toontown
July 4, 2023, 9:45am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from RonMariner

25% is probably a more realistic sell on percentage. I think that is what we had on Dembele.

Yeah I thought the same thing - the fact we had to beat off a host of other clubs for him might even have pushed it up to 30%. Quite possibly some add ons for appearances, goals, promotions etc as well.

It's all irrelevant if he doesn't succeed, and everyone is a winner if he does.

For boro these sort of things go a long way to making their academy self funding which you'd imagine is part of their own plan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 92
July 4, 2023, 9:53am
Guest User
As I’ve said before, we were favourites to go down last season. I think that had the biggest drag on our recruitment. What Hurst achieved last season, with the smallest of windows and preparation, is nothing short of remarkable.

And we’re reaping the benefits now. Very exciting times.
Reply: 31 - 92
Mappers
July 4, 2023, 10:20am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,333
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Son of Cod
Yeah I've been surprised at the lack of activity elsewhere, it's really highlighted our completely unTownlike window so far. Particularly, Stockport seem to have switched off their money tap.

Also that list of the top 7 faves really shows what a tough start we have. We play 6 of those 7 in our first 8 matches. Yikes. Still, could be a good time to be playing them.

That's what I expect from us it's not really 'turning off the tap' they have a squad in place to challenge year on year with minor tweaks and additions and players on longer term deals for stability . If we don't go up this year the building blocks are in place for the following season with lot's of players who have scope to develop with us rather than the massive turnover of players we are used to .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 92
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
July 4, 2023, 10:44am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +847
Gold Stars: 118
A few people have touched upon the real reason we are doing so well in our new data-led recruitment, and they are Joe Hutchinson and the Data Analysts we have beavering away in the background. Hursty has mentioned Joe several times in his interviews in the past, so must be having a big input in the names they are chasing.

Hurst has also mentioned that several of the players that we have now signed have been on his radar since January, at least, and even though any approach to those players back then was unsuccessful, he, and his backroom boys, have done their work to perfection.

I also read something that seems to have gone under the radar, or has been forgotten about, that back in 2021 GTFC signed up to TransferLab, an online football data scouting tool. By the sounds of it, it is a very useful bit of kit as it is used by professional teams from all across the globe.

I think the lack of activity on the big spending clubs in our league could be due to players becoming wise. Its all well and good moving and taking a higher than normal wage, but then players are finding it difficult when their contract ends to find another club who is willing to pay the same level of wages that they were on. No player wants to take a big cut in wages at any point in their careers, but because they were drawn in by the 'relatively' big money at some of these clubs, they will ultimately have to drop their income if they want to continue to play.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 92
diehardmariner
July 4, 2023, 11:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,632
Gold Stars: 539
It's a combination of so many things isn't it?

1) Data led recruitment.  All the pelters that were aimed at Joe Hutchinson in January, unfairly so I might add, look silly now.
2) Better resources to play with.  Footballing fortune or whatever you want to call it.  We've got something to throw at transfers now.
3) More time for planning.  31 days between ending a season and starting the new one is impossible to get it all done, never mind the 3 weeks we lost whilst preparing/playing in the play-offs.
4) Long term thinking.  This is the first summer window (where let's face it, you do the bulk of your serious business.  January is about tweaking, topping up or panic signing) that Hurst has had as GTFC manager to really do some long term planning with his transfers.  Every single season in the Conference it was always a case of building a team to go up, nothing more. That was the priority, the only one.  2016 he didn't have the infrastructure or the culture to long-term plan and 2022 he just didn't have the time.

I think you can also add in a smarter approach to recruitment.  The club are doing something, whatever it is, to be better with selling the club to people.  I'll be honest, I don't think it's as simple as bringing them via the leafy streets of Humberston and Waltham as opposed to bringing them in over the flyover and past the boarded up delights of Funland.  I think it's as much about marketing the club as somewhere they can either be part of something special or develop their career to greater heights, perhaps a bit of both.  If someone wants to use this club as a stepping stone, fine.....we'll help them with that.  They develop, we benefit, they move on.  Whatever they're doing, we've not done before.  More of it please.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 92
Mariner Timsky
July 4, 2023, 12:01pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Poojah
With Town making our 8th signing of the summer window in the shape of the exceedingly promising looking Kamil Conteh, and still not a loan yet in sight, it occurred to me that after a slow and frustrating January, we seem to have gone about our business in uncharacteristically bullish fashion.

Of course, signings are far more about quality than quantity, and there’s a long way to go get, but given that we seem collectively very happy with the calibre of player we’re attracting, I thought it would be mildly interesting to look at the volume of activity elsewhere in League Two. If nothing else, it serves as a rough barometer of how well things are going for us and offers a tiny insight into general market conditions.

The figures below refer to the total number of signings made (permanent of loan) by Town and the league’s top 7 favourites. The first number is the total number of signings made; the figure in brackets represents the number of signings involving a fee.

