10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
July 4, 2023, 2:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,634
Gold Stars: 539
Nogan was a great signing and I agree, very understated.  The Tony Rees of the second coming of Buckley.

The one who linked it altogether up top.  Second season he struggled to be as effective.  Kev Donovan wasn't on fire like the season before which completely changed our attacking output.  From a variety of options going forward, we became fairly reliant on Paul Groves to attack from deep or get a penalty after Jack Lester fell into the area from 30 yards out.  

Nogan wasn't helped by only grabbing two in the league and he became a bit of a target for the boo-boys in his second and final season.  Big shame.  
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 92
Nutsy
July 4, 2023, 2:53pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +139
Gold Stars: 5
So we have signed players far better than I thought we would be. What positions are left to fill? St?

If we signed Umerah, this would be the strongest squad I’ve ever seen supporting town (started following in 2010…..)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 92
RonMariner
July 4, 2023, 2:54pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,729
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from diehardmariner
Nogan was a great signing and I agree, very understated.  The Tony Rees of the second coming of Buckley.

The one who linked it altogether up top.  Second season he struggled to be as effective.  Kev Donovan wasn't on fire like the season before which completely changed our attacking output.  From a variety of options going forward, we became fairly reliant on Paul Groves to attack from deep or get a penalty after Jack Lester fell into the area from 30 yards out.  

Nogan wasn't helped by only grabbing two in the league and he became a bit of a target for the boo-boys in his second and final season.  Big shame.  

They of course found themselves plying their trade in the Championship, which is a very tough place to play.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 92
Maringer
July 4, 2023, 3:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,560
Gold Stars: 185
I seem the recall that Donovan struggled with injuries during that first season after promotion and he never looked quite the same player to me again. The higher standard will no doubt have made a difference to some degree, but Donovan didn't have the same zip to his play after that initial season.

Burnett was another one who was injured a fair bit after his first successful season.

Nogan was hard-working and ran his socks off all game but was mostly ineffective in the role Buckley had him playing. I remember he just never seemed to get into the box.

Thank heavens for Groves who was just such a classy player. Can't imagine why it didn't work out for him at West Brom because they were no great shakes as I recall and he was just as good as before for us after he returned.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 92
Poojah
July 4, 2023, 3:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,606
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from Nutsy
So we have signed players far better than I thought we would be. What positions are left to fill? St?

If we signed Umerah, this would be the strongest squad I’ve ever seen supporting town (started following in 2010…..)

You poor bástard.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 92
diehardmariner
July 4, 2023, 3:37pm
Vodka Drinker
It was a really odd injury that kept Donovan out for the beginning of the season and he just never quite got going again, think it was an ingrowing toe-nail or something.  Dare I say he was never the same type of player again.  He became important again but Buckley and later Lennie Lawrence changed his role a bit, rather than that winger who ran at teams from deep he became more of a no. 10 type, often deployed off the lone front man.

Good shout on Burnett, we really missed him and whilst Coldicott was a fine player he was a different type of player and you could see that Buckley was a bit more cautious going up a level.   We were less free-flowing and more about being difficult to beat.  

Hindsight is great but I think that 97/98 side had enough in them to really go at the second-tier rather than worry too much about the opposition.  
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 92
mariner91
July 4, 2023, 3:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,666
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Poojah

You poor bástard.

The only good bit about this is that things being as they are right now must seem absolutely amazing. Can only go up from such an appalling start. It's us poor millennials who's parents started taking us in 1998 that have really suffered! I just assumed we would always be good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 92
diehardmariner
July 4, 2023, 3:40pm
Vodka Drinker
My first two seasons were 89/90 and 90/91.  I just presumed we got promoted every year!  
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 92
Nutsy
July 4, 2023, 3:55pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +139
Gold Stars: 5
I use the fact I started following town in 2010, as proof of my dedication and perseverance but sadly it may also suggest a little insanity
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 92
DB
July 4, 2023, 4:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,029
Gold Stars: 388
I think this is the first season in many decades that a manager has been able to recruit players he wants and pay a fee. This is all down to Jason and Andrew and let us not forget Hursty. Players want to play for him and be in a successful side and club; as proven by last season.

The Fenty years are now well and truly behind us, long live 1878.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 92
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Town’s window so far

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.