Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Scunthorpe.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Scunthorpe.

This thread currently has 718,337 views. Print
455 Pages Prev ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... Next All Recommend Thread
aldi_01
September 4, 2022, 10:27am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Civvy at last

We let Fenty get away with far too much for far too long.

If it wasn’t for the Alex May debacle I genuinely believe he’d still be the owner. Whilst I doubt we’d have sunk as far as Scunny, I reckon we’d still be non-league  !!!

I’m a big believer in this. Town fans making comments about Scunny fans giving up or not fighting for their club is a bit hypocritical. In the 20 years Fenty copulated us we had a couple of flimsy and half arsed protests in the car park, some people slinging a few banners up and that was it.

It wasn’t until Alex May that fans mobilised, and still we have some that speak fondly of Fenty etc so we’re really not in any position to have a pop at them for being ok with it.

Had he been allowed and not been a male private regarding May we’d still be non league and probably scrapping with Scunny for the prize of the worst team in the conference.

You only have to read between the lines of things that have been said, things that have been told to us and evidence of ex players to realise we were copulated. Rotten, on life support, heading in to football oblivion.

Do I enjoy seeing scunny lose every week, course i flipping do. That’s a football thing. Do I like what’s going on at the club? Not at all, it’s a flipping disgrace.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 270 - 4548
Mariner_09
September 4, 2022, 10:41am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
I think those comparing Swann to Fenty are actually harsh on JF. Yes, JF made some absolutely shocking decisions, decisions he refused to accept were wrong and did irreparable damage on numerous occasions. However, he didn’t make wilfully destructive decisions like Swann has done. Fenty never pensioned off the ground to himself or lost total interest. We never fell to these depths as he never pulled all funding in the way Swann has. I’m not for a second saying Fenty was a good owner, just that he’s not as bad as Swann.

Regards Scunny, the situation short and long term is bleak. Short term, unless there is a takeover and then massive investment in the squad in January, they look doomed for consecutive relegations already. I thought they’d struggle but not this badly this quickly. I’m not sure sacking Hill will make any difference as who else is going to want that job? It’s a poisoned chalice.

Long term, their issues (unlike ours) can’t just be solved with a takeover, the prospect of ground sharing must be terrifying. How on earth could they possibly rebuild if they were ground sharing with Brigg or whoever?

There is some comedy value in them spending a year or two in the NLN, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Humberside coverage stopped in that circumstance. However, I wouldn’t wish oblivion on them. Firstly, it seems eminently possible given their situation and what goes around comes around. It’s our time in the sun now but it will go rubbish again sooner or later.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 271 - 4548
toontown
September 4, 2022, 10:46am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,267
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Mariner_09
I think those comparing Swann to Fenty are actually harsh on JF. Yes, JF made some absolutely shocking decisions, decisions he refused to accept were wrong and did irreparable damage on numerous occasions. However, he didn’t make wilfully destructive decisions like Swann has done. Fenty never pensioned off the ground to himself or lost total interest. We never fell to these depths as he never pulled all funding in the way Swann has. I’m not for a second saying Fenty was a good owner, just that he’s not as bad as Swann.

Regards Scunny, the situation short and long term is bleak. Short term, unless there is a takeover and then massive investment in the squad in January, they look doomed for consecutive relegations already. I thought they’d struggle but not this badly this quickly. I’m not sure sacking Hill will make any difference as who else is going to want that job? It’s a poisoned chalice.

Long term, their issues (unlike ours) can’t just be solved with a takeover, the prospect of ground sharing must be terrifying. How on earth could they possibly rebuild if they were ground sharing with Brigg or whoever?

There is some comedy value in them spending a year or two in the NLN, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Humberside coverage stopped in that circumstance. However, I wouldn’t wish oblivion on them. Firstly, it seems eminently possible given their situation and what goes around comes around. It’s our time in the sun now but it will go rubbish again sooner or later.

