Poojah
January 28, 2022, 9:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,424
Gold Stars: 1,499
Quoted from GrimPol
"You do realise we got Hurst from a lower division"    YES, and we waited seven years for him to get us up.
So if we get someone new and untried,  that's  2029 for Div 4.

Not particularly one for pedantry but Hurst and his chum Rob Scott were appointed in late March 2011 and we were promoted in May 2016, so a little over 5 years.

Scott was sacked in 2013, so Hurst had three full seasons in sole charge, reaching the play-off semi-finals once, the play-off final once and then finally winning the play-offs the following season.

Yeah, there were frustrating moments. That’s football to a degree, but they were there for sure. And maybe we were lucky in some aspects of our one successful play-off campaign. But if that’s true, then we were incredibly unlucky against Gateshead and Bristol Rovers in the previous seasons.

It’s not that difficult to make a good argument to sack Hurst, he’d have been long gone at most clubs under remotely similar circumstances. But he is a steady Eddie if nothing else. Given sufficient time, history suggests he’d get things settled down. I don’t believe he’d leave the club in ruins, as others have done.

In the past, a lack of due diligence when appointing managers has given us loose cannons like Mike Newell, Marcus Bignot (even though his statistical record looks surprisingly good in retrospect, he was a madman) and most recently Ian Holloway.

And so by all means, if we reach those crossroads and decide the only option is to pull the trigger then so be it. But we had better have done our homework first on who we want to replace him.

Whatever we do now carries risk, but one route is more familiar than the other. If we decide to go in the other direction we have to be very confident it’s the best one to take.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 78
Oly1987
January 29, 2022, 1:31am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,227
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from pen penfras

It's also bullshit, so wouldn't really pay much notice to it. A bit like Hurst has only won 10% of his last 100 games, it's not true and the truth is bad enough. We've had a lot of managers, but it isn't that many.

I believe the OP I quoted included interim managers in that number too which makes it very plausible.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 78
dapperz fun pub
January 29, 2022, 7:15am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Poojah

Not particularly one for pedantry but Hurst and his chum Rob Scott were appointed in late March 2011 and we were promoted in May 2016, so a little over 5 years.

Scott was sacked in 2013, so Hurst had three full seasons in sole charge, reaching the play-off semi-finals once, the play-off final once and then finally winning the play-offs the following season.

Yeah, there were frustrating moments. That’s football to a degree, but they were there for sure. And maybe we were lucky in some aspects of our one successful play-off campaign. But if that’s true, then we were incredibly unlucky against Gateshead and Bristol Rovers in the previous seasons.

It’s not that difficult to make a good argument to sack Hurst, he’d have been long gone at most clubs under remotely similar circumstances. But he is a steady Eddie if nothing else. Given sufficient time, history suggests he’d get things settled down. I don’t believe he’d leave the club in ruins, as others have done.

In the past, a lack of due diligence when appointing managers has given us loose cannons like Mike Newell, Marcus Bignot (even though his statistical record looks surprisingly good in retrospect, he was a madman) and most recently Ian Holloway.

And so by all means, if we reach those crossroads and decide the only option is to pull the trigger then so be it. But we had better have done our homework first on who we want to replace him.

Whatever we do now carries risk, but one route is more familiar than the other. If we decide to go in the other direction we have to be very confident it’s the best one to take.

Steady eddies are ok and a fair description of hurst tbf but I just think football like all walks of life as moved on.  We appear tactically behind many teams we don’t have a set style of play and even if we do grab that 7th spot which looks unlikely I can’t see us beating the teams above us.  We’ve all seen his interviews he looks broken he certainly doesn’t look like a man whose going to drive us forward.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 78
lukeo
January 29, 2022, 8:22am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,294
Gold Stars: 134
Page 3 of this thread. Poojah and big Chris, best 2 posts I've seen on here for a long time. UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 78
dapperz fun pub
January 29, 2022, 11:00am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from lukeo
Page 3 of this thread. Poojah and big Chris, best 2 posts I've seen on here for a long time. UTM.

Big Chris makes the point people have a option of supporting or not , gates are standing up fairly well at the moment but that won’t last forever if we can’t challenge the play off spots  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 78
Gaffer58
January 29, 2022, 2:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
Gold Stars: 31
So those that still give Mr Hurst 100%, at what point would you decide that enough is enough ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 78
GrimPol
January 29, 2022, 5:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -655
Gold Stars: 69
Exactly, a safe pair of hands. No hysterics, no rants, no gobbledegook, no one-liners nobody understands, no whinges, no promises etc etc etc.
Yes, the guy looks beaten lately, but how many ways can you say we were rubbish. Why did a player get sent off and we lost, why did a player pass back short, and we lost?  Amos today put us under the cosh today, and I'm positive the team didn't train to do that.  
Hurst has been here less than 13 months, let's wait until the end of the season and then see.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 78
ginnywings
January 29, 2022, 6:33pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Gaffer58
So those that still give Mr Hurst 100%, at what point would you decide that enough is enough ?

Doesn't matter. He's here until the board decide otherwise, so either support him or don't.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 78
lukeo
January 29, 2022, 6:40pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,294
Gold Stars: 134
Quoted from Gaffer58

For me personally if it gets to the point we can't get into the playoffs position this season (mathematically) if it goes down to the last couple of games then I'm not sure what to think. My personal hope and expectation is a top 7 finish. I don't expect us to be promoted (obviously I want us to be) but I expect us to get into that top 7.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 78
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › I am still 100% behind Paul Hurst

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.