hearn was really really quick, especially over the first ten years, decievingly so. He had such a powerful running stance aswell.

I was quick at 10, not so much now at 58.

We knew what you meant but I couldn't resist it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 158
diehardmariner
July 26, 2023, 1:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
That spell after he broke his duck, Hearn was just sensational to watch.  Every time he got the ball you just felt like something was going to happen.  

Always a thing that was thrown at him was that he was a flat track bully.  Town finished 11th that season, Hearn only managed 3 goals against the 10 sides that finished above us.  That's from a total of 27 in the league.  

Easy stat to throw out there and doesn't take into account that we only took 3 points all season from the top 5 (no top 7 back then).  

Had he not suffered that initial injury he would have gone onto great heights, I'm convinced of that.  I'm not sure exactly what it was, but he just had 'it'.
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 158
Rick12
July 26, 2023, 1:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner

I'm not sure exactly what it was, but he just had 'it'.
I get that sentiment.Sometimes in world cups or the European championships or even watching pro football you see players who you take a liking to . For me its raw passion mixed with ability. I saw it in the european championships/world cups of the top of my head recently with Jeremy Doku and Renato Sanches of Belgium and Portugal respectively.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 158
Maringer
July 26, 2023, 6:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Hearn was really really quick, especially over the first ten yards, decievingly so. He had such a powerful running stance aswell.

He really wasn't. He just wasn't quick . Lots of good attributes, but pace wasn't one of them. Not slow, but he beat defenders by skill, not through pace.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 158
ginnywings
July 26, 2023, 6:36pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Maringer

He really wasn't. He just wasn't quick . Lots of good attributes, but pace wasn't one of them. Not slow, but he beat defenders by skill, not through pace.

I think you must be Billy Whizz.

You think everyone is slow.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 158
forza ivano
July 26, 2023, 8:33pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,204
Quoted from Rick12
I get that sentiment.Sometimes in world cups or the European championships or even watching pro football you see players who you take a liking to . For me its raw passion mixed with ability. I saw it in the european championships/world cups of the top of my head recently with Jeremy Doku and Renato Sanches of Belgium and Portugal respectively.

Dunno why you got 3 red crosses for a sensible post. I agree, watching Jude Bellingham for the first time was the same
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 158
Maringer
July 26, 2023, 9:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
In my youth, I was quick! Sprinted for the school, etc.
I was a full-back and marked many more skilful players than me out of the game by dint of simply being quicker than them and not giving up if they got past me.

On the odd occasion where I faced an opponent who was as quick as me but more skilful, that's when I struggled.

What really brought home the importance of pace to me was when we played Leicester at Filbert Street in the League Cup in 1999. Although he wasn't scoring too many that season, Jack Lester had developed into a real handful and I was expecting him to cause the Leicester defence all sorts of problems. On the night, Taggart (who I thought was a clodhopper from what I'd seen of him playing on TV, even though he was a full. International) was just way too quick and strong for Lester, who couldn't get a kick. They also had a young Emile Heskey up front and, though he did a lot of falling over to win lots of soft free-kicks, our defenders couldn't cope with his pace and movement when he wasn't on his backside. It was a comfortable a home win as I'd seen and it really made me realise how important the physical side of things are in the professional game.

This explains my thinking as regards pace and footballers. You can learn to be more skilful, you can work harder, you can improve your fitness, you can improve your overall gameplay, but if you're not quick enough in thought and deed, you'll rarely make it at a higher level. This is especially true for attackers. Yes, you get the odd outlier such as Le Tissier, who had enough ability to get away with a lack of pace, but the vast majority of players at the top level are quicker than you'd think - even the ones who look sluggish against their peers on TV.

When Hearn hit his purple patch and people were claiming Chelsea were potentially in for him, I just laughed. The one thing he lacked (injuries aside), was pace and he'd never have made it higher than the lower divisions, even if he'd stayed fit. I'm sure I would have argued the same on here at the time, because he simply wasn't at all quick.

