10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
July 6, 2023, 9:50am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
I think they'll all get offered out on loan.  That's the tried and tested pathway.  I think it's only Khouri in many, many years gone by who's not done that but that's predominantly due to a year of injuries.  Had he not struggled in 20/21 with niggles, I think he would have gone out somewhere.

Good point from Mappers about the step-up in where we send them, that's got to be part of our progression too I think.  The highest level anyone has generally gone before is Boston in the Conf. North.  I guess part of the issue with loaning to the Conference level is that most teams are professional, even a fair few at Conf. North.  Any loan players would probably spend all their time there, if they go to a semi-pro club they're still doing the training with Town and getting game time, best of both worlds.  
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 92
Norseman
July 6, 2023, 11:40pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from Captain Sensible

How do you know that?

It's an opinion based on watching them .Yours or hursts may differ and it is only hursts that count .But some who were loaned out to clubs like borough and clee town never even started all the time .They haven't played a lot of men's footy either
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 92
Norseman
July 6, 2023, 11:44pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from Norseman

It's an opinion based on watching them .Yours or hursts may differ and it is only hursts that count .But some who were loaned out to clubs like borough and clee town never even started all the time .They haven't played a lot of men's footy either  But other posters are right .When they are loaned out they need to go to a better level than clee town or borough

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 92
Poojah
July 10, 2023, 8:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,540
Gold Stars: 1,500
Stumbled across this glowing third-party review of Town’s business so far.

https://offtheline599656488.wordpress.com/2023/07/10/sky-bet-league-two-1-24-transfer-table/

Quoted Text
1 – Grimsby Town
All aboard the Blundell Park train; I have been fully suckered in with the business that they have done this summer. Paul Hurst has pulled it out the bag. They needed to add quality in the final third of the pitch; he has added newly-promoted Danny Rose, a player with untapped potential Rekeil Pyke, and returning Charles Vernam who will do much to excite the Town fans. They needed to add in the middle of the park and so have gone out and landed Kamil Conteh after an impressive loan spell with Gateshead last year in the National League; to get him on a permanent deal is particularly impressive. They have sorted out the goalkeeping department with the arrival of two new goalkeepers; local lad Cartwright and former Hurst man Eastwood. They’ve added Toby Mullarkey as well, a player I really rate. They’ve signed quality; it’s now about adding the cherry on top in the remaining weeks of the window!

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 92
buckstown
July 11, 2023, 5:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,179
Gold Stars: 79
I think Mullarkey will be the stand out signing this summer. By league two standards he’ll be a rolls Royce defender
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 92
rancido
July 11, 2023, 6:18pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,570
Gold Stars: 96
I've nearly always trusted PH's judgement when it comes down to permanent signings and he seems to get most of these right. Loan signings are a bit different but quite often other factors come into play as regards these so they have to be judged differently.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 92
aldi_01
July 12, 2023, 7:47am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from rancido
I've nearly always trusted PH's judgement when it comes down to permanent signings and he seems to get most of these right. Loan signings are a bit different but quite often other factors come into play as regards these so they have to be judged differently.

I’d agree, but by Hursts own admission, sometimes loan signings don’t become what you need. However, with the changes to the loan rules etc I think Hurst has been clever in not using them at all really, not yet anyway. Almost like he’s hiding his time, sensible if you ask me…

It’s just nice to see we’re not scaling the barrel like normal…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 92
Maringer
July 12, 2023, 7:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,512
Gold Stars: 185
I sense a couple of auto-corrects in that post, unless you're mixing your metaphors like Fenty after a couple of bottles of claret!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 92
Son of Cod
July 12, 2023, 8:02am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from aldi_01

I’d agree, but by Hursts own admission, sometimes loan signings don’t become what you need. However, with the changes to the loan rules etc I think Hurst has been clever in not using them at all really, not yet anyway. Almost like he’s hiding his time, sensible if you ask me…

It’s just nice to see we’re not scaling the barrel like normal…

Yep for sure. Hurst has spoken about not wanting to be reliant on the loan market every window since his return but hasn't been in a position to be able to make that happen. We've obviously got Cartwright in on a season long, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's the only loanee we start the season with. It's not gonna be a season where we have 4 or 5 in the squad at any one time. Swift action in this window has ensured that pretty much all of our squad are our permanent players. Another encouraging sign of progress under JS and AP.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 92
aldi_01
July 12, 2023, 8:20am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Maringer
I sense a couple of auto-corrects in that post, unless you're mixing your metaphors like Fenty after a couple of bottles of claret!

Definitely some autocorrects that have indirectly created some fentyisms…perhaps that’s his legacy on the fishy?

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 92
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Town’s window so far

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.