This thread currently has 7,288 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Dodorondon
March 31, 2023, 1:51pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Approval: -31
Gold Stars: 6
Few will remember the home debut of George McLean in the mid 60s. In came a perfect corner at head height and a certain goal. George launched into a bicycle kick and the ball disappeared out the ground. Next a wonderful low ball into the box, perfect for a side foot into the net. George threw himself into a diving header which spun away for a throw in.

Oh how we laughed…… but 92 appearances, 41 goals. Douglas Lamming described this in his who’s who as a ‘fair scoring record’! A much loved and decidedly above average goal scorer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 87
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 31, 2023, 1:59pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,281
Gold Stars: 306
There are so many, but...

Geoff `Spike` Stephenson at home. Possibly his full debut. Never made a tackle. Got roasted every time the opposition attacked. Looked like a rabbit in headlights from about 20 minutes in.

Absolutely woeful.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 87
pontoonlew
March 31, 2023, 2:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,041
Gold Stars: 177
One that sticks out aside from the obvious Forecast one is Lee Ridley away at York, the day Jason Walker scored an overhead kick.

Ridley was alright, not great but not bad, but I witnessed the day he retired from football in 90 mins. The York 3 of Chambers, Walker & Blair took it in turns to rip the poor guy to pieces and he never recovered from it, he was absolutely shite from that day until he left.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 87
Son of Cod
March 31, 2023, 2:13pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from pontoonlew
One that sticks out aside from the obvious Forecast one is Lee Ridley away at York, the day Jason Walker scored an overhead kick.

Ridley was alright, not great but not bad, but I witnessed the day he retired from football in 90 mins. The York 3 of Chambers, Walker & Blair took it in turns to rip the poor guy to pieces and he never recovered from it, he was absolutely shite from that day until he left.

Matty Blair always used to seem to tear it up against us, hated us having to play against him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 87
Gainsbro_Mariner
March 31, 2023, 3:12pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 14
Quoted from Abdul19
Probably already mentioned, but captain fantastic Matt Heywood at home to Darlo in 2008. Dragged off after 34 minutes with us 2 down (with goals by past and future Mariners).

https://www.11v11.com/matches/grimsby-town-v-darlington-01-november-2008-283281/

Gotta be in for a shout of one of the most disappointing signings in the clubs history, his spell here killed his career dead.

Came to us after rejecting a new contract at Brentford where had just won their "Player of the Season" award, was only 29 years old and had prior experience at Burnley, Bristol City and Swindon (also winning a POTY award)

Came to us, played regularly up until October, then just a few odd appearances here and there, only made 1 appearance the following year before being released. Ended up at Barrow whilst they were in the NL North and didn't even get on the field. Played 9 times for Buxton the following season in the 8th tier of football and then retired at the age of 31.

No idea what happened to him after retirement.

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 87
Stew0_0
March 31, 2023, 3:20pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 35
Tommy Forecast's (on loan from Southampton), debut and only performance for town. Conceded 5 goals and looked like he won a competition
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 87
Mappers
March 31, 2023, 3:29pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,341
Gold Stars: 119
Another one who could get a mention is Lee Nogan (I didnt think he was playing particularly badly ) but Sir Alan did and he was hauled off before half time after a brief exchange with the general , i dont believe he was seen in a Town shirt again much after .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 87
Poojah
March 31, 2023, 3:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,607
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from Stew0_0
Tommy Forecast's (on loan from Southampton), debut and only performance for town. Conceded 5 goals and looked like he won a competition

Wasn’t his only game. He played four times, and he even manage to get a clean sheet and 3 points in one of them, would you believe?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 87
Les Brechin
March 31, 2023, 3:32pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,713
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Stew0_0

It was 4 he conceded on his debut but he did play another few games for us. I can remember him being in goal at Bury when we won 1-0.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 87
TwoLeftFeet
March 31, 2023, 3:33pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,082
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from Mappers
Another one who could get a mention is Lee Nogan (I didnt think he was playing particularly badly ) but Sir Alan did and he was hauled off before half time after a brief exchange with the general , i dont believe he was seen in a Town shirt again much after .

Seem to remember Nogan switched off from defending a throw in, in front of us and him and Buckley had words.. only gonna be one winner there!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 87
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hilariously inept performances

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.