To bring it back mildly on topic I think McAtee is quick enough for, perhaps, Championship level! Certainly quicker and more nimble than Hearn ever was, in my opinion, of course!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 158
Poojah
July 26, 2023, 9:58pm
Vodka Drinker
McAtee came off the bench again last night in Luton’s friendly match away at Ipswich, in Colchester (no idea why).

A fair bit of chatter on the Avenue of Evil that he might well make the 25 man squad, too.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 158
Lincoln Mariner 56
July 26, 2023, 10:13pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Quoted from Poojah
McAtee came off the bench again last night in Luton’s friendly match away at Ipswich, in Colchester (no idea why).

A fair bit of chatter on the Avenue of Evil that he might well make the 25 man squad, too.

May well be a case of playing with better players allows to use his undoubted natural ability. It is often hard for us to judge how good a player is, or rather how good he could be, when performing for Town as obviously he is surrounded by players who are playing at their correct level subject to their ability.

As I stated earlier in this thread I don’t doubt his ability but picking up on the rumours that circulate on different networks it’s his attitude and maybe more importantly his level of commitment that is questionable.

Maybe given his brother appears to be making into Man City’s squad this season a bit of sibling rivalry will ensure John achieves his potential.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 158
Norseman
July 26, 2023, 11:56pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 48
Parkinson wanted him before Luton .Will be terrible for other league 2 clubs if he goes there .On his day a very good player
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 158
ginnywings
July 27, 2023, 12:42am

Recovering Alcoholic
When all's said and done, Luton thought enough of him to pay a fee for him. Not a big fee, but I think Luton know what they are about, seeing as they have climbed from Non League to Premier League on a small fan base, and I would imagine, not a massive budget.

They have obviously got a very good recruitment model, picking up players for modest fees and getting the best out of them.

I hope he has a great career and proves a few doubters wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 158
golfer
July 27, 2023, 9:02am
Vodka Drinker
Once he gets in the Luton 1st team he will stay there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 158
Norseman
July 27, 2023, 11:48pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from ginnywings
When all's said and done, Luton thought enough of him to pay a fee for him. Not a big fee, but I think Luton know what they are about, seeing as they have climbed from Non League to Premier League on a small fan base, and I would imagine, not a massive budget.

They have obviously got a very good recruitment model, picking up players for modest fees and getting the best out of them.

I hope he has a great career and proves a few doubters wrong.

They did sign Pepple 🤣🤣
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 158
thefish
July 28, 2023, 7:02am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,267
Gold Stars: 67
Quoted from golfer
Once he gets in the Luton 1st team he will stay there.

In the Premiership? I’d be surprised!

He may well make it as a solid League One - possibly even Championship - striker… but I’d be amazed if he has the quality to play in the Premiership! Remember, his best football for us wasn’t even in the football league. There is a huge difference between doing it against Dover and doing it against Manchester City.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 158
grimps
July 28, 2023, 7:09am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,129
Gold Stars: 46
Well if he does manage a few Prem games for Luton he’ll be worth a lot more if they ever let him go.
This would be beneficial for us assuming we’ve got a sell on clause
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 158
thefish
July 28, 2023, 7:16am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,267
Gold Stars: 67
Quoted from grimps
Well if he does manage a few Prem games for Luton he’ll be worth a lot more if they ever let him go.
This would be beneficial for us assuming we’ve got a sell on clause

If that’s the case, let’s hope he puts Haaland in his place…
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 158
Rick12
July 28, 2023, 10:04am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

Dunno why you got 3 red crosses for a sensible post. I agree, watching Jude Bellingham for the first time was the same
In life Forza I feel you cant please everyone.Nigh on impossible  .

As for Jude Bellingham by all accounts has started well and Carlo Ancelotti is pleased so far. Hope he can handle the pressure though at Real Madrid.That club is probably the best in the world. The wages they pay are something else.Average wage there is £8.5 million annually .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 158
coddy60
July 28, 2023, 7:04pm

Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +652
Quoted from thefish

If that’s the case, let’s hope he puts Haaland in his place…

Surely, from The Fish, it should be hope he puts Haaland in his plaice?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 158
Abdul19
July 28, 2023, 8:11pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from Rick12
The wages they pay are something else.Average wage there is £8.5 million annually .

