16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
thornemariner
July 23, 2023, 6:07pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +658
Gold Stars: 22
All this mention of that game at Wrexham. Just watched it again!

In over forty years of watching the Mariners, I have never seen anything like it. Put a smile on my face on an otherwise dreary day!
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 158
July 23, 2023, 6:19pm
Guest User
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

I'm the opposite, I think he's vastly overrated by a lot of our fans and doesn't deserve the god-like status bestowed upon him by some. He had a brilliant season in non-league and last season he wasn't far off the player that Scunny fans told us we were getting. He has yet to prove he's more than anything more than a flash in the pan. Only time will tell and hopefully, he proves me wrong.

Well that's why you are not a professional football manager, and I would hazard a guess that the manager of the PREMIER league team that own him, and quite a few on this forum, could care less about your opinion.

Reply: 31 - 158
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
July 23, 2023, 6:38pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from 123614

Well that's why you are not a professional football manager, and I would hazard a guess that the manager of the PREMIER league team that own him, and quite a few on this forum, could care less about your opinion.

'kinell mate take a bloody chill pill will ya. Although I disagree with Mr. Lewis opinion on this, it is only his opinion. It seems you are berating him for having an opinion. It's what a message board is all about. You really are a cantankerous old curmudgeon, in my opinion of course.

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 158
Maringer
July 23, 2023, 7:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,553
Gold Stars: 185
I think McAtee needs to be receiving the ball facing the opposition goal and when his team on the front foot to show his best. He scored a cracker of a goal last season on one of the few occasions this happened for him at BP (but I seem to think we may have lost the game!), but we rarely got him into the right positions.

I think he's probably one of those players who will do much, much better in a stronger side than prior form might indicate. Thinking like players such as Dwight Yorke when I say this - a good striker at Villa who moved up several levels after the move to Manyoo.

Of course, whether he gets the chance in such a side or makes the most of it if he does, is a different matter...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 158
Poojah
July 23, 2023, 7:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,588
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from Maringer
I think McAtee needs to be receiving the ball facing the opposition goal and when his team on the front foot to show his best. He scored a cracker of a goal last season on one of the few occasions this happened for him at BP (but I seem to think we may have lost the game!), but we rarely got him into the right positions.

This one? 0:50.

We drew 1-1.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 158
Mappers
July 23, 2023, 7:27pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,333
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from ginnywings

Isn't that very essence of under estimating his talent and not opposite at all?

My opinion is that there is a real player in there, but he could go either way.

A Scott Neilson or a John Oster , could go either way .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 158
Theimperialcoroner
July 23, 2023, 7:43pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,209
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from moosey_club

Can still use it.....just make the words detrimental instead of praising 😁

Or even better for Efete

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 158
ginnywings
July 23, 2023, 7:46pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,145
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from 123614

The spirit of Victor Meldrew lives on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 158
marinerjase
July 23, 2023, 7:54pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,656
Gold Stars: 147
I hope McAtee does well..wherever that is. Far too often we look to knock/judge instead of just enjoying or appreciating someone with talent/ability - in any sport.

In my humble opinion McAtee had season of his life here, he may not repeat it - or he may well do - I hope it’s the latter. He was imperative to us getting promoted, has an ‘aura/belief’ about him on his day, the ability to produce something out of nothing, and had a decent work rate. Last season just didn’t happen..post injury, move ..maybe factors..but hope he can show his ability as said. Must be said our management team deserve acknowledgment on JM - arguably got his career going again, and probably not the easiest to ‘manage’.

Anyway ..good luck to him wherever he goes as says.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 158
SouthLakesMariner
July 23, 2023, 11:22pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +939
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from It Bites

This is exactly how I feel about him . I've seen people on here call him a town legend 😅. He was great in non league but so was Arnold , Connel and hearn

It depends how you are defining “legend”. Some would say to be a footballing legend, alongside footballing impact, you must have served your club or country for a significant period of time - clearly John McAtee doesn’t fit the Town legend criteria in the way Matt Tees, Joe Waters, Paul Groves or more recently Craig Disley did.

However, another footballing legend criteria may relate to a specific achievement - think the England eleven from 1966, or even a single performance - think David Beckham’s performance against Greece that earned England qualification to a World Cup Finals competition.

John McAtee would fit two out of three of those criteria for GTFC legendary status.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 158
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.