Poojah
January 26, 2022, 11:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,533
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Am presuming that when Hearn left alfreton and bogle left Solihull they were in the same division?

Hearn had just been promoted with Alfreton so technically were in the same division, but had never played at National League level. Bogle was in the division below at the time, but like Hearn had been pretty prolific.

My point being that going more than a division below your level is rarely successful. Boulding was at Mansfield in the fourth tier when we were playing in the second, but was an unusually late starter having previously pursued a tennis career.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 78
GrimRob
January 26, 2022, 12:34pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
I think we all agree that we don't have a goalscorer, but isn't it his job to have recruited one by now? I appreciate it's not an easy position to fill but if you look at the top scorers' page (https://www.thefishy.co.uk/top-scorers.php?table=5), you will see players from:

Aldershot, Bromley, Chesterfield, FC Halifax, Maidenhead Utd, Notts County, Solihull Moors, Stockport, Torquay, Woking, Wrexham

There's a whole selection of big and small clubs in there, but we're not and none of our players are remotely near the top of this list. Clubs with lesser budgets than us have found scorers, why haven't we?

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 11 - 78
Grimsby2012
January 26, 2022, 12:40pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -8
Approval: -1,466
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from 123614
Yes I am, but, and there is always a but, I would ask him to sit back for the rest of this week, and not analyse our next opponent too much, but take a look at WHY we are on such a bad run.  My personal opinion, and possibly a lot of others too is simple, we are not scoring goals.  Answer.....get a goal scorer in

Damn... Someone really needs to relay that vital information  to Hurst. I think your the first person to even come close to figuring out our lack of goals and the losing streak we're on

If only more fans thought this deep in complexity, we might have come to this consultation much sooner.

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go ahead   If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your replies  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 78
ginnywings
January 26, 2022, 2:29pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,126
Gold Stars: 548
Or we find our goalscoring touch again. We were knocking plenty of goals in earlier in the season. Had we continued in that vein, we would have one or two at the top end of the goalscoring charts.

At a loss as to why we suddenly find it so difficult. Clearly PH is too.

Confidence, belief?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 78
Bigdog
January 26, 2022, 2:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from ginnywings
Or we find our goalscoring touch again. We were knocking plenty of goals in earlier in the season. Had we continued in that vein, we would have one or two at the top end of the goalscoring charts.

At a loss as to why we suddenly find it so difficult. Clearly PH is too.

Confidence, belief?

Yep, if PH hasn't got any left then what chance the players.. Scary post match interview of a broken man last night. Didn't inspire me one bit and I don't have to work for him or carry out his orders every day..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 78
Hagrid
January 26, 2022, 3:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,413
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from Bigdog

Yep, if PH hasn't got any left then what chance the players.. Scary post match interview of a broken man last night. Didn't inspire me one bit and I don't have to work for him or carry out his orders every day..

as ive said on another thread it upset me last nights interview- felt real sadness for PH

But he has to pick himself up as we have HUGE game On Saturday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 78
Mayaman
January 26, 2022, 3:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,400
Gold Stars: 74
Could be a number of factors:

1 Confidence / belief - players were shooting from everywhere at the beginning of the season.  If it doesn't go in you might get a lucky deflection, score on the rebound or get a corner.   The question is why did that 'having a pop change?'  

2. Play to your strengths -  I am no tactician but he fiddles to much depending on who we play.  We want a settled side but changing formation every five minutes prevents that.  It also has players playing in odd positions - McAtee last week.

3. Dropping players who have had a bad game.  We all perform badly from time to time.  If somebody is having a 'mare, sub him but don't can him for the next game.  This creates a climate of fear - when we are in that situation, we often screw up.

4.  Respect but don't big up your opposition too much.  I played footie in Mexico and they often thought I was German.  At first I didn't like it, but then I realised if I confirmed I was, it gave me an edge. It made me a better player than I was. Trying bigging up your own team.

5. DUIgate / youthswhoareboredwiththeareagate.

It's probably a combination of the above.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 78
Badger57
January 26, 2022, 3:54pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,896
Gold Stars: 30
So am I... Pushing him out the door! 😁
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 78
Zmariner
January 26, 2022, 11:03pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,127
Gold Stars: 44
I have reflected on this now. I am with Hurst for the whole of Feb - no crying if we draw against Wealdstone. If we have a rotten month then hard to defend. Up to the end of feb 100% support from me. I have not seen a home game that we deserved to lose and I donot go to away games any more.
We are due a bit of luck and Hurst looked smashed on his interview last night. He is a decent guy and I am not seeing a lack of effort here. There is a lack of quality that is clear.
Only 2 will escape this pit this season, if we cannot escape let it be Stockport and Wrexham , that would be a much better division next season
Feels like a time for pulling together and not pathetic protests.
I am fully behind the team and I have been really saddened by some of the recent hysteria and it has pulled me back in to support. I am as guilty as the next man of a rant when full of emotion after a defeat but enough is enough. 100% support and take the pressure off them , the team looks nervous and that is just confidence.
100% IN - UP THE MARINERS
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 78
aldi_01
January 27, 2022, 5:46am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
It’s difficult because some folk will find it hard to be pragmatic about things but aside from Dagenham, possibly Tuesday and Bromley away I don’t think we’ve really been battered or dominated yet we still haven’t won.

We were the makers of our down fall against Bromley and Halifax and we missed a prime chance on Tuesday and would probably have seen out the draw.

It’s frustrating and I don’t think there’s just one reason for it which makes it all the harder to kinda stop. It will stop though and we will turn a corner but I am well aware that for some, that won’t come soon enough. We’ve also got to contend with the fact that some town fans are giant babies and can’t forgive a man that called them out and rightly so, so they’ve been almost wishing him to fail…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 78
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › I am still 100% behind Paul Hurst

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.