Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Mcatee

This thread currently has 30,172 views. Print
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
July 23, 2023, 2:50pm
Guest User
Quoted from aldi_01

For what? A player that had a great season with us, played a great part in getting us up moving on?

Let’s face it, his contribution last year was minimal for a number of factors, some his own fault.

He’s gone to Luton, he clearly won’t be in their plans so he’s gonna go somewhere on loan. Is he ready for league 1? Probably not, or is it a case of few teams coming in for him?

All the best to him, perhaps if he sorts himself out off the pitch and with some better coaching he’ll improve and have a decent career in the championship. At this stage it’s all a bit Bogle to me…

I liked him a lot. First genuinely “off the seat” player we’ve had in years. Not enamoured with the prospect of seeing him against us in his first season away. Let me feel sorry for myself for a couple of days.
Reply: 20 - 158
ska face
July 23, 2023, 2:57pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
My only regret with Mcatee is I’ve only just realised today how easy it would be to fit his name into the tune of “Let it Be” by The Beatles. Fûcksake.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 158
toontown
July 23, 2023, 3:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from RichMariner
The issue I have with this potential move is that it kind of takes something away from that victory at Wrexham.

Don't get me wrong, that game will forever hold a special place in my heart, but if the guy who ran the show that day for us — who cupped his ears at the Wrexham fans in celebration — then ended up playing for them against us just 16 months later, it chips away at something.

We all know we fúcked up their season (and documentary) that day. But, just a year on, they went up anyway and will likely overtake us.

That 5-4 victory would hold more value if it properly hurt them. All it did was delay the inevitable.

Delaying the inevitable was always preferable to losing on the day, obviously. Maybe I'm just being super greedy about it!! I'd rather we didn't face McAtee — at least for a few seasons yet.

For a town fan that day was all about us, not them.

It's effect on them may have been a slight bonus compared to say, Eastleigh, but ultimately it was all about Town.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 158
moosey_club
July 23, 2023, 3:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,258
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from ska face
My only regret with Mcatee is I’ve only just realised today how easy it would be to fit his name into the tune of “Let it Be” by The Beatles. Fûcksake.

Can still use it.....just make the words detrimental instead of praising 😁

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 158
HatTrickHero
July 23, 2023, 3:40pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +779
Gold Stars: 25
Can't see why he'd be interested, he surely left to prove himself at a higher level, League 1 at a minimum.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 158
Poojah
July 23, 2023, 3:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,547
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from toontown

For a town fan that day was all about us, not them.

It's effect on them may have been a slight bonus compared to say, Eastleigh, but ultimately it was all about Town.

100%. Was it a bonus to have beaten the heavy favourites, the team with all the money and media love, in the presence of their Hollywood benefactors? “Ryan Reynolds is a sex offender”, and all of that jazz.

Yeah, I suppose it probably was. But that game didn’t need any of that to make it one of the absolute best footballing days of my life. It was, entirely on its own merit, a game that had absolutely everything, with a finale perhaps even more astonishing than the one I had witnessed only days earlier. I think, if you stack the just how mental the game was, with the scoreline and nature of the winning goal, with the significance of the outcome, it probably is the greatest game I have ever attended, and possibly ever will.

It was 100% about us that day. If we hadn’t have won, who knows where we’d be today. Last season would have been incredibly difficult with both Wrexham and Notts County like they did. It was a vital result, and McAtee was absolutely on fire that day.

A goal and two fantastic assists, not forgetting the goal that was narrowly disallowed before the game went bonkers. It has to rank as one of the best individual performances I have seen in a Town shirt, albeit there haven’t been too many of those.

I think some underestimate the lad’s talent. Personally, I think he will go on to have a very solid career, well above League Two. Say what you like about his underwhelming form last season, I don’t see Luton sending him out on loan to a League Two club, nor selling him. I have a sneaking suspicion he may just make their PL squad, but time will tell.

I don’t think there’s much substance in the Wrexham rumours, personally. I doubt we’ll see him playing a league game for anyone at BP next season.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 158
nickmariners
July 23, 2023, 4:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Poojah

100%. Was it a bonus to have beaten the heavy favourites, the team with all the money and media love, in the presence of their Hollywood benefactors? “Ryan Reynolds is a sex offender”, and all of that jazz.

Yeah, I suppose it probably was. But that game didn’t need any of that to make it one of the absolute best footballing days of my life. It was, entirely on its own merit, a game that had absolutely everything, with a finale perhaps even more astonishing than the one I had witnessed only days earlier. I think, if you stack the just how mental the game was, with the scoreline and nature of the winning goal, with the significance of the outcome, it probably is the greatest game I have ever attended, and possibly ever will.

It was 100% about us that day. If we hadn’t have won, who knows where we’d be today. Last season would have been incredibly difficult with both Wrexham and Notts County like they did. It was a vital result, and McAtee was absolutely on fire that day.

A goal and two fantastic assists, not forgetting the goal that was narrowly disallowed before the game went bonkers. It has to rank as one of the best individual performances I have seen in a Town shirt, albeit there haven’t been too many of those.

I think some underestimate the lad’s talent. Personally, I think he will go on to have a very solid career, well above League Two. Say what you like about his underwhelming form last season, I don’t see Luton sending him out on loan to a League Two club, nor selling him. I have a sneaking suspicion he may just make their PL squad, but time will tell.

I don’t think there’s much substance in the Wrexham rumours, personally. I doubt we’ll see him playing a league game for anyone at BP next season.

Really well put.

The lad had commitment and enthusiasm as well as raw talent; always prepared to track back and put in a tackle.

Sometimes he seemed to just glide with the ball.

Real "stardust" player who scored some fan-bloody-tastic goals for us.

He was carrying a big injury last season - odd that some supporters are forgetful/unforgiving of that.

I'm sorry he won't be playing for Town anymore, and hope he excels at a much higher level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 158
TheRealJohnLewis
July 23, 2023, 5:02pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from Poojah

I think some underestimate the lad’s talent.

I'm the opposite, I think he's vastly overrated by a lot of our fans and doesn't deserve the god-like status bestowed upon him by some. He had a brilliant season in non-league and last season he wasn't far off the player that Scunny fans told us we were getting. He has yet to prove he's more than anything more than a flash in the pan. Only time will tell and hopefully, he proves me wrong.

Private Message
Reply: 27 - 158
It Bites
July 23, 2023, 5:08pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,188
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

I'm the opposite, I think he's vastly overrated by a lot of our fans and doesn't deserve the god-like status bestowed upon him by some. He had a brilliant season in non-league and last season he wasn't far off the player that Scunny fans told us we were getting. He has yet to prove he's more than anything more than a flash in the pan. Only time will tell and hopefully, he proves me wrong.

This is exactly how I feel about him . I've seen people on here call him a town legend 😅. He was great in non league but so was Arnold , Connel and hearn
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 158
ginnywings
July 23, 2023, 5:25pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,132
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

Isn't that very essence of under estimating his talent and not opposite at all?

My opinion is that there is a real player in there, but he could go either way.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 158
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.