lew chaterleys lover
January 28, 2022, 2:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from arryarryarry

I hope that's bullshit otherwise my thoughts on the current owners will be unprintable even on here.

I presume they just wanted someone who knew the club, was experienced in football circles and a relatively safe pair of hands so they could leave all of the football side to him, whilst they concentrated on transforming the club in all other areas.

A good strategy in theory, but not if said manager has a really really bad run which he cannot put right.

They will be hoping even more than us that tomorrow sees the start of an upturn in fortunes or they might have to rethink a few things.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 78
pen penfras
January 28, 2022, 2:32pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -137
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Oly1987

Its even worse when you consider Hurst takes up what nearly 7 of those years? So its actually 20 in 13 years if you take him out the equation

It's also bullshit, so wouldn't really pay much notice to it. A bit like Hurst has only won 10% of his last 100 games, it's not true and the truth is bad enough. We've had a lot of managers, but it isn't that many.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 78
Roast Em Bobby
January 28, 2022, 2:35pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,706
Gold Stars: 43
I presume they think it is better to trust the only manager who has earned us a promotion in the last 20 years than keep changing manager every time we hit a bad run of form.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 78
quebec38
January 28, 2022, 2:40pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,549
Gold Stars: 44
I thought that Elliott Jackson said Hurst was on a rolling contract the other week though I may have misheard. I’m also unsure what the rolling terms were.

I doubt it would be a case of paying him off until 2023 if he were to be relieved of his duty. I remember people getting carried away about Pardew’s 8 year deal at Newcastle. If/when he got sacked he was never getting 8 years pay off, I think it was about 2. I imagine it would be something similar.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 78
jamesgtfc
January 28, 2022, 2:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,815
Gold Stars: 187
Quoted from quebec38
I thought that Elliott Jackson said Hurst was on a rolling contract the other week though I may have misheard. I’m also unsure what the rolling terms were.

I doubt it would be a case of paying him off until 2023 if he were to be relieved of his duty. I remember people getting carried away about Pardew’s 8 year deal at Newcastle. If/when he got sacked he was never getting 8 years pay off, I think it was about 2. I imagine it would be something similar.

I thought it was an initial 18 month deal and then a 12 month rolling deal after that. Whether he's got 4 months left or 12 months left now is another question though....
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 78
GrimPol
January 28, 2022, 4:12pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -670
Gold Stars: 68
Well, for those calling for the Merry Go Round manager recruitment to spin ever faster, the sobering thought is that we will only recruit somebody who was sacked somewhere else or recruit from Div 6 or give a job to someone who's never held that position. Klopp, Mourinho or Guardiola won't come is my bet.
Instead of running around like Blue Bottom Fly's, let's give the man his chance, as the team started off superbly and have floundered inexplicably, so they can play if they find their Mojo again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 78
ginnywings
January 28, 2022, 4:34pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537

It is results that will determine his fate. That much is obvious. Nobody is going to give him 2/3 years or even next season if the current trajectory of results continues. Paul Hurst knows that every manager knows that.

What evidence have we got that sticking with the same manager for years would produce anything different? The law of averages maybe that eventually it would come good but equally a new manager could come in, get the players firing again and reach the play-offs.

We might turn it around under Hurst, let's hope we do, but the idea of sticking with a failing manager with all the advantages he has got in this league is a non-starter. Crowds will dwindle, interest will wane and then we will have a bigger rebuilding job later on.

I don't disagree we have had far too many managers, but this board have got a far better story to tell to prospective applicants if and when Hurst leaves.  

Can't believe you are asking what evidence there is that sticking with a manager works. The only success we have had in 2 decades is when we did just that with Hurst. First season didn't produce much, but then it was play offs every season after that.

Buckley didn't do much in his first season and neither did Slade 1. Both took a while to turn the ship round after average first seasons. Both had people calling for their heads. I think some are expecting us to waltz the league because it's not the EFL and we are 'massive'.

This league is much stronger than last time and I reckon most teams in the top half could cope in league 2.

Changing managers could well be a success, but it could just as easily leave us no better off than we are now.

Hurst made us better by increments last time and I think he will do the same again if left to get on with it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 78
jamesgtfc
January 28, 2022, 4:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,815
Gold Stars: 187
Quoted from ginnywings

Can't believe you are asking what evidence there is that sticking with a manager works. The only success we have had in 2 decades is when we did just that with Hurst. First season didn't produce much, but then it was play offs every season after that.

Buckley didn't do much in his first season and neither did Slade 1. Both took a while to turn the ship round after average first seasons. Both had people calling for their heads. I think some are expecting us to waltz the league because it's not the EFL and we are 'massive'.

This league is much stronger than last time and I reckon most teams in the top half could cope in league 2.

Changing managers could well be a success, but it could just as easily leave us no better off than we are now.

Hurst made us better by increments last time and I think he will do the same again if left to get on with it.

Buckley 2 did the business in his first season though. Huge exception to the rule though given the money at his disposal and a large portion of the team were already known to him.

To prove we are going in the right direction I think we need to see a few of his signings remain here next season. It seems quite clear to me that Scannell, Grant and Spokes will be sent packing in the summer; the first 2 will free up a large chunk of the budget I imagine. It looks inevitable at the moment that McKeown will be going too which again, will free up a large chunk of the budget I imagine.

In terms of building something I would like to see us tie down Efete, Crookes, Amos, Clifton, Fox, Taylor as a minimum on top of Pearson, McAtee and JMD that already here next season. Longe-King is under contract but it's likely he will be moved on in the summer I imagine.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 78
nightrider
January 28, 2022, 4:59pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from ginnywings

So what you're saying could basically apply to any manager we've ever had.

I presume you mean the league as a whole is better, although I don't see why that matters when we're trying to come first.
In terms of the top few teams, this league definitely isn't better than last time. I thought it would be, but it isn't.

I

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 78
MuddyWaters
January 28, 2022, 5:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,880
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Buckley 2 did the business in his first season though. Huge exception to the rule though given the money at his disposal and a large portion of the team were already known to him.

To prove we are going in the right direction I think we need to see a few of his signings remain here next season. It seems quite clear to me that Scannell, Grant and Spokes will be sent packing in the summer; the first 2 will free up a large chunk of the budget I imagine. It looks inevitable at the moment that McKeown will be going too which again, will free up a large chunk of the budget I imagine.

In terms of building something I would like to see us tie down Efete, Crookes, Amos, Clifton, Fox, Taylor as a minimum on top of Pearson, McAtee and JMD that already here next season. Longe-King is under contract but it's likely he will be moved on in the summer I imagine.

I’m immediately drawn to the fact that you would keep a left back who was dropped on Tuesday after two appearances. I quite like Adam Crookes but I don’t think he gets forward enough to be part of a promotion winning squad either.
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 78
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › I am still 100% behind Paul Hurst

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.