mariner91
July 4, 2023, 1:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,658
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Corkyefes
Happy with the summer transfer window up to now...

Conteh and Rose are the standout signings for me with Vernam close behind.

Obviously we need a couple of keepers, which I think we've already signed and I think we need a striker to try and hit 10+ goals on his own, if we are serious about being play off contenders.

IF we lose any players, such as Clifton or Glennon, then I would suggest we need to replace them.
Glennon not so much as we have Maher and Amos who can slot into there, but if Clifton goes, we need a replacement for him.

This is a very strong team, with the likes of Amos, Kahn, Hunt, Green, Holohan, Rodgers and two strikers on the bench....

[url=https://imgbb.com/][img]https://i.ibb.co/Kwc0ryW/Town-Team.png[/img][/url]

I’m no expert but I guarantee we don’t ever start with just one central midfielder.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 92
diehardmariner
July 4, 2023, 1:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Think your missing the 2 biggest points, the gaffer. Love or loathe him as a fan players love to play for him and every single squad he's had here has lived and breathed Grimsby Town and bought into the culture. Then us, the fans. I was scrolling down the Kamil Conteh tweet and saw a reply from Carl Magnay that was congratulating him and said how much he'll love playing for us. We're a special group of people (at least that's what my mother always told me), I'm 27 and barring the seasons that I was too young to remember and one season in 05 all i've seen is abject failure from my football club in the football league yet we still travel in thousands and pack the park despite being a small little town. I saw a point made by someone on here about the video package that's given to players and I can guarantee they use footage of us travelling away and then us packing the park because football is a showmans sport. It's every footballers dream to play in front of a packed out Old Trafford or Anfield, The only similarity I can name between Old Trafford and BP is that they're both falling apart but every footballer wants to play infront of the biggest crowds and you'll do well to find a more passionate fanbase in the football league nevermind L2.

Both came under that smarter approach to recruitment.  Hurst and the fans have always been here.  We've just been able to a) articulate why it's a benefit and b) have them complimenting the newer stuff we're able to do.

Magnay, odd this is the second time I've type his name today having not done so once for god knows how many years, was here so so long ago.  Dark times when we were a shower of excrement off the field.  He fell out with Fenty over £50 for travelling costs, of which he was denied as our player of the year....Regardless, he probably would feel justified in having  a bee in his bonnet about that. But instead he still holds fond memories about the place, us as fans and Hurst as a manager.  That speaks volumes.  

I've long thought our best recruitment has been word of mouth from other players, be it about the fans or about Hurst.  But that was all we really had and it was probably peppered with 'but the owner is a tight twit' type comments. Before we even thought about getting players through the door for conversations, our reputation ruled us out of the running.  That Hurst has managed to recruit well previously is an achievement on its own.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 92
Poojah
July 4, 2023, 2:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,583
Gold Stars: 1,503
And now 10 (5). Been a pretty remarkable summer so far.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 92
diehardmariner
July 4, 2023, 2:27pm
Vodka Drinker
I'll call it, best summer of recruitment since the summer of '97 when we brought in the likes of Aidan Davison, Paul Groves and Kevin Donovan.

2023 leaps above 2004 when Michael Reddy, Justin Whittle and err, Clint Marcelle arrived at Blundell Park.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 92
RonMariner
July 4, 2023, 2:33pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,719
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from diehardmariner
I'll call it, best summer of recruitment since the summer of '97 when we brought in the likes of Aidan Davison, Paul Groves and Kevin Donovan.

2023 leaps above 2004 when Michael Reddy, Justin Whittle and err, Clint Marcelle arrived at Blundell Park.

Plus Wayne Burnett and Kingsley Black. No wonder we did the Wembley double that season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 92
diehardmariner
July 4, 2023, 2:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner

Plus Wayne Burnett and Kingsley Black. No wonder we did the Wembley double that season.

Burnett came in the New Year, initially on loan.  Black was already here, a Brian Laws signing thanks to their Forest days

Buckley spent well and used the money from the sale of Oster and Mendonca well.  But he had a very good core to work with, certainly not a side that should have gone down in the first place.  McDermott, Gallimore, Handyside, Lever, Livvo, Lester...all part of the time that went down.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 92
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
July 4, 2023, 2:37pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from RonMariner

Mallorcan sausage seller, Kingsley Black, was a Laws signing want he? ‘96 intake.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 92
RonMariner
July 4, 2023, 2:42pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,719
Gold Stars: 226
Oh right. Didn’t realise  Black was in the team that went down. But when you look at the other names you mention it’s a reminder of what quality that 1998 squad had. Just shows where you need to be to get out of L1.

I
  Be a good problem to be wrestling with next summer though😎
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 92
Poojah
July 4, 2023, 2:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,583
Gold Stars: 1,503
We did also sign Lee Nogan that summer though, who I sometimes feel is an underrated and oft-forgotten part of that 97/98 team. 54 appearances that season; 13 goals. He was a better player than history gives him credit for.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 92
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
July 4, 2023, 2:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555

Mallorcan sausage seller, Kingsley Black, was a Laws signing want he? ‘96 intake.

Apologies, apparently this isn’t true - the sausage bit, not the Laws bit.

Mr Black’s legal team would like me to point out that their client does not own shares in a charcuterie-centric Pollensa deli.

[url]
https://twitter.com/kingsley_black/status/520695745020956672[/url]
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 92
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Town’s window so far

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.