Didn't make wilfully destructive decisions?

How about trying to get a known thief and fraudster involved with the ownership of the club?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 272 - 4548
MuddyWaters
September 4, 2022, 10:47am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,291
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Mariner_09

I don’t think that there’s much difference between the two. Both narcissists but the Swann family piggy bank was much bigger. They’ve also significantly reduced their horse racing operation and many of their horses now are home bred rather than bought at the sales. Fenty didn’t have as big a slush fund so when he got to the bottom, he had to start clawing it back.
Private Message
Reply: 273 - 4548
aldi_01
September 4, 2022, 10:54am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Mariner_09

Morning John.

You probably need to read in to our old mate John and realise why so many similarities are made between the two…

I mean remember when Fenty threatened to shut down the fishy? Swann did the same…

There’s a starter for ten…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 274 - 4548
HertsGTFC
September 4, 2022, 11:04am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,077
Gold Stars: 238
I worry for the true supporters of Scunthorpe United. Their team looked doomed to another relegation unless a miracle worker comes in to take the managers job. Financially they're in a mess and I just wonder if there are more skeletons in the cupboard.

They say they have had an offer for the club excepted but who is the interested party and do they have the best interests of the club at heart. As long as any new owner can tell the NL that the ball is round and you start the game with 11 players then you'd expect that "governance"" would not be allowed to get in the way.

You could say that when they where doing well their support lapped it up and now should take the rough with the smooth regardless but clearly one man has once again put a football club that means something to 2,000 or so people in real jeopardy, surely that can't be right..    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 275 - 4548
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
September 4, 2022, 11:33am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
I genuinely fear for Scunnys survival as a football club and that is very very sad. As a Town fan I would happily see them dropping down the leagues but I don't want them to die.

The problem they have, as I see it, is that they no longer own their ground. They have no assets per se, as the team is worth nothing. I doubt running costs are covered by their ever decreasing gate receipts which will eventually lead to laying off of back room staff, then the players will stop getting paid, leading to administration and points deduction. Administration would also end in a winding up order as there is nothing to sell to pay off the debt. I don't know how Swann persuaded the National League that Scunny would be able to fulfill their fixtures, I also don't know how he can expect to sell the club, minus stadium, for anything more than £10. Scunny are well and truly in the excrement and, in my opinion, destined to be the next Bury.

The only reason Fenty didn't do the same to Town was because the ground, or the land it's on wasn't worth anything like the value of Glanford Park, and he got found out early enough for something to be done. Towns fanbase eventually got organised and there was a concerted effort to get Fenty out. Scunny fans are still in shock and need to get themselves organised pretty sharpish. Good luck to them because they need it. Time is running out.

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 276 - 4548
It Bites
September 4, 2022, 11:36am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,227
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from toontown

Didn't make wilfully destructive decisions?

How about trying to get a known thief and fraudster involved with the ownership of the club?

The Clincher for me was when one of our directors said May didn't do anything that bad . That made my mind up the our Directors were not the sort of people I wanted to be associated with a football club that is the heartbeat of the community
Private Message
Reply: 277 - 4548
TheRealJohnLewis
September 4, 2022, 12:33pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from Mariner_09

Both were/are killing a club but via different methods. One was a death by a thousand cuts, the other via a guillotine. One is swift and quick, the other slow and painful, and both end in death. Lucky Florence Nightingale has come to Town's aid with enough plasters to start to cover up those cuts and fix the damage.

Private Message
Reply: 278 - 4548
FPVmariner
September 4, 2022, 12:41pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 23
And off we go yet again with fenty, when will people realise that he’s little more than a spoilt child.  Like a child he lives for attention, good or not so good.  The only time I really want to see his name mentioned is in a sentence/statement where he agrees to hand back the £200k he extorted from the trust.
Private Message
Reply: 279 - 4548
455 Pages Prev ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Scunthorpe.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.