Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Scunthorpe.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Scunthorpe.

This thread currently has 713,209 views. Print
455 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Jarmo.Is.God
August 30, 2022, 9:12am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
It's all bringing back memories of our first season down there, and to be fair, its bloody great from an outside point of view!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 4546
DB
August 30, 2022, 9:33am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.42
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,048
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from RonMariner
Wow, this has gotta be hurting their fans.

I was pleased when they got relegated, mainly because it felt like payback for the gloating some of their fans did when we were at rock bottom. But I wouldn't like to see them disappear completely because the occasional derby game against them is always a lively event, For the foreseeable future it looks like this will only happen in a cup competition as I doubt they will be back in the EFL for a while.

Regarding any takeover, the problem is going to be the ground.  Swann's company owns it and effectively paid £11 million for it. So a prospective buyer faces the choice of buying the club without a ground, which Swann might not agree to, or agreeing a price with Swann for the ground.

From  Swann's perspective he can either accept a few million for the ground or, alternatively, sell the club only, and then sell off the land the ground stands on for development. It would depend on which gave him more cash unless he is feeling generous.

I have no idea how much the ground is worth as real estate. But it looks like a similar situation to the Derby County saga. Mel Morris bought the ground for £80 million as a way of getting funds into the club without breaching fair pay rules. In the end I think the new owners paid him around £22 million for it, which is probably less than it would cost to build a new one.    

I could see a scenario where a consortium buys the club without the ground, and then has to ground share for a while. Not a great prospect, but at least they would be debt free. The problem is that ground sharing, as we saw with Coventry City, inevitably drives gates down.

Boy oh boy. Yet another club wrecked by poor ownership. It might have been us.

I'm pretty sure we all know how lucky we were when 2 tyre kickers bought Town. Those at Glanford Park are now looking up at us.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 4546
MuddyWaters
August 30, 2022, 10:38am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from RonMariner
Wow, this has gotta be hurting their fans.

I was pleased when they got relegated, mainly because it felt like payback for the gloating some of their fans did when we were at rock bottom. But I wouldn't like to see them disappear completely because the occasional derby game against them is always a lively event, For the foreseeable future it looks like this will only happen in a cup competition as I doubt they will be back in the EFL for a while.

Regarding any takeover, the problem is going to be the ground.  Swann's company owns it and effectively paid £11 million for it. So a prospective buyer faces the choice of buying the club without a ground, which Swann might not agree to, or agreeing a price with Swann for the ground.

From  Swann's perspective he can either accept a few million for the ground or, alternatively, sell the club only, and then sell off the land the ground stands on for development. It would depend on which gave him more cash unless he is feeling generous.

I have no idea how much the ground is worth as real estate. But it looks like a similar situation to the Derby County saga. Mel Morris bought the ground for £80 million as a way of getting funds into the club without breaching fair pay rules. In the end I think the new owners paid him around £22 million for it, which is probably less than it would cost to build a new one.    

I could see a scenario where a consortium buys the club without the ground, and then has to ground share for a while. Not a great prospect, but at least they would be debt free. The problem is that ground sharing, as we saw with Coventry City, inevitably drives gates down.

Boy oh boy. Yet another club wrecked by poor ownership. It might have been us.

I’ve met Mr Swann. He takes arrogant to another level. Karma.
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 4546
RonMariner
August 30, 2022, 10:47am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,814
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from MuddyWaters

It's not him I feel for. It's those genuine fans that will have to live with the consequences of his ownership long after he has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 4546
exiledmeggie
August 30, 2022, 11:22am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / -6
Approval: -209
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Scunthorpe were always going to struggle in the National League. When was the last time someone finishing 24th in League 2 did well in their first season down there?

Thanks. My digestive has just plummeted, quicker than the Scunts, to the bottom of my mug of tea over that!

Living in Exile since 1980, but still have Black and White blood!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 4546
dapperz fun pub
August 30, 2022, 12:04pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,048
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I’ve met him aswell but he’s not the worst I’ve met 😎
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 4546
toontown
August 30, 2022, 1:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,276
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Have you met fenty too? Who was more arrogant in your opinion?

My money would be on Swann.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 4546
aldi_01
August 30, 2022, 1:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from toontown

Have you met fenty too? Who was more arrogant in your opinion?

My money would be on Swann.

When you’ve had the displeasure of meeting Fenty, Swann and Steve Evans it’s impossible to choose…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 4546
TonySmith
August 30, 2022, 2:32pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +968
Gold Stars: 11
     I guess I've mellowed in old age and like to think I've got some perspective now. Living here in the US and mostly following Town through the internet and one or two live games on my annual trip to the UK probably plays into this too, but I have to say that the current state of Scunthorpe United gives me very little pleasure. Yes, I'm fine with them being in the National League and learning what it's all about the hard way, just as Town had to do for several years, but I'm not going to be gloating and hoping they drop into the NL North or go out of business. I genuinely hope that at the very least they can avoid relegation, get decent new owners, and start the slow process of building towards at least having a realistic shot at getting back into the football league.

It took us 6 long years of gradual year on year improvement to get back first time and I'll be perfectly fine if a similar scenario awaits Scunny, but their genuine supporters deserve that, at least. And who knows what the next few years hold for Town? Right now, everything looks positive, and all seems to be heading in the right direction with capable people who know their business in charge both behind the scenes and on the field, but things can change in football and a few poor results can make things look very different. We've been there, we know that, and it hurts. Also, from a Town perspective, games against Scunthorpe have always had a little bit of extra spice about them. It would be a pity to never have that again. Hull City operate in a different orbit these days and Lincoln and Doncaster have never really been seen as the local rivals we all love to hate, so yes, I wish Scunthorpe survival and eventual success. "Eventual" being the operative word!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 4546
August 30, 2022, 2:56pm
Guest User
All of this unravelling has been obvious to outsiders. I will never cease to be amazed that Swann’s son was in charge of recruitment and that prior to appointing Cox, they bought a load of players and then expected Cox to mould them into a team. We all knew relegation was nailed on for them last year, and we all knew they’d see their own arses once they’d been beaten by the likes of [insert National league team].

Doesn’t matter who they appoint, they’re copulated. It’s just a case of how far they fall now.
Reply: 139 - 4546
455 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Scunthorpe.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.