This thread currently has 30,174 views. Print
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
July 23, 2023, 11:52pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,075
Gold Stars: 198

Did a great job for us but I can see him following the same path as Omar Bogle unfortunately.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 158
coddy60
July 24, 2023, 7:01am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +652
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from promotion plaice

Did a great job for us but I can see him following the same path as Omar Bogle unfortunately.

I wouldn't have thought so, he has a great support network of sporting family members, who will keep him grounded, as much as they possibly can.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 158
aldi_01
July 24, 2023, 7:17am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from coddy60

I wouldn't have thought so, he has a great support network of sporting family members, who will keep him grounded, as much as they possibly can.

They need to tell him to get out the raves and his nose out the bag (allegedly) then else his career will be pretty short…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 158
Rick12
July 24, 2023, 9:38am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Potential is certainly there and now probably comes down to his level of commitment and how much he wants it.
Yes mindset is key. Not playing week in week out as will most likely happen at Luton will test his mental resolve. Will performances dip in training and  reserve games or will he knuckle down and try to keep standards high. Players that tend to do well have the belief in themselves and the necessary sacrifice to want to achieve and not let things get the better of them overall when the chips are down.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 158
mariner91
July 24, 2023, 10:16am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,656
Gold Stars: 262
McAtee was the crucial factor in us getting promoted out of non league at the first attempt. Firstly he scored a fair few goals and got a lot of assists or involvements with goals. Secondly, he set the tempo for the team leading from the front and pressing the opposition high and making them uncomfortable the whole game. Thirdly, and I think most importantly, he gave the team and the fans the confidence and belief that we could beat anyone. The team was visibly more assertive and dominant with him playing than if he wasn’t. And the belief in the crowd went up too, further upping the noise and creating an even greater uplift in the team. Everyone in the Town end knew he would score the equaliser against Solihull when he got through and you can’t put a price on having a player like that. I actually don’t think you can overestimate the difference having a fit and in form McAtee had on the team that season.

He wasn’t the best player we’ve ever had and nowhere near the longest serving. Furthermore, last season was a disappointment for a variety of reasons, nobody could deny that. But the role he played in what will be seen as a significant step for the club getting back on its feet was huge. Without him there was no promotion, without him we may have been non league for many more years and it’s doubtful there would have been an FA cup run and the positives that have come from that. And for that reason he is a GTFC legend.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 158
It Bites
July 24, 2023, 12:05pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,205
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from mariner91
McAtee was the crucial factor in us getting promoted out of non league at the first attempt. Firstly he scored a fair few goals and got a lot of assists or involvements with goals. Secondly, he set the tempo for the team leading from the front and pressing the opposition high and making them uncomfortable the whole game. Thirdly, and I think most importantly, he gave the team and the fans the confidence and belief that we could beat anyone. The team was visibly more assertive and dominant with him playing than if he wasn’t. And the belief in the crowd went up too, further upping the noise and creating an even greater uplift in the team. Everyone in the Town end knew he would score the equaliser against Solihull when he got through and you can’t put a price on having a player like that. I actually don’t think you can overestimate the difference having a fit and in form McAtee had on the team that season.

He wasn’t the best player we’ve ever had and nowhere near the longest serving. Furthermore, last season was a disappointment for a variety of reasons, nobody could deny that. But the role he played in what will be seen as a significant step for the club getting back on its feet was huge. Without him there was no promotion, without him we may have been non league for many more years and it’s doubtful there would have been an FA cup run and the positives that have come from that. And for that reason he is a GTFC legend.

Some of that might be true but Legend? No chance . Waterfall was far more important too the team and players like Mani and JMD helped get us over the line .
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 158
1mickylyons
July 24, 2023, 1:33pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
The word Legend gets thrown around like confetti Mcatee was brilliant for us in non league and a rare player to get the fans up out their seats but Legend?
Not for me I will follow his career with interest and feel he's much more a team player than Bogle and once he finds his level he will do well in the game . I  really hope the lad knuckles down and gets his chance with Luton but that step ups massive .Luton in fairness have a small number of players who have gone through the divisions so there is a path to follow for him.Goodluck
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 158
buckstown
July 24, 2023, 1:35pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,179
Gold Stars: 79
Can’t think of a single compelling reason why Luton would want to send him to a league two club on loan
The only explanation would be that they’ve already decided he’s not good enough and Wrexham are prepared to pay over the odds and take him on a permanent. If he’s going on loan it has to be a league one club surely
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 158
RonMariner
July 24, 2023, 1:38pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,718
Gold Stars: 226
He gave us some unforgettable moments in the most extraordinary sequence of games I have ever seen.

Whether you regard him as a legend or not, we will never forget that incredible fortnight and his part in it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 158
mariner91
July 24, 2023, 1:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,656
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from It Bites

Some of that might be true but Legend? No chance . Waterfall was far more important too the team and players like Mani and JMD helped get us over the line .

No. He wasn't. And the statistics bear that out. That's not disputing that Waterfall played a major part but the period where McAtee was out of form or injured we were atrocious and barely got a point.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 158
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.