toontown
July 4, 2023, 7:57am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Davec
I don't see what Middlesbrough would do with a sell on percentage, let's assume he has a brilliant season and we sell him for a million and they have a 10% sell on fee, what would they do with that 100k they will gain? When they are in the championship or maybe even premiership that 100k isn't going to do anything for them is it.

Obviously that is just a random working assumption

I don't think a championship club would turn their nose up at 100k, they're still a business.

I'd be amazed if they didn't stick a sell on clause on the deal personally.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 92
RonMariner
July 4, 2023, 8:15am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,717
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Davec
I don't see what Middlesbrough would do with a sell on percentage, let's assume he has a brilliant season and we sell him for a million and they have a 10% sell on fee, what would they do with that 100k they will gain? When they are in the championship or maybe even premiership that 100k isn't going to do anything for them is it.

25% is probably a more realistic sell on percentage. I think that is what we had on Dembele.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 92
Poojah
July 4, 2023, 8:18am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,572
Gold Stars: 1,501
Quoted from RonMariner

25% is probably a more realistic sell on percentage. I think that is what we had on Dembele.

It would be the kind of nice problem we just haven’t had for as long as I can remember. If we end up having to send somewhere between half-a-million and a million quid Middlesbrough’s way in a couple of year’s time, we’re probably doing alright.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 92
RonMariner
July 4, 2023, 8:18am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,717
Gold Stars: 226
With all these promising new arrivals I wonder how many of last seasons squad will be first choice for our new starting eleven?

Clifton, for sure. Glennon perhaps. Who else?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 92
Lost in Lincoln
July 4, 2023, 8:32am
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +385
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from RonMariner
With all these promising new arrivals I wonder how many of last seasons squad will be first choice for our new starting eleven?

Waterfall, Hunt?

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 24 - 92
ginnywings
July 4, 2023, 8:43am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from RonMariner

That's how you progress.

Squad players move on and first teamers become the squad players.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 92
grimsby pete
July 4, 2023, 8:54am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,799
Gold Stars: 222
I wish people on here would stop talking about selling our best players or sell on clauses.

If we have ambition we should be thinking how do we hang on to our best players and try and improve the squad window after window like Jason has said a few times.

Who knows where we will end up but I know we will all enjoy the ride.  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 92
coddy60
July 4, 2023, 8:59am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +652
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from grimsby pete
I wish people on here would stop talking about selling our best players of sell on clauses.

If we have ambition we should be thinking how do we hang on to our best players and try and improve the squad window after window like Jason has said a few times.

Who knows where we will end up but I know we will all enjoy the ride.  

Dont kid yourself, every club in the world is a selling club, if the price is right, and selling at a great profit allows us to re-invest in the next couple to develop.  Its a perfect business model at our level. And the next ones we target see how we've developed, and helped the previous incumbents achieve a move to a higher level. Makes us a very attractive proposition to young and talented players I would imagine...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 92
VinnyGTFC
July 4, 2023, 9:03am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +124
Gold Stars: 20
Quoted from Davec

In that case why have we paid a fee for him?why didn't they just give him to us? A very strange way of thinking.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 92
Son of Cod
July 4, 2023, 9:31am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Yeah I've been surprised at the lack of activity elsewhere, it's really highlighted our completely unTownlike window so far. Particularly, Stockport seem to have switched off their money tap.

Also that list of the top 7 faves really shows what a tough start we have. We play 6 of those 7 in our first 8 matches. Yikes. Still, could be a good time to be playing them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 92
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Town’s window so far

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.