July 25, 2023, 3:01pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,474
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Great Post

Liam Hearn had it all and in terms of genuine excitement watching a Town player second only to John Oster for me in the last 25 years .

Steve Kabba , David Neilson,  Quick Mick and Reddy  got me off my feet within that period - we have had some brilliant forward players .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 158
LocalLadGTFC
July 25, 2023, 3:11pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,324
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Mariner_09

Liam Hearn is the most talented player I have seen play for Grimsby Town, bar none.

He had everything. He was quick, he was strong, he's the best one-on-one finisher we've had in my time, he could create chances for himself, he could score tap ins. He was outscoring Jamie Vardy don't forget, in a poorer side at a younger age during that 11/12 season.

We missed out on a monster payday at some stage due to those cruel injuries.

Pretty sure there was reports of him being linked to like Chelsea and Reading etc at the time, but yeah he was sensational. I remember his return, the roar of the crowd made my hairs on my neck stand up and then he flip flapped someone in the lower corner and then scored, I thought he'd put it all behind him and then he gets injured again. Criminal because he was so so good and criminal we didn't go up with him.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 71 - 158
pontoonlew
July 25, 2023, 5:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Said it a few times but it’s absolutely criminal how some people in our fan base have underrated McAtee’s contributions based on last season where he was often played out of position. I’ve watched us for close to 30 years and I’ve not seen many more talented than him.

One that does come close is Hearn, so sad what happened in the end because he was absolutely flipping electric.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 158
Rick12
July 25, 2023, 7:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from pontoonlew
Said it a few times but it’s absolutely criminal how some people in our fan base have underrated McAtee’s contributions based on last season where he was often played out of position. I’ve watched us for close to 30 years and I’ve not seen many more talented than him.

That's some commitment 👍. Of interest who is the most naturally gifted player you've seen. Have to say from the little I've seen of Town ( tend to watch 1-2 games) due to geographic position,finance and age Scott Neilson and Siriki Dembélé of recent times stood out probably in that order.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 158
Maringer
July 25, 2023, 11:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,671
Gold Stars: 189
Hearn was a good striker before injuries got to him, but he was not at all quick. It's really bizarre how so many fans think this and I really don't understand why. He had really good close-control, and a knack of beating a defender with skill but he never ran away from defences in the way that the likes of Boulding, Kabba and Reddy could.

Not sure how much footage of his time with us is still readily-available, but it would be interesting to see exactly how he scored his goals and work out which ones did (or didn't) rely on pace to create the chance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 158
bawarmy
July 26, 2023, 12:26am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +2,021
Gold Stars: 33
Legend. That is all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 158
Wemble1998
July 26, 2023, 4:37am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: -115
Gold Stars: 5
Don't forget Johhny Oster ,what a player, ,Gary Birtles,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 158
blackandwhitelaces
July 26, 2023, 5:22am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +152
Very salty over on the Lincoln site they say on that showing we are going to struggle this season .🫢🫢

made in cleethorpes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 158
Marinerdan
July 26, 2023, 6:29am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +957
Gold Stars: 17
Wrexham have just lost Mullin for 2-3 months with broken ribs and a collapsed lung. May force their hand to go for another striker.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 158
aldi_01
July 26, 2023, 6:37am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Marinerdan
Wrexham have just lost Mullin for 2-3 months with broken ribs and a collapsed lung. May force their hand to go for another striker.

It’s ok though, they’ve sold lots of shirts in middle America and made a few quid, losing the star striker won’t matter.

As for Hearn, good player, great bloke and natural finisher but I suspect he’s a player that’s improved since he stopped playing for us.

I may be wrong but it felt like he scored in a 6 month period in the middle of the season rather than consistently across the full season.

What is sad, and shows you how far we well is when we’re sat here talking about hero players, players that carried the team at times…at conference level. Not those players fault but still…we talk about Cunnington, Drinkall, Mendonca, Groves et al as being GTFC heroes but the latter of that list players at a significantly higher level and still stood out.

As for Mcatee, no doubt one of the most exciting players I’ve seen play for town, he did score when it mattered and he was a talisman at times. You can’t ask for more than that, he earned is move and good look to him.

He does need to think about the raving and the likes though because it would be a travesty if he never got to have a go higher up because of off field stuff…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 158
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.