16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
July 24, 2023, 2:01pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,834
Gold Stars: 222
McAtee was head and shoulders above as a player in the conference and deserved all the praise he got.

Last season he never really got started with his injury and lack of form.

He does have above average talent and should be playing in either league 1 or even the championship .

The premiere league is however a step too far in my opinion .

As for Calling him a legend that is a.no no he did not stay with us long enough to join that club.

Macca mark 1 , Rafferty, Waters, Ford , Drinkell, Cumming and a good few more deserve being hailed as legends as they did the work over several years.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 158
MuddyWaters
July 24, 2023, 5:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
McAtee was fantastic in several games in the promotion season and bang average in others. He was pivotal in key moments however and deserved all the accolades and transfer that he got on the back of it. There’s a bundle of talent there without doubt, time will tell if he fulfills it.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 158
Theimperialcoroner
July 24, 2023, 5:08pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,276
Gold Stars: 102
Reading some of the posts on here it’s almost like people want him to fail. “He’ll be another Bogle” I really hope he goes and smashes it. He has the ability, and if managed properly, then why not?
I’d rather he didn’t go the Wrexham but if he does he’d get a suitable welcome from me.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 158
Southwark Mariner
July 24, 2023, 5:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,562
Gold Stars: 83
He'll get worldwide coverage if he goes there and every time they talk about him joining, they'll mention how he helped Grimsby Town defeat Wrexham in the play-offs, prolonging their return one more year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 158
Son of Cod
July 24, 2023, 6:08pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from It Bites

Some of that might be true but Legend? No chance . Waterfall was far more important too the team and players like Mani and JMD helped get us over the line .

LOL. I love Waterfall to the point that I've opposed this opinion that his time is done at Town in recent weeks but let's not dress up his involvement in 21/22. Yes, he was quality but he could have been switched out for any number of big clogger CBs in the division at the time, they were borderline ten-a-penny. There was only one McAtee in the division and while the likes of Rodrigues, Mullin, Dallas and Sbarra all failed to get their teams through, our talisman dragged us over the line.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 158
Poojah
July 24, 2023, 6:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,756
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from Son of Cod

LOL. I love Waterfall to the point that I've opposed this opinion that his time is done at Town in recent weeks but let's not dress up his involvement in 21/22. Yes, he was quality but he could have been switched out for any number of big clogger CBs in the division at the time, they were borderline ten-a-penny. There was only one McAtee in the division and while the likes of Rodrigues, Mullin, Dallas and Sbarra all failed to get their teams through, our talisman dragged us over the line.

For me, the most remarkable thing about that play-off campaign was just how many great individual contributions there were in what was ultimately an incredible overarching team effort. Think back to Wembley '98 and Wayne Burnett and Kevin Donovon spring to mind above everyone else; think of the 2016 play-off final and it's Omar Bogle and Nathan Arnold. You just can't narrow the class of 21/22 down like that.

The Max Crocombe-assisted Holohan equaliser at the death at Notts County, followed by Mani's "I just fúcking threw my self at it" winner in the last minute of extra time, not to mention his goal at Wrexham a few days later. McAtee's worldie in immediate response to Mullin's cheap penalty. Taylor's fantastic diving header. Waterfall's brace, including another winner in the last minute of extra time. McAtee again, bursting through for the equaliser against Solihull, legs bursting with cramp. Maguire-Drew sneaking in at the back post for the winner from a Jordan Cropper missile; his throws of course being iconic moments in their own right.

And all of that's before we even get to the heroic midfield performances of the likes of Clifton and Fox et al, Crocombe's worldie save at London Stadium, or young Andy Smith not only playing through the whole play-off campaign like a seasoned pro, but seeing to our kryponite Kyle Hudlin in the process; yet another pivotal moment in a series of pivotal moments. Easy to forget that Smith was only 20 at the time, and had never played a senior league game prior to signing for us that January.

Remove any one of those incredible moments, literally any one of them, and it's possible if not probable that the final outcome would have been totally different. Holohan shanks his shot wide? We trudge out of Meadow Lane moments later, staring at the ground. McAtee spoons his long range effort over the bar? Maybe we don't find the belief that we can beat Wrexham, and we lose that game 3 or 4-0. Christ, Efete doesn't get injured earlier in the season, and we don't have Jordan Cropper on the pitch to launch his grenades in. Had we not gone up when we did, I think it's pretty likely we'd still be down there now too, and our prospects would look very different.

The whole thing was just so utterly bonkers, I still find it hard to believe that it happened, over a year on, especially when I write it out like that, step-by-step. It's that massive cliché, but you generally couldn't write a fictional story in that way without losing all credibility.

It was, quite literally, unbelievable…

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 158
RonMariner
July 24, 2023, 6:36pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,818
Gold Stars: 226
Say what you will about his legacy, but I doubt very much that we would have been promoted without him. We would most probably still be down there worrying about how to beat Chesterfeild,  Hartlepool and York to one of the promotion slots.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 158
forza ivano
July 24, 2023, 9:51pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from RonMariner
Say what you will about his legacy, but I doubt very much that we would have been promoted without him. We would most probably still be down there worrying about how to beat Chesterfeild,  Hartlepool and York to one of the promotion slots.

Very true, but equally I wonder if he'd even make it into a GTFC best non league XI - I'd certainly put Amond & Bogle in front of him, & you could argue that Alan Connell was equally as important
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 158
Mappers
July 24, 2023, 10:02pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,474
Gold Stars: 119
I liked them at the time we went up , I love the lot of them even more now with the daft money still flying around the NL it's never going to be easy to get out of for anyone ; thank god everything alligned at the right time for us along with the lads stepping up .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 158
Mappers
July 24, 2023, 10:03pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,474
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from RonMariner

Exactly Ron and York have just paid 250k for a striker .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 158
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.