Not something else these days. Reckon Tom Dickson-Peters would take home £6m a year in Saudi.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 158
Rick12
July 29, 2023, 8:19am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19

Not something else these days. Reckon Tom Dickson-Peters would take home £6m a year in Saudi.
Money wise Real Madrid are rolling in it though .A quick look at Forbes and their revenue is £628 million in the year 2023 which tops the list of richest football clubs. Likewise their top earner is Toni Kroos who earns a basic annual salary of £21 million annually and their lowest earner now Reinier £515,000 annually following the departure of Blanco to Alaves in May of this year.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 158
jimgtfc
August 3, 2023, 11:05am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,090
Came on as a sub for Luton last night in one of their last pre season friendlies against Wolves. He impressed by all accounts and has done a few times, not gone out on loan yet, wonder if there actually is a chance he’ll be named in their PL squad.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 158
Poojah
August 3, 2023, 11:15am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from jimgtfc
Came on as a sub for Luton last night in one of their last pre season friendlies against Wolves. He impressed by all accounts and has done a few times, not gone out on loan yet, wonder if there actually is a chance he’ll be named in their PL squad.

Got almost 30 minutes last night. I think he’s played in all of Luton’s pre-season games, and was one of just 18 players to feature against Wolves.

It looks more likely than not he’s going to get a space in the squad, which would be absolutely fantastic for the lad. Probably not a bad thing for us in the long run either, but from the National League to the Premier League in the space of 14 months would be an absolutely incredible story for John McAtee. Good luck to him!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 158
Maringer
August 3, 2023, 11:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
It would be a pleasant surprise following a disappointing season for us last year. Could be a case that he's one of those players who does much, much better when in a higher quality team. It would be good to see him score one or two on MoTD this season!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 158
BeijingMariner
August 3, 2023, 11:26am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Approval: +1,677
Gold Stars: 40
There's a thread on the Outlaws site where someone is musing on a rumour that he is going to Sixfields. No-one had confirmed or rubbished it
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 105 - 158
Davec
August 3, 2023, 12:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from BeijingMariner
There's a thread on the Outlaws site where someone is musing on a rumour that he is going to Sixfields. No-one had confirmed or rubbished it

My Northampton supporting mate mentioned that the other day to me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 158
Brummie Codfather
August 3, 2023, 1:06pm
Beer Drinker
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +852
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from Davec

My Northampton supporting mate mentioned that the other day to me.

Sounds a load of old Cobblers to me
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 158
acko338
August 3, 2023, 1:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,223
Gold Stars: 33
Taylor could read McAtee's moves and runs and vice versa, and this why they played so well together at the National League level.

McAtee got frustrated with several players not reading his runs or passes, and I feel that Hunt suffered the same when playing last season.

If McAtee has decent players around him to feed or play off him, then he has great potential to impress / improve.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 158
MuddyWaters
August 3, 2023, 1:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from acko338
Taylor could read McAtee's moves and runs and vice versa, and this why they played so well together at the National League level.

McAtee got frustrated with several players not reading his runs or passes, and I feel that Hunt suffered the same when playing last season.

If McAtee has decent players around him to feed or play off him, then he has great potential to impress / improve.

Perfectly feasible. Our lack of off the ball movement last season was woeful. All of our attacking signings are far more mobile.
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 158
Brazilnut
August 10, 2023, 11:57am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 30
Seems he has been given squad number 21 for this season

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 158
lukeo
August 10, 2023, 12:04pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from Poojah

Got almost 30 minutes last night. I think he’s played in all of Luton’s pre-season games, and was one of just 18 players to feature against Wolves.

It looks more likely than not he’s going to get a space in the squad, which would be absolutely fantastic for the lad. Probably not a bad thing for us in the long run either, but from the National League to the Premier League in the space of 14 months would be an absolutely incredible story for John McAtee. Good luck to him!

