Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Scunthorpe.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Scunthorpe.

This thread currently has 718,366 views. Print
455 Pages Prev ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... Next All Recommend Thread
AdamHaddock
September 1, 2022, 12:03pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +37 / -5
Approval: +2,842
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Jolley would be flipping hilarious. Barrow found him out a lot quicker than we did.

Bring on the Matt Dean interviews...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 210 - 4548
Southwark Mariner
September 1, 2022, 1:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,572
Gold Stars: 84
Tweet 1565233090661842946 will appear here...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 211 - 4548
pizzzza
September 1, 2022, 1:48pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,721
Gold Stars: 137
Never mind Tony Daws... They'll be falling through the trap Daw (again!) with a bit of luck
Private Message
Reply: 212 - 4548
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 1, 2022, 4:30pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,350
Gold Stars: 309
Sliding Daws

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 213 - 4548
DB
September 1, 2022, 5:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.35
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,065
Gold Stars: 391
I see Swan went for the cheap option.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 214 - 4548
GollyGTFC
September 1, 2022, 9:35pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,991
Gold Stars: 361
Quoted from Poojah

Jolley always struck me as someone who did his research and, having performed a miracle in keeping us up, seemed to be unhealthily aware of the value Town fans of a certain age place on attractive football having grown up in the Buckley years.

His attempts at recreating Buckley brand sexy football were at least vaguely on track for 45 minutes, before one of the greatest Town capitulations I’ve witnessed saw us concede 4 to Forest Green in the second half of our opening game and lose 4-1. I think it was at that point he realised he had neither the budget nor talent to have us play anything other than pragmatic football and that’s what got served up for the rest of that season.

Having been burned by that, he appeared to go into full-on, anti-football, opposite mode, signing 8ft 6” James Hanson and putting all his chips on winning cheap free-kicks and throw-ins in the opposition half in order to stick the ball on his head.

And to be fair, that strategy worked for quite a bit longer than 45 minutes - we were 4th in the league after 6 games and remained in the play-offs after beating Exeter 3-1 away in that Ethan Robson inspired game in our 11th. Not a bad way to react to having our àrse handed to us by Chelsea.

That Exeter victory, on the 28th September, would be his last win in the Town dugout, before he resigned on 15th November. What’s often forgotten though is that we only played 4 games in that time - with two consecutive games called off (international duty and a wind-damaged Plymouth stadium), and his last match as manager was actually less than a month after that Exeter win on 22nd October - a 0-0 draw at Cambridge. We were 16th but only two points shy of 9th.

People seem to recall Holloway coming in over New Year and turning into us some sort of footballing machine, but I think a lot of that is caught up in the excitement of the time. Jolley’s PPG that season was 1.27; Holloway’s 1.5. Better yes, but not massively so.

Jolley did alright here. It wasn’t always exciting but on balance he was comfortably the best part of our 2016 / 2020 Hurst sandwich. And I can’t vouch for what type of bloke he was, but if anyone can tell me that he was more odious than Bignot, Slade or that cúnt Holloway then I will fall off my chair.

I get the tallest dwarf argument and all that, but I do think with the board and budget in place now we’d have seen something much more palatable from Jolley’s teams than he was able to produce under the conditions he had to work under.

He took over a club 6 points above the relegation zone and managed to steer us to finishing 5 points above the relegation zone by the end of the season. The 2 points in 5 or 6 matches after he was appointed (I can't remember if he took charge of the game at Carlisle the day after his appointment) was the reason we got dragged into a proper relegation battle.

And we had some luck in the final 5 games that season. The penalty given against Chesterfield was the type often not given. And the penalty given at Swindon was neither a foul nor in the penalty area.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 215 - 4548
Poojah
September 1, 2022, 9:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +30,045
Gold Stars: 1,535
Quoted from GollyGTFC

He took over a club 6 points above the relegation zone and managed to steer us to finishing 5 points above the relegation zone by the end of the season. The 2 points in 5 or 6 matches after he was appointed (I can't remember if he took charge of the game at Carlisle the day after his appointment) was the reason we got dragged into a proper relegation battle.

And we had some luck in the final 5 games that season. The penalty given against Chesterfield was the type often not given. And the penalty given at Swindon was neither a foul nor in the penalty area.

Context. We had gone 15 games without a win prior to his first game in the dugout and were in absolute free fall. All about opinions but for me he did a remarkable job keeping us up.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 216 - 4548
blundellpork
September 1, 2022, 9:49pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,681
Gold Stars: 34
Slade had completely destroyed that team and we were destined for relegation. All of our creative players and goal scorers had departed, and you couldn’t see where another win was coming from. Whoever came in needed time to get a tune out of that team, but Jolley found a way to do it.

Yes, we got lucky with penalties, but you have to make your own luck. Is it any wonder that teams who spend more time in the oppositions box get more penalties. Jolley managed to tighten us up at the back, and we got lucky giving it a go at the other end.

His first full season was respectable, and he made some decent signings. Sadly it was the decision to go more direct in his second season to an ageing Hanson and Green that left us one dimensional and easy to stop.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 217 - 4548
jamesgtfc
September 1, 2022, 9:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -6
Approval: +13,105
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from GollyGTFC

What your precious little stats don't tell you is how dreadful and rotten morale was. It was obvious to everyone that if we didn't roll the dice, we were going down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 218 - 4548
davmariner
September 1, 2022, 10:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,983
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Bloody hell did he shag your wife or something?

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 219 - 4548
455 Pages Prev ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Scunthorpe.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.