Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Scunthorpe.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Scunthorpe.

This thread currently has 713,218 views. Print
455 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... Next All Recommend Thread
grimps
August 29, 2022, 5:50pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,149
Gold Stars: 46
Scunthorpe was never worthy of league football anyway , they won’t be back in many of our lifetimes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 4546
exiledmeggie
August 29, 2022, 6:00pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / -6
Approval: -209
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from MarinerDevil

I'm pretty sure we were bottom after 2 games in the 11/12 season after losing 2-0 to Fleetwood and then 5-0 to Braintree. We only won once in our first six games too which is almost identical to Scunny's start.

So they haven't quite exceeded our worst failings yet, but they're close.

https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/grimsby-town/2012/3/

EDIT: We weren't bottom thanks to Darlington's 10 point deduction at the start of the season. ,

https://www.worldfootball.net/schedule/eng-conference-2011-2012-spieltag/2/

As far as I remember, after two games, there was four teams on 0 points, but league tables that early in the season mean nothing, because two games later, we were never going to be in danger of relegation that season, though a return was still seasons away!

The Scunts, for what it’s worth are second bottom after six, with only one win, admittedly against a poor Yeovil side. There form is 5 wins from their last 52 matches! At the moment, I cannot see our neighbours having anything to get another win before Xmas!

Living in Exile since 1980, but still have Black and White blood!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 4546
Swansea_Mariner
August 29, 2022, 6:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
Hill sounds ridiculous, the press are entitled to ask him anything they want given the shocking run he's taken them on, it's not disrespectful its just reality.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 4546
jamesgtfc
August 29, 2022, 6:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from promotion plaice

Joking apart Keith Hill sounds like he is a good man, very protective of the welfare of his players.

Unfortunately it is a results based business.

I seem to remember not too long ago, someone called Ian hiding behind player welfare to mask his own incompetence.

RH are going to either get banned from commentating on games or Ollie Turner is going to have to commentate elsewhere if he doesn't tone down his line of questioning. I thought his interview today was good, using Tom Newry who has played the game to prevent Keith hammering Ollie for never playing the game. He asked some very tough questions and it seems clear that Keith doesn't recognise Lee Turnbull.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 4546
exiledmeggie
August 29, 2022, 6:49pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / -6
Approval: -209
Gold Stars: 19
Living in exile away from BP, I’m not able to pick up Hullberside in my car! But to be honest, it is time they asked seriously about the fall and oblivion Swann has out the Scunts in. His previous form at Gainsborough Trinity does not give me any hope for them staying in the Conference.

Living in Exile since 1980, but still have Black and White blood!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 4546
MuddyWaters
August 29, 2022, 7:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Peter Swann is the gift that keeps on giving.
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 4546
Lost in Lincoln
August 29, 2022, 7:45pm
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +388
Gold Stars: 7
They were going to urine the league weren't they after they beat Yeovil?

How the (not so) mighty have fallen.

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 116 - 4546
Poojah
August 29, 2022, 9:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,743
Gold Stars: 1,509
Well, there’s no way of sugar coating it, that was a disastrous result in disastrous fashion for Scunny, who find themselves with 5 defeats on the bounce and as good as bottom of the National League. As early as we are in the season, I think it’s clear already that the prospects of Scunny occupying one of the division’s four relegation spots in 40 matches time are high.

Which raises an interesting moral question: is it funny?

I’ve given this some thought at length and I’ve decided that the only decent and reasonable conclusion any person with love in their heart can arrive at is “no”. Hear me out; I get that they ridiculed us at the height of our darkest days, all the while enjoying life in the Championship and the top end of League One.

And I get that many of their fans took delight in our decline and would happily had us condemned to non-league for all eternity if they had been given the choice; maybe even worse. But you have to wake up and appreciate the sheer horror of what is going down at Glanford Park right now.

A once proud and successful club, being systematically destroyed at the behest of one grotesquely overweight man and his selfish, ill thought ideas that have unravelled faster than the speed of light. A club that, just a matter of seasons ago, was playing league fixtures against the likes of Newcastle, Crystal Palace and Wolves could well be in the same division next season as Atherton Colleries, Warrington Rylands and Alvechurch (no, me either).

A club that having just experienced one of the most humiliating football league relegations in living memory, looks well set to follow that up with yet another, straight into regional league football from where they might never, ever recover. Another Workington, gone and forever forgotten in the blink of a generation.

With fans, in many ways just like us, following an unfashionable team from an unfashionable, northern town, paying their way each week to watch and support their team, often with little success to celebrate along the way. Fans who will be unable to sleep tonight, crying into their beer not because of what has happened to their club but because of what is yet to happen.

Witnessing the Iron get sent back to the Stone Age. Like Bury. Like Macclesfield. Like Darlington. Like Scarborough, and so many others before them. I’m sorry, I know I might be in the minority on this but you’d have to be sick in the head to find any of that funny.

It simply is not.

…IT’S ABSOLUTELY FÚCKING HILARIOUS!!!111

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 4546
Hagrid
August 29, 2022, 9:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,487
Gold Stars: 536
Peter Swann on John Fenty

“ dont ever compare me to that man”
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 4546
aldi_01
August 29, 2022, 9:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
It’s difficult, I find myself having some sort of sympathy, but I do think that’s mainly due to a really good friend being a home and away scunny fan who is always the first to congratulate me when town do well and hasn’t ever taken the kids when it’s been excrement.

Listening to him, it’s horrific. The similarities between scunny and town under Fenty are alarming and whilst we never ended up as bad, I’ve no doubt that had the May ‘deal’ ever been allowed then we’d be done to.

Winning their first game was probably the worst thing that could’ve happened, it gave them false hope and a sense of optimism. That’s been quickly diminished and now the stark reality of the situation is laid bare in front of them.

I know many a scunny fan mocked us, much like some of ours seem determined to mock them, Lincoln and hull the same. I guess that’s football but as a fan I also know exactly how they feel and if it were my club I’d be truly gutted.

Only tonight there are rumours doing the rounds among scunny fans that a possible ground share with Gainsborough is being discussed given that they’re merely tenants at their ground…there irony isn’t lost on me.

It’s a tragic mess and whilst I’ll flipping howl every time they lose, especially to the true non league teams, I can’t help but want them to succeed and find their way back. We’re only a excrement season from joining them again, well, perhaps but you know what I mean.

A derby game is part of football but right now it looks a million miles away…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 4546
455 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Scunthorpe.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.