Very much looking forward to seeing how his career goes. I hope he does get opportunities.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 158
Son of Cod
August 10, 2023, 12:26pm
Champagne Drinker
Edwards still making his mind up it seems...

https://www.lutontoday.co.uk/s.....im%20out%20on%20loan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 158
toontown
August 10, 2023, 12:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
From that sounds like he us trying to decide between keeping him as a fringe player who might sometimes be on the bench and used, and him getting a lot more minutes potentially but at a lower level on loan. I hope they keep him there and he gets a chance of a crack in the premiership.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 158
It Bites
August 12, 2023, 2:11pm
Champagne Drinker
Fair play to the lad
Luton XI: Kaminski (GK), Kabore, Lockyer, Andersen, Giles, Adebayo, Nakamba, Chong, Mpanzu, Bell, Morris.

Subs: Shea (GK), Ogbene, Berry, Woodrow, Brown, McAtee, Campbell, Francis-Clarke, Doughty
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 158
Maringer
August 12, 2023, 2:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
You got to hand it to him, he must have really knuckled down over the summer and worked hard to impress. After he was pretty disappointing for us last season, I didn't think he'd get near their first team. Let's hope he makes the most of his chance - would get GTFC mentioned a lot in the media which might help attact other talented young players to sign or come on loan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 158
toontown
August 12, 2023, 2:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from It Bites
Fair play to the lad
Luton XI: Kaminski (GK), Kabore, Lockyer, Andersen, Giles, Adebayo, Nakamba, Chong, Mpanzu, Bell, Morris.

Subs: Shea (GK), Ogbene, Berry, Woodrow, Brown, McAtee, Campbell, Francis-Clarke, Doughty

Brilliant for him, well done macca - an appearance in the prem probably nets town a wedge too!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 158
jamesgtfc
August 12, 2023, 2:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,967
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from It Bites
Fair play to the lad

I hope we put a Premier League appearance bonus in there, however slim that possibility looked 12 months ago.

I really hope he gets on and takes his chance. A couple of Premier League goals ought to increase his value a bit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 158
DB
August 12, 2023, 2:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
Well done to the lad, he got a chance, so I hope he takes it.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 158
DaleH
August 13, 2023, 12:32am
Beer Drinker
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +816
Gold Stars: 168
Delighted for him.
Just over a calendar year ago he was playing National League football. Today he’s on the bench in the Premier League.

That’s absolutely incredible really.

After the job he did for our football club, there shouldn’t be a Town supporter that isn’t delighted for him and fully behind him.

Time to resurrect my Fishy signature again. So here goes.

"BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 158
ginnywings
August 13, 2023, 9:02am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from DaleH
Delighted for him.
Just over a calendar year ago he was playing National League football. Today he’s on the bench in the Premier League.

That’s absolutely incredible really.

After the job he did for our football club, there shouldn’t be a Town supporter that isn’t delighted for him and fully behind him.

Apart from those of course who said he was overrated and would no way get in a Prem team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 158
fishboyUTM
August 14, 2023, 10:30am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,068
Gold Stars: 40
Good luck to him. He gave his all for us every game he played and we probably wouldn't be in the EFL now if it wasn't for John. He wasn't great last season, but he was playing catchup after his shoulder operation, and I'm not sure our system helped him a great deal either. Looked too desperate to impress at times and forced passes, but he will be playing with better players who can read his passes and vice versa. Will be a very difficult season for Luton though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 158
lew chaterleys lover
August 24, 2023, 7:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Gone to Barnsley on a season long loan, if Twitter is to be believed.
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 158
mariner tommy
August 24, 2023, 8:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,871
Gone to Barnsley on a season long loan, if Twitter is to be believed.

https://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/20232/august/mcatee-joins-the-reds/

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 158
ginnywings
August 24, 2023, 8:14pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Ee bah gum!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 158
Abdul19
August 24, 2023, 8:14pm

Season Ticket Holder
Great move for him, that.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 158
CSLM
August 24, 2023, 8:21pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +642
Gold Stars: 12
Good for him.

1 league higher each year only leads to one place.

He had quality that we hadn't seen for a long time.

They way Kamil is going though he could be on another level completely.

