April 8, 2023, 5:02pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,851
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from HerveJosse

We haven’t beaten Mansfield unless you are including the Pizza trophy

Yes, I was just looking at the results page of the Fishy and forgot it was in that competition. Still a win , but we did draw with them in the league I think.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 123
Mappers
April 8, 2023, 5:02pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,500
Gold Stars: 120
I am still unsure on keeping Taylor ,surely we need a couple of better ones if we are to go right through ?
Was that big one up top any good for Hartlepool yesterday ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 123
lew chaterleys lover
April 8, 2023, 5:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,763
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Mappers

I think we need a few big ens Ron
How many outfield players have we got that are over 6 foot maybe 5 or 6 in the whole squad ?

We need a couple of lumps up top for sure ,if we are going to launch it (which we invariably do at times ) we need one there (Taylor like ) and then one for off the bench

I would actually look at going 4 up top at home  when teams park the bus and its in the air a lot , i know Paul wouldnt but something drastic needs to happen to improve results at home next season .

Hurst will always be defensive and I think we have to accept that is just the way of it.

Yesterday post match he said something like you see, this is what going gung ho does when you are chasing the game...

Most of us might describe it as going forward in search of a goal to get us back in it but in his world it is gung ho.

My late dear friend RRFC said Hurst plays the percentages which is another way of saying he is very cautious and trys not to lose before he ever thinks about winning, which is a fair enough strategy but it is not very exciting the majority of the time.

Private Message
Reply: 102 - 123
chaos33
April 8, 2023, 6:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,000
Gold Stars: 362
I think it’s an ok strategy away from home most of the time, but at home, in L2, when you’re Grimsby Town, this is where we’re lacking and where we need Hurst to evolve his thinking. I mean, Hartlepool are really poor but we were poorer at their place and ours. His basic strategic premise is flawed for me, as far as home games go, and the stats would support this. We need more ambition. More bravery. More confidence. We are selling ourselves short and it’s not as if the fundamental defensive strategy is actually working anyway. It’s absolutely clear it needs rethinking.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 123
April 8, 2023, 6:16pm
Guest User
Quoted from chaos33
I think it’s an ok strategy away from home most of the time, but at home, in L2, when you’re Grimsby Town, this is where we’re lacking and where we need Hurst to evolve his thinking. I mean, Hartlepool are really poor but we were poorer at their place and ours. His basic strategic premise is flawed for me, as far as home games go, and the stats would support this. We need more ambition. More bravery. More confidence. We are selling ourselves short and it’s not as if the fundamental defensive strategy is actually working anyway. It’s absolutely clear it needs rethinking.

Yep. Hurst is seemingly trying to set us up not to lose, but we've lost more than we've won at home so it ain't working.

I'd also question the declared strategy of signing players who can cover a number of positions.
At L2 level this translates to 'at best average in all of them', I'd suggest.

Better to sign players who know their position and what it entails at our level. Starting with both full-back positions.
Reply: 104 - 123
ginnywings
April 8, 2023, 8:22pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,154
Gold Stars: 548
Thought I would give it a day of reflection, which usually does the trick after a poor performance, but not this time. I'm still p1ssed off with that shambles yesterday and sick to death of watching crappy football at BP. How PH could fart about with that sub standard team and formation on a day with a big expectant holiday crowd, and then pass it off with a shrug in his post match interview was beyond the pale for me.

We've had almost 20 years of poor fare to contend with, including relegations and non league dross. I have kept going right through the lot, buying my season ticket and thinking it will get better, especially when the new owners came in, but I'm just about done with it now.

Listening to his pre match comments saying the budget is bigger, but not as big as some imagine, then banging on about players earning too much and demanding wages he doesn't want to pay because it might upset the group, got me thinking about what we will get next season. Will it be another group of honest triers who will run all day but can't do the football basics? Will we get any players who get you out of your seat?

I've got a campervan sat on the front doing nothing at weekends because I give up my time and money to watch Town when we are at home, and unless we get in some players for next season that genuinely get the juices flowing, then my money will instead be getting spent on fuel for the van.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 123
Mappers
April 8, 2023, 8:26pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,500
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from ginnywings
Thought I would give it a day of reflection, which usually does the trick after a poor performance, but not this time. I'm still p1ssed off with that shambles yesterday and sick to death of watching crappy football at BP. How PH could fart about with that sub standard team and formation on a day with a big expectant holiday crowd, and then pass it off with a shrug in his post match interview was beyond the pale for me.

We've had almost 20 years of poor fare to contend with, including relegations and non league dross. I have kept going right through the lot, buying my season ticket and thinking it will get better, especially when the new owners came in, but I'm just about done with it now.

Listening to his pre match comments saying the budget is bigger, but not as big as some imagine, then banging on about players earning too much and demanding wages he doesn't want to pay because it might upset the group, got me thinking about what we will get next season. Will it be another group of honest triers who will run all day but can't do the football basics? Will we get any players who get you out of your seat?

I've got a campervan sat on the front doing nothing at weekends because I give up my time and money to watch Town when we are at home, and unless we get in some players for next season that genuinely get the juices flowing, then my money will instead be getting spent on fuel for the van.

You could use the van to go to away games mate , we play better away ! and u would not need a hotel !

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 123
chaos33
April 8, 2023, 8:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,000
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from ginnywings

Can I come please? I’ll split the fuel and buy pasties. 🙂
Dales, Lakes, Scotland….

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 123
ginnywings
April 8, 2023, 9:06pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,154
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from chaos33

Can I come please? I’ll split the fuel and buy pasties. 🙂
Dales, Lakes, Scotland….

It's only got 2 seats mate and Ms ginny has dibs on the other one.

We are away next weekend for a family do, so I will miss the Mansfield game, and to be honest I'm not that fussed. Will probably miss the the rest of the home games too and take off travelling all points North.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 123
moosey_club
April 8, 2023, 9:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,306
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from 123614

You cannot blame PH for the first two goals that Kemp? scored.  They were almost identical, centre of the penalty area, not a soul within 5 yards of him, all the time in the world to pick his spot.

I can blame him for wasting 45 mins of the game by selecting an ineffective side and formation. We were one down and chasing the game when we never should have been if he had started with some attacking intent.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 123
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Absolutely disgusted

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.