Wrexham - 0 (0)
Stockport - 2 (0)
Notts County - 4 (0)
Gillingham - 3 (0)
Bradford - 5 (0)
Mansfield - 3 (1)
Salford - 3 (1)

Town - 8 (4)

What’s abundantly clear is that not only is our fast-paced recruitment unusual for us, it’s also atypical for the division as a whole. Of the front-runners, Bradford have made the most signings after us with 5 in total, and only Mansfield and Salford have paid a fee for a player. Our 8 and 4 respectively is a massive outlier.

You can certainly make the argument that most if not all of the sides above had a stronger retained list than Town, and that’s fair enough, but most sides at this level still have a fair amount of recruitment to do in the summer.

The fact that we have gone out there and made several signings early, players who for the most part have excellent credentials, have offered long contracts and paid fees just seems to indicate a real confidence and swagger about our approach. It marks a palpable shift in demeanour from the club, and it would certainly seem to indicate that we are getting the players we want; not the players we wind up having to take just to make up the numbers.

We have seen so much progress made at the club in the last two years, but this feels like a sea change. A genuine, transitional moment. That we are not just catching-up, we are beginning to lead the way.

Great stuff and exciting times ahead!!

Who are the FOUR that involved a fee?

I have ;
Danny Rose
Charles Vernam
Kamil Conteh

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 92
diehardmariner
July 4, 2023, 12:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,632
Gold Stars: 539
Mullarkey.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 92
RonMariner
July 4, 2023, 12:11pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,721
Gold Stars: 226
It certainly looks like Jason is making good on his promise to invest the cup windfall into the playing squad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 92
Corkyefes
July 4, 2023, 12:15pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: -117
Gold Stars: 7
Happy with the summer transfer window up to now...

Conteh and Rose are the standout signings for me with Vernam close behind.

Obviously we need a couple of keepers, which I think we've already signed and I think we need a striker to try and hit 10+ goals on his own, if we are serious about being play off contenders.

IF we lose any players, such as Clifton or Glennon, then I would suggest we need to replace them.
Glennon not so much as we have Maher and Amos who can slot into there, but if Clifton goes, we need a replacement for him.

This is a very strong team, with the likes of Amos, Kahn, Hunt, Green, Holohan, Rodgers and two strikers on the bench....

[url=https://imgbb.com/][img]https://i.ibb.co/Kwc0ryW/Town-Team.png[/img][/url]
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 92
LocalLadGTFC
July 4, 2023, 12:47pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,227
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from diehardmariner
It's a combination of so many things isn't it?

1) Data led recruitment.  All the pelters that were aimed at Joe Hutchinson in January, unfairly so I might add, look silly now.
2) Better resources to play with.  Footballing fortune or whatever you want to call it.  We've got something to throw at transfers now.
3) More time for planning.  31 days between ending a season and starting the new one is impossible to get it all done, never mind the 3 weeks we lost whilst preparing/playing in the play-offs.
4) Long term thinking.  This is the first summer window (where let's face it, you do the bulk of your serious business.  January is about tweaking, topping up or panic signing) that Hurst has had as GTFC manager to really do some long term planning with his transfers.  Every single season in the Conference it was always a case of building a team to go up, nothing more. That was the priority, the only one.  2016 he didn't have the infrastructure or the culture to long-term plan and 2022 he just didn't have the time.

I think you can also add in a smarter approach to recruitment.  The club are doing something, whatever it is, to be better with selling the club to people.  I'll be honest, I don't think it's as simple as bringing them via the leafy streets of Humberston and Waltham as opposed to bringing them in over the flyover and past the boarded up delights of Funland.  I think it's as much about marketing the club as somewhere they can either be part of something special or develop their career to greater heights, perhaps a bit of both.  If someone wants to use this club as a stepping stone, fine.....we'll help them with that.  They develop, we benefit, they move on.  Whatever they're doing, we've not done before.  More of it please.

Think your missing the 2 biggest points, the gaffer. Love or loathe him as a fan players love to play for him and every single squad he's had here has lived and breathed Grimsby Town and bought into the culture. Then us, the fans. I was scrolling down the Kamil Conteh tweet and saw a reply from Carl Magnay that was congratulating him and said how much he'll love playing for us. We're a special group of people (at least that's what my mother always told me), I'm 27 and barring the seasons that I was too young to remember and one season in 05 all i've seen is abject failure from my football club in the football league yet we still travel in thousands and pack the park despite being a small little town. I saw a point made by someone on here about the video package that's given to players and I can guarantee they use footage of us travelling away and then us packing the park because football is a showmans sport. It's every footballers dream to play in front of a packed out Old Trafford or Anfield, The only similarity I can name between Old Trafford and BP is that they're both falling apart but every footballer wants to play infront of the biggest crowds and you'll do well to find a more passionate fanbase in the football league nevermind L2.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 39 - 92
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Town’s window so far

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.