Good luck John.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 158
lukeo
August 24, 2023, 9:00pm
Season Ticket Holder
Fair play, very good and sensible move for him and I hope he continues his progression. Very likeable bloke
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 158
pizzzza
August 24, 2023, 9:19pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Took a look at the Barnsley forum to see their reaction  

Quoted Text
Great signing he looked great for the blades last season.
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 158
aldi_01
August 25, 2023, 6:44am

Barley Wine Drinker
Great move for him that, without looking I dare say the flat cappers will probably think he’s shite or whatever…you’d think after the summer they had they’d be happy to get anyone.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 158
Mariner16
August 25, 2023, 8:03am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 4
Going to be weird seeing him against us in the Pizza Cup in a few weeks time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 158
Maringer
August 25, 2023, 8:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
I'll certainly not be seeing him and I doubt many others will, either!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 158
golfer
August 25, 2023, 9:07am
Vodka Drinker
I might go ------just to see him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 158
aldi_01
August 25, 2023, 9:10am

Barley Wine Drinker
Yeh, weird that he’s likely to play against us and barely anyone will see it. Shame really, whatever anyone thinks, the lad will live long in the memory of town fans…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 158
Epworth Mariner
August 25, 2023, 10:22am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +646
Gold Stars: 57
Dallas there as well …..

Good combination I reckon…..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 158
toontown
August 25, 2023, 10:37am
Whiskey Drinker
I'm a bit disappointed by this, I was hoping he would be on the fringe of the luton squad and get the odd appearance from the bench in a premiership game or two. Then it'd just be a matter of taking his chance - unlikely to make a sufficient case to be a regular but you never know and I'd have loved to see it. Plus a bonus for town perhaps

Ah well, a season in league 1 might well be better for his career development I suppose.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 158
toontown
August 25, 2023, 10:39am
Whiskey Drinker
At least its not Wrexham or Lincoln though
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 158
Northbank Mariner
August 26, 2023, 7:22am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,472
Gold Stars: 171
After watching Luton last night I don't think Macatee would look out of place in that squad, talk about a long seadon for their fans, Luton will truly be the whipping boys, Macatee is probably going to at least win the odd game at Barnsley.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 158
lukeo
August 26, 2023, 7:51am
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
After watching Luton last night I don't think Macatee would look out of place in that squad, talk about a long seadon for their fans, Luton will truly be the whipping boys, Macatee is probably going to at least win the odd game at Barnsley.

It had fa cup game feel about it. They were really poor. Some players couldn't pass and looked clumsy
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 158
Rick12
August 26, 2023, 7:59am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from toontown
I'm a bit disappointed by this, I was hoping he would be on the fringe of the luton squad and get the odd appearance from the bench in a premiership game or two. Then it'd just be a matter of taking his chance - unlikely to make a sufficient case to be a regular but you never know and I'd have loved to see it.

My thoughts as well. The fact Luton have bought him and then lent him out on loan twice especially  for a season is surprising especially the news that came out yesterday in going to Barnsley. Hes 24 as well which in football terms is a time to start thinking about nailing down a regular place in the side. Hard I know as very few spaces up for grabs in a highly competitive field much more than other professions which some fans don't fully appreciate .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 158
aldi_01
August 26, 2023, 8:35am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from lukeo

It had fa cup game feel about it. They were really poor. Some players couldn't pass and looked clumsy

I sent the same message to my mate. I admire Luton, their rise is something that gives hope to fans of clubs like ours, that smaller clubs can, with the right objectives and careful ambition can reach the promised land but they look awful.

Perhaps they’ll find their feet and their first two away games have been difficult places to go. I guess the worry is that games will have that feel we had at Brighton, that it’s a good day out and we enjoyed ourselves, only it can’t be that mentality, it’s the league they’re in.

At home they are probably more likely to pick up the odd point but they’re wide open.

