Mappers
July 5, 2023, 3:34pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,322
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from diehardmariner

I dunno about the physical bit of that.  Pyke looked a bit of a unit yesterday, wouldn't surprise me if he's the 'big man' in the squad.  Not the tallest lad but neither was Lennell John-Lewis and Hurst used him in that manner.

Fair mate won't see us until August so don't know what he's like , just that he was really good at right back for Shrews - maybe Hurst will go with him as the big un option then
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 92
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
July 5, 2023, 3:34pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +845
Gold Stars: 117
Can we sign Chinese players? He's bound to have a relative in the UK somewhere that could get him dual nationality!

If we want a beast up front, have a look at Yang Changpeng, he's only 6' 8.5". Is that big enough?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 92
Poojah
July 5, 2023, 3:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,543
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from Mappers

It must be a big en up top , we seem stacked everywhere else if we sign that lad from Newcastle  at the back on loan . I think a physical forward and we are complete .

Would not suprise me if it was that Kayode from Rotherham with the Hurst link .He fits the bill

A year ago I’d have been very happy with Kayode, but he’s been permanently sidelined with about three separate injuries since then. Whether that’s a run of bad luck or he’s a crock I don’t know, but he would represent a bit of risk.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 92
diehardmariner
July 5, 2023, 3:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,619
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Mappers

Fair mate won't see us until August so don't know what he's like , just that he was really good at right back for Shrews - maybe Hurst will go with him as the big un option then

My disclaimer is that it was against Grimsby Borough, who will represent literally nothing like we face in League Two.  He was the only of the 3 strikers to be used as a lone striker (Rose and Wilson paired together in the first half).  

Hurst did say when he brought him in that he sees him as a centre-forward rather than a winger/wingback.  Could be Hurst just trying different things at this stage than anything else.  It looks like we're bringing someone in - at least one if coddy60 is right and presuming Adan George at least has a chance of earning a contract (and it's not him as the big signing), I can't really see much space for a signing in any other position than up top.
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 92
Stew0_0
July 5, 2023, 4:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,195
Gold Stars: 35
                                     Eastwood
                                      Cartright

Efete            Waterfall              Maher            Glennon
Malarkey ------ Rodgers------  Bramwell            Amos

Clifton                Conteh                Green
              Hunt                Holohan               Khouri

Eisa                          Rose                       Vernam
      Wilson                        Pyke                         Khan
   Braithwaite         Tomlinson. Essel

We've 2 for each position already, so any further signings would have to add quality. Probably got space for one more central striker and if Adan George continues to impress then that could be it.

Looking really strong and cant wait till the season starts
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 92
ska face
July 5, 2023, 7:58pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from Poojah

A year ago I’d have been very happy with Kayode, but he’s been permanently sidelined with about three separate injuries since then. Whether that’s a run of bad luck or he’s a crock I don’t know, but he would represent a bit of risk.

Think it was three unconnected injuries, at least one described as a freak injury. Torn hamstring last pre-season, then a knee injury and then a quad problem towards the end of the year.

Been keeping an eye on his situation as I’d like him here. Rotherham’s manager seems keen to see something of him but also said he needs games & maybe out on loan.

Not heard anything on the jungle drums apart from a few Donny fans thinking they’re in for him. 30-odd games in L1 the season before last, but in his final 12 months at Rotherham & probably unlikely to break into a Championship team. Get the chequebook out Stockwood.  
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 92
Norseman
July 5, 2023, 11:00pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from Stew0_0
                                     Eastwood
                                      Cartright

Efete            Waterfall              Maher            Glennon
Malarkey ------ Rodgers------  Bramwell            Amos

Clifton                Conteh                Green
              Hunt                Holohan               Khouri

Eisa                          Rose                       Vernam
      Wilson                        Pyke                         Khan
   Braithwaite         Tomlinson. Essel

We've 2 for each position already, so any further signings would have to add quality. Probably got space for one more central striker and if Adan George continues to impress then that could be it.

Looking really strong and cant wait till the season starts

In my opinion I Wouldn't count the 4 kids .They're nowhere near ready for first team selection unless a real injury crisis hits , and will all be loaned out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 92
Captain Sensible
July 5, 2023, 11:12pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: +178
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Norseman

In my opinion I Wouldn't count the 4 kids .They're nowhere near ready for first team selection unless a real injury crisis hits , and will all be loaned out

How do you know that?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 92
Mappers
July 6, 2023, 4:53am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,322
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Norseman

Essel looks a player with potential

If we are looking to keep players longer you would have thought it's a case of gradually improving the standard of the level where they go on loan , so maybe this season NLN ,season after NL and then a pathway into the first team if they have impressed and can make the step up .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 92
forza ivano
July 6, 2023, 9:39am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,182
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Norseman

you're probably right but Braithwaite, Bramwell & essel all played first team games last season, so hopefully they'll get  a loan to a decent level club (Nl or NLN ) and/or get some game time in the paintpot trophy
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 92
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Town’s window so far

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.