Reply: 20 - 123
louth_in_the_south
April 7, 2023, 7:01pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,712
Gold Stars: 96
A game of fine margins when 1-1 . They took their chances and won it . We didn’t when we should’ve took the lead on a couple of moments in front of goal . There’s the difference that needs addressing in the summer and hopefully PH will be given the funds to sign the sort of players that are capable of that .

Lower F5
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 123
gtfc_chris
April 7, 2023, 7:12pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,516
Gold Stars: 118
Initially I was ready to add my displeasure to the performance from today as it was entirely lacklustre, lazy, poorly fought and downright awful from front to back. Very few games this season that I haven’t thought there’s been at least something remotely positive to take away but this wasn’t one. It was dire.

But what I find more disgusting is the speed at which people have turned on a manager who a month ago was being hailed by some as the best manager we’ve had!

Let’s not ignore today, it was crap. Let’s not ignore home form, it’s been crap. But let’s look at what he’s achieved. Promotion at the first time of asking, then putting a team together within a very short timescale that has for the most part competed in most league games this season, with the universally accepted view that a decent striker adds a good 15-20 points to our tally alone. He then delivered our best Cup run and memories that will live long in this generation and will hopefully afford the club to pay the going rate for players capable of making a better crack of it next season.

He is not above criticism and he’ll no doubt question his own decisions but I don’t blame him for today, I blame the players, 100%. He made the obvious changes needed at half time and we saw the improvement 10 fold. The penalty (which was outside the box, we were in Osmond pretty much on the line), then changed the game again and the players did nothing. Lost out ti every ball and cocked up every pass.

We’ve had so many games and still have so many to play. He needs to balance between keeping players fit and giving those in the squad chance to see what he does in the summer. 2 games ago Bryn Morris was out the door for me, then he’s had 2 games which make me want to see more and find out if they were ‘fluke’ as he’d be in the squad next year.

Be upset as you want with a poor and ultimately wasted afternoon but any notion of PH getting sacked for that is diabolical thinking.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 123
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
April 7, 2023, 7:28pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +2 / -5
Approval: -158
Gold Stars: 78
Quoted from chaos33

That’s a bit childish

I’m sorry, enjoy your beetroot

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 123
chaos33
April 7, 2023, 7:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,001
Gold Stars: 362

I’m sorry, enjoy your beetroot

What are you on about?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 123
GhostDan
April 7, 2023, 7:32pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +984
Gold Stars: 12
Totally casting the horrendous performance and result aside, it’s just an another typical game in the story of our season - we find it near impossible to take any chances to score.  

Even in that abysmal first half, we have 3/4 half chances to score - there was a throw into the box that got flicked on, anybody running into the back post would have had a tap in, but we’d all gone to the front.

In the second half Efete could have squared to Khan for a tap in and for some reason tried to shoot from a tight angle. Just before they scored, McAtee had a decent chance.   They were ruthless at the other end and just like the games against Mansfield, Walsall and Crawley a few weeks back - our lack of any sort of goal threat comes back to bite us hard. It’s almost comical how bad we are in front of goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 123
chaos33
April 7, 2023, 7:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,001
Gold Stars: 362
I’m just trying to process the stat that we’ve apparently won 9 home games from 41 since Hurst returned. Is that actually correct?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 123
lew chaterleys lover
April 7, 2023, 7:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,770
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from gtfc_chris
Initially I was ready to add my displeasure to the performance from today as it was entirely lacklustre, lazy, poorly fought and downright awful from front to back. Very few games this season that I haven’t thought there’s been at least something remotely positive to take away but this wasn’t one. It was dire.

But what I find more disgusting is the speed at which people have turned on a manager who a month ago was being hailed by some as the best manager we’ve had!

Let’s not ignore today, it was crap. Let’s not ignore home form, it’s been crap. But let’s look at what he’s achieved. Promotion at the first time of asking, then putting a team together within a very short timescale that has for the most part competed in most league games this season, with the universally accepted view that a decent striker adds a good 15-20 points to our tally alone. He then delivered our best Cup run and memories that will live long in this generation and will hopefully afford the club to pay the going rate for players capable of making a better crack of it next season.

He is not above criticism and he’ll no doubt question his own decisions but I don’t blame him for today, I blame the players, 100%. He made the obvious changes needed at half time and we saw the improvement 10 fold. The penalty (which was outside the box, we were in Osmond pretty much on the line), then changed the game again and the players did nothing. Lost out ti every ball and cocked up every pass.

We’ve had so many games and still have so many to play. He needs to balance between keeping players fit and giving those in the squad chance to see what he does in the summer. 2 games ago Bryn Morris was out the door for me, then he’s had 2 games which make me want to see more and find out if they were ‘fluke’ as he’d be in the squad next year.

Be upset as you want with a poor and ultimately wasted afternoon but any notion of PH getting sacked for that is diabolical thinking.

That's football - from hero to zero in a nano second.

He won't be unduly worried as the owners have complete faith in him, but he will analyse things for sure and he has ordered the players to come in tomorrow on their day off for a debrief, which is to be welcomed.

The thing with Hurst is he invariably gets more and more defensive minded desperate not to get overrun, keep the famous shape which usually means your creative and more attacking players are not allowed the freedom to play, and they eventually leave to be replaced by similar players who haven't got the freedom to play...

I wish someone would put a couple of shots of vodka in his water bottle and see if it makes him a bit more adventurous.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 123
lukeo
April 7, 2023, 7:39pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
Only saw the first half and it was awful. Totally wrong team selection. Frustrating and annoying and I feel for anyone who'll be continuing to travel to the last few games if it carries on this way. Its been a strange season but I'm sure one we will look back on and just think about that fa cup run.
I do hope he changes something though otherwise my optimism for next season will fast disappear.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 123
lew chaterleys lover
April 7, 2023, 7:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,770
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from chaos33
I’m just trying to process the stat that we’ve apparently won 9 home games from 41 since Hurst returned. Is that actually correct?

I think that must be football league games.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 123
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Absolutely disgusted

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.