Having seen them twice, I think Mcatee could probably be no worse and his arrogance may be inject something but for him, a loan move to a team that will win more than it loses is a good move and perhaps he’ll end up with a Connor Townsend type career and find his niche in the championship next year…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 158
Heisenberg
August 26, 2023, 8:38am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,069
Gold Stars: 93
I’m with those who are disappointed for him. Great club, Barnsley, and should get their act together and mount a challenge, but as has been said he’s 24, not a kid. Bit disappointed that Luton have felt this necessary. Mind you, he’ll hit the ground running next season in the championship with Luton!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 158
TheRealJohnLewis
August 26, 2023, 8:46am
Fine Wine Drinker
He was always heading for a pushing League 2 team or a basket case League 1, so not surprised at this move at all. Let's hope they get the National League McAtee and not the one we had last season.
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 158
Rick12
August 26, 2023, 9:02am
Vodka Drinker
He was always heading for a pushing League 2 team or a basket case League 1, so not surprised at this move at all. Let's hope they get the National League McAtee and not the one we had last season.
Still hope he can play as high as possible talent permitting. If I had a lad who was absolute quality who as much as I have love for Grimsby I wouldn't want him playing for  where the money comparatively speaking in football terms is low but rather him be at a Man City,PSG ,Real Madrid or Man United etc. I think when it comes down to it footballers given the ability would feel the same.Saw this recently from Jude Bellingham when he signed for Real Madrid:

“I think I’d always been aware of the interest from English teams and so that was pretty normal, but it was a bit of a surprise when my dad sat me down and said there was interest from Real Madrid. I think that was maybe 12 or 15 months ago. When he said that, I had goosebumps"

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 158
ginnywings
August 26, 2023, 10:35am

Recovering Alcoholic
Judging Luton against Chelsea is harsh. The Chelsea second 11 would probably beat them, maybe even a third 11.

Luton player spend 30 million.

Chelsea player spend 3 billion.

I thought Luton acquitted themselves quite well for most of the game and McAtee wouldn't have made much difference.

It's hard to criticise Luton's decision to let McAtee go out on loan. They seem to know what they are doing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 158
Les Brechin
August 26, 2023, 11:02am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,713
Gold Stars: 174
Makes you wonder why they actually bought him in the first place.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 158
DB
August 26, 2023, 11:15am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
He did a good job for us and brought us in an undisclosed amount of cash. I wish him well and hope he succeeds at Barnsley, gets his head down and becomes a prem player.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 158
pen penfras
August 26, 2023, 11:31am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Les Brechin

Doubt they expected to go up and doubt they thought he'd be poor in L2 after his previous season. If he does well in L1 this season, he might be part of their Championship squad next season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 158
LocalLadGTFC
August 26, 2023, 4:54pm
Cocktail Drinker
Scored on his debut
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 148 - 158
LocalLadGTFC
August 26, 2023, 5:01pm
Cocktail Drinker
But he had a mixed afternoon after missing an open goal

Tweet 1695459036291088627 will appear here...
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 149 - 158
Mappers
August 27, 2023, 7:57am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin

They probably thought they would be league 1 by the time he arrived there , they went the other way .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 158
bedders78
August 27, 2023, 8:45am
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 12
Did he ever pull out a backflip for us or did Luton send him to gymnastics club over the summer?

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 158
Heisenberg
August 27, 2023, 9:26am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,069
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from bedders78
Did he ever pull out a backflip for us or did Luton send him to gymnastics club over the summer?

I was wondering exactly the same! Just seen his goal, didn’t expect the backflip at all!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 158
Hagrid
August 27, 2023, 9:37am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,423
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from bedders78

First goal against Weymouth. Only time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 158
Poojah
August 27, 2023, 9:43am
Vodka Drinker
3:45. David Nielsen still holds the record for most impressive celebratory backflip in a Town shirt.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 158
toontown
August 27, 2023, 9:57am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

First goal against Weymouth. Only time

Think Hurst banned him from doing them as thought it was an injury risk
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 158
TonySmith
August 27, 2023, 3:08pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 11
If Luton are being pragmatic, they're probably thinking that a year- long loan for McAtee at Barnsley will prepare him to be part of their team next year when they're back in the Championship. Nice to see him score on his Barnsley debut yesterday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 158
ex-merseymariner
August 27, 2023, 4:26pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Poojah
3:45. David Nielsen still holds the record for most impressive celebratory backflip in a Town shirt.

How about shaleum logan as a close 2nd?

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 158
Son of Cod
August 28, 2023, 3:33pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from toontown

Think Hurst banned him from doing them as thought it was an injury risk

Yep, Hursty banned him. McAtee clearly been chomping at the bit to do this for two whole seasons.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 158
16 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.